Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 39124 Old 06-29-2006, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1959 View Post

They do perform the same function..... but, in my setup, there is a very noticeable improvement in sound quality, The cables "seem" to create a better (cleaner?) connection.

I really noticed the difference when I switched to the cables.... the top end opened up the image became bigger, tighter... maybe a bit smoother....

I was thinking of bi-wiring, but it was suggested to try this relatively inexpensive solution...

anyway... just make sure that you have a good connection between the two and I believe that it is best to connect the speaker cable to the lower set.

All this is just based on what I hear... your ears may vary...

Don

What you are describing is physically impossible. It has to be your imagination (placebo effect from having "done something" to make a difference.) Electrons cannot tell the difference between wire and a plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 39124 Old 06-29-2006, 05:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

What you are describing is physically impossible. It has to be your imagination (placebo effect from having "done something" to make a difference.) Electrons cannot tell the difference between wire and a plate.

I agree with you that electron can not tell the difference between a plate and a cable... you can ask them all night long and I dought they will ever know the difference...

But I am sure that the quality of the signal will be different between the two... it is the same with speaker cables... high quality speaker cables (not necessarily expensive) can make a huge difference in what you hear.... these jumpers I use are basically an extension of the speaker cable..... same goes for inter connects from a preamp to the amp and from DVD player to the pre....

A clean signal usually means better, less coloured sound.....

Do you really think that the electron flow between two very different medium is going to be identical?

Don
post #393 of 39124 Old 06-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I just became a Polker just a week or 2 ago if you exclude the two sets of Polk Audio speakers that came with 2 of my computers. I bought a set of Polk R15s when they went on sale at Outpost.com.
My setup's going to be 6 Polk R15s, 1 Polk Csi25, a Bic Acoustech H-100 Sub, and either a Panasonic SA-XR55K or SA-XR57K.
I wish I could get Polk R50s up front, but beggers can't be choosers
post #394 of 39124 Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 PM

Polk LSi or Energy Reference Connoisseur?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone,

For a 7.1 System, price not being a problem, I am thinking about getting either the Polk LSi 7.1 or the Energy RC 7.1 set-up.

For the Polk System I would be doing:

(2) Polk LSi 25
(2) Polk LSi 9
(2) Polk LSi FX
(1) Polk LSi C
(1) Energy RC-SUB10
(1) Sunfire Cinema Grand Seven TGA-7200 (Amp)
(1) Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXVi Receiver (Preamp)
(1) Monster HTPS 7000 (Power Conditioner)

Or if I do the Energy RC System I would be doing:

(2) RC-70
(2) RC-10
(2) RC-R
(1) RC-LCR
(1) Energy RC-SUB10
(1) Sunfire Cinema Grand Seven TGA-7200 (Amp)
(1) Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXVi Receiver (Preamp)
(1) Monster HTPS 7000 (Power Conditioner)

Which one do I go with for a Home Theater/Rec Room? Movies/Music = 75/25 Any suggestions? Please help! Thanks
post #395 of 39124 Old 06-29-2006, 10:55 PM

I think the polks would love the sunfire... enough power to really open them up... I may go with 4 Lsi 9s instead of the 25s... with 75% movies and a solid sub like the energy the bottom end of the Lsi 25s, at THX 80Hz, would not be utilized... and may be a bit hard to blend in with your main sub....

Then again .. I would love either system....

Don
post #396 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 05:15 AM

Quote:

Do you really think that the electron flow between two very different medium is going to be identical?

Don

Absolutely. Especially considering that the distance involved is maybe 3".
(If there were a difference, it would be in favor of the plate since it has a larger cross-section than even the heaviest-guage wire.)
Could it be that, when using the jumpers, you got the lugs tightened down better and ended up with a better electrical connection?
(One other note: Polk is a very quality-oriented company. If cables were better than plates, that is what they would use, especially since the difference in cost would be minimal.)
post #397 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:

One other note: Polk is a very quality-oriented company. If cables were better than plates, that is what they would use, especially since the difference in cost would be minimal

I agree that Polk is a better quality company... that is why they use 5-way binding posts that allow you do things like this.... bi-amp/bi-wire/jumper cable/straps.........

Quote:

(If there were a difference, it would be in favor of the plate since it has a larger cross-section than even the heaviest-guage wire.)

Using your logic, I could slap a nice thick piece of lead between the two and I would not notice any change in sound quality...?

Quote:

Could it be that, when using the jumpers, you got the lugs tightened down better and ended up with a better electrical connection?

Yes it could be.... but I think it is more likely that I am getting a better electrical connection because I am using better connections (cables) then the straps...

Just 2 quick questions for you if you don't mind....

What model of Polks do you have....? (I have a pair of RTi70s)

Have you tried using jumper cables instead of the supplied straps...?

Don
post #398 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 11:07 AM

Quote:

What model of Polks do you have....? (I have a pair of RTi70s)

Have you tried using jumper cables instead of the supplied straps...?

Don

I had Monitor 40's (I have since traded them for Infinity Beta 20's)
I did not try jumpers, but I did try biwiring and heard no improvement.
(BTW no, lead would not be as good. The plates are copper, just like speaker wire. )
post #399 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM View Post

I had Monitor 40's (I have since traded them for Infinity Beta 20's)
I did not try jumpers, but I did try biwiring and heard no improvement.
(BTW no, lead would not be as good. The plates are copper, just like speaker wire. )

So I guess electrons can tell the difference between copper straps and lead straps, but not between copper straps and jumper cables?

You tried bi-wire and noticed no difference at all.....mmmm... well everybody has different ears.... How did you have it wired.... what kind of cables did you use....?

Anyone else out there ever replaced the supplied straps with some other form of connection..... did it make any difference in the sound?

Don
post #400 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 05:24 PM

Don

I bi-amped my RTi 8's (same as bi-wired?) and the difference between that and just straps had a noticalbe difference in sound quality. Im also use a denon avr 2807 with the auto set-up (placing the mic around at multipul listening positions) to set speaker levels.
post #401 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyfoot4 View Post

Don

I bi-amped my RTi 8's (same as bi-wired?) and the difference between that and just straps had a noticalbe difference in sound quality. Im also use a denon avr 2807 with the auto set-up (placing the mic around at multipul listening positions) to set speaker levels.

Let me guess... it opened up the top end and improved imaging?

Don
post #402 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyfoot4 View Post

Don

Bi-amp'ing would be superior to bi-wiring. I'm not an expert audiophile, do have a A.A.S. in Electronics however and using a reciever with seperate amps to power the mid/hi and lows would allow you to drive the speaker better then one amp usually. Bi-wiring benefits leave room for debate, but Polk inlcudes them for those that want to.

On the debate over copper cables or a gold plated strip, I'd go with the gold plated strip. Gold is a better conductor, end of argument IMHO, that's plain fact.
post #403 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:

On the debate over copper cables or a gold plated strip, I'd go with the gold plated strip. Gold is a better conductor, end of argument IMHO, that's plain fact.

But the cables are gold plated......
post #404 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 08:00 PM

Don

You'll have to elaborate on "opened up the top end and improved imaging" phrase you keep adding to your responses.

With the bi-amp and listening positions set, I found to sound to be full and robust. (This is the common improvement of bi-amping a 2-way speaker ) Im not useing a sub, so the majority of the bass comes from my RTi 8's (and they do a good job at that)

Oh and . . . even though your cables have gold plated tips, your still running the signal through copper wire, a short distance, but copper wire none the less. Take some time and measure the resistance on cables and the gold platted strip. (if you still have them) Please post those here so we can get a better idea as to what were dealing with. Gold plated terminals connected by gold plated strips must been the best way for Polk to set-up and market their speakers. . . and they were probably measured with a highly calibrated instrument to produce quality industry results. This comes down to personal preference and since your nearly twice my age, the both of us are going to hear the same thing differently.

Oh and would you just drop it already.
post #405 of 39124 Old 06-30-2006, 10:36 PM

Sorry, I was kidding about the gold plated cables (they are not anyway)... and the rest I was just having fun with.... I don't think I picked on anyone... Well maybe some of that electron stuff.... I thought the "nice thick piece of lead" was a good one....

Quote:

You'll have to elaborate on "opened up the top end and improved imaging" phrase you keep adding to your responses

opened up the top end can be equated to your "full and robust" and with imaging I am refereing to the stereo image produced... the sound stage if you will....

So, to elaborate, I would have to say that the sound stage became bigger, more full and robust with a more focused placement of the image on that stage....

Quote:

Take some time and measure the resistance on cables and the gold platted strip. (if you still have them)

I still have them.. packed away... I used them for about a year or so until I upgraded my power and was trying to squeeze as much as I could out of the Polks...

I never have and never will measure/claim to have measured/claim to know the various electrical properties of strap vs cable.... well... I still think the lead slab thing was good....it is just that it is a very common suggestion (knowledge?) to improve the high end ... replace the straps with good cables..... and I don't mean just with Polks....

Quote:

This comes down to personal preference and since your nearly twice my age, the both of us are going to hear the same thing differently

Audio will always be about personal preference and sadly we will hear things differently... age is taking its toll on me .... I recently, during a calibration of my system, did a frequency sweep and I started to lose it at about 17 KHz... used to be much better....

Quote:

Oh and would you just drop it already

Sure... no problem... if nobody is interested in the strap vs cables debate.... I usually don't respond to my own posts... well on a good day anyway.....

Maybe I just get bored....

Don
post #406 of 39124 Old 08-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Howdy Folks. Noob here, at least to the Polk forum. I JUST ordered 3 LC80i's for my new house. I have been all over and heard a lot of in wall/ceiling speakers and they all sounded hollow. Sound Advice (Tweeter)'s "special room" was less than impressive. The sales guy was trying to sell me Boston's 585t2's they had on clearance for $388ea. I had to pas, mostly because what I heard was bad... At another location I got to hear several sets which sounded just as bad (various makers) then the LC80i's. That was the first time I was actually impressed. Of course now its a $399ea speaker. Yikes. Found'em on eBay for $250ea, so I bought 3 for the rear. I hope I have not wasted $750, but EVERYTHING I have (found to) read about them makes me think I did the right thing. They will be driven by the Yamaha RX-V2600 I bought from Overstock ($707 - shipped!!!).

Anyone have personal experience with these speakers they care to share? Good/Bad/other - Any install tips (aiming, etc.) greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
post #407 of 39124 Old 08-26-2006, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just thought Id bump this, lots of polk questions lately.

Friends dont let friends Pan and Scan!!!
post #408 of 39124 Old 08-26-2006, 11:54 AM

Thinking about doing a polk system, since I can get a great deal on them. Anyways, what is the difference between the Rti and the Lsi series, also, do they make great subs or should i turn elswhere?
post #409 of 39124 Old 08-26-2006, 07:07 PM

The RTi line are good speakers... the LSi line are great speakers... The RTi line is reasonably priced.. the LSi line are expensive... the RTi line are easy to drive (8 ohm, 90 db or so).... the LSi line are hard to drive (4 ohm, 86 db)

If you have the money and the power to drive them, I would go with the LSi line...

Polk makes not bad subs.... but there are much better ones out there... like sunfire and SVS.

Don
post #410 of 39124 Old 08-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

From what I've read, Polk do not make the best subs. Look at HSU, SVS.
post #411 of 39124 Old 08-26-2006, 11:42 PM

I plan on buying the denon 2807, will that be sufficiant to drive the Lsi7 or 9's...
post #412 of 39124 Old 08-27-2006, 12:09 AM

OK would you recomend the lsi' system with the SVS sub or the axiom epic grand master setup for HT. I want something that is clear and can handle whatever I throw at it, mostly movies, and give me the bass I need.
post #413 of 39124 Old 08-27-2006, 07:45 AM

anyone...?
post #414 of 39124 Old 08-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

From what I've read on the Polk forums, most people really recommmend seperate power amps for Lsi series, as they are power hungry 4 ohm speakers. Sure you could use that receiver(110W), but they will probably not be at their full potenetial.
post #415 of 39124 Old 08-27-2006, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

>the RTi line are easy to drive (8 ohm, 90 db or so)....

Although "easy to drive," they sound good with a receiver. My rti12's sounded spectacular once I added a pro-amp for them to my 3805...

Get an amp if you're going rti10 or 12...
post #416 of 39124 Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc99 View Post

From what I've read on the Polk forums, most people really recommmend seperate power amps for Lsi series, as they are power hungry 4 ohm speakers. Sure you could use that receiver(110W), but they will probably not be at their full potenetial.

Hi cyann,

To echo what Doc has stated, according to the Denon manual, this receiver is only rated down to 6 ohm loads. Apparently you can play lower impedance loads, but the receiver may overheat. Here is what the manual says:

Quote:

Note on speaker impedance
When using speakers with an impedance below the designated value (for example 4 ohms), playing for long periods of time with the volume high could cause the temperature to rise, activating the protection circuit.

When the protection circuit is activated, the output to the speakers is cut off and the power indicator blinks. If this happens, unplug the power cord, wait for the set to cool off and improve ventilation around the unit. Also check the wiring of the input cables and the speakers cables. after doing this, plug the ower cord back in and turn the unit's power back on.

If the protection circuit is activated again even though there are no problems with the wiring or the ventilation around the unit, switch off the power and contact a DENON service center.

I am using Polk Audio LC265i speakers for my surround back channels. These speakers are the In-Wall versions of the LSi series and share the same drivers and impedance/power requirements. I use a separate amplifier channel that is rated to go below 4 ohms, and provides more that 200 watts to each speaker.

With regards to subwoofers, if you'll notice my home theater (see link in my signature) is comprised almost entirely of Polk Audio speakers. The notable exception is that my subwoofers are not made by Polk. While I believe that Polk Audio provides a very good value for the money, nevertheless, when selecting subwoofers I prefer to go with companies that specialize on making quality subwoofers even if they do cost quite a bit more than Polk Audio.

Of course this decision is really a very personal value judgement on your part, but if I were leaning toward the higher quality LSi series, I would also consider a higher quality subwoofer(s) to compliment them. I would also make sure my amplifier(s) were capable of playing a set of these speakers at near reference levels.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #417 of 39124 Old 08-28-2006, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

Howdy Folks. Noob here, at least to the Polk forum. I JUST ordered 3 LC80i's for my new house. I have been all over and heard a lot of in wall/ceiling speakers and they all sounded hollow. Sound Advice (Tweeter)'s "special room" was less than impressive. The sales guy was trying to sell me Boston's 585t2's they had on clearance for $388ea. I had to pas, mostly because what I heard was bad... At another location I got to hear several sets which sounded just as bad (various makers) then the LC80i's. That was the first time I was actually impressed. Of course now its a $399ea speaker. Yikes. Found'em on eBay for $250ea, so I bought 3 for the rear. I hope I have not wasted $750, but EVERYTHING I have (found to) read about them makes me think I did the right thing. They will be driven by the Yamaha RX-V2600 I bought from Overstock ($707 - shipped!!!).

Anyone have personal experience with these speakers they care to share? Good/Bad/other - Any install tips (aiming, etc.) greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi,

As in the case of the Denon receiver, I believe the your Yamaha receiver is only rated down to 6 ohms, whereas the LC80i's are 4 ohm speakers. However, it may be able to drive 4 ohm loads based on this review by Audioaholics.com, Yamaha RX-V2600 Receiver Review.

Here are some excerpts from the review that may be of interest:

Quote:

Speaker Impedance
This is the place where you can set the RXV2600's output impedance to either 6- or 8- ohms. We recommend leaving this in the 8-ohm setting regardless of your loudspeakers, unless you are truly looking to overdrive the Yamaha amplifiers on low impedance speakers.

Frankly, I don't follow the point the reviewer is trying to make about low impedance speakers. If it has a 6-ohm setting, why wouldn't the user use it if his/her speakers were rated at 6 ohms?

Quote:

Fan Operation Mode
You can tweak the Yamaha to operate in AUTO mode (default) whereby the fan comes on automatically based on the temperature of the unit, or CONT continuous) to engage the fan permanently (for use in smaller equipment closets, etc). Note: After running the RX-V2600 for a while I noticed that it runs quite hot, so give it plenty of ventilation and consider using the continuous fan mode if you plan on shutting it up in any sort of entertainment center or enclosed space.

Since the receiver apparently runs hot, it might be wise if you were running a collection of 4 ohms speakers to set the fan to continuous operation.

The reviewer gave the receiver slightly above average ratings (3.5 out of 5.0) for Measured Power Into 4-ohms. Here's is their measured results into a single 4 ohm load.

Quote:

We measured CONTINUOUS unclipped power into 4-ohms and showed that the Yamaha could easily drive a single channel from 20Hz to 20kHz at around 185Wrms (20Hz was showing 162wpc). At 8-ohms that measurement fell to around 127wpc (20 Hz was around 113wpc).

With two channels driven, the Yamaha only lost a little power, coming in at around 122wpc with two channels at 8-ohms. These tests were conducted unclipped with distortion no greater than 0.5%. So in reality these are not max power figures but real world, clean continuous power measurements.

Obviously, these tests weren't taken driving all 7 channels, as would be the case when listening to movies. Therefore, some caution should be exercised when driving a complete set of 4 ohms speakers, especially at moderate to high listening levels.

With regard to using three LC80i's for the rear, it is not clear to me how you intend to wire your system. Did you mean that you intend to use two as side surrounds with one single surround back? Or did you intend to try to wire three surround back speakers in addition to the side surrounds?

With a true 7.1 system, capable of delivering stereo signals to two surround back speakers, it would be best to have four surround speakers, two side surrounds and two surround back speakers.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, I have a set of LC265i's for my surround back speakers. They are similar to your speakers only a little larger. I have them mounted inside Polk Audio's optional Performance Enclosures. The volume of the enclosure is "tuned" to the characteristics of the speakers to provide optimal bass performance. The enclosures also have the added benefit of reducing the sound leaking out of the room through the walls.

On the last page of the LCi Series Cutsheet, Polk provides information on the ideal wall volume for each of their LCi In-wall speakers. If you don't plan on using the optional enclosures, you can still install firebreaks inside the wall cavity sized to the ideal volume for your speakers.

As to how the LCi's sound, I have been very pleased with them. Many of my guests comment on the clarity of the stereo sound coming from my surround back speakers. With the enclosures they have a low frequency response of close to 40 Hz.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #418 of 39124 Old 08-28-2006, 05:59 PM

Checking in as a Polkie. Used to have Polk on the car for years. Just build a music/HT system in the last 4 weeks.

LSi25 mains, with the powered subs running as, well, subs. Took off the bridge and have the subs running from the sub-out on the AVR to the LFE in on the 25s.
LSiC center, LSi9s as surrounds. The wife would not let me mount anything on the wall, so FXs were pretty much out. I just couldnt see putting FXs on speaker stands.

I am running this off a Denon 4806CI AVR, and I don't think it is going to get stressed at the listening levels I use. I have not really found a reason to get about -15db on the dial, though I have experimented all the way to 0db. Painful.

I have the 25s slightly toed in toward the main listenind position, and the 9s are at around 120 degrees slightly behind and to the side in the rear.

After putting these on my wish list 4 1/2 years ago, I must say that I am very very happy to have these in my living room now.

Ruin
post #419 of 39124 Old 08-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

With regard to using three LC80i's for the rear, it is not clear to me how you intend to wire your system. Did you mean that you intend to use two as side surrounds with one single surround back? Or did you intend to try to wire three surround back speakers in addition to the side surrounds?

With a true 7.1 system, capable of delivering stereo signals to two surround back speakers, it would be best to have four surround speakers, two side surrounds and two surround back speakers.
Larry

Larry,
My error was in having ony 6 leads wired, and of those only 3 to the rear. The 2600 does accomodate a "6.1" set-up, I assume combining SBR & SBL (internally in the Amp) into a single channel output thru the SBL posts. The SB channel will be only slightly behind the listening position, and the SL & SR may very well end up directly over the listening/seating. I'm hoping the YPAO (auto eq/vol via mic & test tones) will aid in getting the volumes set to compansate the poor physical positioning. The ceiling these LC80i's will be in cannot be further firestopped (without an ordeal) but do occupy a healthy space - If the sound is unsatisfactory on install I will have only 10" holes to access thru for batting and such. I hope to be making my installs within the coming week, and will post pics & results. Thanks for the info!
Henry
post #420 of 39124 Old 08-30-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrain28 View Post

Larry,
My error was in having ony 6 leads wired, and of those only 3 to the rear. The 2600 does accomodate a "6.1" set-up, I assume combining SBR & SBL (internally in the Amp) into a single channel output thru the SBL posts. The SB channel will be only slightly behind the listening position, and the SL & SR may very well end up directly over the listening/seating. I'm hoping the YPAO (auto eq/vol via mic & test tones) will aid in getting the volumes set to compansate the poor physical positioning. The ceiling these LC80i's will be in cannot be further firestopped (without an ordeal) but do occupy a healthy space - If the sound is unsatisfactory on install I will have only 10" holes to access thru for batting and such. I hope to be making my installs within the coming week, and will post pics & results. Thanks for the info!
Henry

Hi Henry,

Yes, all modern surround processors/receivers, even those that don't have automatic equalization and calibration, must provide a means to at least manually adjust the levels and time delays between speakers. This is done to adjust for the typical situation where the primary listening location is not equidistant from all speakers.

I wouldn't be unduely concerned about your Polks sounding unsatisfactory simply because they don't have enclosures. I would put the enclosures in the category of "tweaks" versus critical installation requirements. I only mentioned them because you requested installation tips, and didn't mean to suggest that you would likely have unsatisfactory results without them.

Enjoy!

Larry

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page