Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1380 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 608Likes

post #41371 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Almost everyone sets their fronts to small when paired with a decent sub. Also 80Hz is the universally recommended crossover, but you can swing between 60-100hz and experiment; good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #41372 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Almost everyone sets their fronts to small when paired with a decent sub. Also 80Hz is the universally recommended crossover, but you can swing between 60-100hz and experiment;
Very true. Depending on the phase roll-off characteristics of your speakers in conjunction with the subwoofer, different crossovers may result in better output performance. Remember, the crossover is not a brick wall and some nulls and peaks may develop at the crossover points depending on the output of your speakers and subs.
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
post #41373 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123go View Post
I have RTI8 and i'm powering them with a YAMAHA RV 475... 80 watts per channel. I strongly advice u investi in a receiver with an EQ . Based from my experience these speakers have to have a mid EQ adjustment. I boost +10 db for 400 hz, 1khz, 2khz, 4 kHz , and these RTI8 shine. Otherwise the sound is muffled and makes me question there quality.

I have them on a decent volume -57 db . I also lower the higher frequency to -10 db 8khz and 16 khz. U will obviously tune them to your hears but don't worry about the post saying these needs so much power ...Just worry about there mids wich as to be addressed by eq.Other than that they are a great set of speakers.
That's an interesting observation, but one I can't agree with. My RTI8's were exactly like I had read about. Great mid's right out of the box and that famous Polk RTI sizzle (or sparkle) at the top end. The top end can be corrected with a little eq to begin with but mellow out after break-in, but the mids (at least mine) have been kick ass from the beginning without any assistance. Love my 8's.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #41374 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The Rti6's and Rti8's are both great speakers. I've used Rti6's (later upgraded to RtiA3's for cosmetic reasons) as mains for TV viewing and casual music, with the A3/Rti6's running full range and the Csi3 center and Rti4 surrounds set to small and crossed at 80Hz to a small, articulate 8" sub. Sounds great for what we use them for. Also used Rti8's as surrounds for HT duty, later moved them to the bedroom for night music until later replaced by Lsi9's.

The Rti6's are sometimes criticized as having a dip in their midrange response and therefore favoring male voices. That never bothered me. If so, the 8's should be an improvement as I understand it the two 6" drivers are split between upper midrange and mid bass duty. BTW that 15" HSU sub sure looks awesome... sure wish I had one.

For anyone chiming in on this as far as xover freq vs full range, all I can say is try everything and go with what sounds best to you. It may well turn out that one setting works better for music vs HT, and for HT vs TV etc. That's how I happened to end up with so much equipment.
audiofreak38 and Geoff4RFC like this.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #41375 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 1445
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Very true. Depending on the phase roll-off characteristics of your speakers in conjunction with the subwoofer, different crossovers may result in better output performance. Remember, the crossover is not a brick wall and some nulls and peaks may develop at the crossover points depending on the output of your speakers and subs.

I've tried: 80, 70, 60, 50 and 40 and have always settled on 40hz. With extra power going to the center and the other speakers, my taste has fallen in the 40 range for the center and mains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
Love my 8's.

Mikey loves his 8's, and rightly so.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #41376 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberathlete View Post
I use mine with the MartinLogan Depth i 8" subwoofer and Harman Kardon 3490 amplifier. Listen to all digital music with the Creative External X-Fi sound card connected via optical out to the receiver. Music formats 256kbps to WAV. Honestly, 320 kpbs sounds just as good. My friends can't tell the difference when a CD is playing or when the 320kbps mp3 is playing.

For Rap, Electronic and any music with a deep and heavy bass line requires a sub.
Otherwise here is my breakdown:

Classic Rock: 9/10
Electronic (with sub): 8/10 (ability to bring out all the details and keep up with the beat)
Pop: 8/10 (requires a sub)
Acoustic: 10/10 (each twang can be heard and felt)
Orchestra: 9/10 (clean and detailed)
Rock: 7/10 (instruments don't have enough room to stand out. Guitars don't sound crunchy enough for my tastes. Sound stage not as big as other genres)
Metal: 8/10 (Has a nice mid bass kick to it and the thrashing of drums really have weight)
Male Vocals: 9/10
Female Vocals: 10/10

All in all they're on par with bookshelves up to the $2000 range. I love them, but bands like Guns N' Roses, Pearl Jam could sound better Maybe I'm too used to rocking out on tower speakers.

This was an excellent break down. Much appreciated as I am mainly a listener of; country, "classic" rock, classical, some blues and the order preference changes regularly.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #41377 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I have a Polk 7.2 system. Rti a7 and csi a6 center. Two psw505's.

I'm thinking to upgrade my towers to rti a9's.

I mostly watch movies and have crossovers set at 80.

Do I need a separate amp for rti a9's to perform well?

My Yamaha is 145 watts per channel.

P.s, this upgrade would only cost me $200. have a deal on some and would sell mine.
post #41378 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by discobanger View Post

P.s, this upgrade would only cost me $200. have a deal on some and would sell mine.

I have rti12 which are very similar. Ive run them on a yamaha at around that same watts and it sounded ok! But it wasnt until I hooked them to an external amp when they really woke up. I know many have there own opinions on this. But Ive done both and they hit much harder and I dont get any distortion at higher levels. Ive actually blown a tweeter from just running on avr because I was a little overzealous and turned them up without the power there and I paid for it. It just lacks the power to drive those speakers at least at higher levels.
Geoff4RFC and azz7686 like this.
post #41379 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd say jump on it. It sounds like that Yammy puts out some power. The only thing is, you only get that kind of power if you're only using two speakers. Once you start using more speakers, the power rating drops. AND, the A9's are pretty power hungry if you set them to large. I'm also willing to bet that those A9's will put out more bass than your two Polk subs.

Set up:
post #41380 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
I've tried: 80, 70, 60, 50 and 40 and have always settled on 40hz. With extra power going to the center and the other speakers, my taste has fallen in the 40 range for the center and mains.
Ditto. I run the A9's full range. Stereo mode for music. For HT the subs only get the ".1" LFE signal. Sounds good!

Quote:
This was an excellent break down. Much appreciated as I am mainly a listener of; country, "classic" rock, classical, some blues and the order preference changes regularly.
Traditionally I primarily listened to classical and classic rock, but in the past 10-15 years tend to listen to more pop and especially New Age.

Quote:
Hi. I have a Polk 7.2 system. Rti a7 and csi a6 center. Two psw505's. I'm thinking to upgrade my towers to rti a9's. I mostly watch movies and have crossovers set at 80.

Do I need a separate amp for rti a9's to perform well? My Yamaha is 145 watts per channel.
In short, yes... but you can get by with a well powered AVR as your low end is crossed to a sub, and 145wpc ain't too shabby. What happens with AVR's is that some of the power is sapped by the surrounds and the mains are shortchanged.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 4520 & Emo XPA-5, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's. Family room: RtiA3's & Rti4 surrounds, Csi3, Klipsch SW-450, Yamaha 565... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #41381 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
The Rti6's and Rti8's are both great speakers. I've used Rti6's (later upgraded to RtiA3's for cosmetic reasons) as mains for TV viewing and casual music, with the A3/Rti6's running full range and the Csi3 center and Rti4 surrounds set to small and crossed at 80Hz to a small, articulate 8" sub. Sounds great for what we use them for. Also used Rti8's as surrounds for HT duty, later moved them to the bedroom for night music until later replaced by Lsi9's.

The Rti6's are sometimes criticized as having a dip in their midrange response and therefore favoring male voices. That never bothered me. If so, the 8's should be an improvement as I understand it the two 6" drivers are split between upper midrange and mid bass duty. BTW that 15" HSU sub sure looks awesome... sure wish I had one.

For anyone chiming in on this as far as xover freq vs full range, all I can say is try everything and go with what sounds best to you. It may well turn out that one setting works better for music vs HT, and for HT vs TV etc. That's how I happened to end up with so much equipment.
Thanks Rob for the info. YOU are also right that the ULS-15 MK2 sub is awesome! So very musical. Getting ready to get a second one soon. Appreciate YOUR comments.

Cheers,

Phil

It isn't about the product(s) YOU use but Rather how YOU use the product(s) that makes ALL of the difference!!!
post #41382 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The whole thing about amps and big speakers comes down to sharing a limited amount of power among a number of speakers. Each speaker has multiple drivers. Each driver consumes power, even if the driver is not producing sound - as tweeters don't do bass and woofers don't do treble - the juice is being sucked up by chokes and caps in the crossover.

If you have six drivers in the mains, as with the Rti12's and A9's, times two for left and right, plus 3-4 drivers for each surround (Fxi's or Rti8's) that's already like 20 drivers drawing power from the amp or amplifier section of the AVR. The difference between amps and receivers is that a dedicated amp typically has a hefty (and therefore heavy) AC power supply. A receiver will have a lighter duty supply because some portion of the innards is occupied by a radio receiver and network circuitry as well as video processing. Less power is available when those multiple speakers demand "more".

If the amp cannot deliver sufficient power, the electrical signal going to the speakers flattens out, becoming shaped more like a harsh sounding square wave rather than a pleasant sounding sine wave. The magnetic coil of the drivers cannot "follow" a square wave and heats up. When it heats it expands in diameter and rubs against the permanent magnet. If that happens enough then the speaker seizes and can no longer move freely.

This doesn't happen at lower volumes, but when inadequately powered speakers are "turned up" it does, and this commonly happens to inexperienced users. That's how speakers are "blown". It happens more often when big speakers are put on small amps, rather than (what one might think would be more common) small speakers overpowered by big amps. You don't want to ruin thousand dollar speakers by driving them with a $300 amp. What I always say is, if it doesn't sound right, something's wrong. Just something to keep in mind.
azz7686 likes this.

post #41383 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
The whole thing about amps and big speakers comes down to sharing a limited amount of power among a number of speakers. Each speaker has multiple drivers. Each driver consumes power, even if the driver is not producing sound - as tweeters don't do bass and woofers don't do treble - the juice is being sucked up by chokes and caps in the crossover.

If you have six drivers in the mains, as with the Rti12's and A9's, times two for left and right, plus 3-4 drivers for each surround (Fxi's or Rti8's) that's already like 20 drivers drawing power from the amp or amplifier section of the AVR. The difference between amps and receivers is that a dedicated amp typically has a hefty (and therefore heavy) AC power supply. A receiver will have a lighter duty supply because some portion of the innards is occupied by a radio receiver and network circuitry as well as video processing. Less power is available when those multiple speakers demand "more".

If the amp cannot deliver sufficient power, the electrical signal going to the speakers flattens out, becoming shaped more like a harsh sounding square wave rather than a pleasant sounding sine wave. The magnetic coil of the drivers cannot "follow" a square wave and heats up. When it heats it expands in diameter and rubs against the permanent magnet. If that happens enough then the speaker seizes and can no longer move freely.

This doesn't happen at lower volumes, but when inadequately powered speakers are "turned up" it does, and this commonly happens to inexperienced users. That's how speakers are "blown". It happens more often when big speakers are put on small amps, rather than (what one might think would be more common) small speakers overpowered by big amps. You don't want to ruin thousand dollar speakers by driving them with a $300 amp. What I always say is, if it doesn't sound right, something's wrong. Just something to keep in mind.

So I have my speakers set to small crossed over st 80hz.
Would these towers sound better then my rti a7's?

Just a cheap upgrade for me. I don't want to upgrade if it's gonna sound worse!
post #41384 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So I have my speakers set to small crossed over st 80hz.
Would these towers sound better then my rti a7's?
Just a cheap upgrade for me. I don't want to upgrade if it's gonna sound worse!
The A9's are a definite upgrade from the A7's and will actually sound different, being slightly more brilliant on the high end and deeper on the low end. The A7's come off sounding more mellow compared to the A9's. But the A9's may sound anemic if underpowered. Heed what McCarty says above and Geoff. The A9's are awesome when properly powered. You may well end up sinking more into your upgrade than just the cost of the speakers. If you buy them and you are not impressed with their sound, I guarantee that you will be impressed if you just give them more power. With six drivers apiece, they are indeed very power hungry and don't deliver what they are capable of with less than 200 wpc.

post #41385 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The A9's are a definite upgrade from the A7's Heed what McCarty says above and Geoff. The A9's are awesome when properly powered. You may well end up sinking more into your upgrade than just the cost of the speakers. If you buy them and you are not impressed with their sound, I guarantee that you will be impressed if you just give them more power. With six drivers apiece, they are indeed very power hungry and don't deliver what they are capable of with less than 200 wpc.

Thanks Rob. Yes indeed, an upgrade it is. Look at the separate enclosure for the midrange/tweeter, that alone is an upgrade. Speaking of midrange, the A7 carries a single 6" driver, the A9 carries twin 5". Now, I know I'm just touting numbers here, but the technology that was put into the A9 is absent from the A7. And don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the A7 by any means, it's an awesome speaker in it's own right, the A9 is just an upgrade that IMO is worth looking into if a guy wants to reach for more.

And, I did some simple testing of power delivery to the A9's. 135wpc, 200wpc, both yielded the same results in sound as far as the top end goes.....bright. 300wpc and above actually smoothed out the highs from a sharp edge to something a bit smoother.

Now, I've been challenged on this before, being told that adding power made no difference on how a speaker sounds. Well, I believe it's safe to say, that each speaker, brand and size, has a signature all it's own, and each has it's own personality as well

The A9's are tough and can take tons of power thrown at them, and in turn, takes that power and changes it's personality, I've tested it using horns and cymbals tracks going from "Yikes" to "Oh yeah, that's it".

Everyone knows what they like, and I know what I like and dislike about my speakers. More power is always to my liking where the A9's are concerned.
RobLee, azz7686 and Aarghon like this.

Set up:
post #41386 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did some simple testing of power delivery to the A9's. 135wpc, 200wpc, both yielded the same results in sound as far as the top end goes.....bright. 300wpc and above actually smoothed out the highs from a sharp edge to something a bit smoother.
I remember how my A9's sounded for their first few months when I was driving them with the 125wpc Denon 3312 which I had been using to drive the A7's as mains. They seemed anemic... nothing like what I had expected from them. But they really livened up as soon as I bought the XPA-5. The difference was immediate, obvious and dramatic.

If they sounded that much better on 200wpc, I just had to find out how they would sound with 300wpc. I found a used XPA-2 but unfortunately didn't have room to get it setup permanently and never hooked it up to the A9's any longer than just to verify that it was operational.

Right now the A9's (and the 3312) are in storage and I am running a pair of Rti12's on a 150wpc Denon 4520. They sound good, but I only use them for music. I like the 4520's LFC (low frequency containment) which does a good job keeping the boominess down here in our condo. Eventually I hope to have the subs hooked up once again and use the Rti12's as wides when we move into a larger place... I know that you know how that is, Geoff.

BTW I just ordered the Salamander shelving this week and expect it to be delivered in a week or two. One thing at a time. We're also having our kitchen torn out and all new cabinets and flooring put in, so we have a lot going on right now. Then next month we fly back north to sell our house.

post #41387 of 41399 Old 02-12-2016, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:

Mikey loves his 8's, and rightly so.
Geoff, you get back home now, ya hear? LOL
Hard to believe I have to leave our little community to get some love from you. Speaking of love, you got those 9's rockin from every corner or are you waiting for a house?

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #41388 of 41399 Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 238
^lol
post #41389 of 41399 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Oops

Last edited by discobanger; Yesterday at 03:02 PM.
post #41390 of 41399 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM

Oops

Last edited by discobanger; Yesterday at 03:02 PM. Reason: Double post
post #41391 of 41399 Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Quote:
The A9's are a definite upgrade from the A7's and will actually sound different, being slightly more brilliant on the high end and deeper on the low end. The A7's come off sounding more mellow compared to the A9's. But the A9's may sound anemic if underpowered. Heed what McCarty says above and Geoff. The A9's are awesome when properly powered. You may well end up sinking more into your upgrade than just the cost of the speakers. If you buy them and you are not impressed with their sound, I guarantee that you will be impressed if you just give them more power. With six drivers apiece, they are indeed very power hungry and don't deliver what they are capable of with less than 200 wpc.

Sorry for the confusion! Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to go out and buy another amp.

I just wanted to know if the a9's will sound the same or better with my current setup.

I was worried they may sound worse then the a7's as my reciever is only rated for 130 watts per channel. It's an older Yamaha rxv-1800 but is has more power than I currently need in my 7.2 setup with both powered psw505's for my low end.

As stated I only use it with 80hz crossover to subs and will continue this with the a9's.

Will I get the same quality I currently am or do the a7's sound better with my current yamahae Or would I need more power for these towers? I understand what you guys are saying. I'm just paranoid and love Polk speakers. Will cost me nothing to upgrade just don't wanna mess up what I have.

Just paranoid as some people say these towers won't sound good unless they have a dedicated amp? I love my a7's and was hoping to get a9's but don't want to if I have to buy a separate amp.

I assumed changing from a7 to a9 I would get better quality sound. Hometheater use is about %80 and I always listen to music with my subs on and towers when playing whicj is very rare. This is for a dedicated hometheater room.

What do you guys suggest. I really value your opinions. I'm just a bit of a beginner.

Will I get the same sonic full sound or does this solely require that much more power than a7's.

i play my movies close to reference level FYI. Room is 25ft by 17 wide two rows of Theater seating.

Last edited by discobanger; Yesterday at 03:12 PM.
post #41392 of 41399 Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

My experience (again, MINE) was that when I was using A7's I always wondered what the A9's would sound like. The "what if" eats away at you. But when I bought the A9's and after I let them break in for a month or so they just didn't sound as good as I had expected. Better than the A7's? I dunno. They were a little disappointing at first. Then I bought the 200wpc amp and BOOM, they just came alive, and they sound awesome. As much as I like the A7's there is just no comparison.

However, I do fear that if you routinely listen at reference level then they may indeed tax your Yamaha, especially as you are also using to drive other speakers as well. But there are other guys here who drive their A9's (or 12's) with an AVR and will say there is no problem.

Note that I tend to hear things that other people do not hear. No, I don't hear voices... well, neighbors, yeah. Street noise, airplanes. Appliances turning on and off. But I mean I can hear faint, distant sounds that others tune out. Also stuff like earbuds, boom boxes and computer speakers just irritate my ears. So what sounds "bad" to me may be okay with someone else.

You have repeated several times that the upgrade will cost you very little, so that's why I keep saying just try it and see how you like them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
-

post #41393 of 41399 Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Quote:
My experience (again, MINE) was that when I was using A7's I always wondered what the A9's would sound like. The "what if" eats away at you. But when I bought the A9's and after I let them break in for a month or so they just didn't sound as good as I had expected. Better than the A7's? I dunno. They were a little disappointing at first. Then I bought the 200wpc amp and BOOM, they just came alive, and they sound awesome. As much as I like the A7's there is just no comparison.

However, I do fear that if you routinely listen at reference level then they may indeed tax your Yamaha, especially as you are also using to drive other speakers as well. But there are other guys here who drive their A9's (or 12's) with an AVR and will say there is no problem.

Note that I tend to hear things that other people do not hear. No, I don't hear voices... well, neighbors, yeah. Street noise, airplanes. Appliances turning on and off. But I mean I can hear faint, distant sounds that others tune out. Also stuff like earbuds, boom boxes and computer speakers just irritate my ears. So what sounds "bad" to me may be okay with someone else.

You have repeated several times that the upgrade will cost you very little, so that's why I keep saying just try it and see how you like them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
-

Thanks. I'll get em. Honestly I don't even care if I don't hear a difference! At least I'll have the option down the road to add an amp like you did.

My concern was it would sound worse then what I have (not having enough power). Maybe I'm just losing it.
post #41394 of 41399 Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My concern was it would sound worse then what I have (not having enough power).

The Microwave Popcorn Parable:

My wife and I love microwave popcorn, which pops in just a couple minutes in our 1000 watt microwave that we bought for around $100.

Once we tried to pop this same brand of bagged popcorn in a little 300 watt microwave in a motel room. These little microwaves can be bought for around $60 and are great for heating coffee, but instead of the rapid popping we are accustomed to, the bag just sizzled and there were long pauses between pops. The result was a bag of half popped, burned smelling popcorn that was inedible.

It was the same popcorn, but the low powered microwave oven just couldn't cook it right.

-
Geoff4RFC likes this.

post #41395 of 41399 Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Thanks. I'll get em. Honestly I don't even care if I don't hear a difference! At least I'll have the option down the road to add an amp like you did.

My concern was it would sound worse then what I have (not having enough power). Maybe I'm just losing it.

You wont regret it!!!!!!
post #41396 of 41399 Old Today, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Almost everyone sets their fronts to small when paired with a decent sub. Also 80Hz is the universally recommended crossover, but you can swing between 60-100hz and experiment; good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, the guy that replied to your post is not your universal guy. He's got two monster subs, plus he employs the monster bass from his A9's.............."You're not right DAVE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
Geoff, you get back home now, ya hear? LOL
Hard to believe I have to leave our little community to get some love from you. Speaking of love, you got those 9's rockin from every corner or are you waiting for a house?
Nuthin but love Mikey.........hey, WTH are YOU doing out of your yard, I'm telling mom!-

Quote:
The Microwave Popcorn Parable:

My wife and I love microwave popcorn, which pops in just a couple minutes in our 1000 watt microwave that we bought for around $100.

Once we tried to pop this same brand of bagged popcorn in a little 300 watt microwave in a motel room. These little microwaves can be bought for around $60 and are great for heating coffee, but instead of the rapid popping we are accustomed to, the bag just sizzled and there were long pauses between pops. The result was a bag of half popped, burned smelling popcorn that was inedible.

It was the same popcorn, but the low powered microwave oven just couldn't cook it right.

-

Ummmm, I just take my XPA-2 with me when I go to motels
climber07 likes this.

Set up:
post #41397 of 41399 Old Today, 02:23 PM

Just setup these A9's about one hour ago and got to tell you I played a scene from batman returns that I watched about 80 times and these towers have way more detail and space than the a7's. The highs seem better and more detailed then the A7's.

The clarity in these speakers are nutz, I'm not even using them to their full potential and they are fantastic.

I loved the A7's and they are amazing towers for sure but the A9's are just much more refined and detailed.

They seem much tighter, glad I pulled the trigger. I was worried I wouldn't have enough power for them but they are playing at high volume and super clear.

Mind you I have listened in stereo mode with two powered subs and it's just as good.

I understand now that if you want to play music and just use towers no powered subs that you need a lot of power.

But anyone running them the way I am they sound smokin.

I read elsewhere that the rti a9's would be too extreme in my type of setup and that the woofers wouldn't be utilized. Whoever said that is completely false. Even in my setup at high volume all speakers including the tower woofers are working. And the sound is so crystal clear and tight.

The scene in batman I watch is the pod face off, when the pod breaks through the glass I swear you can hear every single glass being shattered ALLOVER the place, close, far, high. Nutz. Best way I can describe these towers are that they feel like their are two towers on each side. Fill the space tremendously and with clear accuracy and tight, tight mids.

If you can get a deal on these towers go for it over a7's.

For me it barely cost me as I got rid of my A7's so I pulled the trigger as I may not have had the opportunity again.

So glad I did.

Last edited by discobanger; Today at 02:48 PM.
post #41398 of 41399 Old Today, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread

Glad to hear & thx for compare. I hear lots of good things about both the RtiA7 & A9. I almost bought gently used A7 towers 2 months ago but decided to buy new open box LSiM 703 bookshelves. Those puppies sound super clear & have lots of punch and weigh 29 lbs each, I had nice stands already.

I've heard many positives of the LSiM line so decided to give them a whirl. Enjoy your A9s!!
post #41399 of 41399 Old Today, 04:02 PM

It's so hard deciding sometimes when reading because everyone has their own personal preference.

I think I'm done for a while, this stuff makes you nutz. Now I'm getting the itch to buy a power amp! But only way would be if I got a really good deal on one. Otherwise don't need it.

I would love a set of lsim towers!

As for A7's, top notch and loved them, but if you can get the A9's for same price or close to. Nab the A9's. My opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread