AVS Forum banner
3M views 46K replies 3K participants last post by  LouM5 
#1 ·
I just felt it was about time we had an official polk speaker thread , being that according to the speaker brand poll , we have quite a few polkies in here. This might be a good place to discuss tweaks , problems or experiences with your speakers. I for one own a pair of Rti 8s which im very thrilled with and just recently upgraded my center speaker to the almighty csi 5 which has turned out to live up to the hype. The weak link in my set up is my Boston acoustic subwoofer which really isnt that bad but I could do better. The sub is positioned right next to my throne (sweat spot) ,a position I found to sound the best(at this location it also doubles as a poor man's butt kicker
). Anyhoo , it will be nice to hear from other polkies out there....

See less See more
#29,301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29280#post_24294162

I used to be a moderator on a PC forum a few years ago and kept up with the fast stuff. Glad I got away from it cause that stuff goes out of date too fast. I don't do gaming any more so my ATI 5870 will do fine for awhile longer. Audio gear holds it's value a lot longer. I can only afford one hobby at a time.

Amen to that!

Luckily my work pays for my mobile gaming with a 780m and my personal machine is where I want it to be with a 7950. I wanted a r9 290, but bitcoin miners have made hardware for AMD spike like crazy!

what is a good budget for an entry level sub to work with my system?

#29,302 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29280#post_24294186

Amen to that!

Luckily my work pays for my mobile gaming with a 780m and my personal machine is where I want it to be with a 7950. I wanted a r9 290, but bitcoin miners have made hardware for AMD spike like crazy!

what is a good budget for an entry level sub to work with my system?

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

#29,304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29280#post_24294217

That is more than my whole system cost. haha

Guess it is time to get a real budget system.

Thanks for the info
You could look for a Polk PSW505 on sale. Much more budget friendly and much better than the PSW10.

#29,306 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29250_50#post_24293944

Looks great. I noticed the "recovering hi-fi guy", Does this mean you fell off the wagon?

I used to sell B&W, McIntosh, Proceed, Levinson, etc in my 20's. I got spoiled and refuse to spend stupid money like that, though I do appreciate hi end stuff. Even at dealer or manufacturer cost, its stupid expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ***** CHIEF  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29250_50#post_24294041

Nice work. I have always had a thing for inwalls.

thanks. this system is 100% in-walls...including the four 18" subs.

#29,307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltie12  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/28900_100#post_24270210

Own 2 Monitor 65T looking for low profile center with close timbre.

Figured I would just post in the Polk thread.  I own 2 Polk Monitor 65T front speakers and am looking for a low profile (less than 5 inch height) center channel. The C25 are too tall for underneath my projector screen even though it is a perfect timbre match. I am looking at the TL1/2/3 series as a possibility because of the low height, or the Yamaha C-310. Does anyone have any experience with any of these options? Will the difference be unbearable or do you have a better option? PLEASE HELP!

Sorry for the late response, but i've been away from this thread for a while.

I had the same issue as you regarding limited vertical space for the center channel speaker.  I have 75t fronts and am using the TL250 for C, FH, and SB.  Before purchasing the 75t's i called Polk CS and was told that the TL-series center would be a good timbre match.  FWIW, this set-up sounds great to me, it fits my room and decor parameters, and was budget-friendly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbital517  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29000_100#post_24280650

I am about to pull the trigger on some Polk audio speakers and a Polk subwoofer. Please give me some input on what you guys think and if you would suggest anything else.

Polk blackstone tl250 with the Polk psw125 subwoofer

I haven't decided on my receiver yet, but what do you think of those speakers for $549 new? Is that decent setup? How about the price?

I got the TL250 from newegg in Dec 2013 for $320 plus a free PSW111.  I immediately sold the SW for $125, bringing my total cost down to under $200.  Obviously YMMV, but if your purchase is not urgent I would troll newegg (or Polk Audio on eBay) for a future price discount or special offer.  i know that some folks here poop on Polk SW's, but I love my PSW505, which you can sometimes find discounted on newegg for as low as $180; I think it's a steal at that price (I got mine in a combo deal with my two 75t's for $580 total).

#29,308 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT FTW  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29280#post_24294244

I used to sell B&W, McIntosh, Proceed, Levinson, etc in my 20's. I got spoiled and refuse to spend stupid money like that, though I do appreciate hi end stuff. Even at dealer or manufacturer cost, its stupid expensive.

need pictures of inwall subs!!!

#29,309 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29280#post_24294237

To be honest I would rather spend the money now. Then drop $250 and in the same boat as before. If that makes sense.

Is that LVR12 better than HSU VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer?
You'll have to pay shipping for HSU and Rythmik subs. If I were buying I'd go with a PSW sub with free shipping since after shipping with the other subs you're nearly at that cost anyway.

I almost did that until I ran across a couple of DIY subs,

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xs15

#29,310 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29280#post_24294237

To be honest I would rather spend the money now. Then drop $250 and in the same boat as before. If that makes sense.

Is that LVR12 better than HSU VTF-2 MK4 Subwoofer?

I think that's really a judgment call. There are lots of discussions of both. I was going to buy the Rythmik, but I went with a larger kit instead. The LVR is more a rectangle than the Hsu, so if you need that shape for any reason, that might help you decide. I also agree with Stanley that you can't go wrong with PSA either.

#29,311 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29280#post_24294279

You'll have to pay shipping for HSU and Rythmik subs. If I were buying I'd go with a PSW sub with free shipping since after shipping with the other subs you're nearly at that cost anyway.

I almost did that until I ran across a couple of DIY subs,

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/power-x/products/xs15

I may just try the BIC America F12 first thru amazon. If it doesnt sound as good as I want then I will return and go the $750 route.

Thanks for your input

How hard was it to build your kit??

#29,312 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29310#post_24294299

I may just try the BIC America F12 first thru amazon. If it doesnt sound as good as I want then I will return and go the $750 route.

Thanks for your input
Why not, amazon has a great return policy. You may like it.

#29,313 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29310#post_24294299

Mine were not a kit and I bought them pre-built from another forum member. cytoSiN built his from a kit. I'm far too lazy to build my own.

#29,314 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29280#post_24293984

Budget is always an interesting question.

My system is entry level

Monitor 50

Monitor 30

CS1

PSW10

I think it sounds great, but would like more punch on a sub and less muddy bass

Room Size is 14X20ish.. I would have to measure it exactly, but that seems close.

You can check out the $300 or less subwoofers or less thread for recommendations on a budget.

#29,317 ·
#29,319 ·
Ok, so i have everything just about dialed in... Though i still dont have my rear surround stands, so for now they are just sitting on top of the box that the towers came in. Very happy with my purchase, its tough for me to give an accurate review considering that the system i was replaceing was just a 3.0 speaker arangment with an old Sony Receiver that had only Pro Logic... had Bose 301s and some no name center channel, literally everything was from the late 90's. Anyway, based on what i was willing to spend im very happy. Plus the Technology has come so far. I also purchased a new Marantz 1504 to power everything and it does it well. Though i have to turn it up quite a bit to get the effect that i like.

As far as Audyssey goes, all spearkers set to Small, Fronts set to 40hz, Center set to 60hz, Rears set to 60hz, and the Low Pass on the sub is 100hz, im sure now one cares about levels, Though Audyssey set my Sub at -2.5db, but i bumped it up to -1.0db.

So last night i put in Oblivion (BluRay), and after some tweeking to get the correct audio feed out of my PS3 things went nicely. Im really surprised at how well all the speakers handle themselves, including the sub. I have a fairly large room 15x22 and there is plenty of rumble coming from the sub, some much that my front door rattles in the door jam, and its on the other side of the room! The sub is the 550 series and I find that the "mid room" setting on the sub give the most perceived bass in my situation. To me everything sounds how a $1200-1300 set of speakers should sound.

Sorry the pics are not the best... its night and i dont have a lot of light in the room.

#29,320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29300_100#post_24294162

I used to be a moderator on a PC forum a few years ago and kept up with the fast stuff. Glad I got away from it cause that stuff goes out of date too fast. I don't do gaming any more so my ATI 5870 will do fine for awhile longer. Audio gear holds it's value a lot longer. I can only afford one hobby at a time.

Wow. Me too. It was called Xtremods.com. Great site. Too bad the guy sold it and it fell into disrepair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT FTW  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29300_100#post_24294244

WTF man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester435  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29300_100#post_24294299

Thanks for your input

A decent budget sub that I've had a lot of luck with (I have two of them) is the JBL ES250P 12" 400W ported front firing sub. I got mine off of Amazon for 179 or 199 and they have not skipped a beat. They have pretty accurate and tight bass with Audyssey EQ in effect (as they're only about 20 - 25% on the gain dial).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT FTW  /t/618137/calling-all-polkies-official-polk-thread/29300_100#post_24294576

Jeeesh man. Did you have to buy earthquake insurance after you installed those? WOW!

BTW, I like the black out of the face of your little girl. Just like paparazzi... LOL

Reactions: migraine24-7