Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1455 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1330Likes

post #43621 of 43632 Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
Currently have an all Polk set up except for sub. Front soundstage is RTiA3 and CSiA6. I don't have any complaints except sometimes I feel dialogue and vocals could use more punch to them. Anyone here listened to both the RTi line and the SVS Prime series? Would this be more of a lateral move or an upgrade? I'm about 85% HT, 15% music. Thanks.
I know this isn't what you were after but could it be placement/settings issues? I ask because i use a Csi5 center channel in a 30ft deep room and i've never found it lacking even when i'm all the way at the back.

Living Room: Pre-Pro- Marantz AV7702, Amps- Crown X1500 & XLS1000(5). Mains- RTi12, Center- CSi5, SR- RTiA1, SRB-RTi8, Atmos- 620RT(4), Sub- RBH I-12 & BIC F12, TV-LG55LB7200, PJ-Benq HT1075, Screen 106", UBD- Samsung K8500, Bluray-LGBP440, Misc- Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Chromecast, DSTV HD PVR, Wii U, DVP-5000s.
Bedroom:AVR- Marantz SR5009, Mains-75T, TV-VIZIO E500i-B1, Bluray-iVid BD780, Misc- Fire TV, Chromecast Audio, Sennheiser RS170, DSTV HD, QNAP TS-451+.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43622 of 43632 Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyyour View Post
I know this isn't what you were after but could it be placement/settings issues? I ask because i use a Csi5 center channel in a 30ft deep room and i've never found it lacking even when i'm all the way at the back.
It's certainly possible. Placement is fine. Ear level, not in an enclosed space, sitting on top of media unit with edge of grill at edge of media unit. I do sit in the middle of the room which is not always ideal. So room acoustics could be an issue. It's our living room so not much re-arranging to do. I've also noticed if I turn off mutlieq dialogue is a little crisper/clearer so there may be some funky audyssey effects going on too. However I enjoy all the other benefits of multieq, dynamic eq so not willing to give that up. If I do ever upgrade my speakers maybe I'd be better off trying a horn speaker like the Klipsch RP series which may have better vocal clarity/punch. Probably not going to do anything for a while. Like I said for the most part I'm happy with my set up.

Samsung PN59D8000 | Denon AVR-1912 | Tivo Roamio via OTA | ATV4 | Media PC running Plex server/Plex Media Player
Front L/R Polk RTiA3 | Center Polk CSiA6 | Front Heights Polk RCi55 | Surround Polk OWM3 | Sub SVS PC12-Plus
post #43623 of 43632 Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Quote:
It's certainly possible. Placement is fine. Ear level, not in an enclosed space, sitting on top of media unit with edge of grill at edge of media unit. I do sit in the middle of the room which is not always ideal. So room acoustics could be an issue. It's our living room so not much re-arranging to do. I've also noticed if I turn off mutlieq dialogue is a little crisper/clearer so there may be some funky audyssey effects going on too. However I enjoy all the other benefits of multieq, dynamic eq so not willing to give that up. If I do ever upgrade my speakers maybe I'd be better off trying a horn speaker like the Klipsch RP series which may have better vocal clarity/punch. Probably not going to do anything for a while. Like I said for the most part I'm happy with my set up.
IMO if you have a problem with dialogue levels in your current setup it is not attributable to either the speakers or their positioning. I assume that you have tried bumping up the center channel level a few dB? Many users find that Audyssey sets the SW (and occasionally the center as well) too low for their liking. There's nothing inherently wrong in running these (or other channels) hotter if that is your taste.

OTOH, your AVR is getting a bit long in the tooth and has only the basic Audyssey MultEQ. You could conceivably benefit greatly from the more advanced MultEQ XT32 as illustrated below (not to mention some of the other features on the newer AVR's):

If you want to go this route--and assuming you will wish to stick with Denon--you should look at the current X3400H or higher model (due out in July) or one of the older models such as last year's X3300W.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703

post #43624 of 43632 Old 04-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
IMO if you have a problem with dialogue levels in your current setup it is not attributable to either the speakers or their positioning. I assume that you have tried bumping up the center channel level a few dB? Many users find that Audyssey sets the SW (and occasionally the center as well) too low for their liking. There's nothing inherently wrong in running these (or other channels) hotter if that is your taste.

OTOH, your AVR is getting a bit long in the tooth and has only the basic Audyssey MultEQ. You could conceivably benefit greatly from the more advanced MultEQ XT32 as illustrated below (not to mention some of the other features on the newer AVR's):

If you want to go this route--and assuming you will wish to stick with Denon--you should look at the current X3400H or higher model (due out in July) or one of the older models such as last year's X3300W.
Thanks. I've had similar thoughts. My center is bumped just 1db but perhaps I will run it hotter. I certainly run my sub hot, 8db. I have recently discovered the addictive nature of good bass. I'm considering adding a second sub to deal with a mid bass null at my MLP and in that case MultiEQ XT32 would be of significant benefit as well as it has independent sub calibration. So my next 2 upgrades will likely be another SVS PC12+ and an newer AVR. Not sure when but hopefully within the next year. I do have a new UMIK-1 and REW so I could get some more objective data but struggling to find the time to set it up and run it. Life has been busy. This is a fun hobby though and one of the little things that makes life more enjoyable.

Samsung PN59D8000 | Denon AVR-1912 | Tivo Roamio via OTA | ATV4 | Media PC running Plex server/Plex Media Player
Front L/R Polk RTiA3 | Center Polk CSiA6 | Front Heights Polk RCi55 | Surround Polk OWM3 | Sub SVS PC12-Plus
post #43625 of 43632 Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked: 981
Quote:
Thanks. I've had similar thoughts. My center is bumped just 1db but perhaps I will run it hotter. I certainly run my sub hot, 8db. I have recently discovered the addictive nature of good bass. I'm considering adding a second sub to deal with a mid bass null at my MLP and in that case MultiEQ XT32 would be of significant benefit as well as it has independent sub calibration. So my next 2 upgrades will likely be another SVS PC12+ and an newer AVR. Not sure when but hopefully within the next year. I do have a new UMIK-1 and REW so I could get some more objective data but struggling to find the time to set it up and run it. Life has been busy. This is a fun hobby though and one of the little things that makes life more enjoyable.
I can empathize. I had a perfectly good Denon AVR-3311CI that I sold in 2014 just so that I could upgrade to my current AVR-X5200W for immersive audio. Now I'm planning to repeat the exercise in order to splurge on the upcoming AVR-X7400H if it offers enough new features to entice me (and doesn't scrap any of the current features that I enjoy such as FW speaker support).

However, after umpteen speaker upgrades I am now perfectly happy with my RTi setup and can't envision dumping these babies anytime soon. Of course, since that encompasses 13 total speakers in the main zone, it would be quite a substantial enterprise to replace them.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #43626 of 43632 Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Since your couch is so close to the wall, I'd suggest 5.1 and FXiA6
Hey, quit pointing that laser, you're going to put someone's eye out with that!

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #43627 of 43632 Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedg8gt View Post
I just want to say thank you all for all your alls help to a newbie as myself. But anywho, while I'm at it, I'm considering using better speaker wire than my cheap 16 gauge; especially with these much bigger stronger speakers. Would you all do 14 or 12 or do you all actually run 16?
"Good" copper wire is the way to go, running heavy loads, go thick, 16 and 14 are both good. I use the best cable on the planet...."made by me" I've been making my own cables for several years, currently using Furez 10 X 2 from Douglasconnection.com with solid copper connectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
12 for at least your front 3, all if possible, otherwise 14 for your surrounds.

16 is like a death sentence for a speaker IMHO
Hey, where the H did everyone go? I popped in over yonder and saw many MIA's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr266 View Post
I've been using FosPower 14AWG Speaker Wire [14 Gauge | 50 FT] Premium Spooled Oxygen-Free Copper OFC Speaker Wire with Clear PVC Jacket & Polarity Stripe since I changed out all my cables and wires, and have been very happy. Can get it on Amazon for about 17 bucks for 50ft.
That cable is for armatures.....RaysCables I tell you, RaysCables

Oh, and BTW for all of my oldies (you too Rob), I am finally house hunting, after 5 long years with sub silence, if it works out right, I found a house (that even the wife likes) with a cave better than my old one...............I can't friggin stand it.............dontchoo dare catch our next gut wrenching episode when Ge-off says, "what is that, a sub woofer cable?"

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat

Set up:
Integra 70.4--Oppo 103--LG50"Plasma--Emotiva: XPA-3, XPA-2 x 2--PolkAudio: RTiA9 x 4--CSiA6--FXiA6 x 4--Epik: Empire x 2--XBOX 360--Furez 10awg homemade cables
post #43628 of 43632 Old 04-20-2017, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I'm new to this I just got two Polk s55 speakers because my old left speaker sub blew out. After some time with the new speakers, I noticed my left speaker again on the lows, there is some distortion.I don't know if my receiver is blowing out my speakers. It's a Sony STR‑DH500. Or is it that it's just a bad driver? Here is a video of what it sounds like
.. I really need the help. Thanks.
post #43629 of 43632 Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 730
[QUOTE=Geoff4RFC;52402505

That cable is for armatures.....RaysCables I tell you, RaysCables
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd have my buddy make me some cables, but he's busy house hunting. LOL

WDTV Live SMP with WD EX4100 NAS
Polk RTI8 Front, Polk CSI5 Center, Polk RTI4 Surround
MTX SW2 12” SUB, Sharp AQUOS LC-70C6400U
URC-WR7 Universal Remote
Motorola QIP7232 (P2) FIOS DVR, Sony BDP-S590 Blu Ray Player
Marantz SR5010 AVR,Technics SL-B20 Turntable
post #43630 of 43632 Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Sounds like you might want to re-run your Audyssey Calibration. You know how to set Sub before you start, right?

After I run Audyssey, I too like to bump the Polk Audio CS-II Center up a tiny bit also, but not too much or it's over-powering ... that's a lot of sound coming right at us in the face.

And my room is 18x20, and even larger if you include the adjacent spaces in open concept. I could not really imagine having even another PSW-505 sub going. This is coming from the guy who likes to watch and listen to concerts and see if I can manage to crank it up to 100%. The pictures and windows are already vibrating.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI ~ wrat-Amp 630 watts )
AppleTV-4 / Panasonic dmp-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TWC)
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media Server PC / Synology 12tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / psw-505 12-Inch Sub
post #43631 of 43632 Old Today, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Currently have an all Polk set up except for sub. Front soundstage is RTiA3 and CSiA6. I don't have any complaints except sometimes I feel dialogue and vocals could use more punch to them. Anyone here listened to both the RTi line and the SVS Prime series? Would this be more of a lateral move or an upgrade? I'm about 85% HT, 15% music. Thanks.
I find that the quality of the center channel dialog varies a lot from movie to movie and show to show. I have tinnitus (ringing in the ear) so I am very susceptible to poor quality audio where often I hear the words fine, but have trouble making them out. I bump the the center channel up to compensate. My wife does not have the hearing issues I have but likes the center elevated a few dBs as well.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

LG 65EF9500
Oppo BDP-103
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSiM 702, LSi 7
Rythmik D15SE sub
Outlaw 975
Outlaw 7125
post #43632 of 43632 Old Today, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Sounds like you might want to re-run your Audyssey Calibration. You know how to set Sub before you start, right?

After I run Audyssey, I too like to bump the Polk Audio CS-II Center up a tiny bit also, but not too much or it's over-powering ... that's a lot of sound coming right at us in the face.

And my room is 18x20, and even larger if you include the adjacent spaces in open concept. I could not really imagine having even another PSW-505 sub going. This is coming from the guy who likes to watch and listen to concerts and see if I can manage to crank it up to 100%. The pictures and windows are already vibrating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post
I find that the quality of the center channel dialog varies a lot from movie to movie and show to show. I have tinnitus (ringing in the ear) so I am very susceptible to poor quality audio where often I hear the words fine, but have trouble making them out. I bump the the center channel up to compensate. My wife does not have the hearing issues I have but likes the center elevated a few dBs as well.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Agree, certainly a lot of variability in content. I did re-run audyssey with very careful mic placement and running center 2db hot now. I think it's better. Now unfortunately what I have come to realize after doing more careful listening around the room is that I seem to have a huge mid bass null in the entire center of the room including the MLP. Seems to be those chest slam frequencies. Will have to eventually run REW to figure out exactly where and what frequency range. With my new sub I've been more focused on the ULF stuff which is great at the MLP. I think the only fix is going to be a second sub just have very limited placement options.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread