Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1332 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #39931 of 39940 Old Today, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
The downside is that you'd lose some low end, but the upside is that you'd gain clairity and kickass mid's. That down side, of course, can be counteracted with a good sub. Unlike Gus, Geoff and myself think the RTI line kicks ass for music...and I hate bright speakers, so take it for what it's worth. I think your idea of 4 RTIA5's and a CSIA6 (along with a sub) is a real good one.
Thanks so much for that feedback (it doesn't hurt that you're telling me what I want to hear). I'm using the PSW505, which I love, and which is as big and powerful a SW as I can reasonably accommodate--both for the sake of the room's aesthetics as well as for the quality of life of the condo unit owner below us!

What do you think about mixing the RTi's and the OWM5's? (N.B.: They do have different tweeters, but I noticed that the RTiA product brochure includes the OWM3--but not the OWM5 for some reason; can one infer from this fact that Polk considers them suitable companions?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #39932 of 39940 Old Today, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Thanks so much for that feedback (it doesn't hurt that you're telling me what I want to hear). I'm using the PSW505... both for the sake of the room's aesthetics as well as for the quality of life of the condo unit owner below us!
DO NOT go out and get a PSA sub if you live in a condo. Your neighbors will hate you.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #39933 of 39940 Old Today, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
DO NOT go out and get a PSA sub if you live in a condo. Your neighbors will hate you.
get 4 your neighbors will be brain dead and a non issue...
post #39934 of 39940 Old Today, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for that feedback (it doesn't hurt that you're telling me what I want to hear). I'm using the PSW505, which I love, and which is as big and powerful a SW as I can reasonably accommodate--both for the sake of the room's aesthetics as well as for the quality of life of the condo unit owner below us!

What do you think about mixing the RTi's and the OWM5's? (N.B.: They do have different tweeters, but I noticed that the RTiA product brochure includes the OWM3--but not the OWM5 for some reason; can one infer from this fact that Polk considers them suitable companions?)
the only time I was like holly * that sounds nasty with surrounds was when I first upgraded the front channel to monitor 50 and the rears had the sony plastic satellite speaker. I changed the rear to monitor 30 after that. later I upgraded the front to lsim and didn't notice the rear channel(i don't listen 5.1 music but even in nero no issue.) I did change the rears to fxia4 later for the slimmer profile.
post #39935 of 39940 Old Today, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
You're assuming they like me to begin with?

We never play anything at anywhere approaching reference level and the bass is already as intense as I could want it to be (I usual run the SW at 3dB hotter than Audyssey sets it).

It just so happens that the PSW505 (which I got NIB from newegg for $190) fits perfectly under an end table between the FL and FW/L speakers where it's out of the way and perfectly unobtrusive--until I play something that makes the shelves rattle, that is.
post #39936 of 39940 Old Today, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Talking

Quote:
You're assuming they like me to begin with?

We never play anything at anywhere approaching reference level and the bass is already as intense as I could want it to be (I usual run the SW at 3dB hotter than Audyssey sets it).

It just so happens that the PSW505 (which I got NIB from newegg for $190) fits perfectly under an end table between the FL and FW/L speakers where it's out of the way and perfectly unobtrusive--until I play something that makes the shelves rattle, that is.
a rythmik f12 would probably fit. and the "intense" bass is because the psw505 is a sloppy boomy mess of a subwoofer.
post #39937 of 39940 Old Today, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
a rythmik f12 would probably fit. and the "intense" bass is because the psw505 is a sloppy boomy mess of a subwoofer.
But what do you really think of it?

And you're right--the f12 would just barely fit! At over four times the price I would hope it outperforms the PSW505.

Last edited by chi_guy50; Today at 01:59 PM.
post #39938 of 39940 Old Today, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
But what do you really think of it?

And you're right--the f12 would just barely fit! At over four times the price I would hope it outperforms the PSW505.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
I had to laugh at that one Fisch. I was thinking, don't beat around the bush and sugar coat it. Just tell him how you really feel man.

Even my JBL subs, which are heads and shoulders above the Polk subs, sounded sloppy and boomy compared to my current subs. Maybe I should get a set of Paradigm Sub2s and see if my current subs are sloppy? It's only $20K for the pair.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...

Last edited by climber07; Today at 02:42 PM.
post #39939 of 39940 Old Today, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
I was with you until the don't come close statement. A7's maybe don't come close, but A9's? Come over to my place and I'll give you a demonstration that "should" change your mind.

Of course, I'll go on record and state that my four A9's don't hold a candle to my two Empires in power delivery, or the ability to move as much air as the other, but the accuracy is there. In fact I screwed myself once by giving my wife a demonstration of the A9's capabilities, the LFE was felt in the floor and transferred into the seats we were in. Instead of being impressed, she looked at me and quipped "Why do we need the subs again".....oops

I stand by my statement. The A7 & A9 are a great speaker but they do not hold a candle to a quality ID sub in 15-80hz bass reproduction. They do sound awesome, I have watched movies with no subs and was impressed with how good the bass is, but they do nothing below 30hz...which is to be expected. Also the port tune contributes to the audible bass range which adds a slight amount ringing to the bass. However I absolutely preferred them over a pair of PSW505's I had...the A7's blew them away in quality.

Fwiw I have heard A9's, they have a couple DB more clean head room over a A7 with proper amplification. They do not dig any lower and the tweeter starts to compress and get a tinge of harshness when driven at extreme levels. Some act like A9's are SO superior to A7's and that is simply not true. Adding 1 more 7" bass driver only increase displacement by 25%, that equals 1db feeding both speakers the same amplification. They are significantly better in the mid bass range being they have dual 5 1/2" mid bass drivers, but again the tweeters are the same...Harsh when driven hard! I am not talking what most consider loud, I am talking about concert level! I have been a Polk fan for 20yrs but there are better options if you want a reference level+ capable speaker that is not fatiguing to the ear.

That being said the whole point was there is no need for a A9 or A7 if you have quality subwoofers. Some just like the look of big towers and assume that it must be better and that is simply not true.

I am sure 4 A9's with good amplification sound great full range, was not implying otherwise.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #39940 of 39940 Old Today, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:

Here's the description on Polk Ebay for the OWM5's:
“Match with OMW5/3, Monitor/II/II, TSi out of wall -or- RCi, MC, SC in wall/ceiling speakers. Can be wall mounted 7 different ways!”

Here's what it says about the 65RT (another in wall):
“Match with RT, TCi in wall/ceiling -or- RTi/A, OWM3 out of wall speakers”
Weird that they mention the OWM3 but not the 5 You may want to contact Polk to make sure.

WDTV Live SMP with 5TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB
Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR
Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR
Technics SL-B20 Turntable
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page