Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1338 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #40111 of 40139 Old 03-25-2015, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yup. I called them. they wouldn't let me. But, i got a extra coupon code from a fellow member !..

they only have black in stock. i wish i could get cherry..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40112 of 40139 Old 03-25-2015, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, I have a chance to make an upgrade, and I'd like your opinion.

We're finishing the basement and moving the TV to a 13x25 room. It's used primarily for movies and games.

I currently have a 5.0 setup with Monitor 40s for the fronts, a CS2 center, and old hand-me-down rears. I'm thinking of a couple options for the front:
1) Upgrade to Monitor 60s
2) RTi8s (newegg has a good price right now) - would they sound ok with the CS2?
3) Keep the Monitor 40s and add a sub (PSW505 vs BIC F12?)

I also need to change the rears. WAF has ruled out moving the M40s to the back (they'd be hanging from the wall in the middle of a ~25' deep room), so I need something more discreet like OWM3s. Would OWM5s be worth the extra $100 for rear channels?
post #40113 of 40139 Old 03-25-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Best thing you could do is go for the Rti8's if you can swing it and pick up a pair of Fxi4's for surrounds. The CS2 will stick out like a sore thumb for the time being, but eventually you will want to pick up a Csi5 for the center.

Then all that's left is what to do with your old Monitors... and quandary many of us here have faced.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing!
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, TV room: Rti6's & Rti4's, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #40114 of 40139 Old 03-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Post and corresponding quotes removed.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #40115 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragg-O View Post

We're finishing the basement and moving the TV to a 13x25 room. It's used primarily for movies and games.

I currently have a 5.0 setup with Monitor 40s for the fronts, a CS2 center, and old hand-me-down rears. I'm thinking of a couple options for the front:
2) RTi8s (newegg has a good price right now) - would they sound ok with the CS2?

I also need to change the rears. WAF has ruled out moving the M40s to the back (they'd be hanging from the wall in the middle of a ~25' deep room), so I need something more discreet like OWM3s. Would OWM5s be worth the extra $100 for rear channels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Best thing you could do is go for the Rti8's if you can swing it and pick up a pair of Fxi4's for surrounds. The CS2 will stick out like a sore thumb for the time being, but eventually you will want to pick up a Csi5 for the center.

Then all that's left is what to do with your old Monitors... and quandary many of us here have faced.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing!
I agree with Rob, but I infer from your post that the budget is tight so if moving up (even incrementally) to the RTi series is not in the cards and you want a complete setup now, here's where I think you can get the best bang for your buck at current prices:

FL/R: Monitor60 ($130 ea. @ newegg .com)
CC: CS2
Sr L/R: OWM5 ($170 the pair @Polk Audio eBay store)
SW: PSW505 ($190 @Polk Audio eBay store)

The above combination gives you a complete, more than decent 5.1 setup for around $625 total (including tax and shipping).

I think you should get the OWM5 for surrounds if you can swing the additional $100 over the OWM3. I have both speakers and the OWM3 would work as surrounds, but the bigger OWM5 is going to give you a significantly better rear sound stage. Both are very small and provide a number of flexible placement options.

For movies and games, I would strongly recommend adding the powered SW, and at under $200 you're not going to do much better than the PSW505.

Last edited by chi_guy50; Yesterday at 05:10 AM.
post #40116 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
WEll said Fisch, well said! Now, go play with your room treatments
After rerunning Audyssey, listened to several cds that I know well & opted to return the manual eq on the 818 back to 0 db & tried the pieces with the treble at stock 0, +2 & +4 & all I can say, for my personal taste, I really enjoy the bump in treble at +4. Really pops imho. XO remains at 80 for all.

"To the journey..."
Sony KDL60W630B; Onkyo TX-NR818
Polk RTi A7 Mains; Polk RTi CSi A6 Center; Polk RTi A5 Wides & Surrounds
HSU VTF2-Mk4, Dish Network 722k, Iogear WiFi Hub
Teac PD-H600; Marantz BD7004; Dual 1218
post #40117 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeepak View Post
yup. I called them. they wouldn't let me. But, i got a extra coupon code from a fellow member !..

they only have black in stock. i wish i could get cherry..
Oh, sorry they won't do it.. Happy to see you will be owner of a badazz setup soon though

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212 subwoofers
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #40118 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Kragg-O,

I've got a 50% off Friends and Family discount coupon for Polkaudio.com that you are more than welcome to use if that would help ease the pain of upgrading. This forum has given so much to me over the years and I would love to pay it forward and help out a fellow member (especially since I will not be using the code). Savings is so significant with this discount (because it applies to the ENTIRE order) that it may enable you to get out of the Monitor line and into the RTi line. Or perhaps you want to upgrade surrounds too. Think about it and let me know.

I am on vacation right now so it may take me a few hours to get back to you.

Cheers,

Toby
Aarghon likes this.

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #40119 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Kragg-O,

I've got a 50% off Friends and Family discount coupon for Polkaudio.com that you are more than welcome to use if that would help ease the pain of upgrading. This forum has given so much to me over the years and I would love to pay it forward and help out a fellow member (especially since I will not be using the code). Savings is so significant with this discount (because it applies to the ENTIRE order) that it may enable you to get out of the Monitor line and into the RTi line. Or perhaps you want to upgrade surrounds too. Think about it and let me know.

I am on vacation right now so it may take me a few hours to get back to you.

Cheers,

Toby
That is very nice of you Annapolis! Helping a fellow Polkie brings good karma =D

@Kragg-O : Indeed, you'll get an awesome ( and significantly better , IMHO...) setup for a superb price... What a superb opportunity you now have

post #40120 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

@Kragg-O : if you do want to stay within the monitor line, you could spend the saved money with the coupon on a better sub... You could get a really better one than the PSW or the Bic-F12 for a slightly bigger price...

It would have a major impact on the overall performance of your system... For movies AND music, since better subs are usually way more musical than "commercial" subs...

I'll rehash one of the oldest lines about subs in here : anything from internet direct companies like SVS, HSU, PSA, and Reaction Audio would be a sure bet for maximizing your sub-dollar...

post #40121 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thansk...I went ahead and ordered A9's, CSiA6, and FxiA6. Full upgrade from older Rti series..
Aarghon likes this.
post #40122 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 06:42 AM

[QUOTE=Geoff4RFC;32919385]You're welcome! That will be $1386.99 please and thank you

Oh yeah, to address your amp comment; since your AVR is driving two sets of towers along with the rest, your guess is good, your set up would benefit from an amp. A 5ch amp would rock, but even a 2ch amp would be great, to power your 7's and give the 818 a little break

Interesting, so looking at Emotiva amps, the XPA-200 is within my feeble budget, so let me ask a dumb ? lol, connect an RCA red/white cable to the preouts on the 818 then to the unbalanced inputs on the Emotiva then speaker cable out to the 7s? Does it power on when the 818 turns on & then returns to standby when everything is turned off? Or is there a better alternative at that price? Thx

"To the journey..."
post #40123 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
@Kragg-O : ... you could spend the saved money with the coupon on a better sub... You could get a really better one than the PSW or the Bic-F12 for a slightly bigger price....
FWIW the F12 was probably the worst sounding sub I ever owned. At least it was cheap, and fortunately I was able to sell it for nearly what I had paid for it. Personally I have had very good experience with Klipsch subs.
Aarghon likes this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, TV room: Rti6's & Rti4's, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #40124 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtxgringo View Post
Interesting, so looking at Emotiva amps, the XPA-200 is within my feeble budget, so let me ask a dumb ? lol, connect an RCA red/white cable to the preouts on the 818 then to the unbalanced inputs on the Emotiva then speaker cable out to the 7s? Does it power on when the 818 turns on & then returns to standby when everything is turned off? Or is there a better alternative at that price? Thx
Most higher end AVR's have a 12V trigger output (one or more) which can turn the amp on and off. Emo also sells a "splitter" that has 4 12V trigger outputs from a single trigger input.

---

post #40125 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
[quote=wtxgringo;32949561]
Quote:
You're welcome! That will be $1386.99 please and thank you

Oh yeah, to address your amp comment; since your AVR is driving two sets of towers along with the rest, your guess is good, your set up would benefit from an amp. A 5ch amp would rock, but even a 2ch amp would be great, to power your 7's and give the 818 a little break

Yeah, Rob covered it pretty well. Your 818 I believe has a 12V Trigger, the amps usually come with a trigger cord, it plugs into your AVR and amp so you can control the on/off power with one remote.

As far as your RCA cables, if you can get one with some type of shielding, that would be good. Monoprice makes digital shielding RCA interconnects that are really low priced......

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #40126 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 192
[quote=wtxgringo;32949561]
Quote:
You're welcome! That will be $1386.99 please and thank you

12V Triggers on Onkyo receivers are only for Zone 2 and Zone 3. They won't power up your Emo amp when main zone is in use. You have to turn ON Zone 2 or Zone 3 for the trigger to send signal to the external amp. That's one of many other reasons I moved from Onkyo to Marantz.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

post #40127 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The connections are made as you surmised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
12V Triggers on Onkyo receivers are only for Zone 2 and Zone 3. They won't power up your Emo amp when main zone is in use. You have to turn ON Zone 2 or Zone 3 for the trigger to send signal to the external amp. That's one of many other reasons I moved from Onkyo to Marantz.
Since your amp does not have a 12v trigger out for the main zone, you can utilize a smart power strip such as this one or this one (there are many other choices). The AVR will be the "master" or "control" and your external amp (and any other externals you want to slave to the AVR) will power on/off with the AVR.
post #40128 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

The power strip is a cool idea. Thx. Also found this at the Emotiva Lounge:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...gger-onkyo-818

"To the journey..."
post #40129 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Toby,
That's a very kind offer! I'm inclined to accept it.

I understand it's good until March 31. I'll plan to pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow. If for some reason I don't, I'll let you know tomorrow night so you have a chance to offer it to someone else.

Unfortunately, I can't PM you yet... I'll head over to the display forum later and work on that (need to decide whether a budget 4K or a higher-end HD would suit my needs best). I don't know whether I can receive a PM.

Thanks very much,
Ken
post #40130 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Toby,
That's a very kind offer! I'm inclined to accept it.

I understand it's good until March 31. I'll plan to pull the trigger tonight or tomorrow. If for some reason I don't, I'll let you know tomorrow night so you have a chance to offer it to someone else.

Unfortunately, I can't PM you yet... I'll head over to the display forum later and work on that (need to decide whether a budget 4K or a higher-end HD would suit my needs best). I don't know whether I can receive a PM.

Thanks very much,
Ken
Ken:

Sounds good. You have first dibs. If you can't PM me, feel free to shoot me an email at tobybleach@gmail.com. Whatever you do, don't rush your decision.
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #40131 of 40139 Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The power strip is a cool idea. Thx. Also found this at the Emotiva Lounge:
http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/t...gger-onkyo-818

Glad you found a solution! Enrico makes a point about actually having to push the dedicated zone button on the remote, he switched AVR's because of that........Enrico has always been a little spoiled like that

Hey Enrico, what's up? Long time! I'm still rocking the A9's but I've upgraded to an Integra!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #40132 of 40139 Old Today, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Geoff. I'm still rocking the LSiMs and have no plans to upgrade them any time soon. The 12V trigger thing was one of the reasons for the upgrade to Marantz/Denon but also the look of the Marantz. Either way I only use the Marantz for movies because I do prefer the sound of the Parasound Halo P5 + Oppo BDP-105D for music.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #40133 of 40139 Old Today, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey Geoff. I'm still rocking the LSiMs and have no plans to upgrade them any time soon. The 12V trigger thing was one of the reasons for the upgrade to Marantz/Denon but also the look of the Marantz. Either way I only use the Marantz for movies because I do prefer the sound of the Parasound Halo P5 + Oppo BDP-105D for music.

LOL, I figured you would be, I doubt I'd be upgrading from those as well, as it is, I don't plan to upgrade from The RTiA's either, even though I did list everything on CL once with the intention of going all LSiM.

Naw, I'm just going to focus on building an 11.4, stay away from Atmos, though my 2ch effort will involve other than RTiA's.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the 105, I know it's touted for analogue and 2ch bliss.

Speaking of 2ch, I know you've got the 703's, would you be confident in building a 2ch system around them?

Set up:
post #40134 of 40139 Old Today, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
LOL, I figured you would be, I doubt I'd be upgrading from those as well, as it is, I don't plan to upgrade from The RTiA's either, even though I did list everything on CL once with the intention of going all LSiM.

Naw, I'm just going to focus on building an 11.4, stay away from Atmos, though my 2ch effort will involve other than RTiA's.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the 105, I know it's touted for analogue and 2ch bliss.

Speaking of 2ch, I know you've got the 703's, would you be confident in building a 2ch system around them?
It depends!! If it is a 2ch system with only 703's then yes. If you want to add a subwoofer into the system then I would go with LS50's + Subwoofer.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #40135 of 40139 Old Today, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Of course I'm making the comparison based on regular price. With the Family & Friends 50% off there is no brainer that my option would be towards the LSiM 703!!!

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

post #40136 of 40139 Old Today, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It depends!! If it is a 2ch system with only 703's then yes. If you want to add a subwoofer into the system then I would go with LS50's + Subwoofer.
Quote:
Of course I'm making the comparison based on regular price. With the Family & Friends 50% off there is no brainer that my option would be towards the LSiM 703!!!
That's the plan, 703's no sub, yeah, F&F make it killer deal. Thanks!!!

Set up:
post #40137 of 40139 Old Today, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I finally decided that I'll just have to make the Monitor/RTiA comparison for myself.

I just placed my telephone order for 2 x RTiA7, 2 x RTiA5, and a CSi6. If they measure up I will resell my perfectly good Monitor 75t/55t/CS2.

Total for the five speakers was $1099.90 shipped. Thanks to Polk Audio for taking care of a loyal customer!

Do folks here generally agree that one should run all five as full-range for about 200 hours to break them in?
post #40138 of 40139 Old Today, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Well, I finally decided that I'll just have to make the Monitor/RTiA comparison for myself.

I just placed my telephone order for 2 x RTiA7, 2 x RTiA5, and a CSi6. If they measure up I will resell my perfectly good Monitor 75t/55t/CS2.

Total for the five speakers was $1099.90 shipped. Thanks to Polk Audio for taking care of a loyal customer!

Do folks here generally agree that one should run all five as full-range for about 200 hours to break them in?
you won't be disappointed. I changed from monitor 65t to rtia3 there is a big difference for the better.
zpatter1 likes this.
post #40139 of 40139 Old Today, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Well, I finally decided that I'll just have to make the Monitor/RTiA comparison for myself... If they measure up I will resell my perfectly good Monitor 75t/55t/CS2.
Welcome to the Rti club! And welcome to the "selling the perfectly good Monitors" club, too!

Quote:
I just placed my telephone order for 2 x RTiA7, 2 x RTiA5, and a CSi6. Do folks here generally agree that one should run all five as full-range for about 200 hours to break them in?
I'd say don't do anything special, other than don't judge them until a month or so has passed. They will sound weak at first... anemic lows and nasal highs. Just leave them playing 5CH music at reasonable levels throughout the day, while you're out of the house. If you use banana plug hookups and have the room, you can continue to enjoy your 75's when you're home, then swap over to the Rti's when you go out. Then come back and tell us how they sound!

Again, congratulations. You will not be disappointed!

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com