Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1354 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #40591 of 40616 Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredseahawks View Post
I'm also thinking about buying a PSA sub. Does anyone here have a PSA sub with cherry finish and do they match the a9's?
I have PSA XS30 Cordovan Cherry and is not an exact match. A9's cherry is on the orange side and the cordovan is a bit more redish.

If they are not going to be located in a place with direct light it is close...........However, more direct light / sunlight on them and you should be able to tell the difference really easy.

Here is a quick pic for your reference (please take in consideration aperture on the lens is playing a role here - in real light conditions the match is much closer):

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40592 of 40616 Old 07-05-2015, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I originally posted this as it's own thread, but haven't received any replies, so I apologize for the double post:

side surround choice
Hello all,
I'm replacing a Polk wireless F/X surround unit that was damaged in a flood. I have $350 with which to replace it, although I can go a little higher ($400). I'd prefer to go the non-wireless route this time. I have attached a rough drawing of my family room. This issues I run into in this room are that the couch must be placed no greater than 1.5 ft from the back wall which has windows, and the left side of the room is open to the kitchen, forcing me to mount the side speakers on stands. The ceiling is 8 ft. My current setup is as follows:

FR and FL Polk Tsi400
Center Polk CS10
Sub Polk Psw 505
Marantz NR1602 receiver
JVC 61" DLP tv

Usage will be 85% movies and gaming and 15% music. I haven't been able to test any speakers, but have been looking at discussions and reviews of Polk F/XiA4 and FXiA6 as well as the Klipsch RS-42 II. I'd really appreciate input on this decision. Given my room layout, would bi/dipole speakers work best? I can place them up to 4 ft away from the primary listening position (couch). If not, do you have any other suggestions? I will be moving in three years, so this is not a long-term setup.

Also, I do hope to upgrade my speakers someday to the RTIa 7 or 9, so I would want something with future flexibility.
Thanks!
Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	813410  
post #40593 of 40616 Old 07-05-2015, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kps92 View Post
I originally posted this as it's own thread, but haven't received any replies, so I apologize for the double post:

side surround choice
Hello all,
I'm replacing a Polk wireless F/X surround unit that was damaged in a flood. I have $350 with which to replace it, although I can go a little higher ($400). I'd prefer to go the non-wireless route this time. I have attached a rough drawing of my family room. This issues I run into in this room are that the couch must be placed no greater than 1.5 ft from the back wall which has windows, and the left side of the room is open to the kitchen, forcing me to mount the side speakers on stands. The ceiling is 8 ft. My current setup is as follows:

FR and FL Polk Tsi400
Center Polk CS10
Sub Polk Psw 505
Marantz NR1602 receiver
JVC 61" DLP tv

Usage will be 85% movies and gaming and 15% music. I haven't been able to test any speakers, but have been looking at discussions and reviews of Polk F/XiA4 and FXiA6 as well as the Klipsch RS-42 II. I'd really appreciate input on this decision. Given my room layout, would bi/dipole speakers work best? I can place them up to 4 ft away from the primary listening position (couch). If not, do you have any other suggestions? I will be moving in three years, so this is not a long-term setup.

Also, I do hope to upgrade my speakers someday to the RTIa 7 or 9, so I would want something with future flexibility.
Thanks!
Kim
I would get the FXi A6s because you won't wonder what you're missing if you get the A4s. Or you could get RTi A3s for fronts and move the towers to surrounds
climber07 likes this.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #40594 of 40616 Old 07-07-2015, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Posted this in a separate thread. Just hoping for some good advice.

Vintage Polks vs newer Polks in a HT.

Currently going through a master bath renovation and along with that we are expanding over our garage behind the master bath to put in an office/man cave. Because of this I have been given the green light to get new equipment the the man cave.

Through all this I have contemplated whether it would be worth it to also upgrade my vintage Polk S10 speakers in the basement home theater. I've thought about replacing them with Polk Monitor 60 speakers. Would this be a big upgrade or negligible?

I currently have the Polk S10s as fronts, a Polk CS10 center (have a CS2 in a box), Polk R150s as both surrounds and back surrounds, and a PA-120 subwoofer.

For the man cave I have Monitor 40s for fronts, CS10 for center, R150 as surrounds, and either a Polk psw505 or BIC H100 as the sub and a Denon S700W as receiver.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
post #40595 of 40616 Old 07-08-2015, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Question do the RTI-10's have a high pass filter for low frequencies say around 35-40 HZ or should I change my receiver back from full to 40 HZ.

2-RTi-10's 1-CSi5 2-TSi400 6-r150's 1-Velodyne DPS-12(rebuilt power supply with new cap's and rectifier), 2- digger 8's powered by Behringer 3000DSP
Yamaha RX-A3030 and Emotiva XPA-200
PS3-4, Apple TV, Directv Genie, and custom built PC 8core and 16 gigs of ram w/ bluray everything on a half rack on wheels in closet except pc,
Samsung UN65F7100
post #40596 of 40616 Old 07-09-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 327
TOP DEFINITION
Polk
"Gangster as f*ck. Not giving a sh;t about something."
"What you know bout that polk sh;t."

Polk speakers, Gangster as f*ck
zpatter1 and mr266 like this.

Marantz SR5008 - Klipsch CF-2 - Morell surrounds - Sharp 60" - Sony BDP-S1100
DIY dual 12" Infinity sealed subs w/ crown xls1000
HTPC - AMD 6 core - GTX 970 FTW - 16GB Ram - 250GB SSD - 3TB media

Last edited by AlphaPie; 07-09-2015 at 06:09 PM.
post #40597 of 40616 Old 07-16-2015, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Was hoping for help...

House is currently is construction phase. Opted to have ceiling speakers wired in. Regretted this but it was too late by time ..

Purchased 4 ts80i in ceiling speakers
1 csia6 center channel

Debating on picking up onkyo 636 receiver. .will add sub later

Now

I'm looking for something a little less expensive to add to the setup. I was content going solely with the 4 ceiling/center/subwoofer, but now I'm curious about this dolby atmos sound.

Are there any satellite speakers I could add ?

I'm way over budget as is. Thanks in advance.
post #40598 of 40616 Old 07-16-2015, 07:46 AM

Setting up a System for Music/Movies

Hello All,

I am setting up my first system with all Polk speakers because of the brand, price, and quality. My current targets are the following:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V477
Left & Right: Polk RTI A3
Center: Polk CS10
Sub: Polk PSW10

I understand that the RTIs are more powerful than the other speakers, but I will use the receiver to manage that. I also intend to use just the RTIs and the Sub for music.

My main concern is that the receiver provides enough power for the system, and that it will sound good all together.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this first system.
post #40599 of 40616 Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew82 View Post
Hello All,

I am setting up my first system with all Polk speakers because of the brand, price, and quality. My current targets are the following:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V477
Left & Right: Polk RTI A3
Center: Polk CS10
Sub: Polk PSW10

I understand that the RTIs are more powerful than the other speakers, but I will use the receiver to manage that. I also intend to use just the RTIs and the Sub for music.

My main concern is that the receiver provides enough power for the system, and that it will sound good all together.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this first system.
You should get the CSi A6 for the center and forget about the sub for now. Then add a sub when you can save up a bit more money. Quality > quantity. Add the speakers a few at a time. Or, get a nicer sub now and add the center channel later.

post #40600 of 40616 Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 AM

The issue with a non matching center is the timbre of the speaker, not as much how loud it plays

post #40601 of 40616 Old 07-16-2015, 08:02 AM

Hey Zpatter, thanks for the quick reply!

So you think that the different speakers would result in a noticeable imbalance? I was just worried about the left-to-right action from the front wall during movies and the like.

Also, what do you think of the receiver for the power? I am trying to spend more on speakers and less on receivers. The Yamaha I listed is rated well and appears to have sufficient power at both 1 and 2 channels.

Lastly, I notice that the RTI A1s have die-hard fans, but the A3s have some naysayers. Do you think the A1s are worth the extra $40?
post #40602 of 40616 Old 07-16-2015, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmenezes View Post
Was hoping for help...

House is currently is construction phase. Opted to have ceiling speakers wired in. Regretted this but it was too late by time ..

Purchased 4 ts80i in ceiling speakers
1 csia6 center channel

Debating on picking up onkyo 636 receiver. .will add sub later

Now

I'm looking for something a little less expensive to add to the setup. I was content going solely with the 4 ceiling/center/subwoofer, but now I'm curious about this dolby atmos sound.

Are there any satellite speakers I could add ?

I'm way over budget as is. Thanks in advance.
First off, you say you already have four "TS80i" in-ceiling speakers; I will assume you meant to write TC80i as I have never heard of the former.

Secondly, your five listener-level speakers should ideally be placed at about ear height for the main listening position (MLP). This is even more important if you want to utilize Dolby Atmos immersive audio, which aims to create a three-dimensional hemispherical bubble of sound around the MLP. In order to achieve this effect you will want to install your speakers so as to achieve maximum vertical separate between the listener- and top-level speakers.

Thirdly, Dolby Atmos has prescribed placement ranges for the top-level speakers. Are your in-ceilings already installed and, if so, do they fall within the recommended elevation angle ranges (see the illustration below)?

Fourthly, the Onkyo TX-NR636 only supports a maximum Atmos configuration of 5.1.2 (5 = listener-level speakers [LCR + SL/R], 1 = LFE channel, and 2= one pair of overhead speakers). This means that you would have to choose to use either the front TC80i pair or the back pair as the elevation speakers; the other pair would be unavailable unless you can move up to a more capable AVR (e.g., Denon AVR-X4100W). (N.B.: Although the X4100W refurb for $800 I linked to at A4L is heavily discounted and a great bargain, you would be foregoing the HDCP 2.2 capability of the NR636, if that is important to you; however, if you will only have one 4K video source (e.g., BDP), you can always connect it via digital optical (Toslink) to the AVR for audio and use a separate HDMI video connection between the source and the display.

It appears that budget is a primary concern for you, but here is my suggestion for maximizing your investment:

1) Plan to use the TC80i's as elevation speakers for Atmos. If you can't swing $800 for a refurbished X4100W from A4L, then use one speaker pair now (i.e., either front height [FH] or top middle [TM]) and eventually, when you're ready to upgrade your AVR, you will already have the second pair ready to go. HOWEVER, make sure that your MLP is correctly located within tolerance for the pertinent Atmos speaker elevation angle.

2) Pair your CSiA6 center (good choice, BTW) with something like the Polk Audio RTi6 for your mains (currently a steal at $200/pair refurbished) and RTi4 as SL/R (also currently $200/pair new). You could save a little by substituting the extremely versatile OWM5 ($170/pair) or even OWM3 ($100/pair) at surround duty.

I think this would be a decent bang for your buck and give you a suitable HT experience until you're ready to invest some more serious money in your equipment.

Oh, and don't cheap out on the SW!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolby Atmos Speaker Locations.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	833026  

Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD
Denon AVR-5200 (DTS Neo:X 11.1/Dolby Atmos 7.1.4); AudioSource AMP-100 (x3)
Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW) OWM5 (Sr, SB, FH), 80F/X-RT (TM); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM3/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zone2/3)

Last edited by chi_guy50; 07-17-2015 at 10:45 AM.
post #40603 of 40616 Old 07-16-2015, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew82 View Post
Hey Zpatter, thanks for the quick reply!

So you think that the different speakers would result in a noticeable imbalance? I was just worried about the left-to-right action from the front wall during movies and the like.

Also, what do you think of the receiver for the power? I am trying to spend more on speakers and less on receivers. The Yamaha I listed is rated well and appears to have sufficient power at both 1 and 2 channels.

Lastly, I notice that the RTI A1s have die-hard fans, but the A3s have some naysayers. Do you think the A1s are worth the extra $40?
The A3's are great speakers, but you should definitely skip the CS10. That center is even too weak for anything but the smallest Monitor configuration. You should stay in the Rti line and go for the CsiA4 (or a Csi3) at a minimum. Nice thing about the Csi3/A4 is they are sealed back (no rear port) and can be easily located underneath a TV in a cabinet. Also I would recommend you not get the PSW10. Get the 505 instead... you will not regret it.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #40604 of 40616 Old 07-17-2015, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all,

Any stores I could buy the TSi100 bookshelf speakers around the Houston / Dallas area?
post #40605 of 40616 Old 07-17-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
The A3's are great speakers, but you should definitely skip the CS10. That center is even too weak for anything but the smallest Monitor configuration. You should stay in the Rti line and go for the CsiA4 (or a Csi3) at a minimum. Nice thing about the Csi3/A4 is they are sealed back (no rear port) and can be easily located underneath a TV in a cabinet. Also I would recommend you not get the PSW10. Get the 505 instead... you will not regret it.
The A3 is usually more expensive than the A1s. They sounded exactly the same to me but they have a bit more extension down low. I did tons of research and didn't find that people preferred the A1s Over the A3s. I agree with at least getting the CSi A4 but the CSi A6 is better. Also the 505 is the best Polk sub. If it's in budget, though, get SVS or another ID sub.

post #40606 of 40616 Old 07-19-2015, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Hello friends, just pulled the trigger on a Marantz SR-7008 to power my system, very excited. I'm moving from a Pioneer VSX-1122 with basic MCACC to Audyssey XT32. I'm using RTi 8's RTi6's and a CSi 5. Anyone here have any experience with the SR-7008 and could give me some insight on what I might expect to hear from my RTi's?

Panasonic P60U54
Marantz SR-7008
Polk Audio RTi8's, CSi5, RTi6's, OWM3's
SVSound PC12 Plus, PC Ultra (12")
PS3
post #40607 of 40616 Old 07-19-2015, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
Hello friends, just pulled the trigger on a Marantz SR-7008 to power my system, very excited. I'm moving from a Pioneer VSX-1122 with basic MCACC to Audyssey XT32. I'm using RTi 8's RTi6's and a CSi 5. Anyone here have any experience with the SR-7008 and could give me some insight on what I might expect to hear from my RTi's?

Hope u can share ur experience moving to XT32 re: sound quality and overall performance... im also planning to purchase 7009 late this year when price drop after 7010 released. Im now using Pionner 1121 and Polk A5 / A6 for my LCR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #40608 of 40616 Old 07-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like your making a similar move with similar gear as me. I'm just hoping that I can get used to the Marantz interface and verbiage. I ordered an Onkyo 636 for my parents to start a small system for them and have been using that for the last 2 days til my Marantz comes in so I can figure out how to use it so I can easily show my mom when I hook it up. I can tell you that after 2 days with the Onkyo I can't wait to get the Marantz in my house. I prefer my 1122-K to the 636 in almost every way.

Panasonic P60U54
Marantz SR-7008
PS3
post #40609 of 40616 Old 07-19-2015, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
First off, you say you already have four "TS80i" in-ceiling speakers; I will assume you meant to write TC80i as I have never heard of the former.

Secondly, your five listener-level speakers should ideally be placed at about ear height for the main listening position (MLP). This is even more important if you want to utilize Dolby Atmos immersive audio, which aims to create a three-dimensional hemispherical bubble of sound around the MLP. In order to achieve this effect you will want to install your speakers so as to achieve maximum vertical separate between the listener- and top-level speakers.

Thirdly, Dolby Atmos has prescribed placement ranges for the top-level speakers. Are your in-ceilings already installed and, if so, do they fall within the recommended elevation angle ranges (see the illustration below)?

Fourthly, the Onkyo TX-NR636 only supports a maximum Atmos configuration of 5.1.2 (5 = listener-level speakers [LCR + SL/R], 1 = LFE channel, and 2= one pair of overhead speakers). This means that you would have to choose to use either the front TC80i pair or the back pair as the elevation speakers; the other pair would be unavailable unless you can move up to a more capable AVR (e.g., Denon AVR-X4100W). (N.B.: Although the X4100W refurb for $800 I linked to at A4L is heavily discounted and a great bargain, you would be foregoing the HDCP 2.2 capability of the NR636, if that is important to you; however, if you will only have one 4K video source (e.g., BDP), you can always connect it via digital optical (Toslink) to the AVR for audio and use a separate HDMI video connection between the source and the display.

It appears that budget is a primary concern for you, but here is my suggestion for maximizing your investment:

1) Plan to use the TC80i's as elevation speakers for Atmos. If you can't swing $800 for a refurbished X4100W from A4L, then use one speaker pair now (i.e., either front height [FH] or top middle [TM]) and eventually, when you're ready to upgrade your AVR, you will already have the second pair ready to go. HOWEVER, make sure that your MLP is correctly located within tolerance for the pertinent Atmos speaker elevation angle.

2) Pair your CSiA6 center (good choice, BTW) with something like the Polk Audio RTi6 for your mains (currently a steal at $200/pair refurbished) and RTi4 as SL/R (also currently $200/pair new). You could save a little by substituting the extremely versatile OWM5 ($170/pair) or even OWM3 ($100/pair) at surround duty.

I think this would be a decent bang for your buck and give you a suitable HT experience until you're ready to invest some more serious money in your equipment.

Oh, and don't cheap out on the SW!

Thanks for the incredibly detailed response.

It occurred to me that perhaps Atmos is out of my range for now since wife doesn't want the new home/living room cluttered with speakers. Perhaps when the time comes for a man cave.

I managed to find a 636 off Ebay. Used, but for less than $250 my expectations are quite low.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201389313573?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It doesn't come with a remote so I'm either looking for a universal or forking out the $40-$50 for a replacement 880M.

I looked into your recommendation on the RTi4 and RTi6, and unfortunately both links would not ship to Canada. Great day nonetheless.

I ended up looking in to the OWM5 and became fascinated. I picked up 2.

So currently, the set up is

CsiA6 up front

Two TC80i's up front (the atmos had speakers that reflecting sound off the ceiling, so not sure if this is that much of a downgrade)

Two TC80's positioned in the rear

Two OWM5's either at listening position, or behind.

I have no clue what I'm doing. Still need a sub.
post #40610 of 40616 Old 07-19-2015, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Sounds like your making a similar move with similar gear as me. I'm just hoping that I can get used to the Marantz interface and verbiage. I ordered an Onkyo 636 for my parents to start a small system for them and have been using that for the last 2 days til my Marantz comes in so I can figure out how to use it so I can easily show my mom when I hook it up. I can tell you that after 2 days with the Onkyo I can't wait to get the Marantz in my house. I prefer my 1122-K to the 636 in almost every way.

Let's wait and see on the performance of Marantz on Polk speakers... u'll be my advisor hahaha....
post #40611 of 40616 Old 07-20-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmenezes View Post
Thanks for the incredibly detailed response.

It occurred to me that perhaps Atmos is out of my range for now since wife doesn't want the new home/living room cluttered with speakers. Perhaps when the time comes for a man cave.

I managed to find a 636 off Ebay. Used, but for less than $250 my expectations are quite low.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201389313573?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It doesn't come with a remote so I'm either looking for a universal or forking out the $40-$50 for a replacement 880M.

I looked into your recommendation on the RTi4 and RTi6, and unfortunately both links would not ship to Canada. Great day nonetheless.

I ended up looking in to the OWM5 and became fascinated. I picked up 2.

So currently, the set up is

CsiA6 up front

Two TC80i's up front (the atmos had speakers that reflecting sound off the ceiling, so not sure if this is that much of a downgrade)

Two TC80's positioned in the rear

Two OWM5's either at listening position, or behind.

I have no clue what I'm doing. Still need a sub.
I didn't realize you were located in Canada when I made my purchase recommendations. Sore-y boot that!

Sounds like you're aiming to achieve maximum effect on a minimum budget, and all within very restrictive WAF conditions. Well, almost all of us have to work under constraints of one kind or another, so you're not alone.

Depending on the size and shape of the room and where you plan to locate the MLP, I think you could easily use the OWM5's as either side or back surrounds and the rear-most TC80i's for the other pair. You may want to experiment with various seating placements and speaker combinations using a high-quality audio input source to see which works best for you in a traditional 7.1 setup.

You'd probably be best advised to forget about immersive audio (Atmos/DTS:X/Auro) until you can arrange for a more suitable listening room that will accommodate both listener- and top-level speakers.

As for the SW, I would shop around for the best used model I could find in the local market and hope that will do until you're ready to upgrade again. You should be able to find something decent for under $200 unless you live out in the middle of nowhere.

Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD
Denon AVR-5200 (DTS Neo:X 11.1/Dolby Atmos 7.1.4); AudioSource AMP-100 (x3)
Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW) OWM5 (Sr, SB, FH), 80F/X-RT (TM); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM3/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zone2/3)
post #40612 of 40616 Old 07-20-2015, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
I too will be making a similar move with similar equipment and am very curious what your findings will be.

WDTV Live SMP with 15TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #40613 of 40616 Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, so my Marantz came yesterday and I was finally able to run Audyssey today and the initial reports are positive. In stereo mode it pushed my RTi8's much better than my 1122-k did almost to the the point where I didn't immediatly notice that the subs weren't on. I still have a little bit of tweaking to do I think but I think so far my RTi's are liking the little bit of extra power.

By the way the Marantz design is beautiful, and the onscreen interface is fast responding and easy to use, the Marantz app for my iPhone though leaves a little bit to be desired, I prefer the pioneer app and I wasn't crazy about that one either.

Panasonic P60U54
Marantz SR-7008
PS3
post #40614 of 40616 Old 07-25-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Everyone, I recently purchased from RTi4 speakers for my surround and rear surround speakers. When I mounted them I realized they REALLY stick out form the wall. I was curious if it would hurt the sound quality if I were to recess them into the wall much like this

I have heard you don't want to do this if the speakers are back ported (like the polks) But If I were to leave an air gap around the speakers would this be ok? How much air gap would I need? I could also leave the area open around the speakers as well and just mount them on a recessed shelf since the area around the speakers will be covered by panels.

Any thoughts?
post #40615 of 40616 Old 07-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlin27 View Post
Hi Everyone, I recently purchased from RTi4 speakers for my surround and rear surround speakers. When I mounted them I realized they REALLY stick out form the wall. I was curious if it would hurt the sound quality if I were to recess them into the wall much like this

I have heard you don't want to do this if the speakers are back ported (like the polks) But If I were to leave an air gap around the speakers would this be ok? How much air gap would I need? I could also leave the area open around the speakers as well and just mount them on a recessed shelf since the area around the speakers will be covered by panels.

Any thoughts?
I'd consider getting different smaller or in wall speakers before you go through with tearing apart your walls, no matter how big you make the space behind the speakers it's still going to effect the sound. I have the bigger RTi 6's as surrounds on stands but the smaller and easier to mount OWM3's as rear surrounds mounted to my ceiling. I'm sure you could do something similar without having to cut your walls apart.
zpatter1 likes this.

Panasonic P60U54
Marantz SR-7008
PS3
post #40616 of 40616 Old Today, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I see a lot of cheating whores in here.. You know who you are..
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page