Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1444 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1365Likes

Old 01-28-2017, 10:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja76 View Post
Awesome set up! I have a question about the power you're using to run the A9's. Did I read that your amp is 55 watts? That's plenty for those things? Reason I'm asking is I've come to understand that they need like 200 watts to really sing. What am I missing?
We're not sure if he's even using that amp for his mains, I know he's got an ATMOS set up so it could be used for another pair
Ahh I see.

The reason I'm asking is I've received my pair of A9's, but I have to return one due to damage. Anyway...
I started testing the single one last night, biamped and normal. I mostly tested it on 2 channel only to compare it's sound to the yamaha tower I currently use. I must say I was blown away with the sound coming from just the AVR rated at 120 wpc. I haven't tested it in 5 channel mode yet. I'm hoping that I can run them biamped and set to large without burning out my AVR. I do have a powered sub, but I still wanted to run the A9's in full range. I might be asking for trouble!

On another note, why does my volume indicator go down when I turn it up? Yes, laugh it up! I really don't know! I thought the higher the volume, the more decibels!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Awesome set up! I have a question about the power you're using to run the A9's. Did I read that your amp is 55 watts? That's plenty for those things? Reason I'm asking is I've come to understand that they need like 200 watts to really sing. What am I missing?
Thank you, and No!!! The separate amp is there because my Pioneer SC-95 is an 11.2 channel decoder, but only amplifies 9.2 channels. I have a 7.2.4 setup, so I had to buy the audiosource amp to amplify two rear surround channels that my receiver won't amplify.

The Pioneer SC-95 is a receiver with integrated Class D3 amp that puts 135 Watts per channel at 8 ohms on a two channel setup. And I will hazard to say this rating is very close to reality, and not some number pulled out of a hat, as many brands seem to do. On a 9.2 channel layout, it's rated at 760 Watts in total for a typical 1KHz signal output. I would say, I typically listen at -20 db with no extra signal boost to these speakers. When raised to 0 dB, I fear, the house will fall apart, yet can't hear any distortion.

Quote:
Hey, you're very welcome. That's awesome that you were able hear an improvement (and your wife ).

Thanks for additional pics, awesome.......one day I'll have my gear stashed in the wall or in another room!!!

Thanks for the reply, oddly enough, I replied back with some attempted "funnies" but I don't see it in my sent file, hmmmm, odd indeed! I'll go back later and take a look and see if I can find the reply, if not, I'll send another

Ahh, the A9, sensitive and finicky, touch it and it will perform, give it just the right touch and it will perform marvelously for you
I am a believer. I can't say why, but from my limited exposure of many mid to mid-upper level brands in about a dozen dealer showrooms, the Pioneer amp and Polk speaker combination has been the best aural experience to me. Yes, there were better speakers, but at literally 20 times the price of Polk A9's, but with may be just a bit better clarity, and I am being generous. I am glad that I stuck with Polk. Little did I think about future expansion to additional four surrounds and additional four ceiling atmos speakers. With so many speakers available with Polk that timbre match with the A9's, I am loving the value, while still getting the unmatched surround sound experience. And after seven years, since recently moving to my basement home theater, I am discovering them again.

Quote:
We're not sure if he's even using that amp for his mains, I know he's got an ATMOS set up so it could be used for another pair
Correctly guessed!

Quote:
Ahh I see.

The reason I'm asking is I've received my pair of A9's, but I have to return one due to damage. Anyway...
I started testing the single one last night, biamped and normal. I mostly tested it on 2 channel only to compare it's sound to the yamaha tower I currently use. I must say I was blown away with the sound coming from just the AVR rated at 120 wpc. I haven't tested it in 5 channel mode yet. I'm hoping that I can run them biamped and set to large without burning out my AVR. I do have a powered sub, but I still wanted to run the A9's in full range. I might be asking for trouble!

On another note, why does my volume indicator go down when I turn it up? Yes, laugh it up! I really don't know! I thought the higher the volume, the more decibels!?
People have differing opinions about bi-amping, but after hearing no difference in sound, I have stuck myself with just regular one pair of wires to run my speaker. I believe you will see a minus sign (-) in front of the decibels values. the 0 is a vague reference point put out by these receiver makes. So usually, you will see "-25 dB" or something like that on your amp display panel. As the volume goes up, your -dB values go down. At 0 dB, be prepared to start getting your ears hurt if kept at that dB level for an extended period.
Geoff4RFC likes this.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:45 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post

People have differing opinions about bi-amping, but after hearing no difference in sound, I have stuck myself with just regular one pair of wires to run my speaker. I believe you will see a minus sign (-) in front of the decibels values. the 0 is a vague reference point put out by these receiver makes. So usually, you will see "-25 dB" or something like that on your amp display panel. As the volume goes up, your -dB values go down. At 0 dB, be prepared to start getting your ears hurt if kept at that dB level for an extended period.
Thanks for getting the laughing out of your system before the reply!

I've rarely reached the 20's while doing any listening. Its super loud and I'm afraid I'll destroy my AVR! When my second A9 gets here on Tuesday, I want to really test them without burning out my poor 1060. Aside from the dreaded "clipping", is there any other way to know I've reached the upper limits of how high I should turn up this thing? I know the hungry A9's are too much for the 1060, but it sure sounded good with one biamped last night.

Old 01-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for getting the laughing out of your system before the reply!

I've rarely reached the 20's while doing any listening. Its super loud and I'm afraid I'll destroy my AVR! When my second A9 gets here on Tuesday, I want to really test them without burning out my poor 1060. Aside from the dreaded "clipping", is there any other way to know I've reached the upper limits of how high I should turn up this thing? I know the hungry A9's are too much for the 1060, but it sure sounded good with one biamped last night.
Not really no. Not many people have lived past that Polk A9 threshold, and lived to tell the story j/k. But I fear your AVR will reach its threshold before anything happened to your A9. And the AVR will shut off when it gets too warm, so go ahead and push some cotton down your ear canal Just remember the thumb rule that sond volume would seem to double at every 3dB increase.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Not really no. Not many people have lived past that Polk A9 threshold, and lived to tell the story j/k. But I fear your AVR will reach its threshold before anything happened to your A9. And the AVR will shut off when it gets too warm, so go ahead and push some cotton down your ear canal Just remember the thumb rule that sond volume would seem to double at every 3dB increase.
Yes, I'm fully aware that these A9's are more than a match for the Yamaha 1060! I'll happily push it to its limits while trying not to fry it! I had a Pioneer Elite VSX-43 receiver up until a month ago before it died. That has be gun-shy! Now it seems I have some Z rated tires on a Honda.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
I'm considering picking up a used 704c center to go with my LsiM703's (and maybe pull the Lsi9's out of the bedroom and put them at surround). I am curious if any of you have tried the 704 and found it lacking to the extent that you quickly moved up to the 706. I realize that the 706 would be a better match with 707's (or a larger HT installation in general) however, given the size of the 703's it seems to me that the 704 is a good match. OTOH I do not want to throw away good money on the 704 if I would be disappointed and quickly move up to the 706. I do intend for the time being to keep my Rti(A) system for primary HT duty. Your thoughts please?

I have the 704c with LSiM703's and think it is perfect. I originally thought that I would need the 706c, but I was able to fit the 704C into my entertainment center with a little trimming. It was done for a cleaner look, and don't regret it a bit. Together it all sounds absolutely amazing, dialog is not lacking one bit.

Samsung UN55F7100 / Yamaha RX-A3000
Polk LSiM 703c Fronts / Polk LSiM 704c Center
Polk LSiM 702 F/X Surrounds / Polk FXi A6 Rear surrounds
Outlaw Ultra-X12 Sub / Outlaw LFM-1 Plus Sub
Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD - Blu-ray Player
Old 01-28-2017, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1576
Quote:
Ahh I see.

I wouldn't worry (too much ), I'm sure no one is laughing. We all have a learning curve and we all started from the beginning at one point

As Hellohowareyou explained about the volume, you get the picture, a lot of AVR's will reference sound at 0. If you're listening with the volume at 0, it's pretty stink'n loud........and, his AVR is one of the very FEW that have amps that hold their power.

If you were to Bi-amp your A9's from the AVR only, the power is only getting split up (I believe this was just covered here recently). Let's say your AVR is rated at 120wpc. That would be for 2ch driven only. when you add more channels, let's say 5 now, the power is rated more closed to maybe 70wpc (you could google a bench test for your AVR to see what kind of power output is has with 2 to all channels driven to be sure). So with more channels being driven, less power is supplied from each of the AVR's amps. You would do better to do a passive bi-amp by using another AVR like EDQ is doing.

And yes, by running your A9's LARGE on the AVR without extra amplification, I can tell you first hand, you ARE asking for trouble. Not so much if you're just doing 2ch music, but if you're playing movies with DTS-HD Master Audio sound tracks, those 7" woofers suck power like great grannies sweet tea on a hot Texas afternoon in the summer time. You could easily clip the signal and damage both speakers and AVR. If anyone is using EMO amps with A9's and have had them run LARGE and seen your LED's light up like Christmas trees, can I get an AMEN?!

So running your A9's LARGE is a cool thing, but you're going to want to have extra power available for them

BTW, sorry you have to wait for the other speaker to come home!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Old 01-28-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't worry (too much ), I'm sure no one is laughing. We all have a learning curve and we all started from the beginning at one point

As Hellohowareyou explained about the volume, you get the picture, a lot of AVR's will reference sound at 0. If you're listening with the volume at 0, it's pretty stink'n loud........and, his AVR is one of the very FEW that have amps that hold their power.

If you were to Bi-amp your A9's from the AVR only, the power is only getting split up (I believe this was just covered here recently). Let's say your AVR is rated at 120wpc. That would be for 2ch driven only. when you add more channels, let's say 5 now, the power is rated more closed to maybe 70wpc (you could google a bench test for your AVR to see what kind of power output is has with 2 to all channels driven to be sure). So with more channels being driven, less power is supplied from each of the AVR's amps. You would do better to do a passive bi-amp by using another AVR like EDQ is doing.

And yes, by running your A9's LARGE on the AVR without extra amplification, I can tell you first hand, you ARE asking for trouble. Not so much if you're just doing 2ch music, but if you're playing movies with DTS-HD Master Audio sound tracks, those 7" woofers suck power like great grannies sweet tea on a hot Texas afternoon in the summer time. You could easily clip the signal and damage both speakers and AVR. If anyone is using EMO amps with A9's and have had them run LARGE and seen your LED's light up like Christmas trees, can I get an AMEN?!

So running your A9's LARGE is a cool thing, but you're going to want to have extra power available for them

BTW, sorry you have to wait for the other speaker to come home!
I like grannies tea! Especially on a hot California Day! lol

Well ****. I guess I will be putting all the lower frequency stuff on the sub (like I'm supposed to). I need to save up some money for an amp! Since I'm really running under a hundred watts to all channels, maybe even a 100 or 150 wpc would be a legit upgrade? If I could do it for a few hundred bucks I'd be happy!
Old 01-28-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder5 View Post
I have the 704c with LSiM703's and think it is perfect. I originally thought that I would need the 706c, but I was able to fit the 704C into my entertainment center with a little trimming. It was done for a cleaner look, and don't regret it a bit. Together it all sounds absolutely amazing, dialog is not lacking one bit.
Thanks! On paper the 704 appears to be the better match to the 703's based on driver size. I came very close to pulling the trigger on a 704 for $400 during the F&F sale but eventually came to my senses. So now I went ahead and bought an open box 704 for $300 and expecting delivery this week.

Quote:
A lot of AVR's will reference sound at 0. If you're listening with the volume at 0, it's pretty stink'n loud........
At least one of the AVR's I've owned had a setup option to choose either the DB-down scale or a 1-100% display.

Quote:
Currently I'm running the Rti12's as LARGE on an AVR that lists 150wpc. Of course, being in a condo we don't really crank it up like we used to in our house. At some point I hope to get the Emo's as well as the RtiA's out of storage - and had fully intended to have done that by now, but some medical issues threw a wrench at many of our plans. Getting at least the XPA2 out and hooked up to the Rti12's would be nice, but so far the Denon seems to be holding its own driving them.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
Old 01-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Can I hazard a confession? I am running my A9 as Large. I can't say why, but the music with lots of bass guitars sounded so much sweeter with the A9's running as large :running for cover to hide from forum members' wrath:
Old 01-28-2017, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Currently I'm running the Rti12's as LARGE on an AVR that lists 150wpc. .
That's a monster AVR Rob. I wish I was closer. Would love to be able to help now and then!!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
Old 01-28-2017, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can I hazard a confession? I am running my A9 as Large. I can't say why, but the music with lots of bass guitars sounded so much sweeter with the A9's running as large :running for cover to hide from forum members' wrath:
LOL, don't run to far, you have great input.

Dave, (Climber) is the master at running A9's large and with dual subs. He has the science down. I've never been in his room but would love to. And, when I get my next dedicated, I'll do the same. I have grown to love the LFE these A9's are capable of putting out. It's all I have for now with my subs in storage.

Set up:
Old 01-28-2017, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Slickdeals/Adorama LSiM's 57%-60% Off

Besides the 703's for $649 mentioned previously mentioned above, Slickdeals/Adorama have these on sale:

https://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php...searchin=first

LSiM:

704: $325

707: $900 ea

707's, 703's, 706: $2800

707's, 703's, M702 F/X's, 706,: $3300 (60% off !)

If I only had another room the move my Rti system to, that 7 speaker bundle for 60% off is an awesome deal.

Here's your chance Geoff

Living Room: Denon X4000, XPA-5, Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, RTiA3-wides, FXiA4, OWM3, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5030, VApex 92”, Sony XBR9 52”, PS3, Xbox 360, Darbee, Harmony 1.
Bedroom: Denon X2000, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, Sony XBR-55X850B, Sony BPD-S590, Xbox 360, RPi2-RasPlex, Darbee, Harmony 510.
Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors, Harmony 610.

Last edited by garnuts; 01-28-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post

Here's your chance Geoff

You're all heart

Set up:
Old 01-29-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Besides the 703's for $649 mentioned previously mentioned above, Slickdeals/Adorama have these on sale:

LSiM: 704: $325
Damm.... wish I had seen that before paying $330 for an open box 704 !

Quote:
If I only had another room the move my Rti system to...
I hear you on that one, brother!

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
Old 01-29-2017, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

707's, 703's, M702 F/X's, 706,: $3300 (60% off !)

If I only had another room the move my Rti system to, that 7 speaker bundle for 60% off is an awesome deal.
So, a question for the experts. Ideally which one amp can play all of these in a HT? Or is there a series of amps that you have to get to run them nicely? Just wanted to know to find my real out of pocket if I ever wanted to "upgrade".
Old 01-29-2017, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Ahh I see.

I don't know that I've seen all responses to this yet or not, but I'll give my input. No laughing at all, whatsoever. 😁. When you do a proper setup and calibration of your receiver and speakers, that volume readout is referred to as "relative". What it's doing is counting down, basically, to reference sound level - the level and mix that the director/sound editors, etc had in mind when creating the film. It's showing that you're however many db from reference ("0" is it!)

Now, most of us don't watch TV or movies at reference level at all times....but, I do like to crank it on special movie nights. Enjoy it wherever it sounds right!

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Oppo 203 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite USB / Furman Conditioner / Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
Old 01-29-2017, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Geoff, I just wanted to say thanks for your private message with some very valuable inputs. Yes, since your input, I tried both against the wall and farther away from the wall towards me. Man, the sound feels so different between the two. I did a detailed calibration using MCACC Pro after moving the LR towards me, and boy, the sound is such sweet feeling! Even my wife, who is completely sound agnostic, sat up and complemented these seven year old LR speakers. Yes, they have been been with me seven years now. The LR A9's are now about 17-18 inches away from the wall, and the CSiA6 is about 11-12 inches. . By the way I did responded to your PM also Geoff.

I have a couple pictures as requested. Well, nothing to be boastful about but they work for me, rather extremely well.

My equipment from top to bottom are:

JVC X750R/RS500 eshift 4k Projector (You can't see it in these pictures)
Furman M-Dx Merit X Series 8 Outlet Power Conditioner
Pioneer Elite SC-95 Receiver
AudioSource AMP102VS 55-Watt 2-Channel Amplifier
LG BP-735 upscaling 3D Blu-ray player (very versatile player actually for a Blu-ray device)
Cable TV receiver

Oh and the screen is 130 inch diagonal 2.35:1 Elunevision Reference Studio 4K 100 screen (10 ft viewable width X 51"" viewable height) Needless to say 3D on this screen is scary good. Polks do an awesome job to make it even more realistic.

PS. I have no idea why my vertical shot is showing up as horizontal. Any idea how to fix this?
Very nice room, Sir! Can't wait to experience my own little slice of HT... Soon

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Oppo 203 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite USB / Furman Conditioner / Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
Old 01-29-2017, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
So, a question for the experts. Ideally which one amp can play all of these in a HT? Or is there a series of amps that you have to get to run them nicely? Just wanted to know to find my real out of pocket if I ever wanted to "upgrade".
Are you talking about an amplifier in addition to an AVR?

For a separate amp, you will need an AVR with preouts to connect to the amp.

I know some people will run a 7.x system using just an AVR w/o an additional amp. With a mid to high end AVR you could probably do fine at moderate listening levels. But if you want to play music or movies at closer to reference, that is where an extra amp will really improve your experience and take some of the load off of the AVR. I ran my 7 channel Monitor system with an mid level Onkyo AVR without an amp for 4-5 years; pushed it fairly hard occasionally, and it sounded great to me then.

That Onkyo is still used daily in my office w/o an amp driving 703's, 704, and Monitor 70's. However it only used for TV and moderate level music.

When I upgraded my living room system to a 9.1 Rti system a few years ago, I added a Emotiva XPA-5 (5 channel amp), connected to a Denon X4000 AVR. The amp drives the front sound stage (A9's L/R, Csi A6 center, A3 wides), and the Denon drives the 4 rear surronds.

While I thought my Monitor system sounded great, the Rti's amplified are awesome I can play action movies at volume levels with no distortion at 'scary' levels... scary for my hearing!

There are many amp brands, I'm happy with my Emotiva. Many 'audiophiles' would never use an Emotiva, but I'm an enthusiast not a 'phile'! There are cheaper alternatives than Emotiva, but don't know much about them.

You can also get a 2 or 3 channel amp to drive just the front speakers. If you are using your system more for HT then a 3 channel amp would be better since the center channel is used a lot.

So if you can't afford, or not sure about an amp, you can certainly do without one for awhile.

Living Room: Denon X4000, XPA-5, Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, RTiA3-wides, FXiA4, OWM3, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5030, VApex 92”, Sony XBR9 52”, PS3, Xbox 360, Darbee, Harmony 1.
Bedroom: Denon X2000, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, Sony XBR-55X850B, Sony BPD-S590, Xbox 360, RPi2-RasPlex, Darbee, Harmony 510.
Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors, Harmony 610.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Garnuts lays out a pretty well rounded answer. And while I don't consider myself an expert, I have learned a little bit about the sport .

If you were to upgrade to the LSiM series and you want to amp them, depending on your budget, there are a few 7ch and I think a 9ch amp out there, that can get pretty expensive compared to what Emotiva offers.

And since Emo has changed their amp tech, you can start out with a 2ch amp and add more channels as you go.

Myself, since the mains have a higher power rating, I like to be able to have more power available for it than the rest of the set up.

I have 4 A9's and I have two XPA-2's to drive them, 300wpc x 4. I use the XPA-3 which is 200wpc to drive the center and side surrounds. I would use the Integra alone to drive the rear surrounds at 140wpc.

So, you could get a "one amp fits all" or you could use a couple of different power rated amps to customize your power delivery.

I wouldn't mind trying a couple of Bryston amps but due to my limited budget, I go with the Emos!
RobLee and yanks1 like this.

Set up:
Old 01-29-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronman79 View Post
Quote:
Ahh I see.

I don't know that I've seen all responses to this yet or not, but I'll give my input. No laughing at all, whatsoever. ?. When you do a proper setup and calibration of your receiver and speakers, that volume readout is referred to as "relative". What it's doing is counting down, basically, to reference sound level - the level and mix that the director/sound editors, etc had in mind when creating the film. It's showing that you're however many db from reference ("0" is it!)

Now, most of us don't watch TV or movies at reference level at all times....but, I do like to crank it on special movie nights. Enjoy it wherever it sounds right!

Whaaaaa?? Seriously? "0" is reference?! I've been up to -24 a few times and thought, "Yeah, this is dumb. I'm turning it down." Thanks for the education. Now to continue geeking out on amps...
Ronman79 likes this.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Whaaaaa?? Seriously? "0" is reference?! I've been up to -24 a few times and thought, "Yeah, this is dumb. I'm turning it down." Thanks for the education. Now to continue geeking out on amps...
With a properly set up system, yes...lol.. I hardly ever watch nearly that high. But, if you've had a calibration done, and the auto room eq from the receiver, 0 would be the reference level. Jam it, man!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With a properly set up system, yes...lol.. I hardly ever watch nearly that high. But, if you've had a calibration done, and the auto room eq from the receiver, 0 would be the reference level. Jam it, man!

When I had my old set on the A9's, I did an "outdoor" test, a walk around to see what I could hear, or feel, outside the house.

I had it turned up to -8, couldn't stand it inside the room (daylight basement), WAAYYY too loud. But outside, couldn't hear it on the side and only faintly in the back at the sliding doors..........but the rest of the inside of the house.....couldn't hear it so much as feel it
Ronman79 likes this.

Set up:
Old 01-30-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Quote:

When I had my old set on the A9's, I did an "outdoor" test, a walk around to see what I could hear, or feel, outside the house.

I had it turned up to -8, couldn't stand it inside the room (daylight basement), WAAYYY too loud. But outside, couldn't hear it on the side and only faintly in the back at the sliding doors..........but the rest of the inside of the house.....couldn't hear it so much as feel it
How much did it cost to replace the glass? Lol
Ronman79 and Geoff4RFC like this.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

My observation with a Pioneer Elite and a pair of A9's is, at reference levels (read 0 db) after full calibration, the sound is pretty much unbearable in a confined room. It is also at that point, the speaker seems to start getting brighter. However at loud , but not yet reference levels, around -12 dB to -5 dB or so, as loud as it is, it plays so sweet especially with vocals. Again those levels are not at all safe for hearing. This is when I running the A9 as large speakers. But at the same time on other AVR's such as Denon the A9 seems to be much laid back and getting too loud but still acceptable at near reference levels. I think it was the x4200.

In another news, I just put an order on the second PB 1000. Being in Canada, they charge an arm and a leg for the 2000, which I was hoping for. Although I have been using 7.2.4 setup, the other sub was the PSW 111 (LOL) that I took back upstairs after a few runs. No offence to the PSW, it does surprisingly give quite a punch on the mid-bass (chest thump), but I am looking more for the rumbles (without the foundation shake or chest thump), which I believe the dual PB 1000 would achieve. And yes, at that point, I will run my A9 as small
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; 01-30-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I normally listen on -15, maybe its because im about 15-16 feet away from the 12's. I know my setup is fine because when anyone else walks in especially the wife she complains its too loud. For movies i listen between -10 and -8; when the explosions kick in, oh my . For 2 channel music i run the 12's large and listen between -20 and -15 and it sounds really good.

I like to listen loud (why i got the amps) but even i have to admit once i go past -8 its way too loud, but the Rti's handle it, no distortion whatsoever
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Living Room: Pre-Pro- Marantz AV7702, Amps- Crown X1500 & XLS1000(5). Mains- RTi12, Center- CSi5, SR- RTiA1, SRB-RTi8, Atmos- 620RT(4), Sub- RBH I-12 & BIC F12, TV-LG55LB7200, PJ-Benq HT1075, Screen 106", UBD- Samsung K8500, Bluray-LGBP440, Misc- Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Chromecast, DSTV HD PVR, Wii U, DVP-5000s.
Bedroom:AVR- Marantz SR5009, Mains-Tsx110B, TV-VIZIO E500i-B1, Bluray-LG BP540, Misc- Fire TV, Chromecast Audio, Sennheiser RS170, DSTV HD, QNAP TS-451+.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I typically listen at -20 to -24 for movies. Music varies by source, some even at -50 (background music).
Geoff4RFC likes this.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How much did it cost to replace the glass? Lol
Haha, not quite glass busting, but....

One night, my wife brought home one of her movies. Since she'd sit through my action and adventure (she calls them boy movies), I'd sit through her horror movies, but she'd bring home mostly "B" movies, some really stupid ones

But one night, she brought home "InnKeepers" (I've told this one before long ago). When ever the Hotel ghost was near, you'd get an LFE rumbling through the speakers.

Then, in one scene, the window coverings (big wooden slat style blinds) were rattling like crazy. We lived in the flight pattern of the Air Force base and I figured it was a C130 or C141 buzzing the roof top, it was like on top of the house, 4 sets of blinds were shaking and rattling so bad. My wife interrupts the movie and asks, "what the heck is going on?". So, I paused the movie and 4 15" sub woofer drivers "popped" back into place. Those babies were at maximum extension. I just looked over at my wife and said, "that was just the subs baby"

Quote:
In another news, I just put an order on the second PB 1000. Being in Canada, they charge an arm and a leg for the 2000, which I was hoping for. Although I have been using 7.2.4 setup, the other sub was the PSW 111 (LOL) that I took back upstairs after a few runs. No offence to the PSW, it does surprisingly give quite a punch on the mid-bass (chest thump), but I am looking more for the rumbles (without the foundation shake or chest thump), which I believe the dual PB 1000 would achieve. And yes, at that point, I will run my A9 as small
Very nicely done!!!! Here is something you already know, with more subs in the room, the more your bass response is improved.

One more funny that I've already told years ago in this thread; my wife can do without the sub. She told me that she didn't mind if I added to my set up, just be sure to "tell" her first so there's no shock upon arrival. "Honey, I'm going to get a second Epik Empire", she replies with an "Ooookayyyyy" while rolling her Cali eyes

The sub shows up and she hits the roof, "Why did you get that?????" I said, "I told you I was getting it", her, "I thought you were just kidding", me, wait till I get it set up and dialed in and you'll be in for a surprise.

So I bring her down for a demo, and after a few song sections and some movie scenes, she looks at me and sincerely says, "Well, I'm actually impressed". She has a great ear.

Then, some few months later, I call her down for another demo, we have one of our daughters movies in, and I ask her after the scene, "did you feel that?" her, "yes", me, "I took out the subs and that was just the four A9's set to full".........without any hesitation, she looks right at me and unimpressed asks, "Soooo why do you we need the subs again?".......ugggg, talk about getting deflated I've been very careful about what I tell her about the set up after that

Set up:
Old 01-31-2017, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One more funny that I've already told years ago in this thread; my wife can do without the sub. She told me that she didn't mind if I added to my set up, just be sure to "tell" her first so there's no shock upon arrival.
"Honey, I'm going to get a second Epik Empire", she replies with an "Ooookayyyyy" while rolling her Cali eyes

The sub shows up and she hits the roof, "Why did you get that?????" I said, "I told you I was getting it", her, "I thought you were just kidding", me, wait till I get it set up and dialed in and you'll be in for a surprise.

So I bring her down for a demo, and after a few song sections and some movie scenes, she looks at me and sincerely says, "Well, I'm actually impressed". She has a great ear.

Then, some few months later, I call her down for another demo, we have one of our daughters movies in, and I ask her after the scene, "did you feel that?" her, "yes", me, "I took out the subs and that was just the four A9's set to full".........without any hesitation, she looks right at me and unimpressed asks, "Soooo why do you we need the subs again?".......ugggg, talk about getting deflated I've been very careful about what I tell her about the set up after that
I swear, I did the exact routine yesterday when I asked for the second sub. Actually, it went more like this:

I forgot to mention on another great thing about the PSW 111. Down-firing port. Also read as kid proof! Which is why, it remains in the Family Room on the main floor.
Geoff and other dads would understand!
Geoff4RFC likes this.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Anyone have any thoughts on using the 703s as surround speakers in a 5.1 configuration? Would they need to placed against a wall to function properly? My room is kind of a big, open square/rectangle and serves as a living room, kitchen and dining room. My surround speakers would likely be just kind of setting out in the room with no wall behind them.

I've been thinking about jumping on the Adorama deal and just noticed that the cherry 703s have returned to normal pricing, which kind of sparked a fire. They can still be had for 650 in midnight mahogany.

I currently have 703s for fronts and a 706c as center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread