Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1438 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1379Likes

post #43111 of 43766 Old 12-22-2016, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Question. Has anyone use non Polk in ceiling speakers for Atmos and had any sound quality issues (i.e. timbre matching etc.)?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43112 of 43766 Old 12-22-2016, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked: 1108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushman311 View Post
Anyone ever dealt with Adorama's customer service? I ordered 2 LSIM 705s, 2 703s, and a 706c, all in Mt Vernon Cherry. Problem is one of the 703s they sent me is black/midnight mahogany. I reallllly want to give the setup a listen, but now I'm going to have to deal with a return/replacement of the 703.
Yes, in fact I just finished dealing with them today, as it happens. They were very easy to deal with.

One of my LSiM703's had a bent grill and they asked me to send in pictures. They then gave me the choice of sending the speaker back for an exchange or accepting a refund of $75. Of course, I accepted the latter, reducing my cost for the pair to $594.98.

And, naturally, the stellar customer service folks at Polk Audio immediately agreed to send me a new speaker grill, no questions asked. So it's a win-win for me.
Methodical_1 and bushman311 like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #43113 of 43766 Old 12-22-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
Question. Has anyone use non Polk in ceiling speakers for Atmos and had any sound quality issues (i.e. timbre matching etc.)?

Thanks...
I have not, and I would advise to match your ceiling speakers to the listener-level speakers if possible. However, as long as you are using a decent calibration system such as Audyssey and the ceiling speakers are not radically different in design it should not represent a serious problem.

There are a ton of good in-ceiling speakers at reasonable prices so you shouldn't have trouble finding the ones that fit your needs (just make sure that whatever you choose is full-range and can keep up with the rest of your setup). But Polk also offers lots of options; is there a particular reason why you want to look for a different manufacturer?

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

post #43114 of 43766 Old 12-22-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread

I have older RC80I in one set-up as in-ceiling rear surround speakers & like them a lot. And in my 5.1.4 Atmos set-up have in ceiling 4 RSL C34e and love them, they rock with music and also movies of course. They were designed first as a music speaker

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050 w/Emotiva XPA-2 (Gen 3)
Revel F206 fronts & M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & RSL C34e in-ceilings
Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Sub10
post #43115 of 43766 Old 12-22-2016, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
I just want you to know I feel the same way.

I will let you use the red and blue crayons then. I WONT SHARE the Yellow one and YOU CANT MAKE ME!
I guess there's a reason you didn't tag me !?
post #43116 of 43766 Old 12-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
I have not, and I would advise to match your ceiling speakers to the listener-level speakers if possible. However, as long as you are using a decent calibration system such as Audyssey and the ceiling speakers are not radically different in design it should not represent a serious problem.

There are a ton of good in-ceiling speakers at reasonable prices so you shouldn't have trouble finding the ones that fit your needs (just make sure that whatever you choose is full-range and can keep up with the rest of your setup). But Polk also offers lots of options; is there a particular reason why you want to look for a different manufacturer?
Thanks for the response. I looked at Polk's MC and RC brand, but wanted speakers with a built in angle as they will be installed in a ceiling just under 8'. I know you can angle the Polk's tweeters, but I wanted these type instead. I was going to buy the RSLs, but they wont' have stock until sometimes in January. I ended up buying the Infinity ERS 610s. I got four of them for $70 a piece just before they jacked the prices back up. I have the Denon 4300 with the Audyssey calibration system and figured since all the surrounds are crossed over at 80 it should be no problem. I was just curious to see if folks have mixed in non Polk speakers for Atmos and their experience. I tested the speakers with some music (Miles Davis) and some other music and they sound great.
post #43117 of 43766 Old 12-23-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I looked at Polk's MC and RC brand, but wanted speakers with a built in angle as they will be installed in a ceiling just under 8'. I know you can angle the Polk's tweeters, but I wanted these type instead. I was going to buy the RSLs, but they wont' have stock until sometimes in January. I ended up buying the Infinity ERS 610s. I got four of them for $70 a piece just before they jacked the prices back up. I have the Denon 4300 with the Audyssey calibration system and figured since all the surrounds are crossed over at 80 it should be no problem. I was just curious to see if folks have mixed in non Polk speakers for Atmos and their experience. I tested the speakers with some music (Miles Davis) and some other music and they sound great.
Plenty of AVS posters have mixed in different speaker brands in their immersive setups and reported good results. And why not; there's no requirement to maintain brand-uniformity.

IDK what other speakers you are using, but the main thing is that you are happy with the way the ERS-610 sounds in your system. I will note, however, that those speakers don't dig very deep (note my previous recommendation regarding full-range performance) compared with virtually any of the Polk in-ceiling speakers (take just one mid-range example, the Polk Audio V60). But you got a great price and there's no reason to second-guess yourself as long as you are pleased with the results.
yanks1 likes this.

post #43118 of 43766 Old 12-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Plenty of AVS posters have mixed in different speaker brands in their immersive setups and reported good results. And why not; there's no requirement to maintain brand-uniformity.

IDK what other speakers you are using, but the main thing is that you are happy with the way the ERS-610 sounds in your system. I will note, however, that those speakers don't dig very deep (note my previous recommendation regarding full-range performance) compared with virtually any of the Polk in-ceiling speakers (take just one mid-range example, the Polk Audio V60). But you got a great price and there's no reason to second-guess yourself as long as you are pleased with the results.
I thought the same about the full range, but figured if the ceiling speakers are bass managed at 80hz like all the other speakers this should be no concern with regard to deep bass, correct, as everything below 80 is going to the sub. I don't expect lots, if any, real bass from in ceiling speakers for Atmos.

Below are my Polk speakers.

Front: Rti 10
Center: CSi-5
Surrounds: FXi-30 (x4)

Last edited by Methodical_1; 12-24-2016 at 05:13 AM.
post #43119 of 43766 Old 12-23-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 415
I have Polk RC80I in ceiling in 5.1 set-up and crossed over at 100 Hz with my sub. They rock & have rich-punch bass for music & movies. Great value in ceiling speaker in my view

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050 w/Emotiva XPA-2 (Gen 3)
Revel F206 fronts & M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & RSL C34e in-ceilings
Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Sub10
post #43120 of 43766 Old 12-24-2016, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I have Polk RC80I in ceiling in 5.1 set-up and crossed over at 100 Hz with my sub. They rock & have rich-punch bass for music & movies. Great value in ceiling speaker in my view
I have 4 of those in my garage and like the sound, even though I get vibration from some of the crap in the garage.
yanks1 likes this.
post #43121 of 43766 Old 12-24-2016, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought the same about the full range, but figured if the ceiling speakers are bass managed at 80hz like all the other speakers this should be no concern with regard to deep bass, correct, as everything below 80 is going to the sub. I don't expect lots, if any, real bass from in ceiling speakers for Atmos.

Below are my Polk speakers.

Front: Rti 10
Center: CSi-5
Surrounds: FXi-30 (x4)
I subscribe to the outlook that the height speakers should be just as capable as your other surrounds. And, although your AVR-X4300H features the excellent Audyssey MultEQ XT32, room calibration can't increase the performance capability of a speaker and can only go so far in compensating for disparate component materials.

Given the other speakers in your setup I would think that yank1's RC-80i's would be a better match with your RT-series listener-level seven (as would the V80's I mentioned, or the 70-RT among others). But if you have already installed the Infinity's (and you like the way they sound) I wouldn't sweat it.

A good test of your setup (again, assuming you have already installed the Infinity's) would be to play some source material with front-to-back and side-to-side panning, such as the Dolby Atmos demo "Helicopter." If the sounds appear to pan seemlessly then you've done yourself proud .

post #43122 of 43766 Old 12-24-2016, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I subscribe to the outlook that the height speakers should be just as capable as your other surrounds. And, although your AVR-X4300H features the excellent Audyssey MultEQ XT32, room calibration can't increase the performance capability of a speaker and can only go so far in compensating for disparate component materials.

Given the other speakers in your setup I would think that yank1's RC-80i's would be a better match with your RT-series listener-level seven (as would the V80's I mentioned, or the 70-RT among others). But if you have already installed the Infinity's (and you like the way they sound) I wouldn't sweat it.

A good test of your setup (again, assuming you have already installed the Infinity's) would be to play some source material with front-to-back and side-to-side panning, such as the Dolby Atmos demo "Helicopter." If the sounds appear to pan seemlessly then you've done yourself proud .
Thanks again. I have not installed yet, but will within the next week or two. Where can I get the Dolby Atmos demo?
post #43123 of 43766 Old 12-24-2016, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again. I have not installed yet, but will within the next week or two. Where can I get the Dolby Atmos demo?
The Dolby Atmos demo clips are contained on the Blu-ray discs that Dolby has handed out at various exhibitions and industry gatherings. These discs are not for sale on the retail market, but you can buy them (often at jacked-up prices) from third parties such as this one on eBay. (Note that I can not vouch for the seller and have no way of verifying whether the disc he is selling is authentic, but the price seems reasonable.)

The helicopter demo is included on the 2015 demo disc. I have a copy of this clip, but I don't recall where I got it--probably from someone who had posted it on the Atmos HT thread. You can find eight other Atmos clips available for free download at Demo World. Clicking on the demo title (i.e., "Amaze (Lossless)") will take you to the download page, where you must click on the Dolby Atmos graphic at the center of the page to open the download dialog box where you will want to choose to save the file to your computer and then transfer it to whatever physical media (e.g., thumb drive) you wish to play it on. Note, however, that you must use an external player, since your AVR's USB input will not recognize an M2TS file.

Since you have not installed the Infinity speakers yet you might want to consider that the cut-out they require (11-3/8") is exceptionally large and could therefore make it difficult if you decide to swap them for a different speaker at some point down the line. The RC80i, e.g., is about two inches smaller in diameter and in depth. I mention this just in case you have not firmly decided to stick with this particular speaker in your current setup.

post #43124 of 43766 Old 12-24-2016, 07:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Can anyone comment here about using pioneer elites with mcacc over d&m with XT or XT32 with their RTiA line? I'm not happy with the way XT sucks the bass out of my speakers and sounds a little muddy.

7.2 w/front wides - Pioneer Elite SC-85 - Polk Audio RTi12/CSi3/RT25i - DIY Dual 12" subs/Behringer Inuke3000 - Monster Power 2500
Sharp Aquos 60" - Xbox One - Sony BRP - Plex Server
post #43125 of 43766 Old 12-24-2016, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, I opened my LSiM 705s today and the base of one of them is half shattered. I just can't win on these damn things.
post #43126 of 43766 Old 12-25-2016, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Dolby Atmos demo clips are contained on the Blu-ray discs that Dolby has handed out at various exhibitions and industry gatherings. These discs are not for sale on the retail market, but you can buy them (often at jacked-up prices) from third parties such as this one on eBay. (Note that I can not vouch for the seller and have no way of verifying whether the disc he is selling is authentic, but the price seems reasonable.)

The helicopter demo is included on the 2015 demo disc. I have a copy of this clip, but I don't recall where I got it--probably from someone who had posted it on the Atmos HT thread. You can find eight other Atmos clips available for free download at Demo World. Clicking on the demo title (i.e., "Amaze (Lossless)") will take you to the download page, where you must click on the Dolby Atmos graphic at the center of the page to open the download dialog box where you will want to choose to save the file to your computer and then transfer it to whatever physical media (e.g., thumb drive) you wish to play it on. Note, however, that you must use an external player, since your AVR's USB input will not recognize an M2TS file.

Since you have not installed the Infinity speakers yet you might want to consider that the cut-out they require (11-3/8") is exceptionally large and could therefore make it difficult if you decide to swap them for a different speaker at some point down the line. The RC80i, e.g., is about two inches smaller in diameter and in depth. I mention this just in case you have not firmly decided to stick with this particular speaker in your current setup.
Thanks again for the feedback. I am going to stick with the speakers even though they are pretty big. I tend to keep speakers for very long time (existing Polks are over 12 years old now) and hopefully these won't die on me. I will keep the cut outs just in case though, that way at least I can patch the holes, haha!

Thanks for the link and info on Atmos demos.
post #43127 of 43766 Old 12-26-2016, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
The Dolby Atmos demo clips are contained on the Blu-ray discs that Dolby has handed out at various exhibitions and industry gatherings. These discs are not for sale on the retail market, but you can buy them (often at jacked-up prices) ... I have a copy of this clip, but I don't recall where I got it...
One fell into my lap... I bought an open box BRP and it had the Atmos demo disc in it. I don't have an Atmos setup so I never played the disc, and not even sure where I put it.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
post #43128 of 43766 Old 12-26-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
One fell into my lap... I bought an open box BRP and it had the Atmos demo disc in it. I don't have an Atmos setup so I never played the disc, and not even sure where I put it.
Find it and you will quickly become the most popular guy on these threads.

post #43129 of 43766 Old 12-30-2016, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
post #43130 of 43766 Old 12-30-2016, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 35
post #43131 of 43766 Old 01-03-2017, 11:39 PM

Liked: 12
My current 7.1 configuration is:

lsim705 - fronts
lsim706c - center
lsim702f/x - surrounds and backs

I'm looking to add 4 ceiling speakers for atmos, and I'm debating the merits of keeping all Polk vs. just getting something cheaper. The Polk eBay store has some 700ls refurbished for $209 each, or around $800 for 4 after a 10% rebate. Does anyone have a similar 7.1.4 setup that can comment on how it sounds? I'm really happy with my 7.1 setup, but I know I'll have to change out my receiver and add an amp once I pull the trigger on the speakers. With all that future investment on the horizon, is there an alternative that may save me a few bucks but still sound just as good?

Thanks in advance for any help, I don't know much about this stuff but I'm trying to learn. All of this immersive audio stuff sounds great in showrooms, but is complicated when trying to set it up in my own home.
post #43132 of 43766 Old 01-04-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirdie4me View Post
My current 7.1 configuration is:

lsim705 - fronts
lsim706c - center
lsim702f/x - surrounds and backs

I'm looking to add 4 ceiling speakers for atmos, and I'm debating the merits of keeping all Polk vs. just getting something cheaper. The Polk eBay store has some 700ls refurbished for $209 each, or around $800 for 4 after a 10% rebate. Does anyone have a similar 7.1.4 setup that can comment on how it sounds? I'm really happy with my 7.1 setup, but I know I'll have to change out my receiver and add an amp once I pull the trigger on the speakers. With all that future investment on the horizon, is there an alternative that may save me a few bucks but still sound just as good?

Thanks in advance for any help, I don't know much about this stuff but I'm trying to learn. All of this immersive audio stuff sounds great in showrooms, but is complicated when trying to set it up in my own home.
That's a nice setup; you didn't specify the SW, but I assume it is equally capable.

With such a nice system I wouldn't try to cut corners on the overhead speakers. Those 700-LS's with their ring-radiator tweeters will be the perfect complement and, if installed correctly, should provide you with a seamless immersive bubble. The $200 price tag is not so bad; sure, you could get a competent alternative speaker for about half as much and save perhaps $400 but if you are concerned about the budget you'd be better served looking to score some savings on the AVR and amp than on the speakers. I do not doubt for a second that you will consider the $800 money well spent once you have your 7.1.4 up and running.

Note, however, that, while the 700-LS has a relatively small cut-out, it is very deep (8-1/2"). Make sure that you have sufficient clearance in your ceiling for the speaker and any backer-box or other insulating enclosure.

Check out also the recent discussion on these points with Methodical_1 in this thread just above.

post #43133 of 43766 Old 01-05-2017, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just popping in to add something about the Polk S50's. I picked them up to add as my surrounds, moving to a 7.1 setup from a 5.1. I currently have JBL S310's up front, and JBL S36's as surround back. The surround backs are driven from my Integra 40.3 amp, and the fronts and Polks are driven from a separate Marantz 5 channel amp. And an SVS sub.

I have to say, I was very surprised and excited to hear to S50's in action. I really did not think I would get that much 'more' of everything from those Polks. Maybe the bass was more surprising than anything for a surround speaker, but wow, I am very pleased with them. The down-firing bass made placement easier for me also. I did NOT get a chance to listen to them before purchase, but I did others that I was considering and made a leap of faith (hoping not to return them). I was familiar with other Polks and liked the sound, so it wasn't going to be a giant leap..lol. The S55's would of been too much/big for me in my setup, and definitely the S50's is more than I was even expecting, but they are doing a damn good job. It created that permagrin of 'oh yeah, that is BIG difference'. That giddy feeling you get to just start throwing movies at your system to see how much you have been missing....lol. That is what I wanted, and that is what I got. I had been on the fence about adding some towers as surrounds for months, and now I'm kicking myself as should of done it much much sooner. They paired well with my JBL S series.

If I was setting up from the start, I would definitely consider S60's as my mains. I need to get these broken in a little, but as far as sound for HT, they meet my needs and exceed my expectations. And the spouse, the one that doesn't notice anything "new", was truly pleased and excited about the additional "sound" we get in the home theater now. When she comments in a positive way, it's a bonus good feeling you know you both will enjoy down the road.
christoofar likes this.
post #43134 of 43766 Old 01-05-2017, 12:25 PM

Liked: 2
Any RT70 or RT90 in-ceiling speaker owners? I'm contemplating getting rid of my towers and moving to one of these for 7.2 setup. Never owned a pair of ceiling mount so I have some reservations with everything I have seen on these forums.
post #43135 of 43766 Old 01-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalther View Post
Any RT70 or RT90 in-ceiling speaker owners? I'm contemplating getting rid of my towers and moving to one of these for 7.2 setup. Never owned a pair of ceiling mount so I have some reservations with everything I have seen on these forums.
I have Four 70-RTs in my setup, but it is 7.2.4, so I am only using them as Atmos speakers. Not sure how they would perform as the main speakers. I haven't had any issues with them, and they sound good for how I use them.

My Theater Build: The Underground Apolkalypse Theater
Marantz SR7010, Monolith 7 Amplifier, Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Emotiva XPS1
Atmos 7.2.4 - Polk 2x RTiA9, CSiA6, 2x FXiA6, 2x RTIA3, 4x 70-RT, Sunfire 2x - HRS-12 12" Subwoofers
Epson 5040ub, Oppo UHD-203 Player, Xbox One, Roku Premiere+, HP ENVY 750-247c HTPC
Royal Racks 21U Metal Racks, 2x - Furman 2400 AR 20A Power Conditioners
post #43136 of 43766 Old 01-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The helicopter demo is included on the 2015 demo disc. I have a copy of this clip, but I don't recall where I got it--probably from someone who had posted it on the Atmos HT thread. You can find eight other Atmos clips available for free download at Demo World. Clicking on the demo title (i.e., "Amaze (Lossless)") will take you to the download page, where you must click on the Dolby Atmos graphic at the center of the page to open the download dialog box where you will want to choose to save the file to your computer and then transfer it to whatever physical media (e.g., thumb drive) you wish to play it on. Note, however, that you must use an external player, since your AVR's USB input will not recognize an M2TS file...
Are there any special software or anything needed to put these demos on a dvd?

Thanks
post #43137 of 43766 Old 01-08-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Are there any special software or anything needed to put these demos on a dvd?
I just downloaded them from the web site to my PC's HDD and copied them from there to a thumb drive, which seems to me to be the easiest and most practical way to do it assuming your Blu-ray or other media player has a USB port.

Otherwise, I imagine you would only need the proper CD-burning software on your computer to transfer them to a CD.

post #43138 of 43766 Old 01-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just downloaded them from the web site to my PC's HDD and copied them from there to a thumb drive, which seems to me to be the easiest and most practical way to do it assuming your Blu-ray or other media player has a USB port.

Otherwise, I imagine you would only need the proper CD-burning software on your computer to transfer them to a CD.
Cool. I thought there may be some special needs. I should be good to go.

Thanks

Update: This was my facial expression after running through Atmos and DTS:X demos and movies.

The Infinity speakers are playing well with my Polk speakers. Audyssey has them crossed over at 100hz. Both surround mixes does a great job of putting the listener in the mix. although I've only watch one DTS:X encoded movie. The surround mixes seemed to have waken up all my surround speakers (7.1.4) and made me realize that the new mixes are more than just about the height speakers, but all of them working in tandem, however, the rain fall, water droplets and crackling of thunder and other effects from above is a sweet addition to the surround sound. Below are the movies I've watched and have enjoyed so far. I'm a happy customer. Next up on the upgrade front is a 2nd SVS PB2000 sub.

Atmos:

Madmax
Everest
American Sniper
Sicario
Enchanted Kingdom
San Andreas
Demo downloads
Gravity (on the way)
Games of Throne (eventually)

DTS:X:

Last Witchhunter
Demo downloads

Thanks again.

Last edited by Methodical_1; 01-12-2017 at 03:14 AM.
post #43139 of 43766 Old 01-12-2017, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Heights and widess are directional front stage audio tracks, when they are encoded separately. Bipole/dipole speakers are specifically designed for surrounds. If you need specifics and proof, Audyssey, THX, and Polk Audio give the same advice. Never use dipole speakers for front height or wide. They must be direct radiators.

Just because you see people using them doesn't mean they know what they are doing. I know a lot of people who think Bose is the best quality sound you can get... If you get my meaning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
I agree that the di/bi's won't hold a candle to towers or bookies at wide, but what about heights? Check out this speaker and what it was made for; http://www.gspr.com/atlantic/1400z.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
The reason I challenge this issue on the height speaker is; I've used wides, heights and rears, along with the other five.

Heights and rears has seen me using bookshelves from satellites to M40's. The sound was "okay". I've since aborted the height configuration, and currently using a tower in the rear, what a difference it makes over the bookie....way more sound. So in this application, more speaker, more sound.

For surround, I've used bookies and towers, lots of sound, but when I used the bi/di, I got even more sound, contributed to the double tweeter. My rears will eventually change to the di/bi as well.

This all said, wouldn't it stand true, that for overhead ambient sound, a double tweeter would provide more sound?

According to Polk, the setting for surround recommends Dipole, as for the rear, they recommend Bipole, couldn't it stand to reason that the height could also be set to Bipole and have a similar dispersion of sound since proper placement would be outside the mains 45 degrees from the center channel?

Guys,

Waking this back up! I have the RTiA9 pair and CSiA6 up front, and I'm looking at doing this very thing with some pre-existing Polk Bi/Di FXi5 models. I've bought, and will be flush mounting 65RTs for side surrounds (to save space in narrow attic expandable), and want to use my previous FXi5s for front heights. Logic says that it could be a pretty good (and interesting) option!

Also, one reason I'm heavily considering this is because of the angle, and being able to flush mount the back to a sloped ceiling in the theater room. The woofer and tweeter on one side would be more "directionally" aimed at the listening position. I'm in the planning stage, and almost to the build stage (next couple months).

Thanks to anyone for any more input on this....

RM

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Oppo 203 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite USB / Furman Conditioner / Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #43140 of 43766 Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman79 View Post
Guys,

Waking this back up! I have the RTiA9 pair and CSiA6 up front, and I'm looking at doing this very thing with some pre-existing Polk Bi/Di FXi5 models. I've bought, and will be flush mounting 65RTs for side surrounds (to save space in narrow attic expandable), and want to use my previous FXi5s for front heights. Logic says that it could be a pretty good (and interesting) option!

Also, one reason I'm heavily considering this is because of the angle, and being able to flush mount the back to a sloped ceiling in the theater room. The woofer and tweeter on one side would be more "directionally" aimed at the listening position. I'm in the planning stage, and almost to the build stage (next couple months).

Thanks to anyone for any more input on this....

RM
Wow, this conversation between Dave and myself was awhile ago

Best formula, experiment with what you have

Having A9's as rears was pretty "wow", with the power going to the woofers, there was no shortage of bass!

What we have now, FXiA6 (Di/Bi pole) on the sides and the rears. When heights are finally employed, still not sure if they will be another pair of FXiA6 or the RTiA3.

Be sure to know, before I make that purchase, I'll try a set of FXiA6's in that place to see.

Bottom line, what you use for heights should do you well, but for sides, nothing beats the di/bi pole......IMO
Ronman79 and climber07 like this.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page