Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1353 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #40561 of 40585 Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
I am now thinking about putting my side surrounds in the ceiling and then rear surrounds back behind me. Any suggestions on which ones to get that won't break the bank. I will keep my Csi5 center and the Rti8 front speakers. Also will I get great sound out of the ceiling speakers if my ceilings are 10' tall?
it depends on what experience you are looking for. good and great are not found in ceiling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40562 of 40585 Old 06-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamibrice View Post
Morning all,

I've been researching upgrading my home theater system here in a year or so and wanted to bounce some ideas/questions off of some of you.

Here's my current 5.1 system::
- Fronts: RTI6s
- Center: CSI5
- Surrounds: FXI5s
- Subwoofer: PSW404
- Receiver: Yamaha RXV471 (output 105 watts)

I'll be looking to go to the following 7.1 system:
- Fronts: LSIM703s
- Center: LSIM704c
- Surrounds: FXIA6s
- Rears: FXIA6s
- Subwoofer: DSWPRO550
- Receiver: Yamaha RX2040 (output 140 watts)

The room is about 15' x 20'. I'll primarily be using it for home theater use so not worried about setting it up for just music. I'm not necessarily looking to jump into Dolby Atmos so don't need to worry about ceiling speakers or anything either. Here are some of the questions I have::

1 - I've read that the 703s (fronts) and the 704 (center) is timbre matched....but the 703s have a 6.5" woofer and the 704 has a 5.25" woofer...would they make a good match or should I bump the center up to the LSIM706 model?

2 - Besides an AV receiver unit I've never bought a dedicated amplifier....any idea if the Yamaha 2040 will put out enough juice to meet the potential of these speakers? I'm guessing that when I get the setup if they sound 'weak' that will answer the question for me but figured I'd ask here off the bat.

3 - While I've seen glowing reviews (and love my own) for Polk speakers...I've also seen that (many?/some?) don't care as much for Polk subwoofers. Should I look elsewhere for a sub? Or maybe make a 7.2 system and get a second 550?

4 - Anyone here have any thoughts on me putting the FXIA6s as my surrounds/backs vs. perhaps going with the RTIA3s? I'm thinking that since I'm focused on home theatre the dedicated surround (FXIA6s) will work better.

I'm not in a rush just yet to get anything...Like I said earlier these purchases are at least (if not more) a year out. Technology changes (i.e. HDCP 2.2) and new models come out so things change. I guess I'm just looking to see if I'm on the right 'track' in researching the new system.

Thanks in advance for your comments/help.
1) they play very nice with each other. Get the larger one if you sit far away from the center or need a higher crossover.

2) this depends on how loud you play. my 2030 drives the 703 and 705 pretty well, we just need more power sometimes to deal with a room mode.

3) I have a 660 pro, I think a PSA or SVS would leave it in the dust. I have rythmic in the other room so I can't speak to the other brands but there my LVR12 has more extension and output and at retail prices would be cheaper then the 660.

4) keep the fx5 there won't be enough difference for you to notice on a surround. for surround back I think a bipole/dipole speaker vs bookshelf has a lot to do with preference and the location of the speakers.

rtia vs lsim the rtia will for the most part play louder but the lsim look so much nicer and there is a sound quality difference. I doubt you would notice it in a movie that much.
post #40563 of 40585 Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
You might save some money by going with RtiA9's and a good external amp, rather than investing a boatload in Lsi's. Some may disagree here. Okay, some WILL disagree, but I found the Lsi's (at least the ones I have) are a bit weak when used for HT, though they are indeed superior for music, especially "soft" quiet music.
Not including the center, I believe the RTI A9's and LSiM 703's will put you out the same amount, right?

I have both the A7's and 705's, and irregardless of HT or music, room size seems to dictate the best match. In my 15x22 high-ceiling living room, the 705's shine...the A7's perform miraculously in my smaller den.
post #40564 of 40585 Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
I am now thinking about putting my side surrounds in the ceiling and then rear surrounds back behind me. Any suggestions on which ones to get that won't break the bank. I will keep my Csi5 center and the Rti8 front speakers. Also will I get great sound out of the ceiling speakers if my ceilings are 10' tall?
I used to have my side surrounds in-ceiling and rear surrounds behind the MLP, just as you are contemplating doing. It worked just fine for me. Be aware, however, that you will have to make some changes if and when you want to expand to a multi-dimensional (Atmos or Auro or DTS:X) system since you will then absolutely want the surrounds to be all on the listener-level plane in order to create separation from the top-level speakers.

As far as the sound level is concerned, your AVR's REQ should adjust for the ceiling height, and you could always bump the level up a few dB if you find it advantageous.

I can personally recommend the 80F/X-RT for surround duty. They are a timbre match for your RTi8 fronts and are currently available at Polk's eBay store for about $240 a pair. Polk has also just announced a new line of in-ceiling speakers, the "V Series," which look promising. You can read about them here, but I don't know when they will hit the retail market.

Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD
Denon AVR-5200 (DTS Neo:X 11.1/Dolby Atmos 7.1.4); AudioSource AMP-100 (x3)
Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW) OWM5 (Sr, SB, FH), 80F/X-RT (TM); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM3/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zone2/3)
post #40565 of 40585 Old 06-03-2015, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Placement of Surround Speakers

The placement of the surround speakers is the reason for looking at the ceiling option. I cannot have side speakers in the new place. In my current setup I don't have true side speaker locations. My Fxi3's are behind us and to each side of our recliners. They are also about 7' up and angled toward our seating area. This is my only option there.

In the new place the living room will be 12' wide x 16' deep with one side open to the kitchen area. There is a exterior door to the rear/side of our chairs. I cannot put a side speaker there. At first I thought about using my current Fxi3's or Fxi4's on the back wall, but I want a neater look. Our chairs will be 2 or 3 feet off of the wall. So I figured some inwall bipole/dipoles would work best. It then was suggested I get some ceiling speakers.

I don't know what to do!!!!
post #40566 of 40585 Old 06-03-2015, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can the regular banana plugs be used when wall mounting fxia6? I used the supplied polk screw to hang them and even put two of the rubber isolators on the botbott o f the back to give it better appearance
post #40567 of 40585 Old 06-03-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassConfusion View Post
Can the regular banana plugs be used when wall mounting fxia6? I used the supplied polk screw to hang them and even put two of the rubber isolators on the botbott o f the back to give it better appearance
NO

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #40568 of 40585 Old 06-04-2015, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish Polk had a nice set of bipole/dipole speakers in wall/ceiling speakers comparable to the Fxi models. I love the sound of my Fxi3 and Fxi4 speakers, but they will be to big in my new house.
post #40569 of 40585 Old 06-04-2015, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wish Polk had a nice set of bipole/dipole speakers in wall/ceiling speakers comparable to the Fxi models. I love the sound of my Fxi3 and Fxi4 speakers, but they will be to big in my new house.
if you want you can post pics of your new room maybe the group can come up with a creative layout.
post #40570 of 40585 Old 06-04-2015, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Build the house to accommodate the speakers, not the other way around lol
azz7686 likes this.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #40571 of 40585 Old 06-05-2015, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
if you want you can post pics of your new room maybe the group can come up with a creative layout.
Let's see if these will work. The room is 12' across and 16' deep with the right side (looking at TV) is all open. There will be a pair of French doors in the wall to the right of the right chair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L-R Layout  (1).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	756785   Click image for larger version

Name:	L-R Layout  (2).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	756793  
post #40572 of 40585 Old 06-05-2015, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi all:

Dont know if this is the right place to post my question.

I just bought a pair of RtiA5 for a 5.1 set up along with a CsiA6. Since I had not yet decided on the surround speakers, and since my sub had not yet arrived, I decided to hook up the RtiA5 to my two channel receiver (Yamaha) and test how they sound. Currently i have a pair of Wharfedales (Rubiance RB-25s) as part of my two channel set up.

When I hooked up the RtiA5s instead, they performed very well in the high frequencies and caught details that were missing before. The bass was a little sloppy, but no major cause for complaint. What was a little surprising is that some of the mid range frequencies were very suppressed compared to the Wharfedales. In some cases this was the vocals, and in other cases instrumental in that range (e.g. keyboards). I was not expecting it since the RtiA5 are supposed to do better on the mid range compared to the A7s. It was quite noticeable, to my ears at least.

At this point my question is: when I hook up the A5s as part of a 5.1 set up once the rest of the gear arrives, will the CsiA6 compensate for this? I am certainly hoping it will. I may be dated in my views, but I think the fundamental test of floor standing speakers is how they perform in a 2 channel set up. So I am a little wary at this point.

I should also mention that I switched the Yamaha for a Denon X4000. The suppressed middle remains. So it is not an ampkifier matching issue.

Also: do you think bi wiring may address the problem?

Thanks much in advance.
post #40573 of 40585 Old 06-06-2015, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkRationally View Post
I have a Yamaha receiver (RX-V773) and I like it. Above you are comparing the 1 channel driven, 1kHz rating of the 471 to the 2 channel driven, 20 Hz to 20 kHz rating of the 2040 (which I assume is the RX-A2040?). This is actually good news--the 2 channel full range rating on the 471 is 85 watts, so the jump is a bit bigger than you thought.

With regard to subwoofers, I'm going to throw in a vote for some of the ID options out there. I have an SVS PB-1000, which is a great sub for the money (I think it's in the range of the DSWPRO550, maybe even less expensive). SVS also have a 2000 line if you want a little more punch (and a couple of higher lines that really pack a punch, but are over $1k and up). Some others might recommend other ID options, such as PSA.

I'm running a small RTiA setup, so I can't comment on the LSiMs.
I'll agree with the other comments so far and really recommend you looks at a better Sub for movies! I have the DSWPRO550wi which is part of my Polk 2.1 music setup and I borrowed it for my theater when my older Polk sub died, it wasn't very impressive! Great for my 2.1 set up but not for my theater...so I got the SVS PB2000 and OMG its day and night. I can't recommend it enough and it really makes the movies come to life. For the center I would personally try and keep everything across the LCR the same. I did end up buying an Emo AMP when I upgraded my speakers to the LSi range but you may find you don't need that, but if you have the money and like loud movie watching the extra power will help drive those speakers!

Epson 5020UB - Falcon Screens AT 131"
Onkyo TX NR818 - Emotiva XPA-5 - Panamax M5300
Polk 265LS/255cLS L/C/R - 80F/X-LS & LSiM703 surrounds - Dual SVS PB2000 subs
OPPO BDP-103 - HTPC with MediaBrowser3
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...-re-model.html
post #40574 of 40585 Old 06-06-2015, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam555 View Post
Hi all:

Dont know if this is the right place to post my question.

I just bought a pair of RtiA5 for a 5.1 set up along with a CsiA6. Since I had not yet decided on the surround speakers, and since my sub had not yet arrived, I decided to hook up the RtiA5 to my two channel receiver (Yamaha) and test how they sound. Currently i have a pair of Wharfedales (Rubiance RB-25s) as part of my two channel set up.

When I hooked up the RtiA5s instead, they performed very well in the high frequencies and caught details that were missing before. The bass was a little sloppy, but no major cause for complaint. What was a little surprising is that some of the mid range frequencies were very suppressed compared to the Wharfedales. In some cases this was the vocals, and in other cases instrumental in that range (e.g. keyboards). I was not expecting it since the RtiA5 are supposed to do better on the mid range compared to the A7s. It was quite noticeable, to my ears at least.

At this point my question is: when I hook up the A5s as part of a 5.1 set up once the rest of the gear arrives, will the CsiA6 compensate for this? I am certainly hoping it will. I may be dated in my views, but I think the fundamental test of floor standing speakers is how they perform in a 2 channel set up. So I am a little wary at this point.

I should also mention that I switched the Yamaha for a Denon X4000. The suppressed middle remains. So it is not an ampkifier matching issue.

Also: do you think bi wiring may address the problem?

Thanks much in advance.
Have you tried playing with the positioning of the speakers? (e.g. Distance from the back wall, distance apart, distance from the side walls, and toe in)? They may need a different position than your old speakers. Also, you may need to give them some time to break in.

With the Denon, have you tried using audessy calibration?
sam555 likes this.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #40575 of 40585 Old 06-06-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
Have you tried playing with the positioning of the speakers? (e.g. Distance from the back wall, distance apart, distance from the side walls, and toe in)? They may need a different position than your old speakers. Also, you may need to give them some time to break in.

With the Denon, have you tried using audessy calibration?
I'll second this. I have the RTI8's (older version of the A5's) and they have midrange for days and although this speaker is not huge on bass, it's not sloppy. Play around a bit more to see if you can get better results, but all I can say is that I'm currently listening to them in 2 Channel mode and loving the music.
sam555 likes this.

WDTV Live SMP with 11TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #40576 of 40585 Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Alright..I arrived at this independently...but zpatter1 and mr266 you are absolutely right! I moved the speakers away some more from the corners and shifted them around a bit. They sound absolutely fantastic! No issues whatsoever. I am keeping them without any hesitation.

I have not yet tried audessy. Will do when the rest of the gear arrives.

I am now going to go ahead and order a pair of the RC80i in ceilings, 8". From what I understand they are timbre matched with the Rti's.

Thanks much!
zpatter1 likes this.
post #40577 of 40585 Old 06-06-2015, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Definitely run Audyssey, then as zpatter mentioned let your speakers break in for a few weeks, then run Audyssey again.
zpatter1 likes this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #40578 of 40585 Old 06-07-2015, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm a "Polkie"... here's my 9.2 naked spread, all in the front (for the photo)... Sony str-dn1040 and audiosource amp300(x2) pushing em'. Sharp Aquos 70" LED LCD tv....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150607_223947.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	763025  
azz7686 likes this.
post #40579 of 40585 Old 06-08-2015, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmc26 View Post
I'm a "Polkie"... here's my 9.2 naked spread, all in the front (for the photo)... Sony str-dn1040 and audiosource amp300(x2) pushing em'. Sharp Aquos 70" LED LCD tv....
I think you need more speakers...............

LOL - pretty cool picture.......enjoy your system and congrats!
post #40580 of 40585 Old 06-09-2015, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by starmc26 View Post
So much for the front; what do you have in the rear soundstage?

Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD
Denon AVR-5200 (DTS Neo:X 11.1/Dolby Atmos 7.1.4); AudioSource AMP-100 (x3)
Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW) OWM5 (Sr, SB, FH), 80F/X-RT (TM); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM3/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zone2/3)
post #40581 of 40585 Old 06-16-2015, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I am selling my previous Polk RTI setup RTI A9s, CSI A5s and RTI A5s. If any one interested please check my for sale thread:
Polk Audio RTI A9 x 2 , CSI A6 , RTI A5 x4
post #40582 of 40585 Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just came across this thread, I still have my first HT speaker setup (Polk of course). You would think something would have died by now, but nope...

RT2000P Mains
CS350LS Center
F/X 500i Dipole surrounds
(SVS PC13 Ultra Sub)

Been thinking about upgrading to GoldenEar speakers. Same designer and now they're using the folded ribbon tweeter which is sort of a newer version of the Air Motion Transformer my old AMT-1B speakers had.

post #40583 of 40585 Old 06-29-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First post here on the AVS

My home theater setup as of now is Polk Audio RTI 150 fronts, CSI 40 center, R 150 rears, Mission 760i for side surrounds and my subwoofer is a Velodyne VX-10B all powered by a Pioneer VSX-9130TXH, for music I use my PC hooked up via HDMI and Jriver to play Flacs and DSD files, also nice to have YouTube on the big screen and over NEO6 surround. Plans for the future are to hook a 2ch amp in line with the front speaker to give them a bit more punch. I'm planning on at least 250 watts per ch or more.
zpatter1 likes this.

Polk Audio RTI 150 fronts, CSI 40 center R 150 rears,
Mission 760i side surrounds and Subwoofer Velodyne VX-10B all powered by a Pioneer VSX-9130TXH

Other gear I have is Polk audio rti6, Martin Logan motion 10 powered by Kenwood KM-106, Fisher X-100-A tube amp and much more, Jriver as my music source for Flac and DSD audio
post #40584 of 40585 Unread Today, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I'm sure this question had been asked a thousand times. I'm thinking of buying 7.2 surround system for HT.

Players:
Polk rti a9 w/ matching center and surrounds

Klipsch rp280 w/ matching center and surrounds

Klipsch RF 7 w/ matching center and surrounds.

Martin Logan motion 60 w/ matching center and surrounds

I keep coming back to those cherry a9's. Plus I can get a great deal on Polk or klipsch. Any advise?
post #40585 of 40585 Unread Today, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Polk, Klipsch and ML have very different sound. You should head over to an audio store, or at the very least a Best Buy near you, and listen to them. Pick the one *you* like the most.

I would prefer Polk over Klipsch... But I've heard the A9s can be a tad bright for music. The new RP280s are supposed to be less harsh compared to the previous Reference series.

Again, this is all in theory or in paper. Sort of. Your ears might disagree.

Yippee-ki-yay...
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page