Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1342 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #40231 of 40245 Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Polk 50% off code:

POLKFF3229526C2

Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40232 of 40245 Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 23
WOW you guys are making me jello with those cables - I only have basic speaker wire right now

I'm going to grab some pics and post as I get all these new speakers hooked up. Just got the SVS subs and run those with my current Monitors - amazing sound, can't wait to get the amp and the new Polks in. The 255c-LS is here and the 265-LS should be here tomorrow so I should be able to get those installed over the Easter weekend. The amp shipped and is due here Thursday and I expect the LSiM703 and 80F/X-LS should be here sometime next week - no shipping info as of yet.

FWIW the SVS were big and heavy, I thought I may have made a mistake looking at the boxes but now they are unpacked and in they look and sound sweet. Oh and the guys at SVS are amazing, they are walking me through the complete setup with the subs, new Polk's, receiver and amp - totally amazing customer service and with the help from you guys this has been a great experience for me - so THANKS!

My DSWPro 550wi sub is back alongside my RTiA7's and sounding great again for my music listening!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	svs.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	638713  
post #40233 of 40245 Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
Polk 50% off code:

POLKFF3229526C2

Enjoy!
Good man!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrettmr View Post
WOW you guys are making me jello with those cables

FWIW the SVS were big and heavy, I thought I may have made a mistake looking at the boxes but now they are unpacked and in they look and sound sweet. Oh and the guys at SVS are amazing, they are walking me through the complete setup with the subs, new Polk's, receiver and amp - totally amazing customer service and with the help from you guys this has been a great experience for me - so THANKS!

My DSWPro 550wi sub is back alongside my RTiA7's and sounding great again for my music listening!

LOL, jello?? Yes, good call with the SVS! Is that room your theater??? VERY nice, classy, Mine will grow up to look like that one day! Nicely done.
zpatter1 likes this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #40234 of 40245 Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, Annapolis has inspired me to drag my cable stuff out of the closet. I have two photos for you, a before, and an after for one of two cables. It took me about a half hour to measure the cable for two runs, cut it and assemble one. After this post, I'll assemble the second and hook those bad boys up.

Thanks Anny for motivating me, your pictures of your back panels made me a little jealous, or is that jello

AnnapolisSony likes this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #40235 of 40245 Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Good man!!!

LOL, jello?? Yes, good call with the SVS! Is that room your theater??? VERY nice, classy, Mine will grow up to look like that one day! Nicely done.

Picking up bad habits from the kids and their gangster slang LOL! Yes that is my theater room which I've worked on and upgraded over the last 9 years since I built it out, thanks. I've learnt a lot from everyone on the AVS forums which has been so much help and now I have a great space and some nice equipment - I so enjoy movies so this is just the best!
Geoff4RFC likes this.
post #40236 of 40245 Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Okay, Annapolis has inspired me to drag my cable stuff out of the closet. I have two photos for you, a before, and an after for one of two cables. It took me about a half hour to measure the cable for two runs, cut it and assemble one. After this post, I'll assemble the second and hook those bad boys up.

Thanks Anny for motivating me, your pictures of your back panels made me a little jealous, or is that jello

Okay that is very sweet - I need to learn how to do that and where to buy the parts

I guess I only need the dressed cable for the rack - once it goes into the wall its just the grey cable right? Any details on what that speaker cable is would be appreciated for sure. When I built out the theater 9 odd years back I asked about cables at my local Audio store and fell over when they told me the reel was around $1k and bring back what I didn't use - I worked out I would need at least one full reel and may be one and a half which was more than my total budget for the PJ and sound system back then LOL - I went with Monster XP something or other and it seemed to work great. Now, I have upgraded the speakers and receiver two times since and about to upgrade speakers again so may be I should look into upgrading those speaker cables as well
post #40237 of 40245 Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay that is very sweet - I need to learn how to do that and where to buy the parts

Cables can get costly real fast if you listen to the wrong folks, like instore salesman! There's a thread in here somewhere that's a DIY cable thread.

It all depends on what you want, what your budge will allow etc etc etc

Monoprice makes a good 12/2 or 12/4. 12/4 is good if you want to do a type of bi-wire at the speaker, been there, done that, went back to X/2 with homemade jumpers.

14/4 is good in order to double it up and make like an 11awg. You can get Canare 14/4 from BlueJean cable. Both of these companies are supported here at AVS. BJC also has a decent 10/2 as well.

I went with a company called Douglas Connection, I like the 10/2 better because of the jacket housing, it's similar to the Canare, plus, you get a small discount if you're a Polk Audio forum member.

The colored outer sleeving is called Tech Flex, you can get that off of Ebay pretty cheap. You'll want to find some fairly good quality banana plugs or spades, what ever you like.

You can get cable pants at various places, that's what Annapolis runs on his cables, I used to as well, a modified version, now all but my center cable has "splitters". Eventually I'll put cable splitters on my center too.

I started out with RCA brand 14awg from Lowes, then started the DIY with 12/4 cable from Monoprice, cable pants from different vendors, heat shrink, and banana plugs I got from Emotiva when they were still selling them. Thank goodness I purchased enough to set up an 11.x set up.

IMO, monster cable is over priced and overrated, on offense to monster consumers. I've seen equal and better quality go for less.

Anyway, I've been making my own cables for about four years now, and as I mentioned in an earlier post, I dig the splitters not only for their aesthetic value, but they eliminate the use of both heat shrink and cable pants. Makes the job faster and easier.

So there you have in a nut shell.....or two

Set up:

Last edited by Geoff4RFC; Yesterday at 10:57 PM.
post #40238 of 40245 Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 621
I see some Monoprice RCA cables in that picture. I freaking hate those! The fitting is either tight or lose. Once it almost took out the female RCA hookup out of my old AVR.
post #40239 of 40245 Old Today, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
I see some Monoprice RCA cables in that picture. I freaking hate those! The fitting is either tight or lose. Once it almost took out the female RCA hookup out of my old AVR.
yeah the ones I have are all very tight. but I also need right angle adapters so, it's not a big issue. They are also overly stiff and hard to work with.
post #40240 of 40245 Old Today, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

I guess I only need the dressed cable for the rack - once it goes into the wall its just the grey cable right? Any details on what that speaker cable is would be appreciated for sure. When I built out the theater 9 odd years back I asked about cables at my local Audio store and fell over when they told me the reel was around $1k and bring back what I didn't use - I worked out I would need at least one full reel and may be one and a half which was more than my total budget for the PJ and sound system back then LOL - I went with Monster XP something or other and it seemed to work great. Now, I have upgraded the speakers and receiver two times since and about to upgrade speakers again so may be I should look into upgrading those speaker cables as well
I ran 14AWG CL2 (in-wall) speaker wire for all 7 of my speakers. MP has great quality speaker wire and it is probably less than HALF of what you are going to pay in a big box store:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2 As you can see, 1000LF would have only cost about $250 or so! LOL.

Yes, I just wrapped the wires that are "exposed" in my equipment room in Tech Flex...you can get it from Furryletters on eBay Just be sure to get the right size Tech Flex so it wraps around your speaker wire in a snug fashion. It's purely an aesthetics thing...but they have some cool colored Tech Flex out there so you can really mix it up. That seller sells TF in many different lengths so you don't have to buy a ton even if you only need a little.

And, I purchased the cable pants here at Parts Express. Just be sure that you choose the right size cable pants that will work with your size speaker wire.

As far as banana clips go, I prefer the Sewell Silverbacks and I picked them up cheap here (you can also find them on Amazon...maybe cheaper?):

https://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Silv...gs-12-pair.asp

There are a ton of different types of banana clips so it's really whatever you prefer. I prefer the screw locks because I feel like my speaker wire is most secure in them. Not a chance of coming out!

Good luck!
Barrettmr likes this.

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #40241 of 40245 Old Today, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
I agree GusGus. I really need to upgrade these but I just haven't gotten around to it. The plastic fixture around the ends always seems to come loose and I had to tighten them up before I plugged them in.

You know, I had the same problem with my coaxial sub cables from MP. However those are 25ft and 50 ft. in length respectively, are buried behind my wall and I have absolutely no way of fishing new ones thru without ripping off my baseboard and cutting new holes.

Displays: Epson 5030UB | 100-inch Elite Sable Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV
Sources: Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut Turntable | Sonos Connect | Apple TV
Speakers: Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | Subwoofers: PSA XV-15se X 2
Controls:Wall-mounted iPad AVS Forum Thread: 904WMC Media Room Thread
post #40242 of 40245 Old Today, 07:03 AM

Last chance if no one use my code :-) hope sharing this is not breaching any forum rules!
Enter this code at checkout: POLKFF32DAF3822

post #40243 of 40245 Old Today, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

Last chance if no one use my code :-) hope sharing this is not breaching any forum rules!
Enter this code at checkout: POLKFF32DAF3822

This marketing impressed me. Great way to extend a sale.
zpatter1 likes this.
post #40244 of 40245 Old Today, 02:25 PM

The 265-LS speakers came today so time to start the upgrade! Out with the CS2 and Monitor 50's which have severed me very well for the past 5+ years. I had to sink the current Polk's into the wall when I upgrade the size of my screen and was forced to go behind the wall rather than in front. I'm going to patch these areas with some 1/2 or 3/4 MDF and cut the new holes for the 265's and 255c-LS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150401_008.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	640273   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150401_005.jpg
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	640281   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150401_012.jpg
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	640297  
post #40245 of 40245 Unread Today, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Please post your review on 265-LS after they are "broken-in". I am considering these for surround duty. Thanks..
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page