Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1339 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #40141 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Well, I finally decided that I'll just have to make the Monitor/RTiA comparison for myself.

I just placed my telephone order for 2 x RTiA7, 2 x RTiA5, and a CSi6. If they measure up I will resell my perfectly good Monitor 75t/55t/CS2.

Total for the five speakers was $1099.90 shipped. Thanks to Polk Audio for taking care of a loyal customer!

Do folks here generally agree that one should run all five as full-range for about 200 hours to break them in?
Congrats on the buy! Pretty sure you won't be going back =)

200 hours is maybe a little high much I'd say... I've had an Energy Reference setup prior to my present setup, and they were often described as having a very long to break-in period... And the recommended period was 100 hours. Can't say if it is precisely 100 hours, but I can say straight away that indeed they were the longest speaker to break in I've ever owned. I've owned Yamahas, Energys, Kilpsches, and two lines of Polks. None took as much as long than the Energys.

So I think a safe bet would be 100 hours. Pretty sure 99.9% of the break would be made then, and you wouldn't have to stress much about rushing the break-in in the return period...

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212 subwoofers
Pioneer Elite sc-61 AVR, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40142 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
Congrats on the buy! Pretty sure you won't be going back =)

200 hours is maybe a little high much I'd say... I've had an Energy Reference setup prior to my present setup, and they were often described as having a very long to break-in period... And the recommended period was 100 hours. Can't say if it is precisely 100 hours, but I can say straight away that indeed they were the longest speaker to break in I've ever owned. I've owned Yamahas, Energys, Kilpsches, and two lines of Polks. None took as much as long than the Energys.

So I think a safe bet would be 100 hours. Pretty sure 99.9% of the break would be made then, and you wouldn't have to stress much about rushing the break-in in the return period...
Thanks for that feedback.

I was just on the phone with the craigslist buyer of my Monitors. They're already sold (all six including the PSW505)! That was really quick.

Do you think it's important to run the RTiA's fullband in order to break them in?
post #40143 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for that feedback.

I was just on the phone with the craigslist buyer of my Monitors. They're already sold (all six including the PSW505)! That was really quick.

Do you think it's important to run the RTiA's fullband in order to break them in?
Wow, that was fast indeed =) with the FF, your upgrade will be pretty cost efficient eh

I do not think running them full range is absolutely necessary, because if you cross them over normally their woofers will still still be getting enough workout to loosen up the driver surrounds...There maybe a slight benefit though, but I doubt it would make a huge difference.
chi_guy50 and Geoff4RFC like this.

post #40144 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Thinking about it... YOu said you sold the subwoofer too.. Does it mean that you won't have any subwoofer in the setup while breaking them in?

post #40145 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
Thinking about it... YOu said you sold the subwoofer too.. Does it mean that you won't have any subwoofer in the setup while breaking them in?
I listed the SW to see whether it would get a nibble (and knowing that my best bet would be to sell all the speakers together to someone looking for a complete 5.1 setup). Sure enough, that's what happened.

I figured that I may as well up the SW ante while I'm at it and planned to get an SVS SB-2000. But if I'm going to be running the RTiA's fullband for the next two to three weeks I would put off placing the SW order. Otherwise I would pull the trigger right away. What do you suggest?
post #40146 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 05:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I listed the SW to see whether it would get a nibble (and knowing that my best bet would be to sell all the speakers together to someone looking for a complete 5.1 setup). Sure enough, that's what happened.

I figured that I may as well up the SW ante while I'm at it and planned to get an SVS SB-2000. But if I'm going to be running the RTiA's fullband for the next two to three weeks I would put off placing the SW order. Otherwise I would pull the trigger right away. What do you suggest?
Good move. Do it all at once and be done.
Geoff4RFC and Aarghon like this.
post #40147 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll say good move too ! Major upgrade. The rti-as already have awesome bass for the price, and the SVS will complement them well down-low. You'll experience your movies like never before, I can assure you

post #40148 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I have owned the full Tsi series and just moved to the RTI A's and they are in a completely different league.
Geoff4RFC and zpatter1 like this.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #40149 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anyone have any experience with the TL250/TL350?
post #40150 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSMD410 View Post
Anyone have any experience with the TL250/TL350?
Yes, I owned the TL250. I used them in conjunction with older Technics floorstanding speakers as my mains. They are excellent satellites if you need something with a very small footprint and/or have a small room.
post #40151 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
All five Monitors are already sold within hours, including the PSW505..
Congrats on that as well. I've had a M70 5.1 system listed here on AVS for about a month now, decided I'll just leave it with the house when we move (including a DSW-660 sub).

Quote:
So you wouldn't run them full-range to break them in? (If I don't do anything special, then I would be setting them to small w/XO at around 80Hz.) I'm retired and on a typical day I run my system 14 to 16 hours. Just want to clarify.
I don't believe full range would alter the break-in period significantly. However, you may discover that lowering your xover from 80 down to 60 Hz may sound better (after they have broken in). Several of us here who own RtiA9's run the mains as low as 40Hz. Of course, much depends on which sub you eventually use. As far as break-in, I think about 100 hours sounds about right. I remember after about six weeks of normal use, suddenly I noticed the speakers seemed to sound a lot better. It just sort of happened... wasn't "timed".
chi_guy50 likes this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, TV room: Rti6's & Rti4's, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #40152 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 1398
Quote:

I never took any special care with any "break in" period for any of my speakers. I just played 'em. I ran my A9's crossed over at 40HZ for four years, and now, since I'm not using my subs for the moment, my A9's are set to full band now and let me tell you, it's all about the bass (no treble)

BTW, congratulations on your upgrade, very soon, you will "understand"

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #40153 of 40160 Unread Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Ken:

Sounds good. You have first dibs. If you can't PM me, feel free to shoot me an email at tobybleach@gmail.com. Whatever you do, don't rush your decision.
Sent you an email.
post #40154 of 40160 Unread Today, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kragg-O View Post
Sent you an email.
Thanks again for getting back to me.

Zpatter1 has reached out to me and he is next in line. Check your inbox zpatter1!
zpatter1 likes this.

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #40155 of 40160 Unread Today, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to join!

Bot a pair of 5jr's back in the mid 80's. Just replaced them as the fronts of my system with TSx440's and will work them in as the surrounds this weekend. Grabbed a 5.1 box of RM6880 -- no you won't even find them in support any more -- several years back. I'm going to stack the RM101's with the 5jr's on the side and run them separately amped by an NAD 3150 whose only fault is dirty a potentiometer in the pre-amp. That let's me bi-amp the 440's from my Yamaha AVR and increase total system power by 50% in 5.1 and a double in 2 channel mode. After all, it's about playing vinyl, right?

Anyway, went into Abt looking at a half-price offer on some Klipsch towers. The reviews of them I had read were not inspiring. I asked the attendant who was playing my DVD-A of Gaucho if there was something I could listen to in comparison. He says, "How about these Polks?" Made sense since it seems all I ever buy is Polk. After 5 seconds of listening I turned to the Phillipino guy who had wandered in to see what was going on. He nodded and I immediately asked the salesman how much more these would cost me. "$100 more -- also on sale" Sold! Wrap 'em up.

mardukes

PS- yeah, well my turntable is JVC straight arm from the '70s that needed me to jurryrig plumbing washers as counterweights for the new ortofon 2M Red
post #40156 of 40160 Unread Today, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How much of a difference is there between RTi A3s and A5s? Price difference is $200 and these will be fronts in a 5.0 set up with an A6 center and A3 rears. Pulling the trigger this weekend!
post #40157 of 40160 Unread Today, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
How much of a difference is there between RTi A3s and A5s? Price difference is $200 and these will be fronts in a 5.0 set up with an A6 center and A3 rears. Pulling the trigger this weekend!

The A5 carries more diver surface and is a tower over a bookie, you get greater bass extension and the A5 owners I know swear up and down to it's "stereo" capabilities.

If you can swing the A5's, I'd do it!!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #40158 of 40160 Unread Today, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, just reread your post, it looks like you're going with the A5's. Good man, and good plan on your 5.0 set up.....

Do you have a CD player? Or a BRP that plays CD's? Do you have any interest in CD's?

If you like any kind of music at all, get ready to start increasing your music library, your A5's will blow you away in 2ch

Set up:
post #40159 of 40160 Unread Today, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I still haven't decicided haha
post #40160 of 40160 Unread Today, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
I still haven't decicided haha
if you have stands A3 won't be that different if you don't have a sand then floor standing is so much less headache.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page