Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1456 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1332Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #43651 of 43657 Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
I looked at those LSiM and don't plan to spend that much for Polks, nor do I want to replace all my other speakers (still rolling along and still happy with them), so I may be stuck with the RTi series if I wish to upgrade them. I figured I'd be able to subsidize some of the cost by selling the RTi10s. A new TV is on the horizon, but the 4k (75") I want I don't want to give them that kind of money and I know it will be much cheaper by years end, so I will wait them out. I also am in the market for a UHD player also. We'll see.

Thanks
The RTi to RTiA step is so small its not worth it. Additionally while the A9's may be better midrange, its not enough to justify the price. TBH you wont get JACK out of the RTi if you try to resell them. No one will pay anything for them, you will be lucky to get 200 out of the pair tops, ask @RobLee .

Again if you want better, you need to up your game significantly and just buying the A9's aint gonna do it, and I'm afraid you will be disappointed if you get them.

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
EndersShadow is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #43652 of 43657 Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
Methodical_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
The RTi to RTiA step is so small its not worth it. Additionally while the A9's may be better midrange, its not enough to justify the price. TBH you wont get JACK out of the RTi if you try to resell them. No one will pay anything for them, you will be lucky to get 200 out of the pair tops, ask @RobLee .

Again if you want better, you need to up your game significantly and just buying the A9's aint gonna do it, and I'm afraid you will be disappointed if you get them.
Other that the LSiM, what do you suggest?

HT Configuration: 7.2.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Mono 7 amp l Behringer FBQ3102 EQ l Polk RTi10s l Polk CSI-5 l Polk FXi-30 (x4) l Infinity ERS-610 (x4) - Atmos l SVS PB-2000 l Polk PSW 505 (temp) l Oppo BD-93 l Denon CD player/Turntable 1 Cassette Deck l

Subwoofer Trim and Audyssey EQ setup guide
Methodical_1 is offline  
post #43653 of 43657 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
Other that the LSiM, what do you suggest?
Not a clue bro. This is where things get subjectively too hard to make suggestions. The best thing I can tell you is to take your time, go to some different stores that actually know how to setup speakers right and try different brands.

Make a demo cd of your favorite songs and listen to them and see what you think.

There are a lot of different options out there, and what I like brand and sonic signature wise may not be your cup of tea and vice versa.

Hence I'm hesitant to make suggestions. Its always best to get out there and listen to as many speakers as you can, in your price range or not. Bookshelf or towers.

If you truly do have enough subs for your liking, then a floorstander isnt really "needed" and that may open up better options for you.

There are too many speakers out there to name, so get out there, listen to as many as you can to figure out what kind you like. Do you prefer ribbon tweeters like in Emotiva speakers, do you like dome tweeters like in Polk, Planar magnetic like in Salk, etc...... Do you like electrostatics like Martin Logan, or perhaps full on Planar like Magnepan...... Are horns like those in Klipsh speakers your deal?

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
EndersShadow is online now  
 
post #43654 of 43657 Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Methodical_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 591
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
Not a clue bro. This is where things get subjectively too hard to make suggestions. The best thing I can tell you is to take your time, go to some different stores that actually know how to setup speakers right and try different brands.

Make a demo cd of your favorite songs and listen to them and see what you think.

There are a lot of different options out there, and what I like brand and sonic signature wise may not be your cup of tea and vice versa.

Hence I'm hesitant to make suggestions. Its always best to get out there and listen to as many speakers as you can, in your price range or not. Bookshelf or towers.

If you truly do have enough subs for your liking, then a floorstander isnt really "needed" and that may open up better options for you.

There are too many speakers out there to name, so get out there, listen to as many as you can to figure out what kind you like. Do you prefer ribbon tweeters like in Emotiva speakers, do you like dome tweeters like in Polk, Planar magnetic like in Salk, etc...... Do you like electrostatics like Martin Logan, or perhaps full on Planar like Magnepan...... Are horns like those in Klipsh speakers your deal?
Sounds fair. That's going to be tough. The one stereo store that existed I don't think exist anymore. I may contact Crutchfield since they are not too far from me and visit their shop.

HT Configuration: 7.2.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Mono 7 amp l Behringer FBQ3102 EQ l Polk RTi10s l Polk CSI-5 l Polk FXi-30 (x4) l Infinity ERS-610 (x4) - Atmos l SVS PB-2000 l Polk PSW 505 (temp) l Oppo BD-93 l Denon CD player/Turntable 1 Cassette Deck l

Subwoofer Trim and Audyssey EQ setup guide
Methodical_1 is offline  
post #43655 of 43657 Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
Senior Member
 
LFE Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I am putting about 275 watts to each of my rtia9/csia6 and they just absolutely sound beautifully. I tend to lean just a bit to Tender's suggestion about going from the rti10 to the rtia9 being not much of an upgrade. I think the 9's will give you a tad more mid bass punch which i prefer for movies (i don't care about 2 channel music). As you can see, i have dual JTR Cap 1400s, as well as big ass towers and i love the way a full tower sounds compared to bookshelves. I think you are fine for power since you are at 200/channel.

If you are just wanting to upgrade something cause you have money to burn. I would think about selling those pb2000 and upgrading your current subs to something ALOT more impactful.

Dedicated Theater Room: 7.2.4 (ATMOS upcoming)
SI 2.35 5-Series Pure Gray CinemaScope 133"; Epson 6040UB
RTIA9 Polk, CSIA6 Polk, FXIA6 Polk / 2017 Dual JTR Cap 1400 V2 Black Oak Finish
Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
Panamax M5400-PM
Emotiva XMC1, Emotiva 3 channel amp Gen 3, Emotiva 4 channel amp Gen 3

Last edited by LFE Junkie; Yesterday at 06:33 PM.
LFE Junkie is online now  
post #43656 of 43657 Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
EndersShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 4,689
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
Sounds fair. That's going to be tough. The one stereo store that existed I don't think exist anymore. I may contact Crutchfield since they are not too far from me and visit their shop.
A lot of places have a 30 day return policy, internet direct or big box store. I'd try some different speakers and see what you like/dont like. Just be sure you know the policy, but IMHO even if you have to pay return shipping a couple times, its a cheap price to pay to hammer down the speakers you really like without a ton of effort.

If I'm being honest about evaluating a speaker I'm looking for mainly the following:

1. Does it get to at least 80hz (because below that you should be using subs TBH)
2. Is it picky about placement
3. Is the sweet spot narrow or wide
4. How big and bad is the best center in that brand and models lineup?
5. Can I afford at least the front 3 at the same time and then afford to later on without a ton of cost add surrounds in pairs?

IMHO #4 is the most important. You can always get towers for L/R if you have bookshelves to start with for money reasons, but you CANT always get a better center as some lines dont have it.

Personally my fav center of all time is the Paradigm Studio CC-690 as its a big bad boy of a center. But I'm a fan of Paradigm myself and dont want to push my personal preferences on you. Simply show you that a big bad center is possible and a good idea to ensure you really get all the dialog your supposed to get

My Setup | FS: Nothing right now

Quote: There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick
EndersShadow is online now  
post #43657 of 43657 Old Today, 05:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
A lot of places have a 30 day return policy, internet direct or big box store. I'd try some different speakers and see what you like/dont like. Just be sure you know the policy, but IMHO even if you have to pay return shipping a couple times, its a cheap price to pay to hammer down the speakers you really like without a ton of effort.

If I'm being honest about evaluating a speaker I'm looking for mainly the following:

1. Does it get to at least 80hz (because below that you should be using subs TBH)
2. Is it picky about placement
3. Is the sweet spot narrow or wide
4. How big and bad is the best center in that brand and models lineup?
5. Can I afford at least the front 3 at the same time and then afford to later on without a ton of cost add surrounds in pairs?

IMHO #4 is the most important. You can always get towers for L/R if you have bookshelves to start with for money reasons, but you CANT always get a better center as some lines dont have it.

Personally my fav center of all time is the Paradigm Studio CC-690 as its a big bad boy of a center. But I'm a fan of Paradigm myself and dont want to push my personal preferences on you. Simply show you that a big bad center is possible and a good idea to ensure you really get all the dialog your supposed to get
I don't know a lot about speakers but the very first time i saw a pic of the Paradigm Studio CC-690 and Paradigm Studio 100. I fell in love; they look beautiful and from what i've read sound amazing as well. The center channel is MASSIVE but rightly so. I hope to hear them one day or better still own them

Living Room: Pre-Pro- Marantz AV7702, Amps- Crown X1500 & XLS1000(5). Mains- RTi12, Center- CSi5, SR- RTiA1, SRB-RTi8, Atmos- 620RT(4), Sub- RBH I-12 & BIC F12, TV-LG55LB7200, PJ-Benq HT1075, Screen 106", UBD- Samsung K8500, Bluray-LGBP440, Misc- Nvidia Shield, Apple TV, Chromecast, DSTV HD PVR, Wii U, DVP-5000s.
Bedroom:AVR- Marantz SR5009, Mains-75T, TV-VIZIO E500i-B1, Bluray-iVid BD780, Misc- Fire TV, Chromecast Audio, Sennheiser RS170, DSTV HD, QNAP TS-451+.
shyyour is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off