AVS Forum banner
3M views 46K replies 3K participants last post by  LouM5 
#1 ·
I just felt it was about time we had an official polk speaker thread , being that according to the speaker brand poll , we have quite a few polkies in here. This might be a good place to discuss tweaks , problems or experiences with your speakers. I for one own a pair of Rti 8s which im very thrilled with and just recently upgraded my center speaker to the almighty csi 5 which has turned out to live up to the hype. The weak link in my set up is my Boston acoustic subwoofer which really isnt that bad but I could do better. The sub is positioned right next to my throne (sweat spot) ,a position I found to sound the best(at this location it also doubles as a poor man's butt kicker
). Anyhoo , it will be nice to hear from other polkies out there....

See less See more
#3,301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 /forum/post/13812628

They seem to be nice deals, but the difference is in warranty. Yes, you do get support from Polk (unlike from so many others falsely advertising that on 'Bay), but read the fine print. The terms may be different for refurbs on 'Bay vs. buying new.

edit: I found the details, I think. "Remanufactured" vs. "Refurbished" and a corresponding 5-year vs. 180-day warranty. Still much better than no warranty at all.

So if I find some deals from the Polk-Audio-Direct ebay store would it be worth it even though the warranty isn't as long?

I'm thinking I might be able to get some Monitor 60's on Polk-Audio-Direct for the same price as brand new Monitor 50's.

What do you guys think?

#3,302 ·
Not the Rti10's. I was speaking of the Atriums that you got for free. I don't think they would work well as surrounds due to their rugged appearance. But you hadn't planned on using them anyway. Like I said though, you could E-bay them to finance your future FXi upgrades.

Alright, I might not drive that far. I don't believe they exsist in the Midwest.

#3,303 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal83 /forum/post/13813728

Wow so the same set is RM10, just without the sub. That is a great deal, i just wish they had them in black like the ones i was going to buy. Do you have any recommendations on Good subs for these speakers. I know nothing about subs so if you gave me a few good ones to look at i would appreciate it. Thanks

P.S. Whats wrong with the sub that comes with it?

1 - 10" Diameter (25.40cm)

Polymer Composite

Power Output 65 watts

Dynamic Power Output 130 watts

Are those bad specs for a sub?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyren /forum/post/13815381

amazon does have them in black. i bought the black set ogf 5 two days ago. they are currently out of stock at amazon but you can get them for $215 from the alternate vendors off amazons website. JR is $230.

as for the sub, amazons description is wrong. it doesnt come with one. they are confusing themselves with the bundle that does come with one.

Yes, i know the ones on amazon dont come with the sub. But i am looking at these at CC and can get the whole package for $400 with a coupon and some certificates. So i was just Wondering about the Specs for the sub, it it is at least half way decent (I live in an apt)?

#3,304 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike /forum/post/13818150

Ron,

With Brit's situation:

The thing I'm wondering here is with the receiver, Onkyo 606. My 605 with Audessey will only let you crossover the LFE up to 120hz, so is he going to be able to set the RM8 down to 120 and still be alright? Will he maybe just have to bypass the LFE and go RCA to be able to use the Subs X-over which will probably allow at least 150hz?

Woops, back to the drawing board...the Hsu's crossover only goes up to 90hz...can't cover the hole. Cutting at 120hz won't be terrible...check with AV123.

RT

#3,305 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike /forum/post/13818826

Not the Rti10's. I was speaking of the Atriums that you got for free. I don't think they would work well as surrounds due to their rugged appearance. But you hadn't planned on using them anyway. Like I said though, you could E-bay them to finance your future FXi upgrades.

Alright, I might not drive that far. I don't believe they exsist in the Midwest.

Yeah, I went to the website and did not see any in Ohio.

I may sell the atriums and do what you suggested. Or I amay keep them and wire them outside, I haven't decided yet.

Thanks alot for your help!!!

#3,306 ·
I got the RM6880 speaker set (with sub) at CC for $360. Couldnt resist the price, they actually had them set up and they sounded good. Now just to find a receiver. The good thing is $360 is not a horrible price to mea, so in the future i will be able to upgrade to some floorstanding speakers and just sell off the RM6880 set. But these satellites should go good in my apt for now, and being as how this is my first HT set up, i think i'll enjoy them.

#3,307 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenic0 /forum/post/13817772

Bastage
I just ordered my 4 M50's for Front&Rear and am dying to set them up...your setup looks good

PS - You do know you can remove that sticker on the TV right? You cant sticker charge your TV like you can Honda's.

Heh, of course I know I can remove that sticker.
I took that picture right after I set up the TV. Also, the sticker brags about my 1080p goodness for me so I don't have to.

Thanks for the compliment on my setup. I know compared to some, it's not much, but for me, it's a major step up from a 27" SD CRT with no external speakers.

I'm still in that honeymoon phase of popping in a CD and just smiling when I start hearing the rich sound coming out of these puppies. Good luck with your setup!

#3,308 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLegend /forum/post/13818367

So if I find some deals from the Polk-Audio-Direct ebay store would it be worth it even though the warranty isn't as long?

I'm thinking I might be able to get some Monitor 60's on Polk-Audio-Direct for the same price as brand new Monitor 50's.

What do you guys think?

Anyone?

#3,311 ·
britdiver,

After OhioMike's post I re-examined my sub suggestions. I was talking with Chad from Epik today and it seems his Calibre is flat to ~ 130hz. It's a very large cabinet, but for about the same price as 2 STF2s you can hook the sub up via the high level inputs and use the crossover on the sub (up to 150hz). You'll also gain massive SPL with a sub appropriate to your room size and get extention down to the mid teens. Considering your AVRs crossover limitation of 120hz, I think this is a great solution. I asked him about the Knight too, but he said the Calibre is flatter up top.

#3,312 ·
If anyone is interested in a "like new" pair of Monitor 30's....PM me with an offer. I don't have the boxes, but they will be packaged to perfection.

#3,313 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/13825155

britdiver,

After OhioMike's post I re-examined my sub suggestions. I was talking with Chad from Epik today and it seems his Calibre is flat to ~ 130hz. It's a very large cabinet, but for about the same price as 2 STF2s you can hook the sub up via the high level inputs and use the crossover on the sub (up to 150hz). You'll also gain massive SPL with a sub appropriate to your room size and get extention down to the mid teens. Considering your AVRs crossover limitation of 120hz, I think this is a great solution. I asked him about the Knight too, but he said the Calibre is flatter up top.

Thank God you and OhioMike are on the ball! What would I do without you guys. Man that's a big box. But it's time for a newbie stupid question. I was planning on using the BJC LC-1 RCA cable to hook up my sub (or subs). So what is "via high level inputs"? I looked at the Epik website (not great tell them) looking for a manual to download and look at the hookup diagrams, but couldn't find one. Also I have seen talk of SPL. What exactly is it?

P.S. Ron. Are you in the speaker or home theater business?

Edit: Found something on the High Level Inputs in a HSU manual and firstly they recommend RCA over the HLI. Also I looked in the manual for the 606 and I didn't see any other way to hook up a subwoofer other than RCA.

#3,314 ·
Hello to all,

I posted in the past my wife and are building our new home and that we will have a HT room (dims 20x13.8x10 ) with full carpet. The system driving the speakers are: Emotiva XPA-5 Amp

Outlaw Audio 2200 monoblocks (2)

Onkyo 885 PrePro

SVS PB12-Plus sub

I narrowed my speaker choice between the LSi series (LSi15's Towers, LSiC Center Channel and 4 LSiFX surrounds) and the Axiom (M80 Towers, 2 pair QS8 Surrounds and the VP150 Center Channel)

The room will have a 50 inch Pioneer plasma (5020) and will only use the tv for Blu-ray and HD-DVD watching > 50% use and the other 50% for music.

Do you guys like my 7.1 LSi setup?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,

Kirk

#3,315 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdiver /forum/post/13825755

Thank God you and OhioMike are on the ball! What would I do without you guys. Man that's a big box. But it's time for a newbie stupid question. I was planning on using the BJC LC-1 RCA cable to hook up my sub (or subs). So what is "via high level inputs"? I looked at the Epik website (not great tell them) looking for a manual to download and look at the hookup diagrams, but couldn't find one. Also I have seen talk of SPL. What exactly is it?

P.S. Ron. Are you in the speaker or home theater business?

Also as we are now we looking at one big sub and you guys now know the speakers, receiver and room specs, are there others to think about too? Not that I'm against the Epik.

I have just measured out the Epik. Man thats really REALLY big! Not sure I can get away with that with the wife. We may need to scale that down a little.

What do you guys think about the HSU VTF-3 MK3 for my situation? I'm asking based purely on the size of the cabinet! As you already know, I know NOTHING about the technical aspects of this. I think I can get this size cabinet by the wife.

Edit: Oops just checked and the VTF-3 only has crossover to 90hz. Correct? So still no good. How about the AV123 MFW-15? It's crossover says up to 150hz?

#3,319 ·
Hey Peter,

First, first....yes, you do want the x-over on direct. This will allow for your receiver to set the cut-off for the sub.

To answer the other part....I kind of got cold feet about my system yesterday and returned it before my 30 days were up. This included the 70's..CS2..and DPS-10. I just started feeling as if, even though I really loved the set-up, it just wasn't right for me. I loved the way the system handled music, but I never listen to music in the theater except to test out the speakers. I just got the feeling that I didn't need the monster 70's for my particular interests. So..then I didn't need the CS2 and I bought it all as a package with special financing and the return of those left me without the special financing on the sub and so back it went.

So...now I am looking into some other options from a few manufacturers, which may still include Polk, I've been nothing but happy with the ones I've had and love being a part of this Polk thread.

Right now is kind of sucking in my HT since the return...I had already sold my CS1 so I am left with a 4.1ch set-up with my 50's and 30's and my extra Yamaha sub. Not really diggin the "phantom center".

So..right now I am just going to sell my 30's and use the 50's in a 2ch stereo set-up in the living room or bedroom, just for music listening(I would just sell them but shipping costs make it pointless) while I search for a new set-up. I am just that guy who is never satisfied with what he's got and always lookin' over the fence at all the greener pastures on the other side and I always slide further down the rabbit hole because of it. It is my curse and I made peace with it long ago.

#3,320 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike /forum/post/13826784

Hey Peter,

First, first....yes, you do want the x-over on direct. This will allow for your receiver to set the cut-off for the sub.

To answer the other part....I kind of got cold feet about my system yesterday and returned it before my 30 days were up. This included the 70's..CS2..and DPS-10. I just started feeling as if, even though I really loved the set-up, it just wasn't right for me. I loved the way the system handled music, but I never listen to music in the theater except to test out the speakers. I just got the feeling that I didn't need the monster 70's for my particular interests. So..then I didn't need the CS2 and I bought it all as a package with special financing and the return of those left me without the special financing on the sub and so back it went.

So...now I am looking into some other options from a few manufacturers, which may still include Polk, I've been nothing but happy with the ones I've had and love being a part of this Polk thread.

Right now is kind of sucking in my HT since the return...I had already sold my CS1 so I am left with a 4.1ch set-up with my 50's and 30's and my extra Yamaha sub. Not really diggin the "phantom center".

So..right now I am just going to sell my 30's and use the 50's in a 2ch stereo set-up in the living room or bedroom, just for music listening(I would just sell them but shipping costs make it pointless) while I search for a new set-up. I am just that guy who is never satisfied with what he's got and always lookin' over the fence at all the greener pastures on the other side and I always slide further down the rabbit hole because of it. It is my curse and I made peace with it long ago.

Hey Mike. Since I picked up my 70's and 50's a week ago, I've been reading this thread extensively. Thanks for all the excellent information you've posted here thus far. I'm sorry to hear that the 70's weren't doing it for you in the theater. Hopefully you can find something that works out. Whatever the outcome of your search, post it here. We're all interested.