Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1329 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #39841 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindros88 View Post
I'm returning my Polk speakers. The ear fatigue is not something I'm willing to overlook. I'm switching back to my energy take classic system. The whole reason I upgraded to the cs2 and monitor70s was because I wanted a little more power. Would I be better off just buying a new subwoofer instead?

I know that by pushing my RTI A9's into the corner the sound was tamed when compared to moving them out 12 inches from their corner.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39842 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm returning my Polk speakers. The ear fatigue is not something I'm willing to overlook. I'm switching back to my energy take classic system. The whole reason I upgraded to the cs2 and monitor70s was because I wanted a little more power. Would I be better off just buying a new subwoofer instead?

what sub do you have now? how big is your room you are trying to fill with sound?

post #39843 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
what sub do you have now? how big is your room you are trying to fill with sound?
he has an energy take system now in an irregular 13x13x8 ish room.

this very much sounds like a placement issue. I would like to get a pic of the setup and the distance of speakers from wall and MLP
post #39844 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

he complained of boomy base when the speaker was set to large. which sounds like they are close to a wall. how much of the fatigue is do to the monitor being a little bright or a first reflection point is the big question he needs to figure out.
post #39845 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
what does a little more power mean? louder or more chest punch?
Chest punch. Is that even possible to accomplish without spending a fortune? I actually like the sound quality of the energy take classic system, it's just that I wanted the sound to have more punch to it.
post #39846 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Quote:
he complained of boomy base when the speaker was set to large. which sounds like they are close to a wall. how much of the fatigue is do to the monitor being a little bright or a first reflection point is the big question he needs to figure out.
Yes, the left monitor70 is close to a wall. Within a foot. Unfortunately due to the shape of my room, this can't be avoided. When I adjusted the crossover, it did help with the boominess, but not the ear fatigue. The weird thing is that the monitor70s don't sound bright at all, yet I'm still experiencing ear fatigue. Usually within about 20 minutes of listening.
post #39847 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

chest punch is mid bass not so much subwoofer. but you won't get much of it from a 3 inch driver like what is in the energy take. you probably need to look at 5 or 6 inch drivers. you should get that from the monitor 70 if your not you managed to put them in a location causing a null in the 60-300 range.
post #39848 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Quote:
chest punch is mid bass not so much subwoofer. but you won't get much of it from a 3 inch driver like what is in the energy take. you probably need to look at 5 or 6 inch drivers. you should get that from the monitor 70 if your not you managed to put them in a location causing a null in the 60-300 range.
So if I were to pull the left speaker far enough away from the sidewall (maybe a foot?) and rerun calibration, it should eliminate ear fatigue and achieve chest thumping bass?
post #39849 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So if I were to pull the left speaker far enough away from the sidewall (maybe a foot?) and rerun calibration, it should eliminate ear fatigue and achieve chest thumping bass?

I do not see chest thumping bass from the 70's, I have the A9 and I cannot get it from them running 200 RMS to each one.

post #39850 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I do not see chest thumping bass from the 70's, I have the A9 and I cannot get it from them running 200 RMS to each one.
Is it true that chest punch is more dependent on mid bass like pretzel said, rather than a good subwoofer?
post #39851 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
I know that a number of long-time (and knowledgeable) posters here are down on the Monitor series--and there is no disputing that the RTi(A) and LSi(M) series are superior--but just to give you another data point I wanted to let you know that I am running a 11.1 Monitor setup with 75t's (a newer but essentially identical version of the 70's) as mains and I never get fatigued listening to them. I generally play music all day long when I am home, and both music and movies sound fantastic on my system (powered by a 140W/ch AVR-X5200W). I consider my speaker system a great value for the relatively modest cost.

I hope you find the solution that is right for you, but you've already gotten a lot of good advice here on avenues of investigation. Good luck!
Sn95 likes this.
post #39852 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I know that a number of long-time (and knowledgeable) posters here are down on the Monitor series--and there is no disputing that the RTi(A) and LSi(M) series are superior--but just to give you another data point I wanted to let you know that I am running a 11.1 Monitor setup with 75t's (a newer but essentially identical version of the 70's) as mains and I never get fatigued listening to them. I generally play music all day long when I am home, and both music and movies sound fantastic on my system (powered by a 140W/ch AVR-X5200W). I consider my speaker system a great value for the relatively modest cost.

I hope you find the solution that is right for you, but you've already gotten a lot of good advice here on avenues of investigation. Good luck!
Thanks. I would be thrilled if I could get the performance that I wanted out of these speakers. Do you think pulling the left speaker a foot away from the wall could make the difference?
post #39853 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I would be thrilled if I could get the performance that I wanted out of these speakers. Do you think pulling the left speaker a foot away from the wall could make the difference?

try it and let us know.

post #39854 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Do you get chest thumping bass with this setup?
post #39855 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

not sure where you sit rough estimate fl at 2ft from wall and 1.5 into the room with fr 2.8 from the wall and 1.5 in. with main seating at 1.4 from back wall and 6.5 from side wall or 5.8 from the front wall. otherwise you have probably a dip in the 80 to 120hz range. you might try putting the cross over at 120 with the energy and move the subwoofer into each corner for better response.

this is just based on a 13x13 room simulation
post #39856 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

Quote:
try it and let us know.
I'll do it now. I'll post my results soon.
post #39857 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I know that a number of long-time (and knowledgeable) posters here are down on the Monitor series-- I consider my speaker system a great value for the relatively modest cost.
Not really "down" on Monitors, but realize (or have learned) that they are after all the low tier of the Polk product line. Many of us who now own Rti's or Lsi's gave Monitors an honest try.... having invested a lot of time and money and ended up feeling that we could do better. They do indeed deliver good sound at a very affordable price, which is especially important for those with other financial priorities in life. Some are happy with a Ford and others must own a Mercedes. What is most important is that you are happy with what you have, and it sounds like you are! (what's the Sheryl Crow song?)

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #39858 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 08:50 PM

I moved the left speaker away from the wall and did another calibration. I'm still not happy with the results. I still get ear fatigue within minutes and bass that I can hear rather than feel. What does it take to get chest pounding bass?
post #39859 of 39865 Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 563
Quote:
I moved the left speaker away from the wall and did another calibration. I'm still not happy with the results. I still get ear fatigue within minutes and bass that I can hear rather than feel. What does it take to get chest pounding bass?
Better speakers and gear and a BIG sub.

If you don't realize that, it's gonna suck to be you.

With that I'm done with this thread and likely forum.

They ain't gonna change that much, you can't make entry level speakers sound phenomenal. Maybe they just aren't for you.

Last edited by EndersShadow; Yesterday at 09:17 PM.
post #39860 of 39865 Old Today, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you get chest thumping bass with this setup?
It sounds like you just need a meatier subwoofer. Or have you removed the SW from your setup to see how deep the 70's will dig?

And yes, my system (75t's XO'd at 80Hz and w/PSW505) will rattle the shelves and shake the sofa. I've got a dual DTS Neo:X 11.1 & Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 configuration (14 speakers total) in my main listening zone, and when I play the Atmos demo disk's "Amaze" trailer the cat goes streaking out of the room in terror!

But then, I'm not a headbanger looking for cheap thrills; I'm 64 years old and want to be able to appreciate good cinema and music.
climber07 likes this.
post #39861 of 39865 Old Today, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Not really "down" on Monitors, but realize (or have learned) that they are after all the low tier of the Polk product line. Many of us who now own Rti's or Lsi's gave Monitors an honest try.... having invested a lot of time and money and ended up feeling that we could do better. They do indeed deliver good sound at a very affordable price, which is especially important for those with other financial priorities in life. Some are happy with a Ford and others must own a Mercedes. What is most important is that you are happy with what you have, and it sounds like you are! (what's the Sheryl Crow song?)
Ah, but how elusive true happiness is! I am very pleased with how good my system sounds, but I am constantly wondering how much I might gain by upping the ante. I would be willing to sell the lot and start over with RTi's or LSiM's if I were convinced that the audible improvement would be substantial. (I seriously considered doing so during last year's Friends & Family sale.)

Ergo my interest in our recent discussion comparing these lines. I don't want to spend several thousand dollars on new speakers without a better appreciation for whether the changeover will be worth it to my decidedly pedestrian old ears.

As I've said previously, I don't do any critical (hi-rez) music listening; most of my music sources are either LP's, CD's, or streaming MP3's at around 192kbps. But we watch a lot of movies on Blu-ray, and the HD audio soundtracks (haven't played any Atmos movies yet) are rendered beautifully on my current system. And this despite the fact that, since it's not a dedicated HT, I've had to make a number of compromises on speaker positions and acoustics.

If there were an easy way to "audition" a complete set of RTi's or LSiM's in my room, I'd jump at the chance, believe me!! But the logistics alone would entail quite an effort. So I thank you, and the others here, who are willing to contribute their impressions on the subject.
post #39862 of 39865 Old Today, 08:04 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you just need a meatier subwoofer. Or have you removed the SW from your setup to see how deep the 70's will dig?

And yes, my system (75t's XO'd at 80Hz and w/PSW505) will rattle the shelves and shake the sofa. I've got a dual DTS Neo:X 11.1 & Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 configuration (14 speakers total) in my main listening zone, and when I play the Atmos demo disk's "Amaze" trailer the cat goes streaking out of the room in terror!

But then, I'm not a headbanger looking for cheap thrills; I'm 64 years old and want to be able to appreciate good cinema and music.
No, I haven't removed the subwoofer. I'm still using the Energy Take Classic subwoofer. I was thinking about upgrading to a better one, but I'm not sure yet. I heard that the subwoofer isn't even responsible for producing the chest thumping effect.
post #39863 of 39865 Old Today, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
No, I haven't removed the subwoofer. I'm still using the Energy Take Classic subwoofer. I was thinking about upgrading to a better one, but I'm not sure yet. I heard that the subwoofer isn't even responsible for producing the chest thumping effect.
Chest thump takes a lot of sound pressure in the mid to upper bass regions and that requires a lot of power and a clean subwoofer with minimal distortion. High SPL, mostly at higher listening volumes that approach reference levels, will provide that chest thump you desire. Here's a chart that shows where sounds and instruments fall in on the frequency spectrum.

A properly crossed over system will have a smooth transition from upper bass from the subs to midrange for the main speakers, effectively giving you the thump you are looking for. It should be invisible to you and sound like all the sound it emanating from the air in front of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main_chart.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	526.4 KB
ID:	576153  
Lindros88, chi_guy50 and Geoff4RFC like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...

Last edited by climber07; Today at 08:59 AM.
post #39864 of 39865 Old Today, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn95 View Post
So just to make sure I am understanding you correctly, what you're saying is that anything lesser than the 3313 I cannot reassign the amps to buy amp my front speakers?

I agree with Rob, not worth the time except only to experiment in order to say that you tried it yourself. I found no audible gain from this tactic.....

Quote:

As I had explained to Nodes once you should have an unbroken plane between your mains, and yes, giving the M70's room to "breath" would be beneficial in S.Q. Give it a try and see what you hear.

Quote:

I hooked my M70's up to one of my stereo amps and ran it full (300wpc), I felt the bass in the floor between the set up and my seat. I set my stereo amps to bridged and fed my A9's approx. 860wpc and ran them at full and had my theater seats acting like they had bass attachments in them and had all six 7" woofers slapping in and out of the cabinet (Tron Legacy blu).

Quote:
I know that a number of long-time (and knowledgeable) posters here are down on the Monitor series--and there is no disputing that the RTi(A) and LSi(M) series are superior-!

Actually, I liked the Monitor line and believe it's a very good value, of course they can be made better with set up and additional power, but none the less, I've always liked them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Chest thump takes a lot of sound pressure in the mid to upper bass regions and that requires a lot of power and a clean subwoofer with minimal distortion. High SPL, mostly at higher listening volumes that approach reference levels, will provide that chest thump you desire. Here's a chart that shows where sounds and instruments fall in on the frequency spectrum.

A properly crossed over system will have a smooth transition from upper bass from the subs to midrange for the main speakers, effectively giving you the thump you are looking for. It should be invisible to you and sound like all the sound it emanating from the air in front of you.

Nicely said Professor, I'm inviting you to bring your set up gear to my place and give me the hook up.......please
chi_guy50 likes this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #39865 of 39865 Old Today, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
I hooked my M70's up to one of my stereo amps and ran it full (300wpc), I felt the bass in the floor between the set up and my seat. I set my stereo amps to bridged and fed my A9's approx. 860wpc and ran them at full and had my theater seats acting like they had bass attachments in them and had all six 7" woofers slapping in and out of the cabinet (Tron Legacy blu).

Actually, I liked the Monitor line and believe it's a very good value, of course they can be made better with set up and additional power, but none the less, I've always liked them!
Good to hear that I'm not the only one here who espouses that opinion. (N.B.: On newegg.com, with over 360 total user reviews for the 70 and 75t, over 90% give them four eggs or better and over 80% a maximum five out of five eggs.)
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com