Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1355 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #40621 of 40649 Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hey guys, selling my RTI 6 Bookshelves in black they are in excellent condition, I'm in the LA area if interested let me know and I can email you some pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #40622 of 40649 Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've currently got RTi10's + CSi3 for front speakers. Was wondering if you guys think it's worth stepping my center up to the CSiA6/CSi5? Would it be a noticeable step up in performance going to the larger speaker?

I mostly listen to music in Logic 7 mode via a 5.1 H/K receiver.
post #40623 of 40649 Old 08-03-2015, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costanza View Post
I've currently got RTi10's + CSi3 for front speakers. Was wondering if you guys think it's worth stepping my center up to the CSiA6/CSi5? Would it be a noticeable step up in performance going to the larger speaker?

what kind of sub do you have and what are you setting your crossover too.
post #40624 of 40649 Old 08-03-2015, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Klipsch SW110 & crossover at 80hz.
post #40625 of 40649 Old 08-03-2015, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm running TSX330T, PSW108 & TSX250C, also still running some Onkyo rear speakers from my HTIB (HT-3400S). Could someone recommend a good receiver to pair with these? I feel like I should upgrade from the current Onkyo unit.
post #40626 of 40649 Old 08-03-2015, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Klipsch SW110 & crossover at 80hz.
I think you would get more out of a new subwoofer then a larger center. you don't need the lower crossover it can offer. So the other factor would be if the volume on the center is two low and clipping.
post #40627 of 40649 Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
I think you would get more out of a new subwoofer then a larger center. you don't need the lower crossover it can offer. So the other factor would be if the volume on the center is two low and clipping.
The Rti10's have a solid bottom end. Mine are crossed at 40Hz. Since the OP primarily listens to music, I would disagree on the need for a different sub-woofer. However, a Csi5/A6 center would better match the 6" midrange drivers in the Rti10's than the 5" drivers in the Csi3.
azz7686 likes this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #40628 of 40649 Old 08-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
The Rti10's have a solid bottom end. Mine are crossed at 40Hz. Since the OP primarily listens to music, I would disagree on the need for a different sub-woofer. However, a Csi5/A6 center would better match the 6" midrange drivers in the Rti10's than the 5" drivers in the Csi3.
I would agree if the goal was a lower cross over otherwise for music the center is not used and the 6 vs 5 inch driver is more a question of where you want the crossover and how loud you want the speaker to go since a 6 inch typically can play louder then a 5 in the polk center line up.
climber07 likes this.
post #40629 of 40649 Old 08-06-2015, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

I am running a CSIA5 and it sounds great with me RTI10 fronts. CSI3 you are probably having to raise the db because the RTI10 are overpowering your center.

I think you will notice a very real difference stepping up to a better center channel!
Costanza and mr266 like this.
post #40630 of 40649 Old 08-08-2015, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Heya gents (and ladies?) -- just had some RTi12s delivered to my house today... it was a Craigslist deal that was too hard to pass up. Some minor cosmetic blemishes (grille cover a bit torn, some scratches in the cabinet, etc.), but... for $350 (+$25 to have them delivered), I thought it was well worth it.

Now I have a problem that many people wish they had... too many speakers.

Currently, in my 7.2 man cave setup, I have RTiA7s as my fronts, a CSIa6 (recent addition) center and two pairs of Monitor 40 IIs as side and rear surrounds (holdovers from my old setup with 70 IIs).

That setup sounded great. Now that I've got the 12s, I don't know what to do with them.

I could, I suppose, move the 7's to the side surround position, but... I think that's a bit overkill for my applications.

I have a polk setup in our livingroom as well, but... I don't see myself moving replacing my 70 IIs with the 7s or 12s for a few reasons:

1) We have the 70s backed up to the wall for aesthetic purposes -- it flanks the fireplace and due to space issues, I can't toe them in, etc.
2) With a four-month old baby, we won't be playing anything loud on the main level. Plus, the majority of our "high-end viewing" happens in the man cave.

My Pioneer SC-1522-K is now wired up to the 12s and they sound good -- but I keep hearing about "more power, more power" with the 12s.

What would you keep? What would you sell? What would you do?

A few notes that might help:

1) The man cave is relatively small.
2) It has a pair of Klipsch HG-12 subs in the mix.
3) I'm bi-amping the 12s, FWIW

I don't listen to anything at ear-piercing levels. I like music loud and I like to feel it and/or movies occasionally, but... with two young kids, I don't need to be shaking the house.

Should I try to flip the 12s? Condition-wise, they aren't in as good of shape as the 7s. Also, isn't the CSiA6 a better match to the 7s than the 12s? Also, with the 7s, I don't have to worry about "lack of power" quite as much. Speaking of which, is the only real benefit of "more power" just more clarity / less distortion at really high levels?

I'm lost as to what to do... I probably didn't need the speakers, but... it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

Last Q -- anybody know where a guy can get a "trim" panel for the base of a 12? It only came with one. Think Polk still has some laying around that they could sell me on the cheap?

Thanks! I know this is a LOT of questions!
post #40631 of 40649 Old 08-08-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd hang on to the 12's if I were you. It's not unusual to move your smaller speakers back and replacing them with larger units up front (I've done it many times!) The 12's do need a lot of power though... 200 wpc is adequate, 300 is better. Some here in this forum feed their 12/A9's 600wpc in bridge mode. It's not just to shake the house. Even at lower volumes, the bottom end is more solid and the high end less shrill with a larger amp. PS bi-amping doesn't help.
jaygax and azz7686 like this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #40632 of 40649 Old 08-10-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I'd hang on to the 12's if I were you. It's not unusual to move your smaller speakers back and replacing them with larger units up front (I've done it many times!) The 12's do need a lot of power though... 200 wpc is adequate, 300 is better. Some here in this forum feed their 12/A9's 600wpc in bridge mode. It's not just to shake the house. Even at lower volumes, the bottom end is more solid and the high end less shrill with a larger amp. PS bi-amping doesn't help.
Thanks for the reply. I thought I replied Saturday, but it evidently didn't go through. I definitely appreciate the clarification (no pun intended) re: power and its impact even at low volumes.

RE: bi-amping -- I've heard a few people say they noticed an improvement, so I tried it on my 70 IIs and I thought I noticed an improvement as well. Since I had available channels to use, I stuck with it. That being said...

I just pulled the trigger on a Crown Drivecore XLS1500 amp (300 wpc stereo at 8 ohms which as, I understand, the 7s and/or 12s use -- correct me if I'm wrong...I'm a noob, but I'm excited to learn). So that should give me the juice I need.

Soooo... to get this configured correctly...

I would:

1) remove the bi-wiring/speaker wires that are run to my fronts (currently the 12s).
2) re-configure my speaker setup in the SC 1522-K menu so it doesn't try to bi-amp anymore.
3) put the jumper plates back onto the back of the 12s.
4) run RCA cables from the front pre-outs on my SC 1522-K here:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...-02back_lg.jpg (far left of the pre-outs)

To the channel 1 and channel 2 inputs on the XLS1500 (or, use RCA to male XLR cables similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3ft-2-RCA-Ma...-/280882581534 -- ANY BIG ADVANTAGE?)

5) run speaker wire from the binding post outputs of the XLS1500 to EITHER pair of binding posts on the back of the respective 12s (or get SpeakOn to banana plug cables -- worth it?)

All sound correct?

Then configure the amp for stereo mode. Do I want to set a crossover on the XLS1500? I currently set my Pioneer receiver to cross over at 80. With this much power, would I remove the receiver's crossover and run it "full band" (correct term)? Or if I do that, am I just wasting my two nice subwoofers?

Sorry again for all of the questions. I still MIGHT try to sell either the 12s or 7s... since I just sunk more money into the amp (and with a recent addition to the family, we need to be saving, not spending), I think I need to liquidate something. Since the 7s look nicer, are a better match for my center, etc., part of me is leaning towards keeping the 7s. But either way, I'm excited to see what these can do with extra juice.

Last edited by U2Edge; 08-10-2015 at 09:36 PM.
post #40633 of 40649 Old 08-11-2015, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Your hookup plan sounds right, and I'm sure you will enjoy how your Polks sound on a Crown (I myself used a Crown amp for several decades, and it is still sitting unplugged in the back of the cabinet). As far as crossover settings, you should at least give full range a try... listen to some music without the subs, just so you can hear what the Rti12's can do. My Denon has separate configurations for music and for movies, so I run full range stereo for music and crossed over to the subs at 40Hz for movies. As I don't know what your AVR will allow, you will have to play with it a while to find what configuration you like best.
U2Edge likes this.

post #40634 of 40649 Old 08-13-2015, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Your hookup plan sounds right, and I'm sure you will enjoy how your Polks sound on a Crown (I myself used a Crown amp for several decades, and it is still sitting unplugged in the back of the cabinet). As far as crossover settings, you should at least give full range a try... listen to some music without the subs, just so you can hear what the Rti12's can do. My Denon has separate configurations for music and for movies, so I run full range stereo for music and crossed over to the subs at 40Hz for movies. As I don't know what your AVR will allow, you will have to play with it a while to find what configuration you like best.
Thanks again. The amp came today. Followed my steps and got 'er all hooked up (just using basic RCA cables and speaker wire unless somebody thinks RCA to XLR and/or SpeakOn to banana cables is the better way to get it into the amp/to the speakers, respectively).

I had to bump up the channel levels on my fronts a bit. I'm guessing it's because I'm not running the amp at 100% (on the dials, I have it at around the 3:00 position -- probably 75% power). Once I did that, things were nicely balanced. I think I'm hearing and feeling what you were describing as far as having the extra power goes. I'll have to have a local Atlanta "guru" stop over for beers and speaker optimization sometime.

RE: running them full range, it looks like I'd need to turn off the "PLUS" setting in my SC 1522-K menu based on this post and the reply.

I ordered a replacement grill and trim panel for the 12s, so outside of some small dings/scratches in the wood that you have to hunt for, they are gonna look sharp.

I'll play around with it a bit more this weekend. Appreciate the help!
post #40635 of 40649 Old 08-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
what kind of sub do you have and what are you setting your crossover too.
I am totally with Pretzel Fisch on that one. I've ugraded a while ago from that same exact Kipsch sub, and the difference is night and day. Maybe you'll hear a little more detail with the center, but since there's not a huge gap between the two lines for the center... Pretty positive the difference of a better sub ( or two ) would be more noticeable. Especially if you are a music lover.

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212 turbo subwoofers
Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #40636 of 40649 Old 08-15-2015, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Edge View Post
Thanks again. The amp came today. Followed my steps and got 'er all hooked up (just using basic RCA cables and speaker wire unless somebody thinks RCA to XLR and/or SpeakOn to banana cables is the better way to get it into the amp/to the speakers, respectively).

RE: running them full range, it looks like I'd need to turn off the "PLUS" setting in my SC 1522-K menu based on this post and the reply. I'll play around with it a bit more this weekend. Appreciate the help!
Don't get this group started on wire! You'll get dozens of photos of pricey hookups and homemade cables. To me, wire is wire, as long as it is of suitable gauge and true copper conductor. In my experience, "plus" mode generally refer to a sub+mains configuration, i.e., where LF is sent to both the L+R mains as well as the sub (though on your AVR it may not necessarily be so).

post #40637 of 40649 Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNestico View Post
Ok, so my Marantz came yesterday and I was finally able to run Audyssey today and the initial reports are positive. In stereo mode it pushed my RTi8's much better than my 1122-k did almost to the the point where I didn't immediatly notice that the subs weren't on. I still have a little bit of tweaking to do I think but I think so far my RTi's are liking the little bit of extra power.

By the way the Marantz design is beautiful, and the onscreen interface is fast responding and easy to use, the Marantz app for my iPhone though leaves a little bit to be desired, I prefer the pioneer app and I wasn't crazy about that one either.
I too went from a Pioneer( 1018) to a Marantz 7008 and love how they push my older monitor70s. The Marantz is a great receiver and you will love it. The XT32 is good at setting up multiple subs. If you think you need to push your RTi's more than get an amp. I have had my polk speaker for6 years now, and I am very happy with all my polk speakers!! I did upgrade my subs though, as I have some AWESOME PSA subwoofers, and will never look back.

Marantz SR7008, Emotiva XPA5,PSA V3600I,Dual PSA XV15SE's
PS3 Phat, PS3 Slim, Sony BDP-370,Toshiba HD-A2
Polk Monitor 70's,Polk CSiA6,Polk R50's,Polk F/XiA4's,Polk OWM3's,
Sharp 60 LED 640U,Optoma HD25-LV,Belkin PureAV Home Theater Console
post #40638 of 40649 Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, I need some advice,

Due to an onkyo nr609 motherboard failure I'm in the middle of a system upgrade. Rather then a repair I opted for the onkyo rebate towards a newer receiver. And now is a great time for a long over due upgrade of my 12-15 year old pioneer 5.1 speaker setup.

I just upgraded to the Onkyo tx-nr737 receiver. I have a Epik empire 15" dual fire subwoofer. For speakers I'm not sure what to do.

After some reading on here I was considering going with the TSx440t, tsx150c, and tsx110b. But then found out about the Polk direct eBay and everyone's backing of the factory refurbs. A little more reading and now I'm interested in maybe going with the Csi5 and rti-a3 or rti-a1's for now and possibly add another rti-a3 set or something like the rti-a5 later.

I will primarily use this for HT TV and movie viewing In my living room which is 14x22". The room has an opening at the front left corner for the front entry/den, an opening on the left side for the dinning rm. I also have a hallway opening at the rear of the room. (So quite open)

I'm not expecting to get an all out sound experience but would like good audio. Just upgrading my old pioneer VSX-D409 receiver to the TX-NR609 was night and day how much better those old speakers sounded and I know an upgrade in speakers will again boost sound quality several times over.

I'm open to all opinions and ideas.

Recap of current setup:
Onkyo nr737
Epik empire subwoofer
Front?
Center?
Rear?

Thanks in advance,
~Stuart
post #40639 of 40649 Old 08-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS8UUP View Post

Due to an onkyo nr609 motherboard failure I'm in the middle of a system upgrade. Rather then a repair I opted for the onkyo rebate towards a newer receiver. And now is a great time for a long over due upgrade of my 12-15 year old pioneer 5.1 speaker setup.

I just upgraded to the Onkyo tx-nr737 receiver. I have a Epik empire 15" dual fire subwoofer. For speakers I'm not sure what to do.

After some reading on here I was considering going with the TSx440t, tsx150c, and tsx110b. But then found out about the Polk direct eBay and everyone's backing of the factory refurbs. A little more reading and now I'm interested in maybe going with the Csi5 and rti-a3 or rti-a1's for now and possibly add another rti-a3 set or something like the rti-a5 later.

I will primarily use this for HT TV and movie viewing In my living room which is 14x22". The room has an opening at the front left corner for the front entry/den, an opening on the left side for the dinning rm. I also have a hallway opening at the rear of the room. (So quite open)

I'm not expecting to get an all out sound experience but would like good audio. Just upgrading my old pioneer VSX-D409 receiver to the TX-NR609 was night and day how much better those old speakers sounded and I know an upgrade in speakers will again boost sound quality several times over.

Recap of current setup:
Onkyo nr737
Epik empire subwoofer
Front?
Center?
Rear?

Thanks in advance,
~Stuart
what's your budget?
post #40640 of 40649 Old 08-17-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
what's your budget?
It would be nice to keep it under 1k$ but I don't mind spending more if I need to and piecing it together as budget allows.
post #40641 of 40649 Old 08-17-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:

Recap of current setup:
Onkyo nr737
Epik empire subwoofer
Front?
Center?
Rear?

Thanks in advance,
~Stuart
Here's a little info on the speakers you've mentioned.
First, the TSX line will sound a bit warmer than the RTI's, but the RTI's will give you a more live (like you're at a concert) feel. My personal opinion is if you want to go with the TSX's, I'd stay away from the 440 (hated the mid's on those) and go up to the 550's. With that said, and I did have the choice when I bought, I would and did go with the RTI8's (old version of the RTIa5's). They have great highs and mids, but just average lows. Fortunately, a good subwoofer takes care of that. The CSI5 is a great CC, and it's a toss up between the A1's or A3's for surrounds. A1's (or RTI4's) will sound a lot like the 8's/5's but a little less detailed. The RTI6/A3 will sound a little more bassey, but for surrounds I like the 4's/a1's real well. By the way, you should be able to score a 5.0 set of any of those combinations for under your budget through Polk Ebay. Good luck.

WDTV Live SMP with 15TB HDD & KDLINKS 3.0 5Gbps 7 Ports Hub
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #40642 of 40649 Old 08-17-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
Here's a little info on the speakers you've mentioned.
First, the TSX line will sound a bit warmer than the RTI's, but the RTI's will give you a more live (like you're at a concert) feel. My personal opinion is if you want to go with the TSX's, I'd stay away from the 440 (hated the mid's on those) and go up to the 550's. With that said, and I did have the choice when I bought, I would and did go with the RTI8's (old version of the RTIa5's). They have great highs and mids, but just average lows. Fortunately, a good subwoofer takes care of that. The CSI5 is a great CC, and it's a toss up between the A1's or A3's for surrounds. A1's (or RTI4's) will sound a lot like the 8's/5's but a little less detailed. The RTI6/A3 will sound a little more bassey, but for surrounds I like the 4's/a1's real well. By the way, you should be able to score a 5.0 set of any of those combinations for under your budget through Polk Ebay. Good luck.
Thanks for your time to respond.

I was just looking at those rti8's, it seems like them with the csi5 and either the rit6 or a3 will do me nicely.

Thanks again!
post #40643 of 40649 Old 08-18-2015, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Thanks for your time to respond.

I was just looking at those rti8's, it seems like them with the csi5 and either the rit6 or a3 will do me nicely.

Thanks again!
Agreed, that's your maximum bang-for-the-buck bet for buying new from Polk Audio's eBay store. Your only better value options would be either buying refurb from them (currently unavailable) or a 50% FF discount on the RTiA line at Polk Audio's website, which could be issued again before January..

Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD
Denon AVR-5200 (DTS Neo:X 11.1/Dolby Atmos 7.1.4); AudioSource AMP-100 (x3)
Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW) OWM5 (Sr, SB, FH), 80F/X-RT (TM); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM3/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zone2/3)
post #40644 of 40649 Old 08-18-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Agreed, that's your maximum bang-for-the-buck bet for buying new from Polk Audio's eBay store. Your only better value options would be either buying refurb from them (currently unavailable) or a 50% FF discount on the RTiA line at Polk Audio's website, which could be issued again before January..
I just ordered a pair of rti8's for 298$ shipped from fry's and the csi5 for 215$ from the Polk direct eBay. Great value and bang for the buck!
azz7686 likes this.
post #40645 of 40649 Old 08-18-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just ordered a pair of rti8's for 298$ shipped from fry's and the csi5 for 215$ from the Polk direct eBay. Great value and bang for the buck!
Well done! That's going to be hard to beat, bargain-wise. Enjoy!

Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW) OWM5 (Sr, SB, FH), 80F/X-RT (TM); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM3/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zone2/3)
post #40646 of 40649 Old 08-24-2015, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone chime in if their LSIM series can handle reference level at say, 10 feet away? In the manual I'm unclear if the recommended amplifier power means peak or rms power handling, or something else. An spl calculator with values set at 86.5db/w, 10' distance, is showing 650 watts being required to hit 105db peaks. These are our first speakers and I'm trying to avoid damaging them. (Using a crossover so I'm more interested in tweeter/midrange decibel handling. I can only go off total power as that is all that's listed in the manual)

Thanks!

Last edited by boifido; 08-24-2015 at 08:50 PM.
post #40647 of 40649 Old 08-26-2015, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A few years ago I bought a set of Monitor50 Series II for front surrounds thanks to some good advice here in this thread. I like the look of the floorstanding 50's. Would another set of 50's in the rears be ok?
post #40648 of 40649 Old 08-27-2015, 03:50 AM

Hey guys back again, I decided due to my furniture, wiring and room layout that it just isn't feasible to use bookshelf speakers like the rtia3 for the rear surrounds.

I called the Polk tech line for advice on in ceiling options for my rears. After explaining a couple of the options in the vanishing RT series he suggested the 70-rt would be a good fit. I then asked about the 80f/x-rt and he immediately said you know what, with the size of your room(14x22') the aimable dual tweeters will fill up the rear space better and are actually a great option for my setup.

So after several years with only a low end 1999 vintage pioneer 3.1 setup I'm into a full Polk Rti 5.1 system with
Rti8
Csi5
80f/x-rt

Hopefully the rears will mesh well and sound as good as the LCR that I'm already enjoying. I got a great deal on the new pair of 80f/x-rt for only 12$ more then refurbs on the Polk direct eBay. I can easily return them if you guys think I'll be better with something else.
post #40649 of 40649 Old 08-27-2015, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey guys back again, I decided due to my furniture, wiring and room layout that it just isn't feasible to use bookshelf speakers like the rtia3 for the rear surrounds.

I called the Polk tech line for advice on in ceiling options for my rears. After explaining a couple of the options in the vanishing RT series he suggested the 70-rt would be a good fit. I then asked about the 80f/x-rt and he immediately said you know what, with the size of your room(14x22') the aimable dual tweeters will fill up the rear space better and are actually a great option for my setup.

So after several years with only a low end 1999 vintage pioneer 3.1 setup I'm into a full Polk Rti 5.1 system with
Rti8
Csi5
80f/x-rt

Hopefully the rears will mesh well and sound as good as the LCR that I'm already enjoying. I got a great deal on the new pair of 80f/x-rt for only 12$ more then refurbs on the Polk direct eBay. I can easily return them if you guys think I'll be better with something else.
Not at all--those are terrific in-ceiling speakers and will match up very well with your LCR. I went the exact same route several years ago when I couldn't find an acceptable way to install floorstanding surrounds in my living room. I have since managed to mount OWM5's as surrounds and SB, and have repurposed the 80F/X-RT's as TM in my 7.1.4 Atmos setup (with a third set of OWM5's as FH). I even picked up another two sets of 80F/X-RT's (at a bargain price of about $175 a pair) for eventual expansion to three pairs of identical overheads.

Note that if, like me, you elect at some point to expand into immersive audio, you will have to install ear-level surrounds to achieve separation between the top and base elements.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page