Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1453 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1312Likes
post #43561 of 43577 Unread Yesterday, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
The most appealing aspects of the OWM speakers are their small size and form-factor, making them easy to mount and adapt to different room types. As long as you have realistic expectations on their performance, they can work well for Atmos/surround duty. In my experience, speaker placement is particularly important between the height speakers and surrounds to maximize separation, more-so than when using ceiling/top speakers. I use two pairs of OWM-3's as height speakers in my living room.

I think I'm sold!

Too bad my AVR only supports Atmos for the front two...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V1801
LG 55B6 OLED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43562 of 43577 Unread Yesterday, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
The most appealing aspects of the OWM speakers are their small size and form-factor, making them easy to mount and adapt to different room types. As long as you have realistic expectations on their performance, they can work well for Atmos/surround duty. In my experience, speaker placement is particularly important between the height speakers and surrounds to maximize separation, more-so than when using ceiling/top speakers. I use two pairs of OWM-3's as height speakers in my living room.
That's a nice, clean, unobtrusive installation for a living room and the perfect application for the OWM line.

FWIW, you can install the OWM5 in the identical fashion since they can be oriented either horizontally or vertically.
tezster likes this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #43563 of 43577 Unread Yesterday, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja76 View Post
I think I'm sold!

Too bad my AVR only supports Atmos for the front two...
Well, obviously you need to replace your AVR right now!

Did I mention that we love to spend other people's money here?
oregon smoker and fastninja76 like this.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

post #43564 of 43577 Unread Yesterday, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
Well, obviously you need to replace your AVR right now!

Did I mention that we love to spend other people's money here?
Hahaha right?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yamaha RX-A 1060
Emotiva BASX A3
Polk Audio RTi A9
Polk Audio CSi A6
PSA V1801
LG 55B6 OLED
post #43565 of 43577 Unread Yesterday, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedg8gt View Post
Well I've finally narrowed it down. With being a smaller room and coach basically a couple inches from wall, I'm going with 5.1 and using FXi a6 or 7.1 and using 4-s10's since their the smallest bookshelf speakers. You all the professionals here, which one would you all do?
Since your couch is so close to the wall, I'd suggest 5.1 and FXiA6
wickedg8gt likes this.
post #43566 of 43577 Unread Yesterday, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
That's a nice, clean, unobtrusive installation for a living room and the perfect application for the OWM line.

FWIW, you can install the OWM5 in the identical fashion since they can be oriented either horizontally or vertically.
Thanks The OWM-5's were definitely on my radar, but I couldn't find them for a reasonable price in Canada.
post #43567 of 43577 Unread Yesterday, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just want to say thank you all for all your alls help to a newbie as myself. But anywho, while I'm at it, I'm considering using better speaker wire than my cheap 16 gauge; especially with these much bigger stronger speakers. Would you all do 14 or 12 or do you all actually run 16?
post #43568 of 43577 Unread Today, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 858
Quote:
I just want to say thank you all for all your alls help to a newbie as myself. But anywho, while I'm at it, I'm considering using better speaker wire than my cheap 16 gauge; especially with these much bigger stronger speakers. Would you all do 14 or 12 or do you all actually run 16?
12 for at least your front 3, all if possible, otherwise 14 for your surrounds.

16 is like a death sentence for a speaker IMHO

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
post #43569 of 43577 Unread Today, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Speaker wire is a hot topic around here, almost like asking about religion.

Objectively, the best two-strand copper speaker wire for your setup will depend principally on the speaker's resistance and the length of the run (and, depending on local building codes, whether you will be running the wires in-wall).

Assuming all your speakers are rated at 8 Ohms, 14AWG will be more than adequate for any runs up to around 50 feet. Since 12AWG is harder to deal with (and a little more expensive) I would only suggest using it if your runs are longer than 50 feet or speaker resistance is 6 Ohms or lower. If the run is under 50 feet, you could certainly use the 16AWG, but I myself would rather err on the side of caution and upgrade to 14AWG for a nominal cost.

For good quality, low-cost products, I recommend Monoprice, specifically this one for in-wall installation and this one for in-room runs. Price will be about $0.30 per foot including shipping.

IMHO, unless you are an audiophile, there is no need to spend gobs of money on speaker wire or obsess over signal degradation beyond the above guidance.

Last edited by chi_guy50; Today at 06:21 AM.
post #43570 of 43577 Unread Today, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^ Agree with chi_guy50 re: speaker wire gauge. I used this in my build: https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
post #43571 of 43577 Unread Today, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Speaker wire is a hot topic around here, almost like asking about religion.

Objectively, the best two-strand copper speaker wire for your setup will depend principally on the speaker's resistance and the length of the run (and, depending on local building codes, whether you will be running the wires in-wall).

Assuming all your speakers are rated at 8 Ohms, 14AWG will be more than adequate for any runs up to around 50 feet. Since 12AWG is harder to deal with (and a little more expensive) I would only suggest using it if your runs are longer than 50 feet or speaker resistance is 6 Ohms or lower. If the run is under 50 feet, you could certainly use the 16AWG, but I myself would rather err on the side of caution and upgrade to 14AWG for a nominal cost.

For good quality, low-cost products, I recommend Monoprice, specifically this one for in-wall installation and this one for in-room runs. Price will be about $0.30 per foot including shipping.

IMHO, unless you are an audiophile, there is no need to spend gobs of money on speaker wire or obsess over signal degradation beyond the above guidance.
Dont use Monoprice wire. I had the wire you suggested for in-room runs and it turned green and oxidized within a year and needed replaced.

I'd just go with the in-wall stuff, and specifically again AVOID monoprice, unless you like replacing it constantly due to oxidation. I personally prefer pricey stuff from KimberKable (I use it for my front 3 only), but for someone starting out a REALLY GOOD BARGAIN midgrade cable is the Canare 4S11 sold by BlueJeansCable. They even sell premade cables in which the wire is welded to the banana plug (again at a decent price IMHO) to ensure it cannot ever oxidize. For your front 3, those premade cables are a good option, and then use the Canare for the remainder. The Canare runs 1.53 bucks a foot.

Additionally some HiFi shops that do install have speaker wire they sell by the foot. I bought 33 feet of Audioquest FLX 14/4 for like 25 bucks at one point and I LOVED that wire.

I also have purchased bulk wire from DouglasConnection and his Furez wire is good stuff to (ignore the spool prices, look at the price per foot options). I am using his 14/2 for my 2 DIY sub cables (with Nuetrick connectors), and his 12/2 for my LSi F/x's. It was super easy to work with. Again its not like 10 cents a foot, but its well within what I would consider a "reasonable" price range. Doug's 14/2 wire is .75 cents a foot.

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Last edited by EndersShadow; Today at 06:44 AM.
post #43572 of 43577 Unread Today, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^I have my in wall monoprice wires installed for more than a year now. No sign of any oxidation whatsoever. And my receiver rack with all these wires are located close to my furnace and humidifier.

PS. Just looked up the BlueJeans website and Canare4S11. It's a four conductor wire specifically for biamping/single stereo speakers. Not sure if the OP is looking for that. Also the Canare is not UL listed, so OP has to use discretion if using it for in-wall. The Belden series could be better.

To put OP's mind at complete ease regarding speaker cables and future proofing, I recommend these cables: Speaker Wire - that's right - Speaker Wire

chi_guy50 likes this.

Last edited by Hellohowareyou; Today at 07:51 AM.
post #43573 of 43577 Unread Today, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellohowareyou View Post
^I have my in wall monoprice wires installed for more than a year now. No sign of any oxidation whatsoever. And my receiver rack with all these wires are located close to my furnace and humidifier.
Thats awesome you haven't had that problem, however due to my personal experiences, and of those of others I recommended the monoprice wire to (who had the same happen), I personally no longer recommend it. I should also point out the alternatives I suggested are still very affordable and are IMHO a better product than the Monoprice, offered at a very reasonable cost.

Quote:
PS. Just looked up the BlueJeans website and Canare4S11. It's a four conductor wire specifically for biamping/single stereo speakers. Not sure if the OP is looking for that. Also the Canare is not UL listed, so OP has to use discretion if using it for in-wall. The Belden series could be better.
I dont disagree, however 99% of speakers have 2 sets of binding posts (which is mostly a marketing ploy, but we wont go down that rabbit hole), so on the speaker end you are fine, just use one wire per binding post. On the receiver end, you just double up the wire (making sure you are using the same wiring scheme as you did on the speaker) for your + and - connections and wha-la your done. Alternately, you could just double up the connectors for a single + and - connection which would lower the gauge of that wire to something like 12 or 10 gauge. However the Belden could be a better option, I just dont remember if its more expensive or not.

I can tell you at min that the Furez wire I suggested is rated for in-wall as its is UL Listed NEC Type CL3 for In-Wall Use, and uses your standard 99.997% OFHC C10100 Copper Construction (High Conductivity Oxygen Free Copper).

And lastly, for me, I want to run speaker wire once and once only. I get the largest gauge I can use with whatever restraints I have (has to go under carpet, through walls, etc) and then I'm done.

The Furez wire I was able to run under my carpet pad by removing the outer sheath for the section going under the carpet and uncoiling the braid so it stood side by side and then taping it together like that. You can't see that its there at all and then for the remaining parts I left the cable untouched, up to and including inside the wall.

post #43574 of 43577 Unread Today, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh yeah, did I mention "hot topic"?

post #43575 of 43577 Unread Today, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, did I mention "hot topic"?
maybe once or twice. Again we both can skirt around the pricey v not pricey stuff and agree that the Furez wire is really not bad at all price wise. And for what most folks want, 14 gauge is perfectly fine. For those with OCD like myself, the bigger the gauge the better, and botique wires to boot, however I dont suggest that for everyone .

12 or 14 gauge wire from a decent manufacture, again personally not a monoprice fan for this scenario (however I do use them for lots of other stuff) and then your done.

post #43576 of 43577 Unread Today, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

To put OP's mind at complete ease regarding speaker cables and future proofing, I recommend these cables: Speaker Wire - that's right - Speaker Wire

I have been using various Monoprice speaker cables for many years without a single issue. Check out the numerous customer reviews and you'll see that they are through the roof.

I would have to assume therefore that any problems, such as oxidization, are extremely rare and either due to one-off production flaws or application conditions resulting in contact moisture. That's not much consolation if it happens to you, but the product is most definitely a solid choice and an excellent bang-for-the-buck.

But to each his own, and there are lots of other good choices out there, including BJC.

ETA: I also like Mediabridge for all sorts of A/V cables (including HDMI). I got this 4-wire 14AWG CL2 product from them to connect my dining room (Zone 2) stereo speakers when I replaced our wall-to-wall carpeting with solid bamboo floors last year. I ran it behind the baseboards and under an exterior doorway and wanted a single sleeve for ease of installation. Both ends terminate in wall plates--from Monoprice, of course!
Hellohowareyou likes this.

Last edited by chi_guy50; Today at 09:09 AM.
post #43577 of 43577 Unread Today, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
I have been using various Monoprice speaker cables for many years without a single issue. Check out the numerous customer reviews and you'll see that they are through the roof.

I would have to assume therefore that any problems, such as oxidization, are extremely rare and either due to one-off production flaws or application conditions resulting in contact moisture. That's not much consolation if it happens to you, but the product is most definitely a solid choice and an excellent bang-for-the-buck.

But to each his own, and there are lots of other good choices out there, including BJC.

ETA: I also like Mediabridge for all sorts of A/V cables (including HDMI). I got this 4-wire 14AWG CL2 product from them to connect my dining room (Zone 2) stereo speakers when I replaced our wall-to-wall carpeting with solid bamboo floors last year. I ran it behind the baseboards and under an exterior doorway and wanted a single sleeve for ease of installation. Both ends terminate in wall plates--from Monoprice, of course!
I also have been using Monoprice 12AWG for about 2 years with no issues and also recommended it too other people and they also havent had any oxidation issues.

Could it have been a bad batch?

Living Room: Pre-Pro- Marantz AV7702, Amps- Crown X1500 & XLS1000(5). Mains- RTi12, Center- CSi5, SR- RTiA1, SRB-RTi8, Atmos- 620RT(4), Sub- RBH I-12 & BIC F12, TV-LG55LB7200, PJ-Benq HT1075, Screen 106", UBD- Samsung K8500, Bluray-LGBP440, Misc- Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Chromecast, DSTV HD PVR, Wii U, DVP-5000s.
Bedroom:AVR- Marantz SR5009, Mains-75T, TV-VIZIO E500i-B1, Bluray-iVid BD780, Misc- Fire TV, Chromecast Audio, Sennheiser RS170, DSTV HD, QNAP TS-451+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread