Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1352 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #40531 of 40558 Old 05-10-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdowenjr View Post
I am moving the monitor's into my bedroom. As well as the CS10.

Bedroom system
Monitor 40 mains
Monitor 30 surrounds
CS10 center
Sony SA-W2500 subwoofer
Sony STR-DN840 AVR

It is probably too much for the bedroom but the sound should be awesome.
I had M40's in the bedroom before upgrading to Lsi9's in there. And we still have M60's, M30's and a CS10 in our vacation condo. As I said, great bang for the buck, but the Rti's are much better speakers all around.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. TV room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
RobLee is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #40532 of 40558 Old 05-11-2015, 07:44 AM
Newbie
 
jmdowenjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Schenectady, N.Y.
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I have what may be a dumb question. Right now I have paradigm ADP-170 dipole speakers as my back surrounds. Should I keep the in the Rti setup or replace them with Rti4's?
If I keep them the setup will be:

Rti8's main
Rti4's height,wides and side surround
Csi3 center
Paradigm ADP-170 back surround
PSW-10x2 subwoofer

If I do not keep them then the wides will be eliminated and the Rti4's will be the back surrounds.

What do you think?
jmdowenjr is offline  
post #40533 of 40558 Old 05-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Member
 
zpatter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdowenjr View Post
I have what may be a dumb question. Right now I have paradigm ADP-170 dipole speakers as my back surrounds. Should I keep the in the Rti setup or replace them with Rti4's?
If I keep them the setup will be:

Rti8's main
Rti4's height,wides and side surround
Csi3 center
Paradigm ADP-170 back surround
PSW-10x2 subwoofer

If I do not keep them then the wides will be eliminated and the Rti4's will be the back surrounds.

What do you think?
Try both and see which sounds best to you. It isn't nearly as critical that the surrounds match the fronts though. The Paradigms look like solid speakers to me, so they should be fine.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
zpatter1 is offline  
post #40534 of 40558 Old 05-11-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mr266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,274
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdowenjr View Post
I have what may be a dumb question. Right now I have paradigm ADP-170 dipole speakers as my back surrounds. Should I keep the in the Rti setup or replace them with Rti4's?
If I keep them the setup will be:

Rti8's main
Rti4's height,wides and side surround
Csi3 center
Paradigm ADP-170 back surround
PSW-10x2 subwoofer

If I do not keep them then the wides will be eliminated and the Rti4's will be the back surrounds.

What do you think?
Since you already have the speakers, this would be a great chance to play around and see what sounds best to you. Have fun and enjoy.

WDTV Live SMP with 11TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
mr266 is offline  
post #40535 of 40558 Old 05-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Newbie
 
jmdowenjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Schenectady, N.Y.
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
Since you already have the speakers, this would be a great chance to play around and see what sounds best to you. Have fun and enjoy.
Thank You I think I will keep them.
jmdowenjr is offline  
post #40536 of 40558 Old 05-11-2015, 04:16 PM
Member
 
djp2k7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdowenjr View Post
I have what may be a dumb question. Right now I have paradigm ADP-170 dipole speakers as my back surrounds. Should I keep the in the Rti setup or replace them with Rti4's?
If I keep them the setup will be:

Rti8's main
Rti4's height,wides and side surround
Csi3 center
Paradigm ADP-170 back surround
PSW-10x2 subwoofer

If I do not keep them then the wides will be eliminated and the Rti4's will be the back surrounds.

What do you think?
Out of curiosity...have you tried swapping the Paradigms and a pair of RTi4's to see if you prefer having the monopoles as back surrounds and ADP-170 bipoles as side surrounds?

Living room: Marantz NR1602 / Polk Monitor 10's w/RDO-198's and upgraded crossovers.
Den: Denon AVR-X2000 / Onkyo C-7030 / PS4 / Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 LCR / Polk FX500i / Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Ex
djp2k7 is offline  
post #40537 of 40558 Old 05-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Newbie
 
jmdowenjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Schenectady, N.Y.
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
Out of curiosity...have you tried swapping the Paradigms and a pair of RTi4's to see if you prefer having the monopoles as back surrounds and ADP-170 bipoles as side surrounds?
No I haven't because my rti4's haven't arrived yet. I will try it and let you know which sounds better.
Thanks
jmdowenjr is offline  
post #40538 of 40558 Unread 05-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Member
 
timzigs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm sure this has been covered somewhat already so apologies in advance for any redundancies. I have LSiM 705's for my fronts and would like to compliment with a pair of surrounds. Originally, I was going to get the 703's, but have been re-thinking whether bipole/dipole would be the way to go. Although I love my 705's, they appear to be somewhat directional so I'm concerned that the 703's will have the same issue. My first priority is good sound quality, primarily for music, and since I've never tried a true surround speaker, I have no idea whether you lose some SQ in return in return for dispersion. Could anyone with experience with both types of speakers comment?
timzigs is offline  
post #40539 of 40558 Unread 05-18-2015, 10:44 AM
Member
 
zpatter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by timzigs View Post
I'm sure this has been covered somewhat already so apologies in advance for any redundancies. I have LSiM 705's for my fronts and would like to compliment with a pair of surrounds. Originally, I was going to get the 703's, but have been re-thinking whether bipole/dipole would be the way to go. Although I love my 705's, they appear to be somewhat directional so I'm concerned that the 703's will have the same issue. My first priority is good sound quality, primarily for music, and since I've never tried a true surround speaker, I have no idea whether you lose some SQ in return in return for dispersion. Could anyone with experience with both types of speakers comment?
Most people suggest direct radiating for music in surround sound, and bipole/dipole for movies. Really depends on personal preference and where you are locating the speakers. I have dipole/bipole and love them. My parents have direct radiating and they also sound very good. It's really about what you prefer.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
zpatter1 is offline  
post #40540 of 40558 Unread 05-18-2015, 04:31 PM
Newbie
 
jmdowenjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Schenectady, N.Y.
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp2k7 View Post
Out of curiosity...have you tried swapping the Paradigms and a pair of RTi4's to see if you prefer having the monopoles as back surrounds and ADP-170 bipoles as side surrounds?
I got the system all set up using the Paradigm's as side surrounds and Rti4's as back surrounds.
This configuration works best. Thank you for suggesting it. The whole new system sounds amazing.
zpatter1 likes this.
jmdowenjr is offline  
post #40541 of 40558 Unread 05-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Member
 
djp2k7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdowenjr View Post
I got the system all set up using the Paradigm's as side surrounds and Rti4's as back surrounds.
This configuration works best. Thank you for suggesting it. The whole new system sounds amazing.
Good to hear. Enjoy!
zpatter1 likes this.

Living room: Marantz NR1602 / Polk Monitor 10's w/RDO-198's and upgraded crossovers.
Den: Denon AVR-X2000 / Onkyo C-7030 / PS4 / Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 LCR / Polk FX500i / Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Ex
djp2k7 is offline  
post #40542 of 40558 Unread 05-19-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 6,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I see there's an official Polk owners thread, so this is the best place to ask. I have a chance to pick up a "vintage" pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5 speakers for about $85 (Canadian). I want to use them for the front R and L of a 5.1 setup (they're 22" high, which is what I'm looking for). Are these good speakers, and is it a good buy at $85?
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #40543 of 40558 Unread 05-20-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MidnightWatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: The Great White North
Posts: 6,049
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone? I figured there'd be a Polk Audio expert in here somewhere.

Last edited by MidnightWatcher; 05-20-2015 at 09:45 AM.
MidnightWatcher is offline  
post #40544 of 40558 Unread 05-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
I see there's an official Polk owners thread, so this is the best place to ask. I have a chance to pick up a "vintage" pair of Polk Audio Monitor 5 speakers for about $85 (Canadian). I want to use them for the front R and L of a 5.1 setup (they're 22" high, which is what I'm looking for). Are these good speakers, and is it a good buy at $85?
Probably not bad for a two channel setup but going to be hard to find a center to match.
laserjock II is online now  
post #40545 of 40558 Unread 05-20-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
I figured there'd be a Polk Audio expert in here somewhere.
As Indiana Jones once said, "I'm just making this up as we go along".

...

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. TV room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
RobLee is online now  
post #40546 of 40558 Unread 05-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
bad1550's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If anyone is interested in Like New LSiM's (Purchased Brand New in January 2015)

Local Pickup - Zip Code 10528. Or PM me



http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/ele/5033636558.html
bad1550 is offline  
post #40547 of 40558 Unread 05-22-2015, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rgathright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Pearl River, La.
Posts: 4,484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Polk 265-LS or 265-RT for Fxi4 Replacement??

Which one of these in-wall speakers would be the best replacement for the Fxi4 for my surround sound? I want them to match my Rti8 front speaker also.
rgathright is offline  
post #40548 of 40558 Unread 05-22-2015, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cr136124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
Which one of these in-wall speakers would be the best replacement for the Fxi4 for my surround sound? I want them to match my Rti8 front speaker also.
The best match is going to be the 265-RT (less expensive too)

cr136124 is offline  
post #40549 of 40558 Unread 05-22-2015, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
Which one of these in-wall speakers would be the best replacement for the Fxi4 for my surround sound? I want them to match my Rti8 front speaker also.
You can see the relationship in the speaker's nomenclature. The 265-RT belongs to the RTi family of speakers and the 265-LS to the LSi family.

From the Polk Audio product web page:

265-RT Features:
  • Vanishing Series RT speakers are timbre-matched to Polk RTi speakers to insure utterly seamless blending from speaker to speaker in systems that combine traditional and built-in speakers.

Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD
Denon AVR-5200 (DTS Neo:X 11.1/Dolby Atmos 7.1.4); AudioSource AMP-100 (x3)
Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW) OWM5 (Sr, SB, FH), 80F/X-RT (TM); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM3/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zone2/3)

Last edited by chi_guy50; 05-22-2015 at 11:18 AM.
chi_guy50 is online now  
post #40550 of 40558 Unread 05-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Have I damaged my speakers????

Setup:

Polk Monitor 10 b (like new)

Harman Kardon HK 3770

Yamaha CD C-600

I cranked up the new London Grammar album to -15 db and started to hear clipping. Never had this happen before. After about 5 minutes, turned down and tried some testing. This morning listening to Keith Jarrett Paris Concert heard some strange whistling coming from right speaker.

There are clearly no blown speaker cones, however I am concerned I may have damaged them in some fashion.

Thoughts????
chensel3 is offline  
post #40551 of 40558 Unread 05-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
cesar123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Not as good as the friends & family sale, but Polk has a sale going on the RTi and TSi towers.

Use promo code 2NDTOWER to get 50% off the second tower.

Yippee-ki-yay...
cesar123 is offline  
post #40552 of 40558 Unread 05-29-2015, 05:18 AM
Member
 
JTH182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, just had a quick question about matching a center for my old RTi70's. Right now I have a CSi30. Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to a CSi40, CSi5, or CSi a6 If I could find a good deal? Would it be a noticeable difference stepping up to the 6.5" woofers from the 5.25" (which don't match my fronts)?

P.S. what's a decent price for a CSi5, since that seems to be my best bet for price/availability?

Last edited by JTH182; 05-29-2015 at 10:03 PM.
JTH182 is offline  
post #40553 of 40558 Unread Yesterday, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH182 View Post
Would it be worth it for me to upgrade to a CSi40, CSi5, or CSi a6 If I could find a good deal? Would it be a noticeable difference stepping up to the 6.5" woofers from the 5.25" (which don't match my fronts)? P.S. what's a decent price for a CSi5, since that seems to be my best bet for price/availability?
The 6" drivers deliver male voices much better and are noticeably better for HT (action movies) compared to 5", which are fine for TV and casual music. I picked up a used Csi5 in excellent condition for around $150 IIRC.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. TV room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
RobLee is online now  
post #40554 of 40558 Unread Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Member
 
JTH182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the reply. I decided to go for it. I "paid" more than I wanted, but I used free gift cards I acquired to Amazon, so it didn't really cost me anything. I can't wait for this beast to arrive!
zpatter1 likes this.
JTH182 is offline  
post #40555 of 40558 Unread Today, 06:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New system questions

Morning all,

I've been researching upgrading my home theater system here in a year or so and wanted to bounce some ideas/questions off of some of you.

Here's my current 5.1 system::
- Fronts: RTI6s
- Center: CSI5
- Surrounds: FXI5s
- Subwoofer: PSW404
- Receiver: Yamaha RXV471 (output 105 watts)

I'll be looking to go to the following 7.1 system:
- Fronts: LSIM703s
- Center: LSIM704c
- Surrounds: FXIA6s
- Rears: FXIA6s
- Subwoofer: DSWPRO550
- Receiver: Yamaha RX2040 (output 140 watts)

The room is about 15' x 20'. I'll primarily be using it for home theater use so not worried about setting it up for just music. I'm not necessarily looking to jump into Dolby Atmos so don't need to worry about ceiling speakers or anything either. Here are some of the questions I have::

1 - I've read that the 703s (fronts) and the 704 (center) is timbre matched....but the 703s have a 6.5" woofer and the 704 has a 5.25" woofer...would they make a good match or should I bump the center up to the LSIM706 model?

2 - Besides an AV receiver unit I've never bought a dedicated amplifier....any idea if the Yamaha 2040 will put out enough juice to meet the potential of these speakers? I'm guessing that when I get the setup if they sound 'weak' that will answer the question for me but figured I'd ask here off the bat.

3 - While I've seen glowing reviews (and love my own) for Polk speakers...I've also seen that (many?/some?) don't care as much for Polk subwoofers. Should I look elsewhere for a sub? Or maybe make a 7.2 system and get a second 550?

4 - Anyone here have any thoughts on me putting the FXIA6s as my surrounds/backs vs. perhaps going with the RTIA3s? I'm thinking that since I'm focused on home theatre the dedicated surround (FXIA6s) will work better.

I'm not in a rush just yet to get anything...Like I said earlier these purchases are at least (if not more) a year out. Technology changes (i.e. HDCP 2.2) and new models come out so things change. I guess I'm just looking to see if I'm on the right 'track' in researching the new system.

Thanks in advance for your comments/help.
miamibrice is online now  
post #40556 of 40558 Unread Today, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chi_guy50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,652
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Newegg.com has the RTi8 (in Black) for just $130 (plus $2 Super Eggsaver shipping) today. Limit of 5 per customer.

That's the lowest price I can recall for new RTi8's. I think the previous low was $150 in March of this year at newegg, while Polk's eBay store was selling the refurbs for $150 at the same time.

Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD
Denon AVR-5200 (DTS Neo:X 11.1/Dolby Atmos 7.1.4); AudioSource AMP-100 (x3)
Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW) OWM5 (Sr, SB, FH), 80F/X-RT (TM); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM3/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zone2/3)
chi_guy50 is online now  
post #40557 of 40558 Unread Today, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
ThinkRationally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibrice View Post
Morning all,

I've been researching upgrading my home theater system here in a year or so and wanted to bounce some ideas/questions off of some of you.

Here's my current 5.1 system::
- Fronts: RTI6s
- Center: CSI5
- Surrounds: FXI5s
- Subwoofer: PSW404
- Receiver: Yamaha RXV471 (output 105 watts)

I'll be looking to go to the following 7.1 system:
- Fronts: LSIM703s
- Center: LSIM704c
- Surrounds: FXIA6s
- Rears: FXIA6s
- Subwoofer: DSWPRO550
- Receiver: Yamaha RX2040 (output 140 watts)
I have a Yamaha receiver (RX-V773) and I like it. Above you are comparing the 1 channel driven, 1kHz rating of the 471 to the 2 channel driven, 20 Hz to 20 kHz rating of the 2040 (which I assume is the RX-A2040?). This is actually good news--the 2 channel full range rating on the 471 is 85 watts, so the jump is a bit bigger than you thought.

With regard to subwoofers, I'm going to throw in a vote for some of the ID options out there. I have an SVS PB-1000, which is a great sub for the money (I think it's in the range of the DSWPRO550, maybe even less expensive). SVS also have a 2000 line if you want a little more punch (and a couple of higher lines that really pack a punch, but are over $1k and up). Some others might recommend other ID options, such as PSA.

I'm running a small RTiA setup, so I can't comment on the LSiMs.
ThinkRationally is online now  
post #40558 of 40558 Unread Today, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CVG
Posts: 2,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibrice View Post
1 - I've read that the 703s (fronts) and the 704 (center) is timbre matched....but the 703s have a 6.5" woofer and the 704 has a 5.25" woofer...would they make a good match or should I bump the center up to the LSIM706 model?

2 - Besides an AV receiver unit I've never bought a dedicated amplifier....any idea if the Yamaha 2040 will put out enough juice to meet the potential of these speakers? I'm guessing that when I get the setup if they sound 'weak' that will answer the question for me but figured I'd ask here off the bat.

3 - While I've seen glowing reviews (and love my own) for Polk speakers...I've also seen that (many?/some?) don't care as much for Polk subwoofers. Should I look elsewhere for a sub? Or maybe make a 7.2 system and get a second 550?

4 - Anyone here have any thoughts on me putting the FXIA6s as my surrounds/backs vs. perhaps going with the RTIA3s? I'm thinking that since I'm focused on home theatre the dedicated surround (FXIA6s) will work better.

I'm not in a rush just yet to get anything...Like I said earlier these purchases are at least (if not more) a year out. Technology changes (i.e. HDCP 2.2) and new models come out so things change. I guess I'm just looking to see if I'm on the right 'track' in researching the new system.

Thanks in advance for your comments/help.
You are right about Polk subs - they are not that great. You can find better for the price (except maybe the 505 is a good bargain sub). I have no experience with ID subs but have stayed away from most of the names often mentioned here because you are buying without listening and based only on one persons experiences and tastes. I own several Klipsch subs, and they are very affordable and reliable, though most would say they are "not musical", which I don't care about anyway. Instead I just buy big speakers for music and run without the sub.

You mentioned you are only interested in HT and not music, but seem to be interested only in the Lsi's. My experience is that the Rti's are better suited for movies and the Lsi's are better for music. You might save some money by going with RtiA9's and a good external amp, rather than investing a boatload in Lsi's. Some may disagree here. Okay, some WILL disagree, but I found the Lsi's (at least the ones I have) are a bit weak when used for HT, though they are indeed superior for music, especially "soft" quiet music.

When evaluating reviews of Polk speakers, be sure you know which Polk speakers... they are not all the same.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. TV room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
RobLee is online now  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off