Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1449 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1274Likes

post #43441 of 43443 Old Today, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Thanks for the responses. So in a room like mine, 23x12x7, sitting 12ft from the front sound stage, do you think the RTiA1 would suffice especially running with a SVS PB2000 to carry the lower frequencies? My other question would be if I did the RTiA1, is it preferable to do the CSiA4 or would getting the CSiA6 still be the best option to go since the center carries so much of the load? Again, this is about 95% for HT use. Thanks!
Sorry, but I think I forgot the question. Are you talking about using the A1's as mains or as surrounds? In the first case, I would say NO WAY... I wouldn't use A1's as mains anywhere other than a bedroom. For mains you probably don't want anything smaller than the A3's IMO... and you are right in that you want as much center as possible.

The A1's make sweet surrounds, unless you have large towers for mains (A9's), then you'll want to go with A3's for surrounds. In general, you want your largest speakers up front, and smaller speakers at the sides and rears.

So, for example, IMO any of these configurations would be good, depending on room size and material:
A1 mains, A4 center, A1 or OWM3 surrounds
A3 mains, A4 center, A1 surrounds
A5 mains, A4 or A6 center, A1 or A3 surrounds
A7 or A9 mains, A6 center, A3 surrounds

Don't expect "big" sound from the smaller two systems, maybe even the third, regardless of what sub you're using.
It really comes down to how much AIR the drivers can move. A small diameter driver doesn't move much air.

I hope that helps.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43442 of 43443 Old Today, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
^Looks great fastninja. I hope it sounds even sweeter.
Why thank you sir! Yes, they sound as sweet as the measly 150 wpc will make those A9's sound!
I needed a bump in the sound quality to match the OLED hanging on the wall...
post #43443 of 43443 Old Today, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Sorry, but I think I forgot the question. Are you talking about using the A1's as mains or as surrounds? In the first case, I would say NO WAY... I wouldn't use A1's as mains anywhere other than a bedroom. For mains you probably don't want anything smaller than the A3's IMO... and you are right in that you want as much center as possible.

The A1's make sweet surrounds, unless you have large towers for mains (A9's), then you'll want to go with A3's for surrounds. In general, you want your largest speakers up front, and smaller speakers at the sides and rears.

So, for example, IMO any of these configurations would be good, depending on room size and material:
A1 mains, A4 center, A1 or OWM3 surrounds
A3 mains, A4 center, A1 surrounds
A5 mains, A4 or A6 center, A1 or A3 surrounds
A7 or A9 mains, A6 center, A3 surrounds

Don't expect "big" sound from the smaller two systems, maybe even the third, regardless of what sub you're using.
It really comes down to how much AIR the drivers can move. A small diameter driver doesn't move much air.

I hope that helps.
I can't do towers for my fronts so I need bookshelves. I have a pretty capable sub, the PB 2000, so I don't think towers is really all that necessary. I was considering either the RTiA1 or RTiA3 with the CSiA6. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I should throw this out there: I can snag a pair of RTi4s for $118 right now, along with the CSi5 for $145. Both in new condition. So, the fronts and center channel for a total of $263. Not sure how good of a deal that it on these speakers, and I know they aren't the newer RTi series, so not sure what I'd be missing here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread