Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1350 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #40471 of 40478 Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Spoiler!

I'll see at the other side, as soon as you are ready to cross this road!

Carlos, I let you borrow my set up for your little pictorial, now I want it back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzigs View Post
the question is does the Emotiva outdo the pure 80 wpc from my vintage Yamaha stereo amp? Unfortunately, I'm not tech-savvy enough to know the answer to that, so may have to hear for my own ears.

Yeah, no one that I know of is tech-savvy enough to ever "say" what is going to sound better without first listening!

If you could, it would be a great benefit to you if you could get someone with an XPA-2 to bring over to your house to use in your set up just long enough to do the test.

Knowing the XPA-2's (I have a pair of them), I'd go out on a limb and say, "yes" they'd out do an 80wpc stereo amp, that's a 220wpc difference.

I'm in WA St, Seattle area, if you're near by, you can use one of my amps!!! But I get to hear what they sound like

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40472 of 40478 Old Yesterday, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Considering new Polk LSiM 707. Currently have new Harmon Kardan 3770 (120 wpc) . Is this enough power or do I need to get a new amp to get the full benefit of these speakers. I use my system almost exclusively for two channel music, jazz, acoustic instrumental, folk, celtic, some rock. Listening volume in the low to mid range.
post #40473 of 40478 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I had the same problem with my 706s tweeter so I asked for a replacement tweeter and problem solved!!
thanks that's good to hear. Why we are the only two that have problems with our lsims
post #40474 of 40478 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Well, I'm sure we're all a little crazy when it comes to a quest for great sound :-)
Yep, and that is the reason we are all here at multiple forums on that quest...................

Quote:
What you are describing seems similar to my experience moving from strictly AVR to AVR pre-amp out to a stereo receiver for my fronts.
This is going to be a topic of preferences, but IMHO you can definitely benefit from external amplification. I'm using my AVR as pre-out and I left the heavy lifting to the Emotivas. So, I know the power is there when needed and I'm not putting my speaker at risk of clipping.

Of course, there are other folks that listen at very low levels and therefore for them an AVR will do the work just fine. Once again..........there is no right or wrong call on how folks drive their speakers - it is simple each person's preferences or listening habits that might decide on how to proceed here.

Quote:
Now, the question is does the Emotiva outdo the pure 80 wpc from my vintage Yamaha stereo amp? Unfortunately, I'm not tech-savvy enough to know the answer to that, so may have to hear for my own ears.
That is a tricky question to answer. I can only say it depends and there are several factors to consider: size of the room, closed or open room, treated or not treated room, regular listening levels (low levels, moderate levels, loud levels, Geoff's levels.......yeah the crazy loud stuff!).

For music I'm usually at -20 dB, but there are some days (wife not at home) or track that I really like that I push the system to -5 dB.

Movies it is around the same -20 dB (wife's levels) to -10 dB (just me at the room)!

Bottom line, if you are happy on how your system sounds and you are not risking the speaker clipping the signal, then you are golden.

Quote:
And as far as Onkyo AVR's go, I have an older one those collecting dust b/c the sound was terrible through it (thin and weak).
Yeah, I'm still looking at the Onkyo on how bad the 705s sounded during the test. But as you, that is the AVR collecting dust too.

Quote:
I do take comfort in knowing that you you went from the A9's to the 705's, so therein lies evidence that the 705's do have more potential.
WARNING - WARNING .......... rabbit hole ahead!!!

Yep, they do. But that automatically created the need to buy a 704c and an extra pair of 703s to be used as surround speakers + pedestals. But, nothing of that is going to happen until I'm able to sell the A9s and A6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I had the same problem with my 706s tweeter so I asked for a replacement tweeter and problem solved!!
Enrico!!! What is going on man? Anything new at your room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Carlos, I let you borrow my set up for your little pictorial, now I want it back!!
Yeah, good luck trying to get those back...........LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
I'm in WA St, Seattle area, if you're near by, you can use one of my amps!!! But I get to hear what they sound like
I'm in Georgia, north Atlanta area. So, I'm willing to help too.
post #40475 of 40478 Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
thanks that's good to hear. Why we are the only two that have problems with our lsims
You guys really need to stop touching the speakers that way......................

post #40476 of 40478 Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by chensel3 View Post
Considering new Polk LSiM 707. Currently have new Harmon Kardan 3770 (120 wpc) . Is this enough power or do I need to get a new amp to get the full benefit of these speakers. I use my system almost exclusively for two channel music, jazz, acoustic instrumental, folk, celtic, some rock. Listening volume in the low to mid range.
Kinda de
post #40477 of 40478 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by chensel3 View Post
Kinda depends on how big your room is but I'd give it a shot. I noticed that your receiver doesn't have any preouts so you will need another Receiver or something else if it's not enough for you.
post #40478 of 40478 Old Today, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post
Yep, they do. But that automatically created the need to buy a 704c and an extra pair of 703s to be used as surround speakers + pedestals. But, nothing of that is going to happen until I'm able to sell the A9s and A6.
Yep, the needs never seem to cease! And now that I have my 705's, I need to match a good pair of surrounds. Again, with mostly music in mind, I'm thinking mounted bookshelves would be the way to go vs. true surrounds. And, to keep it sexy, I'd like them to match my 705's and brazilian cherry wood floors :-) Has anyone mounted the A1's, A3's, or any other good bookshelf in cherry?
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page