Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 1458 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1360Likes
post #43711 of 43726 Unread 05-19-2017, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_guy50 View Post
That's just hyperbolic nonsense, plain and simple. None of Polk's products are state-of-the-art audiophile quality, but then neither do they sport a five-figure MSRP.

Virtually all of Polk Audio's products are well made, backed by both a five-year warranty and superlative customer service, and very affordable at the regularly available discount prices.

Not everyone has the budget, room size, understanding neighbors, or WAF approval to allow for superior, near reference level LFE reproduction. For those folks--particularly at a price point at or under $200--Polk subs are a very good choice.
I was surprised the first time I read some of those comments. My first exposure to Polk speakers was probably 30 years ago and it may have been their SDA line, or something like that. Polk seemed pretty highly regarded at the time. All I know is that those speakers were big, sounded good to a teenager, and I couldn't afford them.

Adorama has some pretty crazy LSiM/Yamaha package deals right now for someone that has 3K-4K to throw towards their first home theater or an "upgrade".

I don't know whether this is considered kosher, but I'm just going to post the link, https://slickdeals.net/f/10158824-po...age=2#comments

I priced out one of those packages, and factoring in the 50% off price for the LSiM speakers, you are getting the Yamaha 2060 AVR for around 50 bucks. I know Adorama has had better deals on the 703s. I picked up two for $625 back in January with an Amex $25 promotion. So, even at 50% off, I guess they must be making a decent little profit. The 2060 may not have enough juice to drive all of those, so some external amplification might be called for, which would up the price.

I probably should not even comment on Polk's subs because, as mentioned, I have no experience with them. If they can be had for under 200 bucks, perhaps they are a decent deal. If I were budget constrained, I might still try to save a couple hundred more and pick up something like the RSL Speedwoofer 10. That's based on nothing more than my assumption that the RSL sub would be a considerable upgrade over the Polk.

There are a lot of variables to consider and I'm certainly not going to tell someone what to do. Most of the time I don't even know what I'm doing myself. I'm just throwing out random food for thought.

Last edited by B T C; 05-19-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #43712 of 43726 Unread 05-19-2017, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
... For those folks--particularly at a price point at or under $200--Polk subs are a very good choice.
I agree. I used the 505s for many years and I was ok with them. They are a steal these days at $199 for someone on a tighter budget.

HT Configuration: 7.2.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Mono 7 amp l Behringer FBQ3102 EQ l Polk LSiM 707s l Polk LSiM 706c l Polk FXi-30 (x4) l Infinity ERS-610 (x4) - Atmos l SVS PB-2000 l Polk PSW 505 (temp) l Oppo BD-93 l Denon CD player/Turntable 1 Cassette Deck l

Subwoofer Trim and Audyssey EQ setup guide
post #43713 of 43726 Unread 05-19-2017, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
...So, even at 50% off, I guess they must be making a decent little profit.
None of them are ever losing money, just a smaller profit margin.

Beside, they had/have no choice with the 50% off sale - they would not move them since many other places followed Polks lead on the sale. I got mine from Crutchfield and if they did not follow Polks lead, guess where I would've purchased my speakers.

HT Configuration: 7.2.4 l Panasonic Plasma (65") l Denon X4300H l Mono 7 amp l Behringer FBQ3102 EQ l Polk LSiM 707s l Polk LSiM 706c l Polk FXi-30 (x4) l Infinity ERS-610 (x4) - Atmos l SVS PB-2000 l Polk PSW 505 (temp) l Oppo BD-93 l Denon CD player/Turntable 1 Cassette Deck l

post #43714 of 43726 Unread 05-19-2017, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical_1 View Post
I agree. I used the 505s for many years and I was ok with them. They are a steal these days at $199 for someone on a tighter budget.
There is a deal posted in the deals forum for a PSW10 for 75 bucks. At that price it seems it would almost have to be a decent deal.

Quote:
None of them are ever losing money, just a smaller profit margin.

Beside, they had/have no choice with the 50% off sale - they would not move them since many other places followed Polks lead on the sale. I got mine from Crutchfield and if they did not follow Polks lead, guess where I would've purchased my speakers.
I'm sure they are never losing money. It just makes you wonder what kind of profit margin they have at MSRP pricing.
post #43715 of 43726 Unread 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is a deal posted in the deals forum for a PSW10 for 75 bucks. At that price it seems it would almost have to be a decent deal.

I don't think that sub is better than the 505 though

I'm sure they are never losing money. It just makes you wonder what kind of profit margin they have at MSRP pricing.
If it's like jewelry, then lot. It does make you wonder though.

post #43716 of 43726 Unread 05-19-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Adorama has some pretty crazy LSiM/Yamaha package deals right now for someone that has 3K-4K to throw towards their first home theater or an "upgrade".

I don't know whether this is considered kosher, but I'm just going to post the link, https://slickdeals.net/f/10158824-po...age=2#comments

I priced out one of those packages, and factoring in the 50% off price for the LSiM speakers, you are getting the Yamaha 2060 AVR for around 50 bucks. I know Adorama has had better deals on the 703s. I picked up two for $625 back in January with an Amex $25 promotion. So, even at 50% off, I guess they must be making a decent little profit. The 2060 may not have enough juice to drive all of those, so some external amplification might be called for, which would up the price.
That is an insanely great deal if you have the bucks to swing it. As you point out, they're essentially giving you an A-2060 (which, at 140WPC, should be sufficiently powerful for most rooms at less than reference volume) for $50 in addition to the 50% discount on the speakers.

Quote:
There are a lot of variables to consider and I'm certainly not going to tell someone what to do. Most of the time I don't even know what I'm doing myself. I'm just throwing out random food for thought.
Just remember the old adage about why male drivers won't consult a map or stop to ask for directions: You're not lost as long as you don't admit it.

Quote:
I also had the PSW505 at one point and thought it was good bang for the buck. You can often find it new for around $180 or less (see here).

Quote:
In a word: it's YUUUUUUUGE!

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #43717 of 43726 Unread 05-20-2017, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is an insanely great deal if you have the bucks to swing it. As you point out, they're essentially giving you an A-2060 (which, at 140WPC, should be sufficiently powerful for most rooms at less than reference volume) for $50 in addition to the 50% discount on the speakers.

In a word: it's YUUUUUUUGE!
I priced out the other $3999 deal that includes the 702 surround speakers and it seems they are essentially taking $100 off of the 50% off speaker pricing and throwing in the 2060 at no additional cost. That seems like an even better deal, particularly for anyone looking to jump into a seven channel system.
post #43718 of 43726 Unread 05-21-2017, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
I'm sure if one just considered the cost of material and labor, that Polk is still making money, but I suspect if they sold all their LSiM's at that price they wouldn't cover their various overhead costs. G&A, R&D, distribution, storage, buildings, etc. all add up fast.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

LG 65EF9500
Oppo BDP-103
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSiM 702, LSi 7
Rythmik D15SE sub
Outlaw 975
Outlaw 7125
post #43719 of 43726 Unread 05-21-2017, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post
I'm sure if one just considered the cost of material and labor, that Polk is still making money, but I suspect if they sold all their LSiM's at that price they wouldn't cover their various overhead costs. G&A, R&D, distribution, storage, buildings, etc. all add up fast.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Polk, probably already recovered those costs by now and therefore can offer these great sales, but then again who knows but Polk.

post #43720 of 43726 Unread 05-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
If it's like jewelry, then lot. It does make you wonder though.
The LSiM line is certainly sitting near jewelry in terms of the retail margins. They are big, heavy, and low volume. Lower end models will skew leaner with faster turnover of inventory. Smaller markups would not be horribly feasible in the long term, if you expect retail partners to participate. But if you wanted to do direct sales only, they could be rather aggressive on price.

My guess is that 50% is the retail gross margin. Polk can eat the whole retail markup for sales because it also has the wholesale markup to lean back on and still make money. The question I have is if Polk offers any sort of incentive to retail partners for following the lead on the sale (some sort of rebate on the wholesale price for speakers sold during the sale), or if they just slash prices to get their inventory down and let retailers twist in the wind for that week.

Sony 65A1E, Marantz 5010, Polk LSiM 703/704. Sony 55HX929 (Retired?)
post #43721 of 43726 Unread 05-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
The LSiM line is certainly sitting near jewelry in terms of the retail margins. They are big, heavy, and low volume. Lower end models will skew leaner with faster turnover of inventory. Smaller markups would not be horribly feasible in the long term, if you expect retail partners to participate. But if you wanted to do direct sales only, they could be rather aggressive on price.

My guess is that 50% is the retail gross margin. Polk can eat the whole retail markup for sales because it also has the wholesale markup to lean back on and still make money. The question I have is if Polk offers any sort of incentive to retail partners for following the lead on the sale (some sort of rebate on the wholesale price for speakers sold during the sale), or if they just slash prices to get their inventory down and let retailers twist in the wind for that week.
I would hope they would not dog their partners like that.

Btw, I noticed Crutchfield no longer sell the 707s, so I guess I literally got their last pair. They are out of the 705s, but will get stock back in mid June, but not such for the 707s. Ummm? I wonder why. Are the 707s at the end of life cycle?

Last edited by Methodical_1; 05-22-2017 at 03:08 PM.
post #43722 of 43726 Unread 05-23-2017, 05:15 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
I would hope they would not dog their partners like that.

Btw, I noticed Crutchfield no longer sell the 707s, so I guess I literally got their last pair. They are out of the 705s, but will get stock back in mid June, but not such for the 707s. Ummm? I wonder why. Are the 707s at the end of life cycle?
You never know for sure (see Apple's tactics with retailers), but I suspect that they are offering up some sort of rebate to the retailers on deep sales such as this one. As far as I know, it's pretty common.

I'm not sure why it would be EOL now. I'd expect that if they were doing something new, the whole line would be getting a revamp. I wonder if Crutchfield is just removing it from their lineup that they offer. There seems to be quite a bit more love for the 705s from what I've been reading. And I can't even find the 705s there in black. Not even out of stock. They do have the Cherry in stock though. It could be a sign of newer models coming, it could be something with Crutchfield. Hard to say.

Sony 65A1E, Marantz 5010, Polk LSiM 703/704. Sony 55HX929 (Retired?)
post #43723 of 43726 Unread 05-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
You never know for sure (see Apple's tactics with retailers), but I suspect that they are offering up some sort of rebate to the retailers on deep sales such as this one. As far as I know, it's pretty common.

I'm not sure why it would be EOL now. I'd expect that if they were doing something new, the whole line would be getting a revamp. I wonder if Crutchfield is just removing it from their lineup that they offer. There seems to be quite a bit more love for the 705s from what I've been reading. And I can't even find the 705s there in black. Not even out of stock. They do have the Cherry in stock though. It could be a sign of newer models coming, it could be something with Crutchfield. Hard to say.
Yeah, it's probably Crutchfield wanting to no longer carry them for the reasons you state about the 705s.

post #43724 of 43726 Unread Today, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 7
For whole house audio, I'm looking at using a bunch of pairs of RC80i in ceiling speakers in various rooms of my new house that is under construction. I've seen several recommendations for them in threads here, and they won't break the budget. For rooms with bedrooms above the in ceiling installation, I want to have the builder install a wooden/drywall back box for each RC80i to help stop some of the sound from leaking into the bedrooms above. I emailed Polk asking what they recommend with respect to how big the back box should be (in cubic feet) to avoid diminishing the speaker's sonic performance. Polk has not responded, other than to acknowledge receipt of my inquiry.

Does anyone here know how big each back box should be?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____
The Spinal Tap Theater Build:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ter-build.html
post #43725 of 43726 Unread Today, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
For whole house audio, I'm looking at using a bunch of pairs of RC80i in ceiling speakers in various rooms of my new house that is under construction. I've seen several recommendations for them in threads here, and they won't break the budget. For rooms with bedrooms above the in ceiling installation, I want to have the builder install a wooden/drywall back box for each RC80i to help stop some of the sound from leaking into the bedrooms above. I emailed Polk asking what they recommend with respect to how big the back box should be (in cubic feet) to avoid diminishing the speaker's sonic performance. Polk has not responded, other than to acknowledge receipt of my inquiry.

Does anyone here know how big each back box should be?
My personal opinion (FWIW) is that the backer box need not be much larger than whatever is necessary to enclose the wired-up speaker. Obviously, you will want to add a small margin to allow for easily installation and removal of the box. But unless you are including heat- and/or soundproofing insulation to the interior of the box, I don't think it is necessary to go any bigger for sonic reasons. Remember that in-wall and in-ceiling speakers are typically designed for tight spaces. Sonically, it's the drywall they are attached to that will serve in place of a speaker enclosure.

Living Room: Sony XBR-65Z9D UHD LCD TV w/FALD; Oppo UDP-203; Sony BDP-S5200 (multi-region); Denon AVR-X5200W (Video: Dolby Atmos/DSU 7.1.4; Music: DTS Neo:X 11.1); Dayton Audio MA1260 12-Channel Amplifier (60wpc); Polk Audio RTiA7 (F/LR), CSiA6 (C), RTiA5 (FW), OWM5 (Sr, SB), 80F/X-RT (FH, TR); SVS SB-2000 (SW)
Bedroom: Sony XBR-55HX929 LCD HDTV w/FALD, DarbeeVision DVP 5000S, Yamaha R-N402 Network Receiver, Polk Audio LSiM703
post #43726 of 43726 Unread Today, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thought I would show some love for the 703 LSiM, very happy with this speaker at the sale price. Been looking and reading for a month or so when I saw the sale. I am cheap so I did a lot of reading on these and decided to pull the trigger. Hooked them up last night and this is an impressive product, from packaging to appearance to performance. This is a big bookshelf. Beautiful speaker, heavy as lead, looks high quality, impressive bass, very clear, detailed sound throughout.

I have them with the 704 in the center and a sub, sounds fantastic. Looks like I'm set for at least 10 years. Never even considered Polk until the sale but glad I did.

Carry on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer
Gear in this thread