Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1452 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1302Likes

post #43531 of 43556 Old 03-26-2017, 12:07 PM
EdQ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedg8gt View Post
Hello sir, thank you fro the response. I'm not sure exactly how much room I'll have. In the pict I attached, That's the room, just the current layout of the sellers stuff. So I'm thinking I'm going to put my couch/seating area on the wall where their tv is; and my screen where their couch is. The wall on the left side of the pic is a tad smaller because in the back corner is a small door to the balcony. That's why I was considering the FXi 4 or 6 and doing a really good 5.1 over the 7.1. And I could always add 2 speakers later. I was told the FXi speakers would give me better sound and everything over just having 2 s20s. What's your opinion?
Like I said before, if you don't plan on doing Atmos. The FXia6 would sound good on the sides.
I ran the FXi5's for side-surround for a long time and they sound great. I switched to Monopoles when I upgraded to Atmos.

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Surrounds | Integra DTR 9.1 - LCR | AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43532 of 43556 Old 03-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdQ View Post
Like I said before, if you don't plan on doing Atmos. The FXia6 would sound good on the sides.
I ran the FXi5's for side-surround for a long time and they sound great. I switched to Monopoles when I upgraded to Atmos.

Ok. Yeah as of right now, I think it's to small to do Atmos and no way to really get speakers in the ceiling or anything. Unless you think 2-s20's would be better than the FXi.
post #43533 of 43556 Old 03-26-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I couldn't find the FXi5's. But since you owned something similar to A6, would you recommend the A6 over say the S20 or another book shelf type rear speaker for the rears? Lol. I need your ears to help me make my purchase. Lol.

post #43534 of 43556 Old 03-26-2017, 07:10 PM
EdQ

Quote:
I couldn't find the FXi5's. But since you owned something similar to A6, would you recommend the A6 over say the S20 or another book shelf type rear speaker for the rears? Lol. I need your ears to help me make my purchase. Lol.
That room is small. If the speakers are going to be a few feet away, I would do the FXiA6. That would eliminate any localization.

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Surrounds | Integra DTR 9.1 - LCR | AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
post #43535 of 43556 Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 157
[QUOTE=chi_guy50;51789665]I sure hope that setup sounds great because . . .

All cats are grey in the darkThe picture of the CS1 was taken from above to show the mounting system--can't be seen from a seated position and gets the speaker as close to the ceiling as possible and is exactly in the corner of a 12' wide room. The wire suspending the Monitors is invisible--speaker looks like it's suspended in air. It's in a condo with concrete ceilings and function is king.

Samsung UN75HU8550FXZA, SEK 3500 OCB in den, Sony XBR79X900B in LR, JVC RS600, Grandview 120" 1.3g curved screen in Batcave Mancave
Polk LSiM703 fronts, RTi-12 rears, LsiC and LSiM 706 centers, Monitor 40 Heights, Monitor 60 FW, ED A6t sides, Oppo 203
Two Emotiva XPA-5's for the Beds and TC, BasX-7 for the tops, Marantz AV7702MKII in Mancave until consumer-grade 13+ ch Pre-pro is available.
post #43536 of 43556 Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

Quote:
That room is small. If the speakers are going to be a few feet away, I would do the FXiA6. That would eliminate any localization.
What does localization mean? And yes sir, their going to be wall mounted above the couch, above the left and right head/headrest, or above the coach and more to the side towards shoulder or ears level. Being new to home theatre audio, Im not sure of perfect placement for movie theatre sound.
post #43537 of 43556 Old Today, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Quote:
What does localization mean? And yes sir, their going to be wall mounted above the couch, above the left and right head/headrest, or above the coach and more to the side towards shoulder or ears level. Being new to home theatre audio, Im not sure of perfect placement for movie theatre sound.

Not to steal anyones thunder here but I think I'll give it a shot. Localization is where your ears can place where the sound is coming from. In a surround sound envirnonment you want the sound to be dispersed in a way that envelopes you into the action. You want the sound to reflect off walls, ceilings etc. so you can't tell it's coming from any one place but rather it seems as if it's coming from everywhere. This is why Dolby recommends placing your side suround speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration roughly 3 feet higher then your listening position rather then just at ear level pointing straight at the sides of your head.
mr266 likes this.
post #43538 of 43556 Old Today, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post
Not to steal anyones thunder here but I think I'll give it a shot. Localization is where your ears can place where the sound is coming from. In a surround sound envirnonment you want the sound to be dispersed in a way that envelopes you into the action. You want the sound to reflect off walls, ceilings etc. so you can't tell it's coming from any one place but rather it seems as if it's coming from everywhere. This is why Dolby recommends placing your side suround speakers in a 5.1 or 7.1 configuration roughly 3 feet higher then your listening position rather then just at ear level pointing straight at the sides of your head.
That is no longer Dolby's recommended speaker placement. In a 5.1 configuration, they recommend placing the surrounds just above ear height. Further, in order to accommodate immersive audio, Dolby has issued the following guidance (source: Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guidelines, April 2015):

"The placement of all listener-level speakers should follow these recommendations, which are based on ITU-R BS.775-3:

All listener[-level] speakers should be at the same height, typically 3.9 feet (1.2 meters), which is ear level for the average seated listener (as defined in ITU-R BS.1116-1). If possible, the height of the rear speakers should be the same as the height of the front speakers. If the room design makes this impractical, or impossible, the rear speakers may be higher than the front speakers. However, we suggest that the height of the rear speakers not be more than 1.25 times the height of the front speakers."

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #43539 of 43556 Old Today, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
That is no longer Dolby's recommended speaker placement. In a 5.1 configuration, they recommend placing the surrounds just above ear height. Further, in order to accommodate immersive audio, Dolby has issued the following guidance (source: Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guidelines, April 2015):

"The placement of all listener-level speakers should follow these recommendations, which are based on ITU-R BS.775-3:

All listener[-level] speakers should be at the same height, typically 3.9 feet (1.2 meters), which is ear level for the average seated listener (as defined in ITU-R BS.1116-1). If possible, the height of the rear speakers should be the same as the height of the front speakers. If the room design makes this impractical, or impossible, the rear speakers may be higher than the front speakers. However, we suggest that the height of the rear speakers not be more than 1.25 times the height of the front speakers."
Well, screw them.... I reject your & their reality and substitute my own (which is the old dolby one since my surrounds are 6 feet in the air, and I just put holes in thew all and routed cables to them, and I refuse to do it again)...

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #43540 of 43556 Old Today, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Well, screw them.... I reject your & their reality and substitute my own (which is the old dolby one since my surrounds are 6 feet in the air, and I just put holes in thew all and routed cables to them, and I refuse to do it again)...
seconded. For the same reason.
post #43541 of 43556 Old Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch View Post
seconded. For the same reason.

Not a problem, folks.

Those elevated "surrounds" can be re-utilized as your new overhead speakers for immersive audio. Just place some new surround speakers at ear level to the side and back of the MLP (where they rightly belong) and you're all set up for 7.1.4! Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buggy whip.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	2055337  

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #43542 of 43556 Old Today, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not a problem, folks.

Those elevated "surrounds" can be re-utilized as your new overhead speakers for immersive audio. Just place some new surround speakers at ear level to the side and back of the MLP (where they rightly belong) and you're all set up for 7.1.4! Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy!]
Again love you brother but ain't happening lol. 5.2 was hard enough to get setup with my room. 7.2 isn't possible and ATMOS is a dream.

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #43543 of 43556 Old Today, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hey guys! Those of you that are running RTI A9's (or used to), did you guys find speakers that fit on top for Atmos? Or did you just mount speakers up high for direct?

I'm not seeing anything from Polk for thus purpose so I guess I'll have to go with something else.

What say you?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V1801
LG 55B6 OLED
post #43544 of 43556 Old Today, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I would guess that some OWM3's would work nicely as heights for Atmos.

BTW my surrounds sit atop a pair of Rti8's.... however tall those are.
fastninja76 likes this.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
post #43545 of 43556 Old Today, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
I would guess that some OWM3's would work nicely as heights for Atmos.

BTW my surrounds sit atop a pair of Rti8's.... however tall those are.
Hmmm. When I googled "Polk atmos", that's what came up. Have you heard them by chance?

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V1801
LG 55B6 OLED
post #43546 of 43556 Old Today, 06:41 PM
EdQ

Quote:
My thunder. lol You are correct for no Atmos configuration. Except I don't think its 3 feet. The idea is anyone in the MLP can hear each speaker.

post #43547 of 43556 Old Today, 06:44 PM
EdQ

Quote:
Keep in mind that was written with Atmos in mind. You base speakers should be ear level.
There is really no reason to use bi/di pole speakers. Atmos will take care of the 3D sound. That is why they recommend Monopoles

Last edited by EdQ; Today at 07:22 PM.
post #43548 of 43556 Old Today, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja76 View Post
Hmmm. When I googled "Polk atmos", that's what came up. Have you heard them by chance?

The OWM3 are great, versatile satellites although tiny. Their bigger brother, the OWM5, is quite a bit beefier but almost as versatile in a larger (and more expensive) package. I have three pairs of the OWM5 and used to have a pair of the OWM3 and can recommend them both for either height or surround duty.
fastninja76 likes this.

post #43549 of 43556 Old Today, 06:45 PM
EdQ

Quote:
Hey guys! Those of you that are running RTI A9's (or used to), did you guys find speakers that fit on top for Atmos? Or did you just mount speakers up high for direct?

I'm not seeing anything from Polk for thus purpose so I guess I'll have to go with something else.

What say you?

I just mounted some S15's for my height speakers since I have vaulted ceilings.
fastninja76 likes this.
post #43550 of 43556 Old Today, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Again love you brother but ain't happening lol. 5.2 was hard enough to get setup with my room. 7.2 isn't possible and ATMOS is a dream.
No guts, no glory, bubbele!

All I have to work with is a living room and am constrained by WAF (and my own aesthetic dictates), but I still have 14 speakers arrayed in my main listening zone and am wired for (and have sitting in a closet) a third pair of in-ceiling speakers that I held off installing only because there are no mainstream AVR/SSP's that can deliver native signals to more than four overheads.

The sky (or the ceiling)'s the limit, you know.

post #43551 of 43556 Old Today, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Keep in mind that was written with Atmos in mind. You base speaker should be ear level.
There is really no reason to use bi/di pole speakers. Atmos will take care of the 3D sound. That is why they recommend Monopoles
I disagree 100%. For those of us with a 5.1 setup, dipole/bipole help with the diffuse sound as compared to direct firing speakers.

I've done the A/B testing between a set of LSi F/x's and a set of LSi 7's in their place. Hands down the F/x's were better.

If I was doing 7.1, then I agree with you on the side surrounds being direct firing, but for me its not possible so the dipoles help fill things in.

Quote:
No guts, no glory, bubbele!

All I have to work with is a living room and am constrained by WAF (and my own aesthetic dictates), but I still have 14 speakers arrayed in my main listening zone and am wired for (and have sitting in a closet) a third pair of in-ceiling speakers that I held off installing only because there are no mainstream AVR/SSP's that can deliver native signals to more than four overheads.

The sky (or the ceiling)'s the limit, you know.
Yeah, not happening as wiring that many speakers would require me to literally drop the entire ceiling to run the wires, and that isnt a topic even worth broaching.

And heck in a 16 x 18 room using 14 LSi speakers (to timbre match) would require 14 channels off amplification which would not be cheap either.....

I'm happy for you, but honestly my 5.1 setup sounds better to me than many of the theaters we visit, so I'm happy with it until we build, and when/if that happens, THEN I will go balls to the wall with something INSANE in the basement.

For now my LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Dayton Ultimax 18 & 4x12 Infinity DIY subs | B&K 200.5 (375wpc @ 4 ohm) | Crown XLS2000 | 3 dedicated 20amp circuits for gear setup will have to suffice lol....

I'm already in the top 1% of HT guys in general, just toward the bottom on this site (which is full of the upper .01%)

post #43552 of 43556 Old Today, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For now my LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Dayton Ultimax 18 & 4x12 Infinity DIY subs | B&K 200.5 (375wpc @ 4 ohm) | Crown XLS2000 | 3 dedicated 20amp circuits for gear setup will have to suffice lol....

post #43553 of 43556 Old Today, 07:25 PM
EdQ

Quote:
I disagree 100%. For those of us with a 5.1 setup, dipole/bipole help with the diffuse sound as compared to direct firing speakers.

I've done the A/B testing between a set of LSi F/x's and a set of LSi 7's in their place. Hands down the F/x's were better.

If I was doing 7.1, then I agree with you on the side surrounds being direct firing, but for me its not possible so the dipoles help fill things in.
I think there is some confusion. I am only talking about Atmos. x.x.2 or x.x.4. They recommend monopoles.

Now with a standard 5.1 or 7.1, yes di/bi pole would help.

post #43554 of 43556 Old Today, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
I have a couple pair but no longer use them. They have zero bottom end but are fine for reproduction above say 120Hz. Their value is that they are very small and very easy to mount. They come with a mounting bracket and have several sets of mounting holes so they can go in corners or where the ceiling meets the wall. From a sonic standpoint, they can blend with just about any product line. I used them as surrounds with a pair of Sony's. I think Polk lists or listed them as members of the Rti family. Again, they are small, so do not expect big sound from them. They are more for filling in, so I would think they would be suitable for Atmos heights.
fastninja76 likes this.

Denon AVR-4520ci, Polk LsiM703's, 704c, Rti4 surrounds, some Klipsch subs. Bedroom: Lsi9's, Onkyo TX-8050
post #43555 of 43556 Old Today, 07:57 PM

Quote:
The OWM3 are great, versatile satellites although tiny. Their bigger brother, the OWM5, is quite a bit beefier but almost as versatile in a larger (and more expensive) package. I have three pairs of the OWM5 and used to have a pair of the OWM3 and can recommend them both for either height or surround duty.
I did see those owm5's. They sell for about $200 a piece but I'm not sure it would be worth the increased cost for the size of my room.

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V1801
LG 55B6 OLED
post #43556 of 43556 Old Today, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Quote:

All listener[-level] speakers should be at the same height, typically 3.9 feet (1.2 meters), which is ear level for the average seated listener (as defined in ITU-R BS.1116-1). If possible, the height of the rear speakers should be the same as the height of the front speakers. If the room design makes this impractical, or impossible, the rear speakers may be higher than the front speakers. However, we suggest that the height of the rear speakers not be more than 1.25 times the height of the front speakers.

didn't realize they changed it. Three feet above has always worked well for me for side surrounds in a 5.1 and 7.1 configuration

"
Quote:
Quote:

LOL
Quote:
Quote:
My thunder. lol You are correct for no Atmos configuration. Except I don't think its 3 feet. The idea is anyone in the MLP can hear each speaker.
Haha. Yeah I was not referring to Atmos and I guess they changed it. I'll be d**ned lol. Wow this place blew up since Iast checked in 14ish hours ago.

Last edited by viper186; Today at 09:33 PM. Reason: Errors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page