Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1450 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1281Likes

post #43471 of 43476 Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
The newer Signature line has not been out long enough for the guys here to form a solid opinion on them just yet. They do show a lot of promise, but right now do not have much of a track record. Just FWIW. Good luck!
I'd look HARD at the signature line. I really like how they sounded and the price was quite nice too.

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43472 of 43476 Old Today, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
I'd look HARD at the signature line. I really like how they sounded and the price was quite nice too.

I listened to the signature line today. Right next to the RTI A7's.
For my ears, the S55's win hands down. I also was able to listen to the TSX line and frankly, they suck.

The signature series i think is what i am going to purchase. Although i am not a big fan of their center channel speakers aesthetically in this line. Is there another center channel speaker that matches specs wise but might be more pleasing to the eye?
post #43473 of 43476 Old Today, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon smoker View Post
I listened to the signature line today. Right next to the RTI A7's.
For my ears, the S55's win hands down. I also was able to listen to the TSX line and frankly, they suck.

The signature series i think is what i am going to purchase. Although i am not a big fan of their center channel speakers aesthetically in this line. Is there another center channel speaker that matches specs wise but might be more pleasing to the eye?
That's why it's important to actually hear the speakers for yourself. I listened to both the S55's and RTI A7's, back and forth, like you did and came to the exact opposite conclusion. Also, if you don't like the TSX's, then you will not like the TSI's or Monitors, so those should be off of the table too.
If you really like the Signature series, you may want to try the Polk Audio forum. There are several people there that have purchased them (and like them a lot).
oregon smoker likes this.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable

post #43474 of 43476 Old Today, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
That's why it's important to actually hear the speakers for yourself. I listened to both the S55's and RTI A7's, back and forth, like you did and came to the exact opposite conclusion. Also, if you don't like the TSX's, then you will not like the TSI's or Monitors, so those should be off of the table too.
If you really like the Signature series, you may want to try the Polk Audio forum. There are several people there that have purchased them (and like them a lot).

I like the RTI A's but i have read a lot them needing additional power. Which is about what they sounded like, to me. I bet i would like them if they had been connected to an additional power source other than a AVR.
I was really hoping that they would have the RTI A5's but they did not.
Prior to today i had only heard the S50's and the TSX 300's in a poorly laid out best buy store.

I need to chase down someplace to listen to the RTI A5's.
post #43475 of 43476 Old Today, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon smoker View Post
I like the RTI A's but i have read a lot them needing additional power. Which is about what they sounded like, to me. I bet i would like them if they had been connected to an additional power source other than a AVR.
I was really hoping that they would have the RTI A5's but they did not.
Prior to today i had only heard the S50's and the TSX 300's in a poorly laid out best buy store.

I need to chase down someplace to listen to the RTI A5's.
Yeah, the RTI A5's work very well with just an AVR...but you really need a sub with them. Their bass is ok, but they handle everything else so well that a sub just brings them to life.
My personal opinion:
RTI A9's absolutely need extra power. They can sound good without, but you're wasting the money you spent to get the extra bass out of them.
RTI A7's do better with extra power, but don't absolutely need them (your mileage may vary) but of the 3 towers in this line, I think their mids are the worst.
RTI A5 are the best compromise if you have a decent sub. You get the great mids of the 9's, and the sub will take care of what's lacking.
I have the old version of the 5's (RTI8) and I love them for both music and home theater. There are people that think they are too harsh for music, but I do not find that to be the case (and I hate harsh speakers...yeah Klipsch I'm talkin' to you. LOL)
Hopefully you can check out the 5's and compare them to the Signature series. Which ever you choose, I'm sure they will sound great when set up at your home.
oregon smoker likes this.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #43476 of 43476 Old Today, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Excellent rundown of the Rti towers, mr266. I was using the Rti8's as surrounds with some Rti12 mains (they're all still sitting here in the LR). For that, they worked very well, even better than Rti10 surrounds. I think you hit the nail on the head, that the A7's (or 10's) in their effort to add a punchy low end fall short in the midrange dept. While we were in the midst of moving, we used the 8's as mains with a small though articulate sub and they sounded SWEET with just a modestly powered AVR.
mr266 likes this.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page