Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1349 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #40441 of 40461 Old Yesterday, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
I know I need better wire, but it is what best buy had, and I couldn't wait to hook them up so I just got what was available haha. Should I get banana plug terminated wire?
This is what I would get.

100ft 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Oxygen-Free Pure Bare Copper Speaker Wire Cable (For In-Wall Installation)

Geoff4RFC and bumprunlogan like this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40442 of 40461 Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 354
+1 I have 14awg Mono Price in wall wire. The lower the gauge the better for signal transfer and there are major benefits in case of long distance runs.
climber07 likes this.

Just a fella who loves good sound.
post #40443 of 40461 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
I know I need better wire, but it is what best buy had, and I couldn't wait to hook them up so I just got what was available haha. Should I get banana plug terminated wire?
If you plan to leave them be. bare wire is best. If your like many of us always moving things, then banana plugs are nice.
zpatter1 likes this.
post #40444 of 40461 Old Yesterday, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
If you plan to leave them be. bare wire is best. If your like many of us always moving things, then banana plugs are nice.
Yep, or locking banana plugs.
Make sure binding posts are tight on the bare wire.
post #40445 of 40461 Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Yep, or locking banana plugs. Make sure binding posts are tight on the bare wire.
Yep, I always make sure our bindings are of the locking variety,
and especially tight on the bare.... wait a minute... what??!!!

Geoff4RFC likes this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. TV room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #40446 of 40461 Old Today, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After a long search for a new set of floor-standers (which is no easy task these days), I finally settled on the Polks b/c they provided the best sound to value ratio for music listening. Others tried were Def Techs (Mythos), Dali's, B&W's, Megapan's, Energy's, Monitors, and a few others I can't remember. Others I wished I could have heard were the Tektons and SVS Ultra's, but impossible to find in the stores as I believe they are Internet only.

Anyway, then it came down to either the RTI's or LSiM's. I had heard both the A7's and 705's. As others have indicated, I felt the LSiM's provided the better overall sound, however it was a lot closer to my ears than what I had been reading. Regardless, I splurged for the 705's at $2K for the pair. And so far, they sound good, but not great, in my room (14x22 with high ceilings to the second floor).

While I find the sound of the 705's to be very well-rounded in the low to mid ranges, I do find that they lack a bit of clarity and tonality with high frequencies. For instance, cymbals and some strings seem muddled in the background. I realize they will not be as bright as the RTI's, however, the highs on these 705's are lacking even when compared to my old $200 KLH speakers from the '90's! I have powered the 705's both with a Yamaha stereo at 80 watts and Marantz AV/Crown combo at 300 watts...not much difference.

Have any other 705 owners noticed this issue on the high end? Of course, I have played with EQ settings to bring out the highs, but I still find they are a bit lacking in tonality. I had had read that the tweeters on the LSiM's were top line, but my ears just aren't hearing it. My hope is that they will improve with break-in time, but if not, I'll be on the fence about keeping them. Any input appreciated.
post #40447 of 40461 Old Today, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone heard anything about the new Polk V60, V80, and V85 speakers? I was thinking about using them for Dolby Atmos. Would the V60 or V80 be better in the ceiling? The Polk website says "Great height effect speakers in Dolby Atmos® installations".

Any idea how they differ from other Polk in-ceiling speakers?

Any idea if they are timbre matched to the RTI A9 floor speakers?

Thanks,
Dave
post #40448 of 40461 Old Today, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by roblee View Post
yep, i always make sure our bindings are of the locking variety,
and especially tight on the bare.... Wait a minute... what??!!!

lol

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #40449 of 40461 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to have this in a 12/4 configuration and used to biwire at the speaker terminals only. then, I made my own jumpers and just doubled the 12/4. Now I just run 10/2 from Furez

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #40450 of 40461 Old Today, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzigs View Post
And so far, they sound good, but not great, in my room (14x22 with high ceilings to the second floor).

While I find the sound of the 705's to be very well-rounded in the low to mid ranges, I do find that they lack a bit of clarity and tonality with high frequencies. For instance, cymbals and some strings seem muddled in the background. I realize they will not be as bright as the RTI's, however, the highs on these 705's are lacking even when compared to my old $200 KLH speakers from the '90's! I have powered the 705's both with a Yamaha stereo at 80 watts and Marantz AV/Crown combo at 300 watts...not much difference.

Have any other 705 owners noticed this issue on the high end? Of course, I have played with EQ settings to bring out the highs, but I still find they are a bit lacking in tonality. I had had read that the tweeters on the LSiM's were top line, but my ears just aren't hearing it. My hope is that they will improve with break-in time, but if not, I'll be on the fence about keeping them. Any input appreciated.

Sorry to hear this. I don't have experience with the LiSM's however, I do have experience in placement. How far apart do you have them spaced in relation to width versus distance to seating? Do you have them toed in at all? You may already know that you can vary your toe in from crossing the axis in front of the listening position, to right at the mlp, to just behind the mlp.

You probably already know that proper placement will help tremendously in imaging and just may clean up your clarity issues!

Set up:
post #40451 of 40461 Old Today, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

The sound may indeed change somewhat after breaking in, but the Lsi line does sound different from the Rti's. While I have never heard the LsiM's specifically, I remember that my Lsi9's were disappointing when used for HDTV. They just sounded thin. The Rti's OTOH sound more "robust" (fuller & brighter if you will). Listening to the same music on my Rti's and Lsi's there are noticeable and significant differences in tonality, particularly on the high end. Overall I prefer to listen to music on the Rti's when I can crank it up, but the Lsi's sound better at lower levels... not that the Lsi's are any less capable. I believe they have a flatter, more consistent sound. I think that if you end up keeping your Lsi's you will not be disappointed. It may be that you need to become accustomed to their sound as much as they need to break in a little.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. TV room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #40452 of 40461 Old Today, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Sorry to hear this. I don't have experience with the LiSM's however, I do have experience in placement. How far apart do you have them spaced in relation to width versus distance to seating? Do you have them toed in at all? You may already know that you can vary your toe in from crossing the axis in front of the listening position, to right at the mlp, to just behind the mlp.

You probably already know that proper placement will help tremendously in imaging and just may clean up your clarity issues!
Yes, absolutely. I have tried various placements, but notice the difference mainly with the low end. Here's my current set-up (attached)...roughly 6 feet spaced apart and 10 feet from listening area. The speakers sit roughly 6 inches from the back wall, and are downward-firing. Any suggestions to improve the high end?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-25 14.08.54.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	685721  
post #40453 of 40461 Old Today, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
After a long search for a new set of floor-standers (which is no easy task these days), I finally settled on the Polks b/c they provided the best sound to value ratio for music listening. Others tried were Def Techs (Mythos), Dali's, B&W's, Megapan's, Energy's, Monitors, and a few others I can't remember. Others I wished I could have heard were the Tektons and SVS Ultra's, but impossible to find in the stores as I believe they are Internet only.

Anyway, then it came down to either the RTI's or LSiM's. I had heard both the A7's and 705's. As others have indicated, I felt the LSiM's provided the better overall sound, however it was a lot closer to my ears than what I had been reading. Regardless, I splurged for the 705's at $2K for the pair. And so far, they sound good, but not great, in my room (14x22 with high ceilings to the second floor).

I think the 705 lacks some in the bass when you don't have a sub. But the high end I can hear all the details. It will depend on your room and placement. you may need to move them closer or further back from the wall. What you describe sounds like your mlp is in a room mode dip or have some early reflections that may need treatment. the rti is like a dirty hasy window the lsim is like a clean window. I can hear more detail in the 705 then the A7s.
post #40454 of 40461 Old Today, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, absolutely. I have tried various placements, but notice the difference mainly with the low end. Here's my current set-up (attached)...roughly 6 feet spaced apart and 10 feet from listening area. The speakers sit roughly 6 inches from the back wall, and are downward-firing. Any suggestions to improve the high end?
pull the forward so that they are proud of the entertainment system. if you can space them out 8 feet appart. toe them in so they point at you the high end is very directional.
that is pretty close to how I have my setup.
post #40455 of 40461 Old Today, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
The sound may indeed change somewhat after breaking in, but the Lsi line does sound different from the Rti's. While I have never heard the LsiM's specifically, I remember that my Lsi9's were disappointing when used for HDTV. They just sounded thin. The Rti's OTOH sound more "robust" (fuller & brighter if you will). Listening to the same music on my Rti's and Lsi's there are noticeable and significant differences in tonality, particularly on the high end. Overall I prefer to listen to music on the Rti's when I can crank it up, but the Lsi's sound better at lower levels... not that the Lsi's are any less capable. I believe they have a flatter, more consistent sound. I think that if you end up keeping your Lsi's you will not be disappointed. It may be that you need to become accustomed to their sound as much as they need to break in a little.
Rob, very good analysis, and I agree 100% The LSiM's do sound better at lower volumes...they have slightly better mids and a more rounded low end that provides a sense of fullness. The A7's, of course, were brighter and were not far off in the low frequency range, but their woofers were more of a sharp "thud" vs. the smooth robustness of the LSiM's. At the risk of over analyzing this, I can't help wondering if the A9's would have been the sweet spot for me. Regardless, I do think it's a matter of adapting to a different sound than what I've been used to for 20 years with my old KLH's. Just hard to believe that $200 speakers from yesteryear can almost match the SQ of $2,000 speakers from today.
post #40456 of 40461 Old Today, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mr. Tim, very beautiful set up there! You have chosen wisely!!! Okay, maybe I'm just a tad bit envious

What "I'd" do with those mains; move them up to the edge of the rug, widen them about 6" each, then toe them in so the tweeters are pointing right at the center seat.

Give that a try and "see" what you "hear"

On second thought, those speakers are trash, just send them to me, I'll trade you a set of my A9's for them

Set up:
post #40457 of 40461 Old Today, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
pull the forward so that they are proud of the entertainment system. if you can space them out 8 feet appart. toe them in so they point at you the high end is very directional.
that is pretty close to how I have my setup.
Ok, this helped -- thanks. Yes, the 705's are very directional which is an annoyance in itself since I often sit off to one side of the room. What should help improve the high end is when I get my surrounds. Will probably go with the A1's unless anyone has a better solution.
post #40458 of 40461 Old Today, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Mr. Tim, very beautiful set up there! You have chosen wisely!!! Okay, maybe I'm just a tad bit envious

What "I'd" do with those mains; move them up to the edge of the rug, widen them about 6" each, then toe them in so the tweeters are pointing right at the center seat.

On second thought, those speakers are trash, just send them to me, I'll trade you a set of my A9's for them
Haha, good one, Geoff! Sooo, you have heard the 705's and prefer over your A9's? I wish I had the chance to test the A9's. When I tested the 705's vs the A7's at the hi-fi store, I was surprised at how good the A7's stacked up.

Anyway, the re-positioning of the 705's has helped. Thanks to everyone for the valuable and rapid responses -- I feel as though I've been inducted :-)
post #40459 of 40461 Old Today, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Haha, good one, Geoff! Sooo, you have heard the 705's and prefer over your A9's? I wish I had the chance to test the A9's. When I tested the 705's vs the A7's at the hi-fi store, I was surprised at how good the A7's stacked up.

Anyway, the re-positioning of the 705's has helped. Thanks to everyone for the valuable and rapid responses -- I feel as though I've been inducted :-)

No sir, not yet! My ears are virgin to the LSiM series so far! But glad the repositioning has helped. I sounds like Fisch and I had the same suggestions for you

Set up:
post #40460 of 40461 Old Today, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I like the fxi a4 or a6 for surrounds. although I am moving things around again and may replace my surround rear with the fxia4 then get an lsim 702
post #40461 of 40461 Unread Today, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Pretty cool setup!

What are you using to feed the 705s? I'm using an Emotiva XPA-2 and the speakers are not lacking anything to be honest with you. Yes, they sound different compared to the A9's - without much technical wording, in my experience the A9's are a tad on the bright side compared to the 705's.

Granted, I tried the 705s alone for testing purposes, but they are actually paired with subwoofers.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page