Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1426 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 1071Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #42751 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I'm using the Lsim 703 and LSim706c, in place of RTi12's and CSi6--"Brightness" gone
yanks1 likes this.

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, JVC RS600, Grandview 120" 1.3g curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LsiC and LSiM 706 centers, T-15 RH, Monitor 60 FW, CSiA1 FH, AT DA-44 TM, ED A6t sides
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 on order for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 9.2.6(or better) Pre-pro is available.
Ted99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42752 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 12:21 PM
Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Upgrade assistance with center channel

Making some HT upgrades starting with my front setup. Currently have front L/R in walls, rc55i. The rest of the system is from an older Polk RM-705 set. I decided to replace in walls with 65RTs. Ideally would like the larger 265RT but too big for my wife. Center will be free standing and the issue is space. The matching free standing center is CSiA4. It' just too big for our setup. Picture attached. The TL3 and TL2 work either sitting in front of TV or better on top of tv via a shelf so they are closer to height of in wall L/R. The TL3 is not a match timbre wise for the 65Rt. The step down TL2, according to Polk support, is however a much better match due to similar tweeters. I'm trying to decide what is more important, better quality sound of TL3 vs better matching TL2. Any thoughts? My other thought is that I may be able to put CSiA4 behind the TV if I move it up a bit. The issue with that is the center tweeter will be blocked by the TV stand. Don't know the significance of that but doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Any thoughts on that one? Pic of tv stand attached as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	1627833   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1627841  
confinoj is online now  
post #42753 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 12:30 PM
Member
 
Greg Samples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Making some HT upgrades starting with my front setup. Currently have front L/R in walls, rc55i. The rest of the system is from an older Polk RM-705 set. I decided to replace in walls with 65RTs. Ideally would like the larger 265RT but too big for my wife. Center will be free standing and the issue is space. The matching free standing center is CSiA4. It' just too big for our setup. Picture attached. The TL3 and TL2 work either sitting in front of TV or better on top of tv via a shelf so they are closer to height of in wall L/R. The TL3 is not a match timbre wise for the 65Rt. The step down TL2, according to Polk support, is however a much better match due to similar tweeters. I'm trying to decide what is more important, better quality sound of TL3 vs better matching TL2. Any thoughts? My other thought is that I may be able to put CSiA4 behind the TV if I move it up a bit. The issue with that is the center tweeter will be blocked by the TV stand. Don't know the significance of that but doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Any thoughts on that one? Pic of tv stand attached as well.
What about wall mounting the TV just a tad higher than it is now, removing the stand and putting the center on the entertainment center? You could hide all the wires going up the wall to the TV in a white cable management track that then could be painted to match the wall.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
mr266 likes this.
Greg Samples is online now  
post #42754 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 12:44 PM
Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Samples View Post
What about wall mounting the TV just a tad higher than it is now, removing the stand and putting the center on the entertainment center? You could hide all the wires going up the wall to the TV in a white cable management track that then could be painted to match the wall.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
Yes that's another option. I asked my wife if she'll be ok with wall mounting and she is thinking about it. As many all decisions have to go through her for aesthetic reasons. Seems like the better looking option to me. Only issue is that the tv is already pretty high as its a tall piece of furniture but a few inches shouldn't matter too much. Also will be another 10-12 inches further from sitting position but probably not a big deal. If she doesn't go for mounting any other thoughts?
confinoj is online now  
post #42755 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 12:51 PM
Member
 
Greg Samples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Yes that's another option. I asked my wife if she'll be ok with wall mounting and she is thinking about it. As many all decisions have to go through her for aesthetic reasons. Seems like the better looking option to me. Only issue is that the tv is already pretty high as its a tall piece of furniture but a few inches shouldn't matter too much. Also will be another 10-12 inches further from sitting position but probably not a big deal. If she doesn't go for mounting any other thoughts?
What about wall mounting at the same height to remove the stand. How high will the center come up on the bottom edge of the TV? With the stand gone it frees up the space for the center.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
Aarghon likes this.
Greg Samples is online now  
post #42756 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aarghon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Making some HT upgrades starting with my front setup. Currently have front L/R in walls, rc55i. The rest of the system is from an older Polk RM-705 set. I decided to replace in walls with 65RTs. Ideally would like the larger 265RT but too big for my wife. Center will be free standing and the issue is space. The matching free standing center is CSiA4. It' just too big for our setup. Picture attached. The TL3 and TL2 work either sitting in front of TV or better on top of tv via a shelf so they are closer to height of in wall L/R. The TL3 is not a match timbre wise for the 65Rt. The step down TL2, according to Polk support, is however a much better match due to similar tweeters. I'm trying to decide what is more important, better quality sound of TL3 vs better matching TL2. Any thoughts? My other thought is that I may be able to put CSiA4 behind the TV if I move it up a bit. The issue with that is the center tweeter will be blocked by the TV stand. Don't know the significance of that but doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Any thoughts on that one? Pic of tv stand attached as well.
Not an expert by any means, but I would think that the reflections from the tweeter being behind the tv stand would hurt dialog and overall clarity and prevent them from being as clear as they should. Think you should go for the better match, since a better speaker sounding to its best while not matching the other speakers will negate the benefit of it being alone and sounding better...

and yes, I think like Greg Samples on that one... Raising the tv with a wall mount could let you have best of both worlds.

Polk Audio LSIM703, Polk Audio LSIM704c, Polk Audio RTI-A1 surrounds
Dual Reaction-Audio BPS212 turbo subwoofers
Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel RMB-1095 power amp
Pioneer Elite n50 network player
Marantz CD6004 cd player, Marantz UD5007 Blu ray player, Modded Rega RP1 turntable
Panasonic Tcl55dt60 led tv,Playstation 3 and a lot of old consoles
Aarghon is offline  
post #42757 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarghon View Post
Not an expert by any means, but I would think that the reflections from the tweeter being behind the tv stand would hurt dialog and overall clarity and prevent them from being as clear as they should. Think you should go for the better match, since a better speaker sounding to its best while not matching the other speakers will negate the benefit of it being alone and sounding better...

and yes, I think like Greg Samples on that one... Raising the tv with a wall mount could let you have best of both worlds.
I also wonder that even if the TL2 has a closer matching tweeter it still doesn't have nearly the frequency range as the 65Rt so will it really be any better or they both just won't match well. I agree wall mounting and getting the csia4 is certainly the best option if I'm allowed. One other concern. As you can see by the pic the in walls are rather high. I do have them mounted upside down so tweeter is on bottom and will do the same with 65rt plus tweeters are aimable. Still the center under the tv is much lower. I've gone back and forth with current center below and above tv and think it probably is better above but that would not be an option with csia4.
confinoj is online now  
post #42758 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 02:25 PM
Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Samples View Post
[
What about wall mounting at the same height to remove the stand. How high will the center come up on the bottom edge of the TV? With the stand gone it frees up the space for the center.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk
Well bottom edge of tv is actually lower than I thought. I think I was remembering to screen. Bottom of tv is only 3.5" and csia4 height is 6 3/4 so option behind tv is out. Wasn't a good one anyway. Leaning towards wall mouthing a bit higher and putting csia4 below it. Anyone see an issue with the big height difference between L/R and center in this setup? I have a denon 1912 avr which does have audessey so maybe that will help?
confinoj is online now  
post #42759 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mr266's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,396
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Well bottom edge of tv is actually lower than I thought. I think I was remembering to screen. Bottom of tv is only 3.5" and csia4 height is 6 3/4 so option behind tv is out. Wasn't a good one anyway. Leaning towards wall mouthing a bit higher and putting csia4 below it. Anyone see an issue with the big height difference between L/R and center in this setup? I have a denon 1912 avr which does have audessey so maybe that will help?
Wall mounting would be my first choice, followed by building a small riser to raise the TV stand and put the Csia4 in front of it.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic SA-HE100 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
mr266 is offline  
post #42760 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AlphaPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Shouldn't be a problem at all. 125W is more than enough at moderate listening levels (say -20dB). When watching movies with 5.1, however, you may experience some clipping on intense scenes with low bass without a subwoofer.

If you are crossing them at 80 Hz or above with a good sub, you should be fine. If you listen anywhere near reference, you'll need an amp with 250W - 300W to power them full range.
I'm at -10 to -8 during movies using a crown amp @300 watts right now cross at 60hz, so the 7008 probably wont cut it for me.

Marantz SR5008 | Polk RTi12 | Polk CSi 3 | Morel surrounds | 3 DIY 12" subs | Inuke 3000 | Crown xls1000 | Onkyo M-282
Monster HTS-2600 | HTPC/Gaming PC | Xbox One | RoKu 3 | Sony BDP-S1100 | Sharp Aquos 60"

2 Channel | Polk RTi12 | Realistic STA-2100 | Marantz AT-6 | Ipod 5th gen classic
AlphaPie is offline  
post #42761 of 42771 Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,099
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPie View Post
I'm at -10 to -8 during movies using a crown amp @300 watts right now cross at 60hz, so the 7008 probably wont cut it for me.
Yeah, I remember now. You probably won't be happy with just the AVR powering them.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Epson 5030UB Projector - Monoprice Multi-format 106" HD Gray screen - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One, and custom DIY media console...
climber07 is online now  
post #42762 of 42771 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ted99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
Wall mounting would be my first choice, followed by building a small riser to raise the TV stand and put the Csia4 in front of it.
I used a plywood top and two 2x8's on the side to make a small platform that fits over my CSiA4 and the TV sits on top. 8" total height increase for the TV. Selling my CSiA4 because I substituted a CSiA6.
mr266 likes this.

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, JVC RS600, Grandview 120" 1.3g curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LsiC and LSiM 706 centers, T-15 RH, Monitor 60 FW, CSiA1 FH, AT DA-44 TM, ED A6t sides
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 on order for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 9.2.6(or better) Pre-pro is available.
Ted99 is offline  
post #42763 of 42771 Unread Yesterday, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 2,213
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Yes that's another option. I asked my wife if she'll be ok with wall mounting and she is thinking about it. As many all decisions have to go through her for aesthetic reasons. Seems like the better looking option to me. Only issue is that the tv is already pretty high as its a tall piece of furniture but a few inches shouldn't matter too much. Also will be another 10-12 inches further from sitting position but probably not a big deal. If she doesn't go for mounting any other thoughts?
Mount the CSi A4 on a shelf on top of the TV with some down angle.





climber07 and mr266 like this.



Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio
Media Room: Polk LSiM705s, LSiM706C, LSiM703s | Rythmik F12SE (x2) | Marantz SR7008 | Parasound Halo P5 | Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-200 | Oppo 105D | Sony HW40ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Duet | 27" iMac|
Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz NR1606 | Emotiva XPA-200 Gen 2 | Samsung UN50JU6500 |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #42764 of 42771 Unread Yesterday, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RobLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Florida Suncoast
Posts: 2,363
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Actually I need something like that isoaccoustic stand to hold up my center, but I'm not quite prepared to spend $100. Presently using four (full) soda cans and a piece of carpet.
lizrussspike and climber07 like this.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk Rti12's, Csi3, Fxi4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs... Bedroom: Lsi9's on an Onkyo TX-8050
RobLee is offline  
post #42765 of 42771 Unread Yesterday, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 892
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Nothing new about the new Polk speaker coming out in the next few weeks?

New24K is online now  
post #42766 of 42771 Unread Today, 11:32 AM
Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I posted this in another thread as well but just following up here with what I decided. So the reason I had not entertained putting a larger/heavier center on top of the TV via a TV shelf (like TL3 is in prior post) is that while the shelves support that weight the TV pedestal on this particular TV is rather flimsy. Even with nothing on top it is not very stable. It's a plasma so it's not light. I would worry about putting a 15Lb speaker on it and then killing one of my kids. I think I found a good alternative that will best solve this scenario. Ordering one of these universal TV stands that mounts to VESA mount with adjustable height.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Tab...tv+stand&psc=1

TV will be much much sturdier and can actually be a little lower than it is now (1.5-2"). I also would not be moving the TV even farther away by mounting on the wall (which would be about 9-10" back). I should be able to comfortably place CSiA4 on top aimed down where it will be in a better position relative to fronts. If for some reason I didn't like it that way this stand will accommodate placing speaker in front of TV as it has an adjustable height. I ordered this stand and CSiA4 and returned TL3.

Last edited by confinoj; Today at 11:37 AM.
confinoj is online now  
post #42767 of 42771 Unread Today, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern NJ & Myrtle Beach area, SC
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread

Pix below of our almost 1 year old set-up of LSiM 703s upfront & 704c center. Now complete with 65" Vizio 4K TV and new RSL Speedwoofer 10S sub that replaced my 20 month old Polk PSW125 (sold on Craigslist).

It's a 5.1 set-up on 1st floor at our SC vacation home. System really rocks for both music & action movies. Two in-ceiling Polk RC80i are used for rear surrounds & Denon S900W AVR.

Upstairs totally different, 5.1.4 Atmos set-up with Yammy A2050 & Parasound 2 channel amp & Chane speakers upfront & 4 RSL in-ceilings

yanks1 is online now  
post #42768 of 42771 Unread Today, 11:39 AM
Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How do you like the RSL 10S? That's what I'm likely going to upgrade to. What size is your room?
confinoj is online now  
post #42769 of 42771 Unread Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern NJ & Myrtle Beach area, SC
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Room is huge; it's an open great room to the kitchen & Dining room. It's plenty of bass, I'm not a bass head & prefer tight & punchy.

That said, I do have an Outlaw Ultra X-12 upstairs that shakes the house during action movies (that's our primary system)
yanks1 is online now  
post #42770 of 42771 Unread Today, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
B T C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lansing, MI via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hi yanks, what stands are you using with the 703s? Do you like them? Do they work well? How tall are they? Would you recommend them? Most people seem to recommend filled steel stands, particularly with the 703s due to their size & weight.
B T C is online now  
post #42771 of 42771 Unread Today, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern NJ & Myrtle Beach area, SC
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Hi BTC; Yes most recommend steel stands. This is our main room so wife wanted wood & they are 24" Sanus stands. I think they are a tad under-weighted for 28 lb. speakers but seem solid to me. Perfect height, puts the 703 tweeters at 36" which matches seated ear level
yanks1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off