Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1449 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1277Likes

Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by butie120 View Post
Thanks for the responses. So in a room like mine, 23x12x7, sitting 12ft from the front sound stage, do you think the RTiA1 would suffice especially running with a SVS PB2000 to carry the lower frequencies? My other question would be if I did the RTiA1, is it preferable to do the CSiA4 or would getting the CSiA6 still be the best option to go since the center carries so much of the load? Again, this is about 95% for HT use. Thanks!
Sorry, but I think I forgot the question. Are you talking about using the A1's as mains or as surrounds? In the first case, I would say NO WAY... I wouldn't use A1's as mains anywhere other than a bedroom. For mains you probably don't want anything smaller than the A3's IMO... and you are right in that you want as much center as possible.

The A1's make sweet surrounds, unless you have large towers for mains (A9's), then you'll want to go with A3's for surrounds. In general, you want your largest speakers up front, and smaller speakers at the sides and rears.

So, for example, IMO any of these configurations would be good, depending on room size and material:
A1 mains, A4 center, A1 or OWM3 surrounds
A3 mains, A4 center, A1 surrounds
A5 mains, A4 or A6 center, A1 or A3 surrounds
A7 or A9 mains, A6 center, A3 surrounds

Don't expect "big" sound from the smaller two systems, maybe even the third, regardless of what sub you're using.
It really comes down to how much AIR the drivers can move. A small diameter driver doesn't move much air.

I hope that helps.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2017, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
^Looks great fastninja. I hope it sounds even sweeter.
Why thank you sir! Yes, they sound as sweet as the measly 150 wpc will make those A9's sound!
I needed a bump in the sound quality to match the OLED hanging on the wall...
Old 02-19-2017, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
Sorry, but I think I forgot the question. Are you talking about using the A1's as mains or as surrounds? In the first case, I would say NO WAY... I wouldn't use A1's as mains anywhere other than a bedroom. For mains you probably don't want anything smaller than the A3's IMO... and you are right in that you want as much center as possible.

The A1's make sweet surrounds, unless you have large towers for mains (A9's), then you'll want to go with A3's for surrounds. In general, you want your largest speakers up front, and smaller speakers at the sides and rears.

So, for example, IMO any of these configurations would be good, depending on room size and material:
A1 mains, A4 center, A1 or OWM3 surrounds
A3 mains, A4 center, A1 surrounds
A5 mains, A4 or A6 center, A1 or A3 surrounds
A7 or A9 mains, A6 center, A3 surrounds

Don't expect "big" sound from the smaller two systems, maybe even the third, regardless of what sub you're using.
It really comes down to how much AIR the drivers can move. A small diameter driver doesn't move much air.

I hope that helps.
I can't do towers for my fronts so I need bookshelves. I have a pretty capable sub, the PB 2000, so I don't think towers is really all that necessary. I was considering either the RTiA1 or RTiA3 with the CSiA6. What are your thoughts on this?

Also, I should throw this out there: I can snag a pair of RTi4s for $118 right now, along with the CSi5 for $145. Both in new condition. So, the fronts and center channel for a total of $263. Not sure how good of a deal that it on these speakers, and I know they aren't the newer RTi series, so not sure what I'd be missing here.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I can snag a pair of RTi4s for $118 right now, along with the CSi5 for $145. Both in new condition. So, the fronts and center channel for a total of $263. Not sure how good of a deal that it on these speakers, and I know they aren't the newer RTi series, so not sure what I'd be missing here.
Go for it! That is a great price. And just FWIW, as I write this I have a pair of Rti4's and a Csi5 sitting right here in our living room. They are decent speakers. I had been using the Csi5 along with Rti12's and 8's, until upgrading to LsiM's, and still using the Rti4's as surrounds... and BTW running them all on a 150wpc AVR.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Go for it! That is a great price. And just FWIW, as I write this I have a pair of Rti4's and a Csi5 sitting right here in our living room. They are decent speakers. I had been using the Csi5 along with Rti12's and 8's, until upgrading to LsiM's, and still using the Rti4's as surrounds... and BTW running them all on a 150wpc AVR.

Decent speakers? So you're not too crazy about them heh?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
I love the RT4's as surrounds. I did a head to head with the RTI8's and on certain songs I found that although the sound was almost identical, the detail on the 4's was a little less on certain songs. With that said, I often play music in multi-channel, and the 4's blend so well with the 8's and my CSI5...music just fills the room and sounds awesome. On movies, the 4's sound excellent as surrounds and I have been taken by surprise, more than a few times, with the lifelike sound of gunfire coming from my right and left sides.
If it were me, as far as bookshelf speakers go, I'd rather have the RTI6/RTIa3's over the 4's/RTIa1's as front speakers.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
Old 02-20-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On the contrary, I actually prefer them to the Rti6/A3 for surrounds, EXCEPT where they must keep up with the likes of A7/A9 fronts, then they are just overpowered. The smaller 4/A1 have a more natural, detailed sound, and that is why I have them paired with my LsiM703's rather than something larger (as mentioned in my earlier post).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
I love the RT4's as surrounds.... If it were me, as far as bookshelf speakers go, I'd rather have the RTI6/RTIa3's over the 4's/RTIa1's as front speakers.
My point exactly!

Old 02-20-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
That depends on what you are using them for.

As I and pretty much everyone else here have pointed out to you, the RTiA1's are not the ideal speakers for reproducing front L/R channel audio in a HT room of your size. If you are limited (for whatever reason) to bookshelf speakers for your mains, you would be better served by the RTiA3/RTi6.

In the final analysis it's your ears--and your wallet.
mr266 likes this.

Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD; DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region)
Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc)
Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM5/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zones 2 & 3)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
That depends on what you are using them for.

As I and pretty much everyone else here have pointed out to you, the RTiA1's are not the ideal speakers for reproducing front L/R channel audio in a HT room of your size. If you are limited (for whatever reason) to bookshelf speakers for your mains, you would be better served by the RTiA3/RTi6.

In the final analysis it's your ears--and your wallet.

Ok thanks for that. I guess I was more confused on him saying they "are decent", meaning the RTi series is decent. But it sounds like people really like them, but that it would be worth getting the RTi6 over the RTi4. Can I please ask then, when crossing the sub over at 80hz, how the RTi6 would be more beneficial? The RTi6 goes 10hz lower, but won't this be negated with the sub? Sorry, I'm just trying to understand the logistics of the answer, which seems to be the higher model would be better.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Ok thanks for that. I guess I was more confused on him saying they "are decent", meaning the RTi series is decent. But it sounds like people really like them, but that it would be worth getting the RTi6 over the RTi4. Can I please ask then, when crossing the sub over at 80hz, how the RTi6 would be more beneficial? The RTi6 goes 10hz lower, but won't this be negated with the sub? Sorry, I'm just trying to understand the logistics of the answer, which seems to be the higher model would be better.
It's not always how low they can go. These are midrange/woofer, and the 6.5-inch over the 5.25-inch gives you increased midrange and clarity. Again, if you're talking about surrounds, then not so important, but a step up if going for Fronts.
Geoff4RFC likes this.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
Old 02-20-2017, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I said earlier, without getting into a long-winded explanation of SPL and other acoustical properties (for which I frankly lack the expertise or pedagogical skills) suffice it to say that the larger speaker is better suited to produce reasonably loud, distortion-free sound in your environment given the stated room volume and distance to the MLP. If you want a more detailed understanding you should read up or ask questions in one of the dedicated audio threads here at AVSForum. In the meantime, perhaps more knowledgeable hands here (such as the DIY speaker folks) will chime in, or you can check out this article for starters: The Decibel (dB) Scale & Audio Rules 101.

Also, you will note that the vast majority of us here and elsewhere on the forum who are using even much larger, more capable speakers than the RTiA3 have them set to small with a x/o of around 80hz in conjunction with a separate powered subwoofer, as recommended by Audyssey.

Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD; DarbeeVision DVP 5000S; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region)
Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc)
Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW); Polk Audio OWM5/BIC America MSR-PRO6 (Zones 2 & 3)
Old 02-20-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As I said earlier, without getting into a long-winded explanation of SPL and other acoustical properties (for which I frankly lack the expertise or pedagogical skills) suffice it to say that the larger speaker is better suited to produce reasonably loud, distortion-free sound in your environment given the stated room volume and distance to the MLP. If you want a more detailed understanding you should read up or ask questions in one of the dedicated audio threads here at AVSForum. In the meantime, perhaps more knowledgeable hands here (such as the DIY speaker folks) will chime in, or you can check out this article for starters: The Decibel (dB) Scale & Audio Rules 101.

Also, you will note that the vast majority of us here and elsewhere on the forum who are using even much larger, more capable speakers than the RTiA3 have them set to small with a x/o of around 80hz in conjunction with a separate powered subwoofer, as recommended by Audyssey.

Thanks for the information. I see in your thread you own the CSi5. Can I ask how you like it and if dialogue sounds clear/crisp perhaps? I know it's a beast, but I've read it's better than the CSi3. Someone is willing to sell it to me for $115, so I'm debating whether to jump on that deal. I like the look of the newer RTiA line better, but I could always save for it down the road. Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I see in your thread you own the CSi5. Can I ask how you like it and if dialogue sounds clear/crisp perhaps? I know it's a beast, but I've read it's better than the CSi3. Someone is willing to sell it to me for $115, so I'm debating whether to jump on that deal. I like the look of the newer RTiA line better, but I could always save for it down the road. Thoughts?
The Csi5 and CsiA6 sound essentially identical. The primary difference is cosmetic, the Csi5 having a bit of pewter trim and the A6 solid black. The slightly curved cabinet of the A6 doesn't cause it to sound much different, if at all. I've been using a Csi5 for the past 18 months while an A6 sits in a storage locker a few miles away.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... I frankly lack the expertise or pedagogical skills...
Whoever said you lack pedagogical skills?

Old 02-20-2017, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know how many different ways I can say it. How about this: GO BIG OR GO HOME!

I purposefully had my teak wall unit reconfigured by a furniture-maker just so that I could accommodate the CSiA6. How's that for a recommendation?

BEFORE

AFTER

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Set-up 001.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	1982217   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010045.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	1982225   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010052.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	1982233  

Last edited by chi_guy50; 02-20-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Whoever said you lack pedagogical skills?
The resident authority on all that I lack is my current (number three and counting) wife.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
My turn to weigh and and "try" to be helpful.

A crossover point is not a cliff. If you send a 70hz signal through your AVR despite the fact your sub is set to 80hz, the sound is still coming out your regular speakers, just at a slightly attenuated (lowered level). If you send a 90hz signal through your AVR, some of it is also coming out of the sub, also slightly attenuated (lowered). The crossover point is simply the top of that curve for both speakers.

This is a "somewhat" decent example of what a crossover actually does. In this example the sub crossover would be somewhere like 120 and the speakers would be somewhere like 60 (making up numbers). Please note I grabbed this in 20 secs of google as I dont have a ton of time to respond.

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Old 02-20-2017, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

... or, as I said a few posts ago, a larger diameter cone is going to move more air than a smaller one. The larger the room, the more air you need to move to make it sound good (not like a small radio on the other side of the room). No matter WHAT sub you are using, the midrange (or midbass) driver needs to BE big to SOUND big.
chi_guy50 likes this.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
... or, as I said a few posts ago, a larger diameter cone is going to move more air than a smaller one. The larger the room, the more air you need to move to make it sound good (not like a small radio on the other side of the room). No matter WHAT sub you are using, the midrange (or midbass) driver needs to BE big to SOUND big.
, , , And that's pedagogy!

Old 02-20-2017, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And that's pedagogy!
I had to look that one up... I guess I don't have the whatever it is that means that.

BTW nice video cabinet you have there. Does it require mechanical ventilation?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had to look that one up... I guess I don't have the whatever it is that means that.
You mean to say you never read the Archie comic books when you were a kid? Mrs. Grundy was the much-put-upon teacher at Riverdale High.

Quote:
BTW nice video cabinet you have there. Does it require mechanical ventilation?
I purchased the cabinet in 1988 and it has even travelled overseas with me (on assignment to the U.S. Embassy in Budapest, Hungary) and back. It originally consisted of five main pieces, the two vertical end pieces and three horizontal middle pieces. It used to have a TV compartment just big enough for a 27" tube TV before the flat screens came along. When I purchased my first LCD TV (Sony KDL-46XBR5), I had the two top center pieces radically redesigned and combined into one large compartment with a valence for LED bias lighting. Last year I had the large center piece altered again to raise the TV platform in order to provide more height for the audio components underneath the TV and to carve out a niche for a larger center channel speaker. Then, more recently, I cut out a large section from the backing in the TV compartment so that I could install a wall mount (Sanus XF228) in anticipation of upgrading from my current Sony XBR-55HX929 to the XBR-65Z9D (which I have just purchased today).

While the entire cabinet has plywood backing, I have cut out ventilation holes for the AVR and power amplifiers. And the AVR has a ventilation fan sitting on top of it for added protection such that the operating temperature seldom ventures beyond about 90°F.

It's been quite an odyssey and this cabinet and I have gone through quite a few changes together--multiple generations of TV's, speakers, A/V gear, . . . and wives!

Old 02-20-2017, 09:39 PM
EdQ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I think you will be happy with the Csi5. I have been running one for years. I think the 6 1/2 drivers give voices that full sound.

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Surrounds | Integra DTR 9.1 - LCR | AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
Old 02-20-2017, 09:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You mean to say you never read the Archie comic books when you were a kid? Mrs. Grundy was the much-put-upon teacher at Riverdale High.
Yeah, I picked up the occasional Archie & Jughead (and Betty and Veronica), but TBH I spent a LOT more time reading Marvel comix. Who could have ever guessed they'd grow up into IMAX movies? I'm just loving the heck out of that!

Old Today, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdQ View Post
I think you will be happy with the Csi5. I have been running one for years. I think the 6 1/2 drivers give voices that full sound.
I concur. When I was looking for speaker advice here 4 years ago to replace a HTiB satellite system with real speakers, the consensus always was (except for extremely small rooms)... you'll never regret getting the biggest center channel that matches the rest of your system. The one regret I have since I upgraded my older Polk RT800i system with monster center CS400i to the LSi line last year is that the LSi line only has a smaller 5.25" driver center channel, no 6.5" woofer option. The difference is noticeable, even in my smallish 15x18 living room, and actually problematic in the summer when the window AC is running.

Must have the LSi's for music though.

Fronts: LSi7
Center: LSiC
Surround: LSiF/X
Sub: Infinity BU-2 - Don't judge me, it was free and I have neighbors.
AVR: Denon X3100W
Adcom GFA-7000 5-channel amplifier
Old Today, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Hello all! Been a bit. Hope all is well with you. It's pretty damn good here!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951238_1488058410508.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1992681  
Old Today, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post
Is that the big room you subdivided or a different room? Looks great.
Old Today, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post
Looks like crap yo.....

I'm jealous actually....

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer