AVS Forum banner
3M views 46K replies 3K participants last post by  LouM5 
#1 ·
I just felt it was about time we had an official polk speaker thread , being that according to the speaker brand poll , we have quite a few polkies in here. This might be a good place to discuss tweaks , problems or experiences with your speakers. I for one own a pair of Rti 8s which im very thrilled with and just recently upgraded my center speaker to the almighty csi 5 which has turned out to live up to the hype. The weak link in my set up is my Boston acoustic subwoofer which really isnt that bad but I could do better. The sub is positioned right next to my throne (sweat spot) ,a position I found to sound the best(at this location it also doubles as a poor man's butt kicker
). Anyhoo , it will be nice to hear from other polkies out there....

See less See more
#3,261 ·
Oh. OK. That sounds like a good idea. I just couldn't imagine the hardwood won't make a difference. Thanks for the link. So given the foot print size of the SVS and HSU subs in question, I assume I would need two mats? Or is it OK to let the sub hang over the edges of these mats? Finally their dealer locator is down and I don't see any prices. Do you know roughly how much each mat is?

Thanks.

#3,262 ·
They are $50 each. Good question about overhang, I am not quite sure. Would be a good post for the Sub Forum. Maybe check if they have an FAQ page on the site, might answer this also.

Google: subdude

It will give you a few seller links.

Edit:I looked at the truesoundcontrol.com website and there is another option called the Gramma and Great Gramma, which are larger single platforms. Might be a better fit for the sub and your placement area.

#3,265 ·
You could always try your sub first and see if the floor rattles are a problem. I have the BIC H-100 on a pergo laminate floor and I have no problems with rattles. My system has to get really loud for anything to rattle and the first thing that rattles is the window (the floor vibrates which is kinda cool but it doesn't rattle), but I really don't even like listening that loud.

#3,266 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLegend /forum/post/13810758

Can someone direct me to another thread that might get me some suggestions?

The monitor 60's have three 5.25" woofers instead of the two on the monitor 50's. When you step up to the 70's you get four 6.5" woofers, so that's a huge difference over the two 5.25" woofers in the 50's.

IMO the step up from the 50's to the 60's is pretty small and unless you can find them for just a small penny more, I'd stick with the 50's. Otherwise go all the way up to the 70's.

#3,267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnickrand /forum/post/13810795

The monitor 60's have three 5.25" woofers instead of the two on the monitor 50's. When you step up to the 70's you get four 6.5" woofers, so that's a huge difference over the two 5.25" woofers in the 50's.

IMO the step up from the 50's to the 60's is pretty small and unless you can find them for just a small penny more, I'd stick with the 50's. Otherwise go all the way up to the 70's.

Do the 70s go with the CS1 center?

#3,271 ·
Do any of you Polk guys know if the RM6880 (satellite system) is any good?

I would love to just get big floorstanding speakers but the way my living room is set up i really couldnt fit them anywhere. I have been thinking of a way to do this for a while and i would have to move my 52" sammy into a different spot and then would lose my good viewing angles (its kiddie cornered right now).

Anyways i was on the polk website and these speakers are $850 MSRP, but i can get them for about $400. I know these "HTIB" systems are not ideal, but i guess i was just hoping some of you guys might know about this particular model (RM6880).

#3,272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdiver /forum/post/13810375

OhioMike, RonTemple

Thanks for the replies.

OhioMike:

First of all I will keep a look out for the AV sub but at first glance it looks like its "coming soon" for a while. But I will keep my eye on it. Thanks.

RonTemple:

You must have read my mind. Last night I was thinking that maybe I will need to go with two "smaller" subs rather than one "big" one. But I'm a little confused. You seemed to recommend the PB10 over the STF2 at first but at the end recommended getting two STF2s?

Also this might be a stupid question (like most of my questions) but how do you hook up two subs to one receiver?

Lastly, I don't understand the 80-120Hz reference?

Also as neither of you mentioned it, I assume the corner position on hardwood floors doesn't impact the choice of downward or front firing?

As always, thanks.

P.S. Just pre-ordered an Onkyo 606 receiver from JR. Excited!

I noticed that myself, but was too lazy to edit my post. I think the PB10 is the overall better sub than the STF2. While I was typing I realized you were going with a sat system. The PB10 is tuned lower than the Hsu and will outperform it from about 18hz -30hz. They come about even from there on. If you were going to cross your speakers over at 80hz the PB10 or 2 of them would be the be my rec. Since sats crossover higher, the 100 to 120hz range, I think the Hsu(s) will do a better job of blending. Ron Stimpson from SVS may rag my ass for saying so, but there it is (I've owned a couple of their subs and love them)
. If you still don't get what I'm saying, PM me.

#3,273 ·
Ron Temple,

I have read several post back were you preferred the RTiA series over the last years RTi.

My question is I have RTi8s for my main and have been using my CSi30 center but have been wanting the CSi5 which I bought over the phone from Tweeter clearence. The CSi5 was definetly an upgrade from the CSi30 but the 5 arrived damaged although seemed to not effect the sound.

Anyway I sent it back to Tweeters.

Will I notice any difference with the CSiA6 over the CSi5 with my RTi8s?

Thank you !

#3,274 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/13811194

Do any of you Polk guys know if the RM6880 (satellite system) is any good?

... Anyways i was on the polk website and these speakers are $850 MSRP, but i can get them for about $400...

These are very good in their class. The sub is the weakest part of the package, so I would recommend to get the RM10 5.0 set + a better sub of your choice.

Amazon has these in silver for
$200 with free shipping - that's an incredible price.

- Val

p.s. If you do go with these, remember that the all 5 speakers have a built-in HPF at 120 Hz, if I am not mistaken, so your sub will have to cover up to that.

#3,275 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLegend /forum/post/13810903

One last question, refurbished from Polk, are they as good as buying new? What's the difference?

They seem to be nice deals, but the difference is in warranty. Yes, you do get support from Polk (unlike from so many others falsely advertising that on 'Bay), but read the fine print. The terms may be different for refurbs on 'Bay vs. buying new.

edit: I found the details, I think. "Remanufactured" vs. "Refurbished" and a corresponding 5-year vs. 180-day warranty. Still much better than no warranty at all.

#3,276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike /forum/post/13788878

In that situation...yes you took the better option. Do you have the option of looking at a local Circuit City to see if they have a DPS-10 for sale. They will be $262 or less for a floor model like mine that was only $220 and never even hooked up. Just would save you a nice chunk of change.

Guess it sucks to be me. Big price difference and our dollars are almost on par!

DPS-10 $599.99

VRP-1200 $399.99

Talked to my local store and they will exchange my PSW110 sub but not give my $$ back. They only carry Polk, Soundstage and JBL subs. They also suggested the PSW 404 for $100.00 more. Don't think so, guess I will have to eat it. Watched Twister on BD, Dolby True HD and it sounded awesome, floors and walls ratteling but could be better.
Guess a quick trip to the US may be a plan.

#3,277 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 /forum/post/13812570

These are very good in their class. The sub is the weakest part of the package, so I would recommend to get the RM10 5.0 set + a better sub of your choice.

Amazon has these in silver for
$200 with free shipping - that's an incredible price.

- Val

p.s. If you do go with these, remember that the all 5 speakers have a built-in HPF at 120 Hz, if I am not mistaken, so your sub will have to cover up to that.

Wow so the same set is RM10, just without the sub. That is a great deal, i just wish they had them in black like the ones i was going to buy. Do you have any recommendations on Good subs for these speakers. I know nothing about subs so if you gave me a few good ones to look at i would appreciate it. Thanks

P.S. Whats wrong with the sub that comes with it?

1 - 10" Diameter (25.40cm)

Polymer Composite

Power Output 65 watts

Dynamic Power Output 130 watts

Are those bad specs for a sub?

#3,278 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsmith /forum/post/13812567

Ron Temple,

I have read several post back were you preferred the RTiA series over the last years RTi.

My question is I have RTi8s for my main and have been using my CSi30 center but have been wanting the CSi5 which I bought over the phone from Tweeter clearence. The CSi5 was definetly an upgrade from the CSi30 but the 5 arrived damaged although seemed to not effect the sound.

Anyway I sent it back to Tweeters.

Will I notice any difference with the CSiA6 over the CSi5 with my RTi8s?

Thank you !

I haven't heard the new centers, just the A3s - A9s. I'm sure they are very close. Most reports I've read say they can't tell a difference. The major SQ difference in the As is the cabinet. There's not as much they can do with the centers in order to stay in that RTi footprint.

#3,279 ·
OhioMike, RonTemple

OK. So it sounds like I need to budget for 2 subs. And it sounds like 2 HSU STF-2 would be the way to go given I will be using RM8 (4 + center) and RM7 (2 ). It also sounds like using the Gramma acoustic mats under the subs would be a great idea. In fact the more I think about this, it makes sense. If I have 2 subs in opposite corners, the room is basically mirrored front to back (except the center speaker under the TV of course). Meaning 2 x RM8 and a STF-2 across the front wall, same across the back wall and 2 x RM7 in the middle.

So questions:

1. So does this finally sound like a good system?

2. From Ron's last post it sounds like I would need to set the crossover to about 100hz on the sub rather than the "normal" 80hz due to the speakers I'm using. Correct?

3. How do you hook up 2 subs? Just get a RCA "splitter" for the back of the receiver?

P.S. Don't tell the wife about the second sub. I hoping it will be a long time before she even notices!!!

I think I have nearly finished bothering you guys. Well maybe!

Thanks.

#3,280 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/13813728

Wow so the same set is RM10, just without the sub. That is a great deal, i just wish they had them in black like the ones i was going to buy. Do you have any recommendations on Good subs for these speakers. I know nothing about subs so if you gave me a few good ones to look at i would appreciate it. Thanks

P.S. Whats wrong with the sub that comes with it?

1 - 10" Diameter (25.40cm)

Polymer Composite

Power Output 65 watts

Dynamic Power Output 130 watts

Are those bad specs for a sub?

amazon does have them in black. i bought the black set ogf 5 two days ago. they are currently out of stock at amazon but you can get them for $215 from the alternate vendors off amazons website. JR is $230.

as for the sub, amazons description is wrong. it doesnt come with one. they are confusing themselves with the bundle that does come with one.