Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1451 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1295Likes
post #43501 of 43520 Unread 03-03-2017, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by srickyr View Post
I've found this post to be extremely helpful, so I figured I'd ask for some advice. I am going to invest in Polks Signature line. 5.1 consisting of S60 fronts S35 center and S20 for the surrounds. I'm unsure of which brand receiver I should go after.. I've heard problems with Onykos not lasting long, any thoughts? Also speaker placement with my surround speakers because of the lay out of my room. Another concern of mine is the laminate floor, any ideas to help make this system sound as good as can be?

I have the same speakers coming except I opted for S55's.
I went with a Yamaha Aventage 1060 for the AVR. It has a 2nd zone. More power. And some other features that i wanted.
Prior to this i have had nothing but Onkyo receivers that were given to me from friends upgrading.
From all of my reading here and other places it seemed like a solid choice. Fry's also had it on sale for $729 last weekend. That pretty much made the decision a no brainer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43502 of 43520 Unread 03-03-2017, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon smoker View Post
I have the same speakers coming except I opted for S55's.
I went with a Yamaha Aventage 1060 for the AVR. It has a 2nd zone. More power. And some other features that i wanted.
Prior to this i have had nothing but Onkyo receivers that were given to me from friends upgrading.
From all of my reading here and other places it seemed like a solid choice. Fry's also had it on sale for $729 last weekend. That pretty much made the decision a no brainer.
So you opted for the S55 instead, any reason behind it?
post #43503 of 43520 Unread 03-03-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srickyr View Post
So you opted for the S55 instead, any reason behind it?

1. Space
2. Money

My wife isnt thrilled about me moving forward and spending the money. But its my cash.
So to keep harmony and kinda compromise, I settled on the S55's. But that doesnt mean some S60's wont find their way into the house in the future.
srickyr likes this.

post #43504 of 43520 Unread 03-03-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Marantz and Denon are all but identical. DM says there a some internal differences, but none of which equates to a better build quality.

For the OP of this question, just get whatever AVR that fits your budget and has the features you want.
I will simply respectfully agree to disagree and say I don't want to be drawn into a war over it, but Marantz is indeed a step up over Denon IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
That's fine, but bring lots of extra $$ with you.
Depends on which models your comparing. For Anthem since they all have pre-outs if you need more wattage (which for the signature I doubt) you can just get the MRX-3XX series and call it. Yes its missing many of the features you find on other AVR's but most of those are duplicates (Pandora, DNLA Server access, Spotify) of programs on other devices no doubt in your setup (Xbox One, blu-ray player, TV) so to me its not really a selling feature.

For Marantz again you are getting most of the features you would need and a decent wattage, but you are correct in that the XT32 models are a bit pricey, but again IMHO worth it,

Regardless you want to buy something with HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 so you have some longevity with it. I also buy with the intent of it being a 3-5 year investment so I spend a bit more up front so I enjoy it more.
srickyr likes this.

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #43505 of 43520 Unread 03-04-2017, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
I will simply respectfully agree to disagree and say I don't want to be drawn into a war over it, but Marantz is indeed a step up over Denon IMHO.

Depends on which models your comparing. For Anthem since they all have pre-outs if you need more wattage (which for the signature I doubt) you can just get the MRX-3XX series and call it. Yes its missing many of the features you find on other AVR's but most of those are duplicates (Pandora, DNLA Server access, Spotify) of programs on other devices no doubt in your setup (Xbox One, blu-ray player, TV) so to me its not really a selling feature.

For Marantz again you are getting most of the features you would need and a decent wattage, but you are correct in that the XT32 models are a bit pricey, but again IMHO worth it,

Regardless you want to buy something with HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 so you have some longevity with it. I also buy with the intent of it being a 3-5 year investment so I spend a bit more up front so I enjoy it more.

I have to agree with @Ender s on this, when i was looking for a receiver i read multiple articles stating the Marantz was higher (i think it had to do with better DAc's and some other inner stuff) but to be quite honest. I dont think i can tell the difference between a Denon and a Marantz. The Marantz was cheaper and had all the features i was looking for so when i needed an atmos processor i went with what i was used to another Marantz (AV7702).

I have previously used an Onkyo and found the GUI a bit lacking. I helped someone setup a Yamaha Receiver and it was so confusing that its scarred me off any Yamaha Processor granted it was not a top tier Yamaha, but i just couldnt relate, everything was just so different from the Marantz.

In the future or if i need to upgrade my Pre-Pro now, it'll be a Marantz, Denon or Onkyo in that order. If i can afford it ill like to try an Anthem, read nothing but good things about it.

Living Room: Pre-Pro- Marantz AV7702, Amps- Crown X1500 & XLS1000(5). Mains- RTi12, Center- CSi5, SR- RTiA1, SRB-RTi8, Atmos- 620RT(4), Sub- RBH I-12 & BIC F12, TV-LG55LB7200, PJ-Benq HT1075, Screen 106", UBD- Samsung K8500, Bluray-LGBP440, Misc- Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Chromecast, DSTV HD PVR, Wii U, DVP-5000s.
Bedroom:AVR- Marantz SR5009, Mains-75T, TV-VIZIO E500i-B1, Bluray-iVid BD780, Misc- Fire TV, Chromecast Audio, Sennheiser RS170, DSTV HD, QNAP TS-451+.
post #43506 of 43520 Unread 03-14-2017, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hey guys Im looking at the fxia6 and the rtia3 for my surrounds to match my rtia12's I'm a little torn on which ones to buy.

FXiA6's seem to be the better sounding ones with the bi- di- pole config.

RTiA3's look pretty but don't think the sound would be as good.

Anyone want to chime in and give me your thoughts would be greatly appreciated tyia!

Spoiler!
post #43507 of 43520 Unread 03-14-2017, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Depends on your room config and surround placement. If you have a deep room and looking for side surrounds, go with the Fxi's. If you have a wide room and looking more for wide surrounds go with the A3's. If by surrounds you mean rears, then switch around those answers (A3 for deep rears, Fxi for wide rears).
mr266 likes this.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
post #43508 of 43520 Unread 03-14-2017, 06:08 PM

thanks rob and yes long skinny room and these would be the main surround speakers. Im really liking the fx still reading other reviews to but much appreciated for your comment. Hows florida? Im still in ohio and its cold and snowy today

Spoiler!
post #43509 of 43520 Unread 03-15-2017, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you can mount FxiA6's on the side walls, they will provide a wide, spacious surround experience. The A3's are too directional for a deep room, and it would be noticeable that the sound has moved to the side. That's why I like to put directional surrounds more toward the front or rear, not the sides. You will be happy with the Fxi's... I have a pair in storage now and intend to use them in place of the Rti4's someday (still having work done on our condo).

Florida is great! I know this hasn't been the harshest of winters in Ohio (60's one day, 20's the next), but down here it's been mild, even warm most of the past few months. Chilly today due to the front hitting the northeast. They say it will be the longest cool spell this season... four days. My wife's sister visited us from Mansfield last week and flew back home just in time for winter's last gasp there. At least you (and she) aren't further east into PA. I hear they got it worse.
azz7686 likes this.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050

Last edited by RobLee; 03-15-2017 at 07:19 AM.
post #43510 of 43520 Unread 03-15-2017, 07:21 AM

I purchased the polk S20 bookshelf speakers and I want to wall mount them. I have looked at the different wall mount options and am curious if I can get some recommendations.
The video secu mounts look like they are what I need.
Any suggestions? Please.
post #43511 of 43520 Unread 03-15-2017, 09:26 AM
EdQ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
Hey guys Im looking at the fxia6 and the rtia3 for my surrounds to match my rtia12's I'm a little torn on which ones to buy.

FXiA6's seem to be the better sounding ones with the bi- di- pole config.

RTiA3's look pretty but don't think the sound would be as good.

Anyone want to chime in and give me your thoughts would be greatly appreciated tyia!
Do you plan on doing Atmos? If so, the A3's would be better.

I ran the FXi5's on the sides before switching.

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Surrounds | Integra DTR 9.1 - LCR | AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
post #43512 of 43520 Unread 03-15-2017, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need help choosing in-walls

Hi folks,

I am in the process of preparing to move into a new house. Right now, the sheetrock is still not hung so its an opportune time to run speaker wire and such. The room is large, about 28' x 14' with 10' ceilings - TV would be right around the middle of the room. As it is, my wife is not approving my current speakers making the move - my configuration at the moment is: RTi8's, CSi5, FxiA4 and a Velodyne DPS-12 sub. She is okay with either a soundbar or in-wall speakers however since our primary movie and tv room will be our living room.
My current thinking is for a 7.1 in-wall/ceiling set-up: 2 or 4 of the 265-LS for LR and possibly rears. The 255c-LS for Center channel. Lastly, the 900-LS (either 2 or 4) for 2 ceiling and maybe 2 rear if I dont use the 265-LS there. I am powering everything through a Yamaha A2020 AVR, so while I have 7.1, I don't have Atmos. I'm also considering just skipping the front in-walls entirely and getting a GoldenEar 3D Array XL with a couple cheaper surrounds.
We use our stuff for 95% movies and TV, 5% music. I am really hoping to build a system for under $2000 that is on par or better than my current system, I realize a lot of people dislike the in-walls but I wanna make wifey happy. Any suggestions??
post #43513 of 43520 Unread 03-15-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Properly setup in-walls are better than nothing.

If it was me since sheetrock ISNT up yet, I'd run as much 12 gauge (or even 10 if you like overkill) to as many places you can, even ones you cant use now but might in the future.

Not a problem to leave wire unused, MUCH bigger pain to try and pull more after the fact lol...

The speakers your choosing are very decent and as long as they are all from the same line (and they are) you should be fine.

I would HIGHLY suggestion going with your initial thought of in-walls and a 7.1 setup, even if you end up with another brand (not that I suggest that either necessarily).

If you do 95% movies, focus on that. Make sure that you set the room up right according to Dolby 7.1 specs, or even 5.1 if your room wont allow 7.1 (mine wont).

Again, a properly setup system, even 5.1 will IMHO sound better than a cobbled together 7.1, 9.2 system.

And you have an even better scenario in that you can truly place the speakers just about anywhere, even if you have to adjust some studs (which isnt fun but can be done).

Any pics you have of the layout would help as well.
mr266 likes this.

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #43514 of 43520 Unread 03-15-2017, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have a layout print yet, I'll work on it. I can tell you I won't have sidewalls closer than 10-12' from the couch. With that In mind my rears will have to go behind the couch. My only option from there will be to run 2 ceiling speakers above the couch. So I don't know if that will work for 7.1 but I guess it would work for a future 5.1.2 atmos setup. I'm definitely gonna wire for future atmos set up so I'm thinking of wiring for 4 ceiling speakers.
How much worse would these in-walls be to what I currently have? It looks like they are the best Polk offers but I really want to make sure it's gonna perform great for movies.
post #43515 of 43520 Unread 03-15-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas41 View Post
How much worse would these in-walls be to what I currently have? It looks like they are the best Polk offers but I really want to make sure it's gonna perform great for movies.
Your room dictates how good they sound more than the speakers. As long as you can lay them out appropriately and if your "lucky" find some WAF appropriate room treatments, they will sing.

I wouldn't say they are worse at all, the LS series is equivalent to the LSiM series IIRC, so its a step up from RTiA's......

It 100% comes down to placement and the room. Can you place them decently, can you adjust some/all of your seating to be in the right location to minimize nulls, can you install some sort of room treatments to address reflections, etc. The more of those things you check off the more ANY speaker will sound good in a room.

Get the room right, or as good as you can, and then you really can see what the speakers you have now (and later on) can do.
azz7686 likes this.

post #43516 of 43520 Unread 03-15-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdQ View Post
Do you plan on doing Atmos? If so, the A3's would be better.

I ran the FXi5's on the sides before switching.
No Atmos for quite some time so I'm leaning towards the fix's.

Spoiler!
post #43517 of 43520 Unread 03-15-2017, 04:23 PM
EdQ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by azz7686 View Post
No Atmos for quite some time so I'm leaning towards the fix's.
The FXi's will work well. Di-Pole if they are close to you. Otherwise Bi-Pole.
azz7686 likes this.

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Surrounds | Integra DTR 9.1 - LCR | AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
post #43518 of 43520 Unread Yesterday, 11:04 AM

Well i finally got everything installed and have started enjoying my system.
Very happy with the Polk Signature series so far.
post #43519 of 43520 Unread Yesterday, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally sold the last of my Monitors... M60 towers, M30's on stands, CS10 center, small Yammie AVR (but with HD audio!) .. I didn't even list them anywhere. A couple guys who were working on our condo noticed that I had some speakers stashed in a corner. I promised him a sub as soon as I can pick it up from the storage locker. Slowly, things are becoming manageable.

There's still a nice CS20 center and a pair of Tsi100's at my nephew's house back in Ohio. He'll never use them... he's happy with the Sony's we were using last fall while we had the house on the market. If anyone's interested, drop me a line.

BTW I kept the Rti12's hooked up as stereo speakers when I upgraded the HT to LsiM's. I still like the deep, full, robust sound of the 12's over the thin, delicate, frail sound of the LsiM's for music (though it does become taxing on the ears eventually). But for background music, they're great. Several people have mentioned how good they sound.

post #43520 of 43520 Unread Today, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Adorama has lots of the LSiM line marked down 50+% right now, including the 706c. Midnight Mahogany does not seem to be included in the current offer. Details available via Slick Deals .net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread