Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1378 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 575Likes
post #41311 of 41333 Old 02-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Told you, people, Shawn is back in the fold too... Just wait until Gus and Lee come back too, I can feel it !

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212 turbo subwoofers
Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41312 of 41333 Old 02-06-2016, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknecht01 View Post
Phil,

Yeah, that's where I was shopping. They had the A840 -- which is the model I was originally going to pick up when it was on sale at Amazon -- for $480, but then I saw the A1040 for only $70 more and the Denon I'm also considering is only $450. Amazing prices - I would think this is too good to be true, but so many of you guys on here have mentioned them positively over the last three years that I think this is the way to go.

--Matt
Matt, like I said I have the Marantz SR6009. But, if I had to do it all over again I think that I would have gone with this one:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...airplay/1.html

The Denon 3100W is essentially the same as the Marantz SR6009, but quite a bit cheaper. Oh well, you live and learn right? I would highly consider the 3100W if I were YOU. But, the Yammie 1040 is a beast! Hard choice if YOU ask me. Good luck in making YOUR decision.

Cheers,

Phil
yanks1 likes this.

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #41313 of 41333 Old 02-06-2016, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
Told you, people, Shawn is back in the fold too... Just wait until Gus and Lee come back too, I can feel it !

Shawn, AKA Vipage
Aarghon likes this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #41314 of 41333 Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
YOUR set-up is very close to mine. I just ordered a set of the RTi8's to go along with my CSi5 center. Also, will be using the RTi6's for rears and RTi4's for front Height OR Width. All of mine are in Cherry veneer except for the RTi8's. My LFE is being handled by a Hsu ULS-15 MK2. Soon, hope to have two ULS-15 MK2 subs. The RTi8's will be here Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Phil
You will love the rti8s. They do have a break in period so they sound even better over time.
audiofreak38 likes this.
post #41315 of 41333 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

For those Canadian fellows that are building a LSIM system , Best buy has one Lsim704c speaker available for a ridiculous 400$... here is the link:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...e=polk%20audio
zpatter1 and KJSteward like this.

post #41316 of 41333 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Awesome!!! I really miss that room, I hope I get another one like it.

Hey, what happened to your 12's?
Still have the rti12s, loving them!
azz7686 likes this.

Marantz SR5008 | Polk RTi12 | RT25i | RT20P | Inuke 3000 | Crown xls1000 | Morel amp | 3 DIY 12" subs
HTPC/Gaming PC | Xbox One | RoKu 3 | Sony BDP-S1100 | Sharp Aquos 60"

2 Channel Vintage | Realistic Mach 2 | Realistic STA-2100 | Ipod 5th gen classic | Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
post #41317 of 41333 Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdowenjr View Post
You will love the rti8s. They do have a break in period so they sound even better over time.
Thanks! I have heard the RTi8's many times. Of course, that was NOT in MY listening room. Very much agree that the RTi8's will sound better after some break in time. I have noticed that specifically on my RTi6's. Now, just have to open the RTi8's and get them set-up. The RTi6's are going on the side walls. My RTi4's, will be going up on my front wall for Height speakers. Soon, I will also have a second Hsu ULS-15 MK2 sub! Can't wait for that day.

Cheers,

Phil

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #41318 of 41333 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Shawn, AKA Vipage
I'm always lurking around here somewhere Jesse. How are things? I hope you're doing well. We're missing you on the dark side, or is it the bright side? I can't quite tell anymore.

Yup and you're the only one that can call me that Geoff

I kid I kid.....maybe!
Aarghon likes this.

Last edited by viper186; Yesterday at 09:51 AM.
post #41319 of 41333 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post
I'm always lurking around here somewhere Jesse. How are things? I hope you're doing well. We're missing you on the dark side, or is it the bright side? I can't quite tell anymore.

I kid I kid.....maybe!
Nice to know, Shawn! Well everything is doing quite good, thank you! I'm keeping it up and don't see any reason not to continue

lol, don't know if it's the dark or bright side either, but what I know is that I enjoy ( and enjoyed ) both sides, and miss you dudes too! Thing I know for sure though is that we need more upgrade pics in here haha

How is everything going on your side?

post #41320 of 41333 Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Thing I know for sure though is that we need more upgrade pics in here haha
Probably not what you had in mind for an "upgrade", but I had posted some pics of our move a couple months ago, for those who missed it.

Stuff goes onto the moving truck a week before Thanksgiving...

Stuff arrives in Florida and goes into a storage locker (boxes of BD's to the right have been there since last spring)

More stuff goes into the storage locker...

In the meantime, we have been using a Monitor 60/CS10 setup in our condo til the truck arrived.

My winter project was to setup a pair of Rti12's and a new AVR...

The Rti12's are starting to break in and are sounding pretty good!

audiofreak38 and Aarghon like this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #41321 of 41333 Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Probably not what you had in mind for an "upgrade", but I had posted some pics of our move a couple months ago, for those who missed it.

Stuff arrives in Florida and goes into a storage locker (boxes of BD's to the right have been there since last spring)

That's not a moving truck and storage, that's an audio store!!! I saw the sign, it read..."Rob's Audio! Finest audio equipment in town!"
Aarghon likes this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #41322 of 41333 Old Today, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 3375
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Rob, I'd hazard a guess your a bit smarter than the average consumer on this , so you are keen to keeping the volume low, and only running 2. Most folks would see 4 ohms, assume they can run all their speakers off it, crank it and smoke everything within 10 minutes....

My Denon has the same options IIRC, but you will never find me running my setup off it, even for a short time.

So while your proving it can be done, your scenario is only applicable to a very small percentage of enthusiasts.

And I remember that Crown amp spec's quite well. IIRC its 150 wpc and not very deep at all.
You are not going to smoke anything in 10minutes with 4 ohm speakers. The protection circuits would shutdown the amplifier section before causing a failure.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #41323 of 41333 Old Today, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Quote:

I kid I kid.....maybe!
Nice to know, Shawn! Well everything is doing quite good, thank you! I'm keeping it up and don't see any reason not to continue

lol, don't know if it's the dark or bright side either, but what I know is that I enjoy ( and enjoyed ) both sides, and miss you dudes too! Thing I know for sure though is that we need more upgrade pics in here haha

How is everything going on your side?
Awesome, glad to hear things are going well with you! Lol fun times for sure, on both sides I suppose. We need more upgrade pics everywhere! . It's going well here. Getting ready for more snow tonight into tomorrow. You just missed my B-Day, turned 32 on the 2nd of Feb.
Aarghon likes this.
post #41324 of 41333 Old Today, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofreak38 View Post
I noticed that YOU mentioned the Yammy A1040. Not too sure how much that avr will cost YOU. But, here YOU can get a factory refurbished Yammie A1040:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...uced-50/1.html

For only $550 w/free shipping it really is a good deal. I just recently bought a Marantz SR6009 from acc4less and could NOT be any happier. Have had no issues so far. I did, however, purchase a 3-year extended warranty. Have owned Yamaha in the past and know first hand just how good they are. Just thought I would mention this as acc4less is great to deal with. Highly recommend.

Cheers,

Phil
+1 Phil.

And to add to this, if you're even remotely interested in eventually adding Atmos to your setup, move up to the refurbed 2040 at $799.
post #41325 of 41333 Old Today, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

More stuff goes into the storage locker...

In the meantime, we have been using a Monitor 60/CS10 setup in our condo til the truck arrived.

My winter project was to setup a pair of Rti12's and a new AVR...

The Rti12's are starting to break in and are sounding pretty good!

Wow, talk about someone passionate about gear haha!! I think you deserve the title of " Master Polkie"! Thanks for sharing! And ahah, hope your moving truck wasn't white, it would have looked "white van" suspect

On the personal level, for next upgrade think I'll go for a wall mounted setup... Tired of trying to find sturdy tv stands , and don't have the talent nor the tools to go DIY... Now I have to find wall shelves that will be sturdy enough so I don't paranoid about gear falling from it.
Geoff4RFC likes this.

post #41326 of 41333 Old Today, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Awesome, glad to hear things are going well with you! Lol fun times for sure, on both sides I suppose. We need more upgrade pics everywhere! . It's going well here. Getting ready for more snow tonight into tomorrow. You just missed my B-Day, turned 32 on the 2nd of Feb.
Oh, late happy birthday! Hope you did party a little, because each passing birthday lessens the ability to withstand said parties And nice to know your stuff is going good too!

Funny that you South of here seem to be getting all the snow... We up north are getting record low levels of snow, and it's not even cold this year too...

post #41327 of 41333 Old Today, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Looking for an all in-ceiling 7.1.4 Atmos set up.

Anyone have any experience in what is the best Polk set up for this?
post #41328 of 41333 Old Today, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You just missed my B-Day, turned 32 on the 2nd of Feb.

Happy B-DAY Viapage, sorry I missed it as well..........32? Dang, you're an old fart..............uh, I mean a young whipper snapper

Set up:
post #41329 of 41333 Old Today, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Funny that you South of here seem to be getting all the snow... We up north are getting record low levels of snow, and it's not even cold this year too...
Everyone is saying that El Nino has made this a winter of unusual weather. I monitor the weather daily both here in Florida where we have been for the past two months and also the weather "back home" in Ohio. Last Sunday night (a week ago) the temperature here in Florida was 64 degrees, and in Ohio coincidentally it was also 64 degrees.

They say it has been unusually cool here and unusually warm up north. But of great significance is that it is still snowing up north and has not snowed here in several decades. And the sun shines a lot more often here.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #41330 of 41333 Old Today, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post
+1 Phil.

And to add to this, if you're even remotely interested in eventually adding Atmos to your setup, move up to the refurbed 2040 at $799.
Right now, I am very happy with my Marantz SR6009. Dolby Atmos does NOT interest me too much. Maybe in 5-years that may be more of interest to me. Who really knows.

Cheers,

Phil

post #41331 of 41333 Old Today, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And the sun shines a lot more often here.

So Rob, I just ordered more materials. I'm going to make another 1M pair and half M pair of interconnects. These will be for my surrounds (1M) and the other pair (1/2M) will be dedicated to the Center channel.

I'm going to split the output from the Center pre-out on the AVR and send a double shared signal to the XPA-3, then bi-wire two channels from the amp into 2 at the speaker. That's right, 400w to the center.

Set up:
post #41332 of 41333 Unread Today, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm going to split the output from the Center pre-out on the AVR and send a double shared signal to the XPA-3, then bi-wire two channels from the amp into 2 at the speaker. That's right, 400w to the center.
Sounds awesome but can the CsiA6 handle that much power? (If I correctly understand what you're doing). It's so easy to blow a center. I've never blown one myself but have repaired two centers that others blew out.

post #41333 of 41333 Unread Today, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds awesome but can the CsiA6 handle that much power? (If I correctly understand what you're doing). It's so easy to blow a center. I've never blown one myself but have repaired two centers that others blew out.

That's a good question. I don't know

But....I have had it hooked up to one of my XPA-2's for some time and has handled 300w with apparent ease, so I'm thinking another 100w shouldn't be too bad. We'll see I reckon

Set up:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page