Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1341 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #40201 of 40212 Old Today, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
Thanks guys, all this advice and experience sharing really helps me! I think I'm going to go with the 80F/X LS. Once I have it all installed I'll report back and hope my experiences can help others
While it's certainly not a "show-stopper" factor, ideally you'll want to use the same speakers for your Atmos (or DTS:X or Auro) front and rear top arrays in order to achieve seamless front to back panning.

I think your current RC80i would serve just fine, but the 80F/X-LS are better speakers FWIW.
chi_guy50 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #40202 of 40212 Old Today, 03:43 PM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
While it's certainly not a "show-stopper" factor, ideally you'll want to use the same speakers for your Atmos (or DTS:X or Auro) front and rear top arrays in order to achieve seamless front to back panning.

I think your current RC80i would serve just fine, but the 80F/X-LS are better speakers FWIW.
Agreed, with the FF discount I ordered the 80F/X-LS and I also ordered the Emo 5 channel amp - can't wait to get this new gear in and hear the upgrade
Barrettmr is online now  
post #40203 of 40212 Old Today, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
Agreed, with the FF discount I ordered the 80F/X-LS and I also ordered the Emo 5 channel amp - can't wait to get this new gear in and hear the upgrade
Just make sure that:

(1) you give careful study to the Dolby Atmos (and soon to be unveiled) DTS:X speaker layout recommendations before you start cutting holes in your ceiling;

(2) the AVR/SSP you get is capable of processing both both Atmos and DTS:X (wait for the 2015 or 2016 models to hit the streets);

and (3) you position the listener-level speakers no higher than 1.25 times ear-height to allow for adequate separation between the base and overhead layers.
chi_guy50 is online now  
post #40204 of 40212 Unread Today, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff4RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Just down aways from Stanley
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
I also ordered the Emo 5 channel amp - can't wait to get this new gear in and hear the upgrade

Congrats! What kind of interconnects did you order?

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat


Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Geoff4RFC is online now  
post #40205 of 40212 Unread Today, 07:46 PM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Congrats! What kind of interconnects did you order?
Oh - I didn't order anything that sounded like that - what is the interconnects? Did I miss something... oh is this the phono/RCA cable that goes from my receiver pre-out to the unbalanced RCA on the AMP? If so I purchased some RCA cables when I got my Oppo 103 to connect the analog outs to the receiver thinking that would be better than HDMI or something odd like that, but ended up using the HDMI out on the Oppo for sound and video so was planning on using those to rig up the new AMP. Please let me know if I over looked something.....
Barrettmr is online now  
post #40206 of 40212 Unread Today, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
AnnapolisSony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
Agreed, with the FF discount I ordered the 80F/X-LS and I also ordered the Emo 5 channel amp - can't wait to get this new gear in and hear the upgrade
Congrats man. That's exciting about the XPA-5.

Just do me one favor. Listen to your L-C-R Polk in-walls after you get them installed but BEFORE you hook up the amp. Then hook up your Emo and have at it. #ampporn

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
AnnapolisSony is online now  
post #40207 of 40212 Unread Today, 07:51 PM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Just make sure that:

(1) you give careful study to the Dolby Atmos (and soon to be unveiled) DTS:X speaker layout recommendations before you start cutting holes in your ceiling;

(2) the AVR/SSP you get is capable of processing both both Atmos and DTS:X (wait for the 2015 or 2016 models to hit the streets);

and (3) you position the listener-level speakers no higher than 1.25 times ear-height to allow for adequate separation between the base and overhead layers.
I already have holes for the RC80i's so that is done but if I add a second pair for Atoms I will need to know where to put them, see the diagram of my layout as it is attached. I will go google Atmos speaker placement - do you have any good links? Oh and point 3, are the listener level speakers the front main LCR?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Home Theater.png
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	636929  
Barrettmr is online now  
post #40208 of 40212 Unread Today, 07:54 PM
Member
 
Barrettmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Congrats man. That's exciting about the XPA-5.

Just do me one favor. Listen to your L-C-R Polk in-walls after you get them installed but BEFORE you hook up the amp. Then hook up your Emo and have at it. #ampporn
That sounds like a good plan! And thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction, the guys over at Emotiva should give you a voucher for the referral
Barrettmr is online now  
post #40209 of 40212 Unread Today, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff4RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Just down aways from Stanley
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
Oh - I didn't order anything that sounded like that - what is the interconnects? Did I miss something... oh is this the phono/RCA cable that goes from my receiver pre-out to the unbalanced RCA on the AMP? If so I purchased some RCA cables when I got my Oppo 103 to connect the analog outs to the receiver thinking that would be better than HDMI or something odd like that, but ended up using the HDMI out on the Oppo for sound and video so was planning on using those to rig up the new AMP. Please let me know if I over looked something.....
LOL, sounds like you have it covered! The best kind of interconnects you can use are shielded ones, there's single, double and triple shielding. By all means, use what you've got now, you can look into cables some other time. The interconnects that Emotiva sell are pretty good, that's what I use, they're double shielded and don't cost an arm and a leg, you're going to get a shock when you see what companies charge for cables if you haven't already.


Just remember this, the cable is responsible for transferring a signal, with all cables (interconnect) you get signal degradation. A cable with decent shielding can degrade the signal "less".


You have now fallen a little further down the rabbit hole my friend


Here's something else for you to play with, either your amp or your AVR came with a "trigger" cable, you can connect the trigger cable from your AVR's 12v Trigger out to the 12v Trigger in on the amp. That way, you can turn the amp on and off with your Onkyo remote. I don't have any of mine hooked up, I just leave my amps on 24/7

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat


Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Geoff4RFC is online now  
post #40210 of 40212 Unread Today, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
AnnapolisSony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
Oh - I didn't order anything that sounded like that - what is the interconnects? Did I miss something... oh is this the phono/RCA cable that goes from my receiver pre-out to the unbalanced RCA on the AMP? If so I purchased some RCA cables when I got my Oppo 103 to connect the analog outs to the receiver thinking that would be better than HDMI or something odd like that, but ended up using the HDMI out on the Oppo for sound and video so was planning on using those to rig up the new AMP. Please let me know if I over looked something.....
This is what I use to connect the pre-outs on my AVR to my Emo. The price is right:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I use MP for most everything audio/video cable related. You'll never EVER have to buy HDMI cables, speaker wires, power cords or TV mounts at a big box store again

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread

Last edited by AnnapolisSony; Today at 08:10 PM. Reason: Mistake
AnnapolisSony is online now  
post #40211 of 40212 Unread Today, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geoff4RFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Just down aways from Stanley
Posts: 3,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
This is what I use to connect the pre-outs on my AVR to my Emo. The price is right:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

I use MP for most everything audio/video cable related. You'll never EVER have to buy HDMI cables, speaker wires, power cords or TV mounts at a big box store again
I've used those, they are a great bargain however, I've gone back to non digital coaxial cable.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat


Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Geoff4RFC is online now  
post #40212 of 40212 Unread Today, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
AnnapolisSony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Davidsonville, MD
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
I've used those, they are a great bargain however, I've gone back to non digital coaxial cable.
It is obvious that you have done a lot of research on this topic. Would love to hear your reasoning for going back to non digital. I've often wondered if I might be selling myself short by using these digital coax cables from MP. I'm all ears man! Any links for non digital cables or are they usually DIY? Thanks in advance...

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
AnnapolisSony is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off