Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1420 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1016Likes

post #42571 of 42613 Old 07-14-2016, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Yes, correct. But you use double tape instead of screws to attach the plate on the stand.

You use the metal support plate only if the stand top plate is smaller than the IsoAcoustics stand.
Well my DIY stands might just have gotten about 110 bucks more expensive lol.....

I REALLY like the one for the center. I might do that regardless if I end up getting the center I want....

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42572 of 42613 Old 07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Well my DIY stands might just have gotten about 110 bucks more expensive lol.....

I REALLY like the one for the center. I might do that regardless if I end up getting the center I want....
Try to get the stands from Amazon in case you need to return them back. I use to buy all my pro audio equipment from Sweetwater because I have a credit line with them and also I get like 20% discount but this time I lost $20 because I ordered the small IsoAcoustics stands instead of the mediums so I had to return the small and pay for return shipping. Amazon has free returns so it's better to order from Amazon.

Forgot to mention that IsoAcoustics made a Modular Series that you can use with subwoofers and tower speakers. Check on our Facebook page so you can see one of our customers setups with B&W 800D speakers and Rythmik Subwoofers on IsoAcoustics stands.

https://www.facebook.com/rythmikaudi...52331971662813

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |

Last edited by enricoclaudio; 07-14-2016 at 01:49 PM.
post #42573 of 42613 Old 07-14-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Try to get the stands from Amazon in case you need to return them back. I use to buy all my pro audio equipment from Sweetwater because I have a credit line with them and also I get like 20% discount but this time I lost $20 because I ordered the small IsoAcoustics stands instead of the mediums so I had to return the small and pay for return shipping. Amazon has free returns so it's better to order from Amazon.
I also get a discount on Sweetwater stuff through work, so I will probably try them out that way as I also need to buy a XLS 1502 at the same time......

I do know I will need the mediums for these speakers so that should hopefully help lol....

Quote:
Forgot to mention that IsoAcoustics made a Modular Series that you can use with subwoofers and tower speakers. Check on our Facebook page so you can see one of our customers setups with B&W 800D speakers and Rythmik Subwoofers on IsoAcoustics stands.

https://www.facebook.com/rythmikaudi...52331971662813
Yeah I've seen those. In my case my sub for that setup will be a DIY one that is a downfiring really big endtable. Otherwise I'd LOVE to get one for that sub.

My Martycube is also downfiring so its not an option there.... I'm stuck with downfiring ported subs so its not an option for me right now

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #42574 of 42613 Old 07-14-2016, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 26
BTW LSiM line is on sale for HALF OFF at Adorama!

Only available in sets though

LSi M704c Center + Pair of LSI M703 Bookshelf Speakers $1125

LSi M706 Center + Pair of LSI M703 Bookshelf Speakers $1350
In cherry or black

LSI M706 Center + Pair of LSI M703 Bookshelf Speakers + pair of LSI M707 Floorstanding Speakers $3350

http://slickdeals.net/f/8922491-polk...e-shipping?v=1
post #42575 of 42613 Old 07-14-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 4006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post
Without foam of some type at the corners it's a crap shoot. That foam keeps the corners of the box physically away from the corners of the speaker.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
I would not know why double cardboard and double bubble wrap would not handle the same shock...well unless you toss it down the hallway like Ace Ventura..."HDS sir and how are you today? Alllllrighty then". "Sounds broken but I bet it was something nice". 😃

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #42576 of 42613 Old 07-15-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I would not know why double cardboard and double bubble wrap would not handle the same shock...well unless you toss it down the hallway like Ace Ventura..."HDS sir and how are you today? Alllllrighty then". "Sounds broken but I bet it was something nice". 😃
Bubble wrap compresses and can pop if enough pressure is there. So it might compress JUST enough to cause damage depending on the pressure applied where it lands.

Personally, if I dont have the original factory box and packaging, I do outer box - foam - inner box - foam - bubble wrap.....

And most importantly I take pictures of the packaging steps as I do them so when the monkeys at wherever drop it and break it I can show that it was packaged adequately.

If I send in the factory inserts and box they are MUCH less likely to try to argue its not packed right..... which is why I am a packrat and keep all that crap until I either decide I'm NEVER selling it (and then I will use its box and packaging for something else if needed), or I sell it lol....

My Setup

Quote:

post #42577 of 42613 Old 07-15-2016, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

@RobLee

When do you head back to FL? And you still thinking about not taking those stands with you? I might be interested in taking them off your hands depending on which ones they are.

My Setup

Quote:

post #42578 of 42613 Old 07-15-2016, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Bubble wrap compresses and can pop if enough pressure is there. So it might compress JUST enough to cause damage depending on the pressure applied where it lands.

Personally, if I dont have the original factory box and packaging, I do outer box - foam - inner box - foam - bubble wrap.........
Being the packrat that I am (and knowing that if anything can possibly happen, it will) I keep those styrofoam or foam rubber corners that some speakers and particularly subs ship in. While in storage and waiting to be used for packing, I just stack them in the corner behind the sub as a sound trap.

Quote:
@RobLee

When do you head back to FL? And you still thinking about not taking those stands with you? I might be interested in taking them off your hands depending on which ones they are.
I didn't forget, but sorry, I'm probably going to keep them. I may use them for rears or surrounds in FL. We leave at the end of the month with a Uhaul and heavy as they are, will not take up much space in the truck. Also, I can maybe go down to the beach and scoop up some sand to fill them (though I suppose I'll have to bake the sand first or something to kill the odors). On second thought, Home Depot might be a better idea.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk Rti12's, Csi3, Fxi4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
post #42579 of 42613 Old 07-15-2016, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
I didn't forget, but sorry, I'm probably going to keep them. I may use them for rears or surrounds in FL. We leave at the end of the month with a Uhaul and heavy as they are, will not take up much space in the truck. Also, I can maybe go down to the beach and scoop up some sand to fill them (though I suppose I'll have to bake the sand first or something to kill the odors). On second thought, Home Depot might be a better idea.
No worries man. I can't blame you for keeping them at all . I'd do the same

My Setup

Quote:

post #42580 of 42613 Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Is anyone taking advantage of the Adorama sale? It's essentially the same pricing as the F&F 50% off sale, but the speakers are bundled, which may be a problem for some.
post #42581 of 42613 Old 07-15-2016, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Being the packrat that I am (and knowing that if anything can possibly happen, it will) I keep those styrofoam or foam rubber corners that some speakers and particularly subs ship in. While in storage and waiting to be used for packing, I just stack them in the corner behind the sub as a sound trap.

Yes, the sand also needs to be 100% bug free, and be completely dry. I've gone to a renovation center and bought a 60 pounds construction grade sand bag and it cost me 4$, so I guess your second option and is the best one! With that much sand, I even should have considered a DYI sand castle stand model

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212 turbo subwoofers
Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player, Modded Rega RP1 turntable
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
post #42582 of 42613 Old 07-16-2016, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
LSIM 703'S Cheap

I'm very happy, just picked up a pair of LSIM-703's from two different Amazon sellers, who both apparently only had one.

Got one for $400, and one for $425. Pays to be observant! Now I just need F/x's, 705's or 707's, and a 706c.
Aarghon and yanks1 like this.

Last edited by bmack500; 07-16-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Typos
post #42583 of 42613 Old 07-17-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post
I'm very happy, just picked up a pair of LSIM-703's from two different Amazon sellers, who both apparently only had one.

Got one for $400, and one for $425. Pays to be observant! Now I just need F/x's, 705's or 707's, and a 706c.
Adorama, who is an authorized online Polk vendor, is running some sales on LSiM bundles right now and the pricing is essentially 50% off. If you can cancel your Amazon orders, it may save you some money and get you more of what you want. They appear to have one bundle that includes a 706c & two 703s and another bundle that includes the 706c, two 703s and two 707s. Some of the bundles appear to only be available in one color or the other, which might influence your decision.

You can find more info on slickdeals.net.
post #42584 of 42613 Old 07-17-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Adorama, who is an authorized online Polk vendor, is running some sales on LSiM bundles right now and the pricing is essentially 50% off. If you can cancel your Amazon orders, it may save you some money and get you more of what you want. They appear to have one bundle that includes a 706c & two 703s and another bundle that includes the 706c, two 703s and two 707s. Some of the bundles appear to only be available in one color or the other, which might influence your decision.

You can find more info on slickdeals.net.

Well, I called and they said the deal is going on "for the foreseeable future". Which to me means new models are coming out.
So payday I'll pick up the deal with the two 707's, 703's and 706 center. Then I just need the surrounds and I'll be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aarghon likes this.
post #42585 of 42613 Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 AM

It's certainly possible they are coming out with something new. As far as I can tell, you can't even order 703s via Polk's site right now. I ordered a 706 and a couple of 703s from Adorama during the last Friends & Family sale. The 703s were backordered for a few months, but finally showed up a few weeks ago. They are still showing as unavailable on Polk's site, which seems a bit odd to me. I called Polk once while waiting for the 703s from Adorama to arrive and that person indicated they were awaiting a shipment of 400+ 703s.
post #42586 of 42613 Old 07-18-2016, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmack500 View Post
Well, I called and they said the deal is going on "for the foreseeable future". Which to me means new models are coming out.
So payday I'll pick up the deal with the two 707's, 703's and 706 center. Then I just need the surrounds and I'll be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont know about that one honestly, they went over 10+ years with the LSi series before redoing the speaker.

If I had to hazard a guess as to why its that they noticed at that slashed price point they are moving a LOT more product, so while their profit margin may be smaller, the quantity they are selling is enough to offset it at least for now, and keep everything profitable enough for them to stomach. They also may have figured out a way to lower the price of the enclosure which given the curves and finish is I'm sure not super cheap.

The line I look for to be refreshed soon is the RTi A line as it hasn't had a upgrade to the line for quite a bit.

I'd say the RTi A line refresh and they release some new in-ceiling and in-wall options for Atmos and the newer audio formats. They currently have speakers you could USE in those scenarios, but not meant for JUST that.

Maybe the RTI with a flat top for upward firing ATMOS add on speakers like Def-Tech and Pioneer did....
Aarghon likes this.

My Setup

Quote:

post #42587 of 42613 Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

+1. I would expect a refresh on RTi A series but not on LSiM. If I recall the LSiM series was introduced back in 2011 and 5 years life cycle is not common for Polk Audio speakers. The RTiA was introduced back in 2007 so that's most probably the series that could get a refresh this year or next year. Also the fact that Definitive Technologies has an Atmos speaker already and due that Definitive Technologies and Polk Audio are the same company, it make sense for Polk Audio to launch a new RTi - Atmos compatible speaker series. Also note that that bundle offered by Adorama if only available at Adorama and only as a bundle. There is no discount for single or pair of speakers.

Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
post #42588 of 42613 Old 07-18-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
I dont know about that one honestly, they went over 10+ years with the LSi series before redoing the speaker.

If I had to hazard a guess as to why its that they noticed at that slashed price point they are moving a LOT more product, so while their profit margin may be smaller, the quantity they are selling is enough to offset it at least for now, and keep everything profitable enough for them to stomach. They also may have figured out a way to lower the price of the enclosure which given the curves and finish is I'm sure not super cheap.

The line I look for to be refreshed soon is the RTi A line as it hasn't had a upgrade to the line for quite a bit.

I'd say the RTi A line refresh and they release some new in-ceiling and in-wall options for Atmos and the newer audio formats. They currently have speakers you could USE in those scenarios, but not meant for JUST that.

Maybe the RTI with a flat top for upward firing ATMOS add on speakers like Def-Tech and Pioneer did....
I have this feeling that Polk is moving out of the dealer model, and this price point sales product while the high margin product is now the soundbar and bluetooth wireless thingers.
post #42589 of 42613 Old 07-18-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
+1. I would expect a refresh on RTi A series but not on LSiM. If I recall the LSiM series was introduced back in 2011 and 5 years life cycle is not common for Polk Audio speakers. The RTiA was introduced back in 2007 so that's most probably the series that could get a refresh this year or next year. Also the fact that Definitive Technologies has an Atmos speaker already and due that Definitive Technologies and Polk Audio are the same company, it make sense for Polk Audio to launch a new RTi - Atmos compatible speaker series. Also note that that bundle offered by Adorama if only available at Adorama and only as a bundle. There is no discount for single or pair of speakers.
They have to put a speaker on top for atmos so RTI A is very due for an update.
post #42590 of 42613 Old 07-18-2016, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
I have this feeling that Polk is moving out of the dealer model, and this price point sales product while the high margin product is now the soundbar and bluetooth wireless thingers.
Maybe, it also might be that they know their top tier products wont sell well in big box stores at its pricepoint, so they move the "GOOD" stuff to online retailers only, while retaining the lower models (R/M/T/Monitor/TSx/RTi A) at big box stores.

My Setup

Quote:

post #42591 of 42613 Old 07-18-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't recall any B&M store selling the LSiM series. Even, only few online retailers have the LSiM in stock and all of them sell it at full MSRP. You can still find RTi A at Fry's but they never had the LSiM series in stock.

post #42592 of 42613 Old 07-18-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 1269
Quote:
I don't recall any B&M store selling the LSiM series. Even, only few online retailers have the LSiM in stock and all of them sell it at full MSRP. You can still find RTi A at Fry's but they never had the LSiM series in stock.
There are some Pacific Sales stores with LSIM series for sale. I'd call the local store before making the drive just to be sure.
post #42593 of 42613 Old 07-18-2016, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Goodnight all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1468903124852.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1553969  
post #42594 of 42613 Old 07-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
Is anyone taking advantage of the Adorama sale? It's essentially the same pricing as the F&F 50% off sale, but the speakers are bundled, which may be a problem for some.
I really wanted to jump on this deal, but the 706c is too tall (9") for my setup, and the 703 bundle with the 704c was already backordered by the time I found this deal. Last I checked, there were still some 706/703 bundles in cherry. I'd be willing to purchase a set if someone here wants a heavily discounted 706 center speaker.
post #42595 of 42613 Old 07-21-2016, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It was probably a price mistake but I snagged a pair of FXi/A6's from Amazon at 299.99 the other day. I was planning on using these huge speakers as side surrounds in a 7.1.4 setup. First does anyone know of any speakers stands that can handle these behemoths. Second, barring another miracle of a price mistake on another pair of A6's, sound wise would it be ok to use a pair of OWM3's that I have in the rear or should I try save up?
post #42596 of 42613 Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 AM

Speaking of speaker stands, does anybody have a link to some nice sturdy stands for the LSIM-703's bookshelves?
yanks1 likes this.
post #42597 of 42613 Old 07-21-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post
I really wanted to jump on this deal, but the 706c is too tall (9") for my setup, and the 703 bundle with the 704c was already backordered by the time I found this deal. Last I checked, there were still some 706/703 bundles in cherry. I'd be willing to purchase a set if someone here wants a heavily discounted 706 center speaker.
@Radio81 and I are sharing one of the group buys, where I get the 706C. I have a new in box black Mahogany LSiM703 that I bought in the F & F sale that I intended to use with my 2 other LSiM 703's as a center. But, before I got around to it, I had to lower my screen and the 703 became too tall. It's available for $500.

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, Sony HW-30ES/ Grandview 120" curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LSiC center, T-15 RH, Monitor 60 FW, CSiA1 FH, AT DA-44 TM, ED A6t sides
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 on order for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 9.2.6(or better) Pre-pro is available.
post #42598 of 42613 Old 07-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
@Radio81 and I are sharing one of the group buys, where I get the 706C. I have a new in box black Mahogany LSiM703 that I bought in the F & F sale that I intended to use with my 2 other LSiM 703's as a center. But, before I got around to it, I had to lower my screen and the 703 became too tall. It's available for $500.
Yeah! I am beyond happy that we could make this deal work for both of us. Honestly, the last thing I need is more speakers, but I could not pass these up at half off. I plan to run without a center until I can find a discounted 704c.

If anyone has a recommendation for speaker stands for the 703, please let me know. I would prefer a 22”-24” stand which can also be filled with sand or steel shot. The problem I’m finding is that most of the speaker stand top plates aren’t big enough. The 703 is a fairly deep bookshelf, and very heavy. Does everyone still use blu tack to help secure the speakers to the stands? Double sided tape?

I’ve found some 18” stands that would probably work, but not sure I want to go that low.
post #42599 of 42613 Old 07-21-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 109
^^^I have my L & R 703's sitting on top of my dual Subs. I put 6" stands under the subs to reduce "floor effect" and it turned out to be just the right height for the front pair. Perhaps it's better to spend the money on a second sub than stands, if you don't already have a second sub. The LSiM 703's are good down to mid-bass and having my subs just underneath seemed like a good idea.
zpatter1 likes this.

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, Sony HW-30ES/ Grandview 120" curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LSiC center, T-15 RH, Monitor 60 FW, CSiA1 FH, AT DA-44 TM, ED A6t sides
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 on order for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 9.2.6(or better) Pre-pro is available.
post #42600 of 42613 Old 07-21-2016, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
^^^I have my L & R 703's sitting on top of my dual Subs. I put 6" stands under the subs to reduce "floor effect" and it turned out to be just the right height for the front pair. Perhaps it's better to spend the money on a second sub than stands, if you don't already have a second sub. The LSiM 703's are good down to mid-bass and having my subs just underneath seemed like a good idea.
I just bought an Outlaw Ultra X12 and a Subdude HT II isolation mat earlier this year. I have plenty of space for another sub, but I’m not sure I want to cough up the cash for all that again. I need to sell some things first, like my HTD Level 3 towers and center I have listed for sale here on AVS. *COUGH*

That is a good idea though and the X12 is tall enough to where it would work great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread