Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1331 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #39901 of 39918 Old Today, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435 View Post
I think the comment that A6 wont overpower A1 is nonsense. you have a 6 1/2 woofer on your center and 5 1/4 on your fronts. To each his own..
OK, but the entire RTiA line is within 1 dB with regard to sensitivity. The actual sound output, measured at 1 meter, for the same input power, is virtually the same. The difference from the A4 to the A6 is 1 dB, barely noticeable and easily compensated for if you did notice it.

Likely he doesn't need the very marginal extra power handling of the A6, and I'm not sure about the lower frequency extension, so my suggestion was to try it out to see if he had a preference. I have it because it was the only option at the time, and it's working great--no overpowering issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39902 of 39918 Old Today, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
OK, but the entire RTiA line is within 1 dB with regard to sensitivity. The actual sound output, measured at 1 meter, for the same input power, is virtually the same. The difference from the A4 to the A6 is 1 dB, barely noticeable and easily compensated for if you did notice it.

Likely he doesn't need the very marginal extra power handling of the A6, and I'm not sure about the lower frequency extension, so my suggestion was to try it out to see if he had a preference. I have it because it was the only option at the time, and it's working great--no overpowering issues.
I would go with RTIA3 as you fronts and sell off the RTIA1 you have. I think that would be a better option.
post #39903 of 39918 Old Today, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuru View Post
I'm using a really cheap sub right now, but a Rythmik FV15HP is on it's way.
Well, there you go; that should make a huge difference. And yet you still have upgraditis before the new SW is even installed? You've got it bad, brother!

Quote:
My goal? It seems awfully silly to say "have the best movie experience with a small(er) budget", without towers and only 5.1, but I guess that's it.
I don't follow your "small(er) budget" line of reasoning. Unless it fell off a truck, that new SW is going to set you back a pretty penny. No coin left over for the rest of the setup?
post #39904 of 39918 Old Today, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
I would go with RTIA3 as you fronts and sell off the RTIA1 you have. I think that would be a better option.
Thank you. I have considered it, especially since I have a rather large space. I have started to question the specific gains that would give me, though, so I am looking at other options.

I'm not the one who asked the original question about upgrading, though. I simply responded because I have experience with an A1/A6 setup.
post #39905 of 39918 Old Today, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
Thank you. I have considered it, especially since I have a rather large space. I have started to question the specific gains that would give me, though, so I am looking at other options.

I'm not the one who asked the original question about upgrading, though. I simply responded because I have experience with an A1/A6 setup.
You should get some A3 and see how they sound. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

After I upgraded my dedicated theater room setup. I haven't wanted anything else for the last couple of years, but I do want to get a high end sub. I have other priorities.
post #39906 of 39918 Old Today, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
You should get some A3 and see how they sound. I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

After I upgraded my dedicated theater room setup. I haven't wanted anything else for the last couple of years, but I do want to get a high end sub. I have other priorities.
So, 4x A3s + A6 would be a marked improvement over 4x A1s + A4? I really love these A1s and Polk, so if there's a nice gain by the A3s, I'd think about it... I'm not going to be listening at super high levels regardless. I turned it up to about the highest I'd ever watch a movie at, and my dB meter was reading ~95.
post #39907 of 39918 Old Today, 03:22 PM

Quote:
So, 4x A3s + A6 would be a marked improvement over 4x A1s + A4? I really love these A1s and Polk, so if there's a nice gain by the A3s, I'd think about it... I'm not going to be listening at super high levels regardless. I turned it up to about the highest I'd ever watch a movie at, and my dB meter was reading ~95.
I would go with the A3 fronts and A1 as rears. Your choice on center channel. I believe that the A6 is better suited with towers, but many other have disagreed. The rears arent nearly as important as your fronts because most of the sound in movies, TV, and music is coming at you from the front. That is why I noticed such a big difference from Monitor 50 to RTI10's.

I still enjoy watching movies and shows in bed with my monitor 50, 30, and cs2.

I also noticed that the better speakers I got the lower I listened to show because it was much more clear and precise. If that makes sense. My volume is lower on the my new setup then when I was using my monitor setup.
post #39908 of 39918 Old Today, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I would go with the A3 fronts and A1 as rears.
That's pretty much in line with what I suggested. At 2300 cu. ft., I'm guessing your room is long enough to allow you to reposition your current A1 fronts as SB for a 7.1 setup.
post #39909 of 39918 Old Today, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
That's pretty much in line with what I suggested. At 2300 cu. ft., I'm guessing your room is long enough to allow you to reposition your current A1 fronts as SB for a 7.1 setup.
There are only a handful of movies with 7.1 soundtracks. that is a big reason I haven't upgraded to 7.1 yet.
post #39910 of 39918 Old Today, 03:46 PM

Quote:
It's actually not. The couch is flush against the wall, thus I have my surround speakers just over 90 degrees from my listening angle. From all I've read, I don't have enough space to do a proper 7.1 setup.

So, I guess the consensus is that upgrading the fronts to A3s would be a sizable upgrade?

Last edited by MrGuru; Today at 03:54 PM.
post #39911 of 39918 Old Today, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There are only a handful of movies with 7.1 soundtracks. that is a big reason I haven't upgraded to 7.1 yet.
I was addressing my comments to OP; sorry for the confusion.

But, to your point, I personally believe in the axiom "Mo' speakers, mo' better." I never have less than 12 speakers engaged (including SW) in any listening mode and enjoy the "bubble" of envelopment from this setup. I watch movies in Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4 and listen to music in DTS Neo:X 11.1. Your preferences may lie elsewhere.

Quote:
It's actually not. The couch is flush against the wall, thus I have my surround speakers just over 90 degrees from my listening angle. From all I've read, I don't have enough space to do a proper 7.1 setup.
Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm not saying that you should have SB's, just that it is probably doable.

Without having seen your room layout, I'd wager that you have room if you're willing to move some furniture and/or speakers around. For one thing, the surrounds are going to be further to your side than the SB's, which should be directly behind the MLP. Also, if you needed additional separation in relation to the SB's you could move your surrounds slightly forward of the MLP; or, assuming your surrounds are at ear level, you could position your SB's slightly above ear level (up to 1.25 times the height).

At any rate, if you were to replace the A1's with A3's up front, I would experiment with reutilizing the spare A1's as SB before parting with them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolby 7.1 speaker layout.png
Views:	30
Size:	756.5 KB
ID:	585601  
post #39912 of 39918 Old Today, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
So, I guess the consensus is that upgrading the fronts to A3s would be a sizable upgrade?
That's pretty much what I'm running in the family room for TV (check my post earlier today). I'm using the Rti6, Rti4's and a Csi3, which is basically the same as the A3/A1/A4 just the older cabinet style. Nice thing about the smaller center is there is no rear port. It's a sealed cabinet so you can stuff it under a TV riser without affecting the sound.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #39913 of 39918 Old Today, 04:19 PM

Quote:

But, to your point, I personally believe in the axiom "Mo' speakers, mo' better." I never have less than 12 speakers engaged (including SW) in any listening mode and enjoy the "bubble" of envelopment from this setup. I watch movies in Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4 and listen to music in DTS Neo:X 11.1. Your preferences may lie elsewhere.
you are absolutely right, I have other priorities then a 11.1 setup.

My company is in commercial real estate and we built a dolby atmos theater and Imax theater. I got to talk to the actual reps for the companies. They run 5.1 in their homes and go to the actual theaters for big time sound and picture.

I am good with my humble setup
post #39914 of 39918 Old Today, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm not saying that you should have SB's, just that it is probably doable.

Without having seen your room layout, I'd wager that you have room if you're willing to move some furniture and/or speakers around. For one thing, the surrounds are going to be further to your side than the SB's, which should be directly behind the MLP. Also, if you needed additional separation in relation to the SB's you could move your surrounds slightly forward of the MLP; or, assuming your surrounds are at ear level, you could position your SB's slightly above ear level (up to 1.25 times the height).

At any rate, if you were to replace the A1's with A3's up front, I would experiment with reutilizing the spare A1's as SB before parting with them.

I crudely drew a layout of my room - let me know if you have any questions. Note: the four corner speakers are all about 6.5' off of the ground - just the way it works.

I don't really think moving the couch forwards or anything is really feasible, but I can see mounting two Surround backs behind the couch...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	htroom.png
Views:	8
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	585641  
post #39915 of 39918 Old Today, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I crudely drew a layout of my room - let me know if you have any questions. Note: the four corner speakers are all about 6.5' off of the ground - just the way it works.

I don't really think moving the couch forwards or anything is really feasible, but I can see mounting two Surround backs behind the couch...
It's your room, your ears (and your budget).

If you want to try out SB's I would either move the couch or the surrounds (or, ideally, both) forward; I don't see much value in having surrounds and SB's on the same horizontal plane. But nothing is chiseled in stone; if you have the speakers and wire in hand, it's an interesting and relatively easy experiment to try out different configurations and placements to see how they affect the sound bubble. Remember, virtually everybody here has made some compromises in their HT setups.
post #39916 of 39918 Old Today, 05:23 PM

Quote:
It's your room, your ears (and your budget).

If you want to try out SB's I would either move the couch or the surrounds (or, ideally, both) forward; I don't see much value in having surrounds and SB's on the same horizontal plane. But nothing is chiseled in stone; if you have the speakers and wire in hand, it's an interesting and relatively easy experiment to try out different configurations and placements to see how they affect the sound bubble. Remember, virtually everybody here has made some compromises in their HT setups.
Well, moving the side surrounds isn't really an option either (my wife lets me have quite a bit of freedom in gearing up, but the layout is pretty rigid), so I think that getting the A3s for the front and keeping the A1s for the back wouldn't be a bad way to go.
post #39917 of 39918 Old Today, 06:57 PM

So now, I guess do I just pair the A3s with the A6 and keep the fronts at all 6.5"?
post #39918 of 39918 Old Today, 08:25 PM

Liked: 14
I have a great discount on Polk towers right now, and I'm thinking about upgrading from my Pioneer FS52's. Tonally, I think they're just about perfect. I was looking into three options. The Tsx550T, the RTi A7, and the RTi A9. The A7 and the 550T are the same price, and the A9 are about 40% more. I am sourcing them from a Marantz SR5009 (which can bi-amp) and using a Klipsch R-12SW. I am sitting about 10ft from the speakers.

I'm wondering if the A9 would be worth the extra cost, and if either of the RTi series would sound good to me. I've heard many say they are bright, especially compared to the Tsx550T. I have the Tsx220B's already, and they are fantastic, but a tiny bit too dark for my likings. I also think they tend to be a bit less open than the Pioneer, and a bit less clear.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

Source: Lenovo Y40, Marantz TT42P
Display: ISF Calibrated Panasonic TC-55AS680U
Audio: Marantz SR5009 > Pioneer FS52/Klipsch R-12SW
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com