Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1441 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1453Likes

post #43201 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
I knew you've been struggling for many years my brother. I can relate to the damage the prescribed steroids can do. With years of injections to battle chronic pain, the long term effect goes the other way............the last injection I received did nothing at all but give me a couple of days off of work
Yup, been there.

Now don't you have some mail to deliver or some thinking about a retirement buyout package to do?

My Setup | FS: Salamander Synergy 303, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Sanus UF22 Speaker Stands, Nintendo Wii, 5 channel Polk LSi system (all threads here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43202 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Yup, been there.

Now don't you have some mail to deliver or some thinking about a retirement buyout package to do?
Haha, fixin to bend over and tell the P.O. just what and where to kiss

Retirement may not be that far away

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #43203 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Haha, fixin to bend over and tell the P.O. just what and where to kiss

Retirement may not be that far away
So you only need to walk to YOUR mailbox with the mail... and sit on your porch all day yelling at the kids to get off your lawn....

Although if you relocate to TX, you may be yelling at them to stop THROWING your yard since it will be a rock garden lol...

My Setup | FS: Salamander Synergy 303, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Sanus UF22 Speaker Stands, Nintendo Wii, 5 channel Polk LSi system (all threads here)
Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #43204 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry to say but Ive got you beat. Osteoporosis in my entire spine and hips (from years of prescribed steroids) and that's the start....
I knew you've been struggling for many years my brother. I can relate to the damage the prescribed steroids can do. With years of injections to battle chronic pain, the long term effect goes the other way............the last injection I received did nothing at all but give me a couple of days off of work

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja76 View Post
Yeah of was talking about the newer ones, the LSIM. They are expensive as hell!

Haha the A9 eh? Lol I doubt I have the power to push those things. I'm running a Yamaha rx1060
Garnuts gave a well overall feel for both series.

While I admit, I feel no need to change from the RTiA series for theater, I run a pair of 703's for 2ch. And, like Garnuts also mentioned, I got mine on the family/friends deal, buy one get one. Unless you're nice and rich, that's the best way to go if you want into the LSiM series.

As far as the A9's go, yes, it's a good idea to have power behind them. 1) if you're using the whole tower, those woofers eat up power like the shark on Jaws. 2) I found that if you put enough power behind them, you can smooth out the harshness (I've gotten so much heat for this statement )

I did an A/B/C comparison of my A9's, I used my receiver (at that time 135wpc x 2), an EMO XPA-3 (200wpc) and XPA-2 (300wpc).

The material was from Chicago's "best of" double CD, I found an intense use of their brass section, so it would be so harsh through the A9's, that a fly on the wall would explode!!!

Comparison A (AVR) = guilty as charged, comp B (200wpc) = no change, comp C (300wpc) = ahhhhh, that's better, much smoother..........either that, or that would explain the strange fluid leaking out of both ears

This is something I had discovered much earlier when the new amp was originally installed, and then later confirmed through the back to back. The ear can hear a difference.

Now if you're using a powerful sub and run the A9's small and just use the upper section AND you're doing mostly movies, you're generally good to go without external amplification, just don't blast it

And then one day down the road, you can add the amp, DO IT!

And if you're listening to music, be confident, just be careful around Chicago CDs
I don't know just how powerful my sub is, but it gets the job done! I'm currently running a pair of older yamaha towers on "small" and it seems to work well. In fact, all are set to small. If I go A7 or A9, I definitely will have to keep that set to small. Do you think setting the a7 or a9 to small is wasting a large amount of their potential? I figured keeping the lower frequencys strictly on the sub would be best.

Also, running a separate amp for the front three gets costly right? 300 wpc for around a grand? Starts making my wallet scream at me.
post #43205 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you only need to walk to YOUR mailbox with the mail... and sit on your porch all day yelling at the kids to get off your lawn....

Although if you relocate to TX, you may be yelling at them to stop THROWING your yard since it will be a rock garden lol...
Now THAT made me laugh

Look here wise guy, we have more than just rock in TX............we have cactus too

Quote:
I don't know just how powerful my sub is, but it gets the job done! I'm currently running a pair of older yamaha towers on "small" and it seems to work well. In fact, all are set to small. If I go A7 or A9, I definitely will have to keep that set to small. Do you think setting the a7 or a9 to small is wasting a large amount of their potential? I figured keeping the lower frequencys strictly on the sub would be best.

Also, running a separate amp for the front three gets costly right? 300 wpc for around a grand? Starts making my wallet scream at me.
You got it going on man. Sounds like you're tweaking your system to get the best out of it!

The great debate............is it a waste or not?? Check this out, when I discovered how much more sound you get using a tower vs bookshelf speaker for the wide channel, I debated....another A9? A7? maybe just the A5???

I went with my gut and got another pair of A9's...........any remorse??? NONE!

The wide channel offers more than just a wide configuration, during movie scores, the mains and the wides are used, essentially doubling your front stage.

Is it a waste to just set them to small?? Not a chance! I chose the A9 specifically for it's top end. No other speaker in the Polk lineup has one like it....2 midrange drivers coupled with the tweeter and all three housed in their own compartment separate from the wolfs.

The A9 IMO is a very capable speaker and versatile as well. I've been without my full set up for way too long now, but in the not too distant future, I'll have it back once again, and I have to tell you, when I had my (then) 7.2 with wides, the sound was nothing short of amazing.

My oldest stepdaughter would always bring her friends home after school to "check out" the system. I'd gladly do demos for the kids and the responses were always the same....."wow, this is way better than the theater".............yeah, can't wait to have that set up back again, only now, with a second set of FXiA 6's, I'll be able to run a 9.2

Costly to amp your front stage?? Yes, but what about home theater isn't? My recommendation......(and from our dialog I'm almost certain you're already there), set goals, budget and plan wisely, stick to your goals, don't try to build your H.T. overnight, and eventually, you'll have what you want, and the only thing left to do is work on placement, cables, room treatments, and most of all, enjoy what you have!!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #43206 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now THAT made me laugh
What can I say. I'm here simply to provide comedic relief, which at best I do .5% of the time

Quote:
Look here wise guy, we have more than just rock in TX............we have cactus too
Yeah but your cheap so you will only get one, which if I am right is cacti

post #43207 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What can I say. I'm here simply to provide comedic relief, which at best I do .5% of the time

Yeah but your cheap so you will only get one, which if I am right is cacti
You are correct young man, it is cacti however is very cheap in TX, so I will purchase two!

Set up:
post #43208 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
You are correct young man, it is cacti however is very cheap in TX, so I will purchase two!
Going dual is always better

Geoff4RFC likes this.

Living Room: Denon X4000, XPA-5, Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, RTiA3-wides, FXiA4, OWM3, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5030, VApex 92”, Sony XBR9 52”, PS3, Xbox 360, Darbee, Harmony 1.
Bedroom: Denon X2000, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, Sony XBR-55X850B, Sony BPD-S590, Xbox 360, RPi2-RasPlex, Darbee, Harmony 510.
Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors, Harmony 610.
post #43209 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 03:25 PM

[QUOTE=Geoff4RFC;49998809]
Quote:

Quote:

You got it going on man. Sounds like you're tweaking your system to get the best out of it!

The great debate............is it a waste or not?? Check this out, when I discovered how much more sound you get using a tower vs bookshelf speaker for the wide channel, I debated....another A9? A7? maybe just the A5???

I went with my gut and got another pair of A9's...........any remorse??? NONE!

The wide channel offers more than just a wide configuration, during movie scores, the mains and the wides are used, essentially doubling your front stage.

Is it a waste to just set them to small?? Not a chance! I chose the A9 specifically for it's top end. No other speaker in the Polk lineup has one like it....2 midrange drivers coupled with the tweeter and all three housed in their own compartment separate from the wolfs.

The A9 IMO is a very capable speaker and versatile as well. I've been without my full set up for way too long now, but in the not too distant future, I'll have it back once again, and I have to tell you, when I had my (then) 7.2 with wides, the sound was nothing short of amazing.

My oldest stepdaughter would always bring her friends home after school to "check out" the system. I'd gladly do demos for the kids and the responses were always the same....."wow, this is way better than the theater".............yeah, can't wait to have that set up back again, only now, with a second set of FXiA 6's, I'll be able to run a 9.2

Costly to amp your front stage?? Yes, but what about home theater isn't? My recommendation......(and from our dialog I'm almost certain you're already there), set goals, budget and plan wisely, stick to your goals, don't try to build your H.T. overnight, and eventually, you'll have what you want, and the only thing left to do is work on placement, cables, room treatments, and most of all, enjoy what you have!!
Haha damn, I wish I had a room to even use the wide channels, let alone put towers there!

It's true, nothing is cheap. I take that back. Those banana plugs were. That's about it.

I guess I shouldn't bitch too much. I bought an OLED, so I shouldn't be surprised that matching the audio quality to the video quality would be costly. Now I've saved the A9's to my amazon list to watch the pricing. Let's see how this goes. Wanna sell your old ones?! ?
post #43210 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 04:14 PM

[quote=fastninja76;50006353]
Quote:

Haha damn, I wish I had a room to even use the wide channels, let alone put towers there!

It's true, nothing is cheap. I take that back. Those banana plugs were. That's about it.

I guess I shouldn't bitch too much. I bought an OLED, so I shouldn't be surprised that matching the audio quality to the video quality would be costly. Now I've saved the A9's to my amazon list to watch the pricing. Let's see how this goes. Wanna sell your old ones?! ?
Newegg has open box A9's for $525: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16882290159R

If you open a Newegg credit card account, you get 12 months no interest financing (which you can use on regular priced products too).

You can also keep your eye on Polk's eBay site where they sell their reconditioned products. I've purchased Rti A1's, and A3's from there and they look and perform like new. Right now they don't have any A7's or A9's though.

http://stores.ebay.com/Polk-Audio-Di..._pgn=1&_ipg=48

You would probably be very happy with A7's, but if you are like me you would always wonder about the next step up!

I run my A9's small with the crossover at 40 or 60 for movies and tv, but I'll run them full in 2-channel mode for music sometimes. They have better bass than many low to mid range subs

Warning!!! The more time you spend on this forum, the more money you will spend

You're peeking down the AV rabbit hole and once you fall in there is no getting out Ever hear of 'Upgradeitis', I think you are already infected !

I was perfectly happy with my 5.1 system I bought in the late nineties until I found this damn forum in 2009. $20,000+ later there is still AV gear I 'think' I need

Living Room: Denon X4000, XPA-5, Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, RTiA3-wides, FXiA4, OWM3, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5030, VApex 92”, Sony XBR9 52”, PS3, Xbox 360, Darbee, Harmony 1.
Bedroom: Denon X2000, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, Sony XBR-55X850B, Sony BPD-S590, Xbox 360, RPi2-RasPlex, Darbee, Harmony 510.
Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors, Harmony 610.

Last edited by garnuts; 01-18-2017 at 04:38 PM.
post #43211 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Polk RTiA9 Vs KEF Q900

I am wondering if someone had any comparison among these two speakers. I will be using for 70% movies, 30% music and TV. What is your recommended set? Emotiva xpa5 will be used along with Yamaha A2000 to drive these speakers, room size 14x18 and ceiling is 8ft high.

Also Cia6 vs Q600 central channel as they are critical for HT.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Hannzz; 01-18-2017 at 05:02 PM.
post #43212 of 44011 Old 01-18-2017, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=fastninja76;50006353]
Quote:

Nice score on the OLED!............sell my A9's? uh....no I think I bought my second pair within a year of my first, maybe sooner.

I once listed my 7.2 RTiA / Epik Empires on CL in an effort to upgrade to the then brand new on the market LSiM series. Well that never panned out, so I am quite content with my gear........however one day, I've been considering on upgrading "just" my center to the LSiM 706.........and already owning a pair of 703's..........nah, best leave that monster alone

[quote=garnuts;50007809]
Quote:

Newegg has open box A9's for $525: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16882290159R

If you open a Newegg credit card account, you get 12 months no interest financing (which you can use on regular priced products too).

You can also keep your eye on Polk's eBay site where they sell their reconditioned products. I've purchased Rti A1's, and A3's from there and they look and perform like new. Right now they don't have any A7's or A9's though.

You would probably be very happy with A7's, but if you are like me you would always wonder about the next step up!

I run my A9's small with the crossover at 40 or 60 for movies and tv, but I'll run them full in 2-channel mode for music sometimes. They have better bass than many low to mid range subs

You're peeking down the AV rabbit hole and once you fall in there is no getting out Ever hear of 'Upgradeitis', I think you are already infected !

I was perfectly happy with my 5.1 system I bought in the late nineties until I found this damn forum in 2009. $20,000+ later there is still AV gear I 'think' I need

Once again, all well said! Great price on the A9's through the egg. I've also done "open box" and "refurbs" and I concur, you'd never know they weren't brand new or untouched.

Another find point you mentioned, this IS the place where other members can and will gladly and easily spend your money, in some cases, faster than you can make it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannzz View Post
Polk RTiA9 Vs KEF Q900

I am wondering if someone had any comparison among these two speakers. I will be using for 70% movies, 30% music and TV. What is your recommended set? Emotiva xpa5 will be used along with Yamaha A2000 to drive these speakers, room size 14x18 and ceiling is 8ft high.

Also Cia6 vs Q600 central channel as they are critical for HT.

Thanks for your input.
One of our "Polkie" buddys from back in the day, Jason, I do believe he went from the A9 to the Q900, that would be your best bet, but I don't think he's posted for quite some time. And I'm afraid I don't recall his findings. Sorry sir.

Set up:
post #43213 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 94
[quote=garnuts;50007809]
Quote:

[quote=Geoff4RFC;50009753][quote=fastninja76;50006353]

Nice score on the OLED!............sell my A9's? uh....no I think I bought my second pair within a year of my first, maybe sooner.

I once listed my 7.2 RTiA / Epik Empires on CL in an effort to upgrade to the then brand new on the market LSiM series. Well that never panned out, so I am quite content with my gear........however one day, I've been considering on upgrading "just" my center to the LSiM 706.........and already owning a pair of 703's..........nah, best leave that monster alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post

Once again, all well said! Great price on the A9's through the egg. I've also done "open box" and "refurbs" and I concur, you'd never know they weren't brand new or untouched.

Another find point you mentioned, this IS the place where other members can and will gladly and easily spend your money, in some cases, faster than you can make it

One of our "Polkie" buddys from back in the day, Jason, I do believe he went from the A9 to the Q900, that would be your best bet, but I don't think he's posted for quite some time. And I'm afraid I don't recall his findings. Sorry sir.
You guys were lucky, One of my Rti 12's was open box and came badly damaged. Polk came to the rescue and replaced all the damaged parts except the cabinet. Polk ebay store on the other hand was the exact opposite. Box and speaker arrived undamaged.

Living Room: Denon X4300H, Crown XLS1500 & 1000(3). 7.1.4: Polk RTi12, CSi5, FXIA4, RTiA1, Polk 620-RT(4), Sub:RBH I-12 & Aura shakers(2). VIZIO M70-D3, Benq HT1075, & Elite 106" Screen. Sony UBP-X800 & LG BP440. Misc: Nvdia Shield, Apple TV, DSTV PVR, Wii U & Darbee DVP-5000s. Harmony Elite & Echo-Dot.
Bedroom: Marantz AV7702, Crown XLS1000(2). 2.1.2: Polk RTi8, TSx110 & Bic F-12. LG 55LB7200, Samsung K8500. Misc: Fire TV, Sennheiser RS 170, QNAP NAS TS-451+ & DSTV HD.
post #43214 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 08:15 AM
EdQ

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
....Is it a waste to just set them to small?? Not a chance! I chose the A9 specifically for it's top end. No other speaker in the Polk lineup has one like it....2 midrange drivers coupled with the tweeter and all three housed in their own compartment separate from the wolfs.

The A9 IMO is a very capable speaker and versatile as well. I've been without my full set up for way too long now, but in the not too distant future, I'll have it back once again, and I have to tell you, when I had my (then) 7.2 with wides, the sound was nothing short of amazing.....
I have been wondering if a tower is even worth the money when the sub can handle all the bass.
I do like that the dual mids and tweeter are separate. Couldn't you use a CSiA6 for the L/R and save some $$$?

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Surrounds | Integra DTR 9.1 - LCR | AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
post #43215 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdQ View Post
I have been wondering if a tower is even worth the money when the sub can handle all the bass.
I do like that the dual mids and tweeter are separate. Couldn't you use a CSiA6 for the L/R and save some $$$?
You could use pretty much whatever you want however the CSiA6 is designed for dialog channel. Best to stick with mains for mains such as dedicated towers or even stout bookshelves.

The RTiA3's could work, even the A5, but one smart person told me to just set a goal for what I want, save for it, then get it.

Set up:

Last edited by Geoff4RFC; 01-19-2017 at 09:15 AM.
post #43216 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 10:30 AM

Best Buy Canada....RTiA9 for $399 CDN each...brand new speakers

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...095098e21aen02

with US and Canada exchange rate it will be $306 US per speaker...sale will end today Jan 19, 2017.

Last edited by Hannzz; 01-19-2017 at 10:33 AM.
post #43217 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:

with US and Canada exchange rate it will be $306 US per speaker...sale will end today Jan 19, 2017.
That's a great price! I've never heard KEF's so I can't help you there, however I think you would be very satisfied with the A9's, especially at that price.

Towers vs. bookshelves with a good sub is discussion where you will find plenty of people on both sides. Practically speaking, if you are trying to save money and will need to use stands for bookshelf speakers, factor in that cost too. If it's a big heavy speaker like the LSiM 703 (30 lbs) vs. my old Monitor 40's (16 lbs), you'll probably need good/expensive stands.

With my A9's crossed at 40 or 60, the woofers are still working and adding some to the sub. Plus I can run them full if I want to for 2 channel music.

They also look cool as heck with the grills off

yanks1 likes this.

post #43218 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have a pair of vintage Polk Speakers - model SDA-CRS listed on Craigslist Baltimore. These are high-end bookshelf speakers made by Polk Audio in Baltimore in the mid eighties. I am the original owner so I know they have been lovingly cared for. If you are interested, or know somebody who is...
post #43219 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey does anyone know of a shop around Los Angeles that carry polk lsim 707, which I can audition?

Thanks!
post #43220 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
That's a great price! I've never heard KEF's so I can't help you there, however I think you would be very satisfied with the A9's, especially at that price.

Towers vs. bookshelves with a good sub is discussion where you will find plenty of people on both sides. Practically speaking, if you are trying to save money and will need to use stands for bookshelf speakers, factor in that cost too. If it's a big heavy speaker like the LSiM 703 (30 lbs) vs. my old Monitor 40's (16 lbs), you'll probably need good/expensive stands.

With my A9's crossed at 40 or 60, the woofers are still working and adding some to the sub. Plus I can run them full if I want to for 2 channel music.

I can also get KEF Q900 (New) for $1199, $300 CDN more than A9s. I want a system for 5+ years so additional $300 wouldn't be an issue between Q900 vs A9s, only if Q900 are better...my also concern is central channel which one offers more clear dialogue between Q600 vs CsiA6. I have two Outlaw EX (now Ultra, I guess) subs which I will be using.

But thanks for your input.
post #43221 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I enjoy my Polk subs...(4) 12" PSW505 models....yessiree.......lol

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Oppo 203 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Black Flame Painted Screen Wall / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite USB / Furman Conditioner / Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #43222 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Any polk owner can comment on Polk Audio LSiM706 center channel? I am looking for a 3-way center channel. So far B&W 600 Series HTM61 S2 is the best sounding i heard compared to def tech, martin logan, and klipsch. The B&W gives that clear mid, nice low and high.
post #43223 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Are those the original Monitor 70's pictured in your avatar? So many of us started out that way. I started with the M70 SII that had the black face. Then upgraded to the RTiA 9's.

Before I sold my Monitor 7.2 set up, I got the chance to run the M70's beside the A9's in the wide channel. It was then I discovered the difference the tower made over the bookshelf in that channel. Previously ran the M30 and the M40 at wide. The M70 opened up a whole new world of sound at wide channel.

Now, I have four A9's across my front stage
garnuts likes this.

Set up:
post #43224 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Are those the original Monitor 70's pictured in your avatar? So many of us started out that way. I started with the M70 SII that had the black face. Then upgraded to the RTiA 9's.

Before I sold my Monitor 7.2 set up, I got the chance to run the M70's beside the A9's in the wide channel. It was then I discovered the difference the tower made over the bookshelf in that channel. Previously ran the M30 and the M40 at wide. The M70 opened up a whole new world of sound at wide channel.

Now, I have four A9's across my front stage
Yeah, those are M70's. That photo is 5-6 yrs old, I need to update it to show my Rti set-up.

Followed a similar path as you did. After finding this forum 8 yrs ago, I got the Monitor system to replace an old dept. store 5.1 system. Also used M30's for wides and surrounds. I liked them so much I eventually put Monitor systems in the bedroom and office.

Then.... too much time on this forum upgradeitis forced me to buy an Rti system for the living room during one of the F&F sales 3.5 years ago. It was inevitable that I would have to upgrade my bedroom and office systems too

Now the only Monitors I'm using are the M70's as surrounds in my office, only because I don't have room to store them in the closet! So if anyone in the Columbus, OH area wants to buy a Monitor system or two, besides the M70's I have 6 pr of M30's, 1 pr M40's, 1 pr OWM3, 1 CS2, and 2 CS1's all in excellent condition in the closet.

I was tempted to put a full LsiM system in my living room, but I don't listen to music much there and the Rti's sound so great for movies/tv that I don't think I would hear enough difference to warrant the cost even at 50% off.

Now adding a second sub is next. Space is an issue, so I need a big enough sub to replace an end table... cause I hear subs also double a great pieces of furniture . I almost forgot ATMOS, that's an intriguing upgrade. Of course that will require a new AVR too... it never ends, and that's not including video gear!

Oh well, its still cheaper than my old sports car hobby. Now it's a paid for Honda!

Geoff4RFC likes this.

post #43225 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, those are M70's. That photo is 5-6 yrs old, I need to update it to show my Rti set-up.

Then.... too much time on this forum upgradeitis forced me to buy an Rti system for the living room during one of the F&F sales 3.5 years ago. It was inevitable that I would have to upgrade my bedroom and office systems too

Now the only Monitors I'm using are the M70's as surrounds in my office.

I was tempted to put a full LsiM system in my living room, but I don't listen to music much there and the Rti's sound so great for movies/tv that I don't think I would hear enough difference to warrant the cost even at 50% off.

I need a big enough sub to replace an end table... cause I hear subs also double a great pieces of furniture . I almost forgot ATMOS, that's an intriguing upgrade. Of course that will require a new AVR too... it never ends, and that's not including video gear!

Oh well, its still cheaper than my old sports car hobby. Now it's a paid for Honda!
It looks like we have a couple-o-things in common!

1st, don't upgrade the photo, it looks great, besides, it shows where you came from

2nd, the underlined in bold is the testimony of many in this thread

3rd, kudos on the M70's as surround. I first tried them there when I got my first pair of A9's. It's a sight to see towers in surround spots.

4th, yes to a large and capable sub. My first sub upgrade made a tremendous difference in the theater sound. Note from photo, besides being used as end tables, they also make great resting places for small children

(ATMOS??!! I know my opinion wasn't asked for....................what the heck, an AVR with many many pre-outs, multiple amps or one with many channels and good 'ol Audyssey XT32 does the trick )

And 5th, cool about the sports car hobby, I love speed! That's me in my avatar from '05.......heck I don't care if it has 2 wheels, four or more, as long as you can wring it's neck and there's another corner approaching
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020593.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1906577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00018-20110130-1656_zpscb3ddfce.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	1906585  

Set up:
post #43226 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
So if anyone in the Columbus, OH area wants to buy a Monitor system or two, besides the M70's I have 6 pr of M30's, 1 pr M40's, 1 pr OWM3, 1 CS2, and 2 CS1's all in excellent condition in the closet.
I gave away a ton of Monitors and Tsi's before we moved from Cincinnati to Clearwater. Old timers here still joke about my warehouse full of Monitors Some of them ended up in Columbus too! At least I was able to get a few hundred dollars for some excess Rti's.

And I remember Geoff's revelation when he hooked up the M70's to a power amp and discovered that they didn't sound half bad. Too many systems are powered by underpowered AVR's... the speakers may actually be fairly good, but sound anemic with so many drivers sucking off the teat of the single power supply in an AVR.

Also been-there-done-that on considering upgrading everything to Lsi's. Same reasoning. I bought a pair of 703's used here on AVS (thanks Enrico!) and ALMOST pulled the trigger on a matching center during the F&F before coming to my senses. "Dude!" I told myself, "you already have a storage locker full of RTiA's you can't use, what the heck are you going to do with more Lsi's?"
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, RtiA1 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
I once cried because I had no Atmos, until I met a man who had no stereo
post #43227 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Quote:
Ha, don't be so sure............I'm looking at a possible joint (L knee) replacement later this summer, other than being ridiculously out of shape, things aren't too bad after that.
Sorry to say but Ive got you beat. Osteoporosis in my entire spine and hips (from years of prescribed steroids) and that's the start....
Dude I'm only 28 and Ive already had several hang nails.
Ronman79 and Geoff4RFC like this.
post #43228 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 PM

Rob and Geoff, I've been following this thread for 8 years, I just don't post a lot.

So I remember when Geoff had his awesome 4 x A9's set up and the 'sacrifice' you made moving to a smaller place. But you still manage to enjoy what you can with your current set-up and even managed to add some 703's. Do you ever go visit your A9's and sub in storage ha ha!

I remember reading about your motorcycling career... ah the need for speed! Fortunately, mine has diminished with age

Rob, one of the reasons I haven't tried to sell my monitors is I remember when you were trying to unload yours. I don't like selling on CL and I don't know if it's worth it on eBay. So I'll probably give some of them to my nephew who just graduated from college and is starting to show an interest in HT.

I also started with just a pair of 703's during the 50% off sale last spring and was going to continue to use a CS2 center for my office, but a couple of days after ordering the 703's and before the sale was over I caved and ordered the 704 center too.

Ah the good old days when this thread was very active before the mods reprimanded posters for too much OT. It got pretty quiet quickly... No more pictures of what Geoff was cooking for dinner

Geoff I see your avatar still says 'just down aways from Stanley'. Is he still around? I haven't seen him post on here since the thread was practically shut down.

post #43229 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:

WHAT?!?!

Damn it!!! I even checked bestbuy here...no go. Bummer!
post #43230 of 44011 Old 01-19-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ah the good old days when this thread was very active before the mods reprimanded posters for too much OT. It got pretty quiet quickly... No more pictures of what Geoff was cooking for dinner

Geoff I see your avatar still says 'just down aways from Stanley'. Is he still around? I haven't seen him post on here since the thread was practically shut down.

LOL, I thought your name looked familiar..........ah yes, the good 'ol days indeed

I still crank out the "wanna be" fancy plates from time to time, but my wife does most of the cooking now.......unless we're doing her favorite steak Then I'm taking over grill duties!

The last time I "ran" into Stanley, I was on CL looking for stands for my 703's, Stanley was selling stands on CL

We chatted for a bit, but he sold all of his gear, got a motor home and took off heading south first, then after that not sure.
climber07 likes this.

Set up:

Last edited by Geoff4RFC; 01-20-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page