Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1450 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1387Likes

post #43471 of 43776 Old 02-25-2017, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
The newer Signature line has not been out long enough for the guys here to form a solid opinion on them just yet. They do show a lot of promise, but right now do not have much of a track record. Just FWIW. Good luck!
I'd look HARD at the signature line. I really like how they sounded and the price was quite nice too.

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43472 of 43776 Old 02-26-2017, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
I'd look HARD at the signature line. I really like how they sounded and the price was quite nice too.

I listened to the signature line today. Right next to the RTI A7's.
For my ears, the S55's win hands down. I also was able to listen to the TSX line and frankly, they suck.

The signature series i think is what i am going to purchase. Although i am not a big fan of their center channel speakers aesthetically in this line. Is there another center channel speaker that matches specs wise but might be more pleasing to the eye?
post #43473 of 43776 Old 02-26-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon smoker View Post
I listened to the signature line today. Right next to the RTI A7's.
For my ears, the S55's win hands down. I also was able to listen to the TSX line and frankly, they suck.

The signature series i think is what i am going to purchase. Although i am not a big fan of their center channel speakers aesthetically in this line. Is there another center channel speaker that matches specs wise but might be more pleasing to the eye?
That's why it's important to actually hear the speakers for yourself. I listened to both the S55's and RTI A7's, back and forth, like you did and came to the exact opposite conclusion. Also, if you don't like the TSX's, then you will not like the TSI's or Monitors, so those should be off of the table too.
If you really like the Signature series, you may want to try the Polk Audio forum. There are several people there that have purchased them (and like them a lot).
oregon smoker likes this.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable

post #43474 of 43776 Old 02-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
That's why it's important to actually hear the speakers for yourself. I listened to both the S55's and RTI A7's, back and forth, like you did and came to the exact opposite conclusion. Also, if you don't like the TSX's, then you will not like the TSI's or Monitors, so those should be off of the table too.
If you really like the Signature series, you may want to try the Polk Audio forum. There are several people there that have purchased them (and like them a lot).

I like the RTI A's but i have read a lot them needing additional power. Which is about what they sounded like, to me. I bet i would like them if they had been connected to an additional power source other than a AVR.
I was really hoping that they would have the RTI A5's but they did not.
Prior to today i had only heard the S50's and the TSX 300's in a poorly laid out best buy store.

I need to chase down someplace to listen to the RTI A5's.
post #43475 of 43776 Old 02-26-2017, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
I like the RTI A's but i have read a lot them needing additional power. Which is about what they sounded like, to me. I bet i would like them if they had been connected to an additional power source other than a AVR.
I was really hoping that they would have the RTI A5's but they did not.
Prior to today i had only heard the S50's and the TSX 300's in a poorly laid out best buy store.

I need to chase down someplace to listen to the RTI A5's.
Yeah, the RTI A5's work very well with just an AVR...but you really need a sub with them. Their bass is ok, but they handle everything else so well that a sub just brings them to life.
My personal opinion:
RTI A9's absolutely need extra power. They can sound good without, but you're wasting the money you spent to get the extra bass out of them.
RTI A7's do better with extra power, but don't absolutely need them (your mileage may vary) but of the 3 towers in this line, I think their mids are the worst.
RTI A5 are the best compromise if you have a decent sub. You get the great mids of the 9's, and the sub will take care of what's lacking.
I have the old version of the 5's (RTI8) and I love them for both music and home theater. There are people that think they are too harsh for music, but I do not find that to be the case (and I hate harsh speakers...yeah Klipsch I'm talkin' to you. LOL)
Hopefully you can check out the 5's and compare them to the Signature series. Which ever you choose, I'm sure they will sound great when set up at your home.

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #43476 of 43776 Old 02-26-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Excellent rundown of the Rti towers, mr266. I was using the Rti8's as surrounds with some Rti12 mains (they're all still sitting here in the LR). For that, they worked very well, even better than Rti10 surrounds. I think you hit the nail on the head, that the A7's (or 10's) in their effort to add a punchy low end fall short in the midrange dept. While we were in the midst of moving, we used the 8's as mains with a small though articulate sub and they sounded SWEET with just a modestly powered AVR.
mr266 likes this.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
post #43477 of 43776 Old 02-27-2017, 06:47 PM

For rear speakers from the Signature series.

S15 or S20?
post #43478 of 43776 Old 02-27-2017, 07:40 PM
EdQ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
For rear speakers from the Signature series.

S15 or S20?
I would go with the S20's. What are your side surrounds?

Sent from my Note Edge

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Surrounds | Integra DTR 9.1 - LCR | AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
post #43479 of 43776 Old 02-27-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdQ View Post
I would go with the S20's. What are your side surrounds?

Sent from my Note Edge

Front Mains- S55

Center Channel- S35

Rears- S15/S20

Powered with a Yamaha RX-A1060

Nothing to crazy.
post #43480 of 43776 Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 PM
EdQ

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Front Mains- S55

Center Channel- S35

Rears- S15/S20

Powered with a Yamaha RX-A1060

Nothing to crazy.
S20's for sure.

Sent from my Note Edge

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Surrounds | Integra DTR 9.1 - LCR | AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
post #43481 of 43776 Old 02-28-2017, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreshEntrailsX View Post
Hello all! Been a bit. Hope all is well with you. It's pretty damn good here!

Is that the big room you subdivided or a different room? Looks great.
Quote:
Quote:
Hello all! Been a bit. Hope all is well with you. It's pretty damn good here!
Looks like crap yo.....

I'm jealous actually....
Yep its the big loft. Built the dividing wall about 6 months ago. I diy'ed the 110" screen. Got a BenQ ht2050. Now I have a dedicated 1,200 cubic ft room that sounds really good. Basic room treatments. Only a 2 seater in there. But it works for me. Its defiantly a budget HT.
post #43482 of 43776 Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yep its the big loft. Built the dividing wall about 6 months ago. I diy'ed the 110" screen. Got a BenQ ht2050. Now I have a dedicated 1,200 cubic ft room that sounds really good. Basic room treatments. Only a 2 seater in there. But it works for me. Its defiantly a budget HT.
Well I see your setup and raise you my new sub....

I dont think I could have picked a better sub to compliment my Ultimax 18" driver. Here is the SPL sim from WinISD for the Infinity box (red) and the Dayton box (blue). Both with 650 watts.

They are so close its not funny. Even when both are maxed out, they are within 3db per the simulations.

The plan is to wait a bit then snag a XLS1500 to run the Infinity box, and let the XLS2000 box run the Dayton box. Since both amps will be connected to a single dedicated 20amp breaker I'm confident we wont have any issues with not being able to draw enough current.

The Infinity box can handle ~1200 watts before its in the "danger zone" excursion wise. The XLS1500 will be able to do a bit more than that to allow for some overhead. Alternately I could go with the XLS1000 and know I can go to 100% and not break the subs.... so thats a debate.

The Dayton box can handle all 2100 watts of the XLS2000 and be a bit above the "danger zone" but I know that its got more rated excursion than the 22mm listed, and I dont get much higher than 26mm and basically ride 26mm from about 25hz down to 10hz.

Thats also assuming I actually have the gain @ 100% which is rare.

So I'm a happy camper.

Will be running some REW sweeps post calibration to see how things are shaking out.
Ronman79 and mr266 like this.

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #43483 of 43776 Old 02-28-2017, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

I dont think I could have picked a better sub to compliment my Ultimax 18" driver. Here is the SPL sim from WinISD for the Infinity box (red) and the Dayton box (blue). Both with 650 watts.

They are so close its not funny. Even when both are maxed out, they are within 3db per the simulations.

The plan is to wait a bit then snag a XLS1500 to run the Infinity box, and let the XLS2000 box run the Dayton box. Since both amps will be connected to a single dedicated 20amp breaker I'm confident we wont have any issues with not being able to draw enough current.

The Infinity box can handle ~1200 watts before its in the "danger zone" excursion wise. The XLS1500 will be able to do a bit more than that to allow for some overhead. Alternately I could go with the XLS1000 and know I can go to 100% and not break the subs.... so thats a debate.

The Dayton box can handle all 2100 watts of the XLS2000 and be a bit above the "danger zone" but I know that its got more rated excursion than the 22mm listed, and I dont get much higher than 26mm and basically ride 26mm from about 25hz down to 10hz.

Thats also assuming I actually have the gain @ 100% which is rare.

So I'm a happy camper.

Will be running some REW sweeps post calibration to see how things are shaking out.
Sweet!

Sent from my XR6P10 using Tapatalk

Equipment List: Theater - JVC DLA-X770R / Denon X4300H / Oppo 203 4K BD Player / Polk Audio RTiA9 Towers / Polk CSiA6 Center / Polk 65RT (6), FXi5 (2) Atmos and Surrounds / (4) Polk PSW505 12" Subs / Nvidia Shield TV / Dish Hopper 3 - 4K/ XBOX One S / Harmony Elite / Echo Dot / Tripp Lite USB / Furman Conditioner / Philips Hue Lighting / Monoprice Cabling
post #43484 of 43776 Old 02-28-2017, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Excellent rundown of the Rti towers, mr266. I was using the Rti8's as surrounds with some Rti12 mains (they're all still sitting here in the LR). For that, they worked very well, even better than Rti10 surrounds. I think you hit the nail on the head, that the A7's (or 10's) in their effort to add a punchy low end fall short in the midrange dept. While we were in the midst of moving, we used the 8's as mains with a small though articulate sub and they sounded SWEET with just a modestly powered AVR.
Idle curiosity: Why did you store the RTiAs and keep the RTis for use during your move? I would think you'd want to do that the other way around.

And yes, two of my RT800i towers and the CS400i center are still sitting around my living room also, haha. The towers are serving as speaker stands for the LSiF/X surrounds - those bastards are *heavy* and wall mounting is problematic in my rented space.

I'm actually considering putting the CS400i back into the system even though that will blow up the timbre match. When I listen to serious music it's usually 2-channel with just the LSi7s, anyway.

Fronts: LSi7
Center: LSiC
Surround: LSiF/X
Sub: Infinity BU-2 - Don't judge me, it was free and I have neighbors.
AVR: Denon X3100W
Adcom GFA-7000 5-channel amplifier
post #43485 of 43776 Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Dude that's not a sub, it's a weapon of mass destruction.

Maybe someday...

post #43486 of 43776 Old 02-28-2017, 08:40 PM

Question for the brain trust: Do you think it makes any sense to add to my LSi collection now that we know Polk isn't carrying replacement drivers for them anymore? There are some 9's offered at very good prices on eBay right now that intrigue me. But idk if it makes any sense to spend any money at all on them if Polk isn't going to be able to help me out if I have a problem.

Second question: anybody here have any experience with the VR3 crossover mods for the LSi line? Worth it? Not worth it? I can definitely hear some differences in the before/after sound files he's got posted on SoundCloud for the LSi's... but that's also a pretty significant investment. More than I paid for the speakers, actually. More than twice what I paid for the speakers if I mod the center channel too. And, I have to send him the speakers for an indeterminate amount of time for the installation.

post #43487 of 43776 Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknecht01 View Post
Question for the brain trust: Do you think it makes any sense to add to my LSi collection now that we know Polk isn't carrying replacement drivers for them anymore? There are some 9's offered at very good prices on eBay right now that intrigue me. But idk if it makes any sense to spend any money at all on them if Polk isn't going to be able to help me out if I have a problem.

Second question: anybody here have any experience with the VR3 crossover mods for the LSi line? Worth it? Not worth it? I can definitely hear some differences in the before/after sound files he's got posted on SoundCloud for the LSi's... but that's also a pretty significant investment. More than I paid for the speakers, actually. More than twice what I paid for the speakers if I mod the center channel too. And, I have to send him the speakers for an indeterminate amount of time for the installation.
1. I currently have 2xLSiC, 2xLSi7, 2xLSi15, 4xLSiFX...all in my storage room as I decided to go with JTRs and DIY Sound Group for my theater speakers. Unfortunately, the good deals I would cut you would be offset by the Iowa to PA shipping.

2. Trey (VR3) does awesome work. I have a local friend who traded me a set of VR3 modded LSi9s for a pair of LSi15s in stock form...the 9s were amazing. He then had the 15s done along with the DB840 woofer upgrade and the difference between his 15s and my 15s...considerable.
Only you can determine if the price is worth it to you but if I was keeping my LSis, I would eventually have Trey do all of them.

I keep confusing my intentions with my abilities.
post #43488 of 43776 Old 03-01-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknecht01 View Post
Idle curiosity: Why did you store the RTiAs and keep the RTis for use during your move? I would think you'd want to do that the other way around.
Long story. I had Monitor 70's with M60 surrounds and a CS20 center. Still dissatisfied, I upgraded the center to a Csi5. The difference was obvious, and soon I upgraded to Rti10 mains with Rti8 surrounds to match the Csi5. Eventually NewEgg put RtiA9's on sale at 50% off, so I bought a pair. Then I found an open box CsiA6 online and moved the Rti10's to surround. Eventually all that firepower required external amplification, so I bought an Emo XPA-5. Along the way I bought a pair of used RtiA7's to replace the Rti10 surrounds.

Around that time, we bought a condo in Florida and began planning our retirement. I drove the Monitor 60's to Florida and with an old AVR setup our condo for summertime use, and to rent it out to snowbirds during the winter until we were ready to move. Late 2015 we hired a moving company to move most of our heavy furniture to the condo, including the A9's, A7's and Rti10's, 2 Emo's and a couple Klipsch subs.

Just a week before the movers arrived, NewEgg had a fire sale on Rti12's for $250 each! So I added two Rti12's to the manifest and left the Rti8's at home for when we returned to sell the house. Once we got to Florida, I had all the gear except the Rti12's put into a storage locker. Note, the condo is smaller than our home, but we had planned to eventually move from the condo to a larger place, eventually.

So we used the Rti12's with M60 surrounds for all of last winter. Then in the spring we returned to Ohio to sell our house, which meant clearing out over 30 years of accumulated stuff. While there we were using the Rti8's as mains. Then last August we rented a uHaul and drove the rest of our stuff down to Florida, got rid of the M60's and put the Rti8's at surround. Then just before Christmas, AVS member Enrico decided to sell his LsiM703's. I picked up a used LsiM704 center on eBay and voila, my current setup shown in my sig. Additionally, I configured the Rti12's as stereo speakers along side the LsiM's. For now, the Rti8's still sit disconnected at surround position, as speaker stands for a pair of Rti4's, which seem to match the LsiM's timbre better than any of the other Rti's.

So for now the RtiA's and amps remain in the storage locker, until we move into a larger place. At that time the A9's will be the mains, and the 12's will be used as wides, and will stage the remaining A7's and 10's as surrounds and rears... again, eventually.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
post #43489 of 43776 Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Long story....

So for now the RtiA's and amps remain in the storage locker, until we move into a larger place. At that time the A9's will be the mains, and the 12's will be used as wides, and will stage the remaining A7's and 10's as surrounds and rears... again, eventually.
Haha, life is messy. I was very happy with my RT800i system. Bought a second pair on eBay in Nov 2015 to replace the older RT600s I was using as surrounds and the additional power (and 4-5" extra height on the tweeters) made a BIG difference. Upgraded the CS400 to a CS 400i from a guy on Craigslist around the same time - not sure how much difference that made but it *felt* better having matching blue woofers all the way around. Then another Craigslist seller listed two LSi7 and an LSiC in mint condition for $375. I wasn't planning on going there for my own use, though I was a little dissatisfied with the RT's for music - when you've actually stood in the choir and sat in the orchestra performing the music you like to listen to, there are certain expectations about what it should sound like. I was going to turn them around for $700 or $750 and pocket the profit.

Then I plugged them in just to make sure everything worked right before listing them and played some of the good old music we sang in college.

Pretty soon I was out another $750 for a used Adcom GFA7000 and a reconditioned Denon AVR with pre-outs. Then another $350 for the two LSiF/X surrounds. Sold two of the RT's and the CS400, hoping that someday I can can sell the remaining three old speakers and the old Yammie A720.

post #43490 of 43776 Old 03-02-2017, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Polks parent company buys D+M

"The Vista-based owner of Polk Audio said Wednesday it had acquired D+M Group — the parent company of the Boston Acoustics and other audio/video brands."

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...301-story.html

Living Room: Denon X4000, XPA-5, Polk RTiA9, CSiA6, RTiA3-wides, FXiA4, OWM3, SVS PC12+, 4 Shakers, Epson 5030, VApex 92”, Sony XBR9 52”, PS3, Xbox 360, Darbee, Harmony 1.
Bedroom: Denon X2000, Polk: RTiA3, CSiA4, RTiA1, OWM3, SVS SB12-NSD, Sony XBR-55X850B, Sony BPD-S590, Xbox 360, RPi2-RasPlex, Darbee, Harmony 510.
Home Office: Onkyo 707, Polk: LSiM 703, LSiM 704, Monitor 70, Yamaha SW315 x 2, Turntable, Triple Monitors, Harmony 610.
post #43491 of 43776 Old 03-02-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Polks parent company buys D+M

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnuts View Post
"The owner of Polk Audio said Wednesday it had acquired D+M Group...
So now my Polks and my Denon will get along better...

or maybe they'll start to fight over Thanksgiving dinner.
oregon smoker and mr266 like this.

post #43492 of 43776 Old 03-03-2017, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Polk Signature Series

I've found this post to be extremely helpful, so I figured I'd ask for some advice. I am going to invest in Polks Signature line. 5.1 consisting of S60 fronts S35 center and S20 for the surrounds. I'm unsure of which brand receiver I should go after.. I've heard problems with Onykos not lasting long, any thoughts? Also speaker placement with my surround speakers because of the lay out of my room. Another concern of mine is the laminate floor, any ideas to help make this system sound as good as can be?
post #43493 of 43776 Old 03-03-2017, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Most folks here on forum would recommend a base Yamaha or Denon AVR; much better reliability
srickyr likes this.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050 w/Emotiva XPA-2 (Gen 3)
Revel F206 fronts & M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & RSL C34e in-ceilings
Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Sub10
post #43494 of 43776 Old 03-03-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srickyr View Post
I've found this post to be extremely helpful, so I figured I'd ask for some advice. I am going to invest in Polks Signature line. 5.1 consisting of S60 fronts S35 center and S20 for the surrounds. I'm unsure of which brand receiver I should go after.. I've heard problems with Onykos not lasting long, any thoughts? Also speaker placement with my surround speakers because of the lay out of my room. Another concern of mine is the laminate floor, any ideas to help make this system sound as good as can be?
I forgot to add the pictures of the set up for speaker placement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2980.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	2004369   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2981.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	2004377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2982.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2004393  
post #43495 of 43776 Old 03-03-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Most folks here on forum would recommend a base Yamaha or Denon AVR; much better reliability
A lot of guys on here swear by the better Denons. I started with a Yamaha and moved to a Denon... and all things considered, aside from a minor quibble about the remote control, I preferred the Yamaha. You want to look at the Aventage line, and if you're ever planning on using external amplification, you need at least the 800-level model or higher; the 700 series doesn't have the pre-outs you need for an external amp.

Other guys can perhaps speak to the particular model of Denon you'd want... I don't know as much about them.

You can often find great deals on factory refurbished AVRs from many manufacturers at accessories4less.com.

post #43496 of 43776 Old 03-03-2017, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Personally I'd recommend either Anthem or Marantz over either Denon or Yamaha.

I'm a HUGE fan of Anthem's ARC calibration, and also a huge fan of Marantz's build quality, just make sure you get a XT32 model.

post #43497 of 43776 Old 03-03-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
Quote:

I'm a HUGE fan of Anthem's ARC calibration, and also a huge fan of Marantz's build quality, just make sure you get a XT32 model.
Marantz and Denon are all but identical. DM says there a some internal differences, but none of which equates to a better build quality.

For the OP of this question, just get whatever AVR that fits your budget and has the features you want.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #43498 of 43776 Old 03-03-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 1470
Quote:
Looks like you have side walls for the surrounds. That's the normal position, to the sides of the listening position.

Get a nice area rug for the floor space in front of the listen position.

Nice room.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #43499 of 43776 Old 03-03-2017, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:

That's fine, but bring lots of extra $$ with you.

Primary set-up 5.1.4; Yamaha A2050 w/Emotiva XPA-2 (Gen 3)
Revel F206 fronts & M16 rears; Outlaw X12 Sub & RSL C34e in-ceilings
Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polks LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Sub10
post #43500 of 43776 Old 03-03-2017, 03:25 PM

I appreciate all the feed back! I'm just really looking for a receiver with a second zone. I'd probably just keep a 5.1 for some time before considering more speakers. My only concern with the speakers on the side is the one on the right hand side is on the same wall as that washroom which means people walking past might hit it. I thought about cutting out a section of the wall... Kinda like boxing out the dry wall sorta like an in-wall shelf. Would that mess with the effect of that speaker? But then I may just be overthinking it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page