Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 39049 Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga56grg View Post

are the Polk RM speakers any good? They are certainly the most inexpensive i can find on the web, but noone one this sight talks about them, a bad sign i suppose. would i be waisting my money on them?

I got a pair of RM8000 and a RM7302 and have been very pleased with them. I bought them right after Christmas and they were including the PSW10 for free if you spent something like $650 or so on Polk speakers. The PSW10 is pretty weak for my needs so I bought a HSU VTF3-MK3. I'm taking the PSW10 back this weekend and trading it in for my surround speakers (not sure which ones I'll go with yet).

For my listening enjoyment for HT and music, I like the RM8000. I listened to others, Monitors, LSi, RTs and even some definitives, but I just couldn't tell that much of a difference to justify the additional cost, so I went with these. Maybe I'm tone deaf...

I did notice that the RM30 were one of perfect visions 2006 award winner.

It comes down to what sounds good to you....I'm happy ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 39049 Old 01-27-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Join Club Polk...www.polkaudio.com...you'll get a ton of assistance. Off the top of my head, it sounds like a calibration issue, but polk centers aren't always on, they have a dispersal solution that utilizes crossovers and center equaliztion that you should research (there). Lots of folks there with a ton more knowledge.

Thanks Ron. I'm now a Club Polk member. You were right. Lots of others commenting about dialog with the LSiC.
post #543 of 39049 Old 01-31-2007, 09:35 PM

Polk Audio Monitor 10Bs and CSi 20 up front, a pair of RTi8s in the rear.
post #544 of 39049 Old 02-02-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga56grg View Post

are the Polk RM speakers any good? They are certainly the most inexpensive i can find on the web, but noone one this sight talks about them, a bad sign i suppose. would i be waisting my money on them?

I couldn't find any reviews or talk about these speakers either. I wonder how long they have been on the market?

I was looking for some nice tower speakers to go alongside my flat panel TV when I came across the RM50T's at Sound Advice. They looked and sounded great plus they had a buy-one/get-one-free sale and even threw in a free subwoofer. Seemed like a sweet deal to me, I couldn't pass it up. However, after a minor hassle, I ended up returning them when I found out they made them in silver too. The RM50T's are pewter in color, while the RM8000T's are titanium, same speaker just different color. The 8000's were a perfect match for my TV and I was able to get them at Amazon for the same deal basically, minus the sub. Also I got the matching center (RM7302) for just $300. Still haven't hooked it up yet. First I need to find time to mount the TV on the wall and make room for it. I've had the towers set up for 3 weeks now and I'm very pleased. They kick ass in 2 channel stereo! Money well spent I feel. But try them out for your self; just be sure to get a 30 day money back warranty in case you're not satisfied.

Check out the attachment to see my setup so far
LL
post #545 of 39049 Old 02-03-2007, 07:27 AM

I am looking at upgrading my old Onkyo htib and was looking at Polk based on what i have read in the forums. I have seen R30's ($49ea) and R50's ($70ea) on sale at Fry's and almost pulled the trigger but didn't because I wanted to hear them 1st. I went to our local Fry's yesterday for first time and they sounded fine, but the salesman showed me other Polk systems and WOW, I have been missing a lot. I am not looking to rock my basement, but I do want an improvement on my old sytem. Salesman recommended Monitor 50's ($175 ea.), but they also had RM7400 which were being discontinued at $100 each. I guess my question is what would be a good intermediate sytem. I am looking for best quality/price ratio if there is such a thing. Also do I need to match series surrounds with fronts (i.e. M, R, RM, Monitor series surrounds)? Any help would be appreciated. I will be visiting Fry's again today. That store is amazing. Only thing like it in Indiana.
post #546 of 39049 Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 PM

I will try to help a fellow hoosier out. In your price range you should check out the Primus clearance at Crutchfield. I just recieved the 360s and they are most definitely a step or two up from my R30s. I am now ordering the C25 to replace my CSi25 center. I will probably hold off on ordering primus surrounds to replace my R15s; while as it is best to have all the speakers from the same series, it is most crucial to have the fronts and the center match.

Haven't been to fry's in a while, since it a good drive from Plainfield, but you might see if they carry the updated Primus series. From what I have read there are just cosmetic differences between them and the old series.

I don't really know anything. I am just repeating what I have either heard or read elsewhere.
post #547 of 39049 Old 02-04-2007, 03:43 AM

I looked at the reviews for the Primus 360 and 250 and everyone seems to love them, especially at the clearance prices. The 360 is now in the price range with the Monitor 50. Since I don't have a way to audition them, can anyone compare the two? I will also ask on the Infinity thread and call Crutchfield to try to get an objective answer since they carry both lines. Someone also recommended Athena F2.2's at the same price range. Hope to make a decision soon. Thank you for your response. Go Colts!
post #548 of 39049 Old 02-05-2007, 05:05 AM

Help!!

I'm replacing some older KEF's as my front speakers due to the fact that they are 4 ohm and causing my Onkyo SR674 to go into protection mode. I was told that due to my center CSi5 and similar surrounds that I should go with either RTi8, RTi10 or RTi12's to match the timbre of my existing speakers. This all made a lot of sense until I read through this long thread where its been stated that these Polk speakers are actually all 4 ohm in reality.

At this point I do not want to add separate amps. I also don't want to use the receiver crossovers to limit the bass going to the new Polk's if at all possible.

1. So am I going to have the same problem with these speakers shutting down my receiver?

2. Would the RTi8's be less likely to have problems with my receiver then the larger ones?

3. Are the larger Polk's going to have less volume from the same amount of power as the smaller Polk's?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
post #549 of 39049 Old 02-05-2007, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Cat View Post

Help!!

At this point I do not want to add separate amps. I also don't want to use the receiver crossovers to limit the bass going to the new Polk's if at all possible.

1. So am I going to have the same problem with these speakers shutting down my receiver?

2. Would the RTi8's be less likely to have problems with my receiver then the larger ones?

3. Are the larger Polk's going to have less volume from the same amount of power as the smaller Polk's?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You can run your speakers on full and not limit anything.

1- Yes

2- No That is why I recommended you go with the RTi10's and have money left over to purchase an amp. The amp I recommended was the Outlaw 2200 Mono block.

3- The large Polk's are going to draw more juice for volume. Your not going to have to worry about that with an amp.
post #550 of 39049 Old 02-05-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazersteven View Post

You can run your speakers on full and not limit anything.

1- Yes

2- No That is why I recommended you go with the RTi10's and have money left over to purchase an amp. The amp I recommended was the Outlaw 2200 Mono block.

3- The large Polk's are going to draw more juice for volume. Your not going to have to worry about that with an amp.

I guess I could stop posting and just PM directly to you.

So anyone who buys a normal receiver and some nice Polk's like these are going to risk having the receiver going into protection mode? Sounds like this would give Polk a bad rep after a while.

If I'm going to have to go the amp route I'm probably happy to stay with my KEF's even though the timbre probably doesn't match. It's just that my current setup with the KEF's sounds great to me and I get plenty of volume, that is up until my receiver shuts down. Since it's shutting down at about 70% output I thought that if I went with some 8 ohm speakers that even though they are less efficient I would be able to turn up the volume a bit more and maybe would be happy with the result. Why is this a bad way to go?

On the amp-Does the addition of an amp change the timing with relation to the other speakers in the surround since they are getting directly fed while the fronts are going to a different amp? Does using a different amp for the fronts free up any headroom on the other speakers? The link you once provided me on the Outlaw had some not so nice customer reviews. Was this just some disgruntled postings?
post #551 of 39049 Old 02-05-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:

I guess I could stop posting and just PM directly to you.

So anyone who buys a normal receiver and some nice Polk's like these are going to risk having the receiver going into protection mode? Sounds like this would give Polk a bad rep after a while.

If I'm going to have to go the amp route I'm probably happy to stay with my KEF's even though the timbre probably doesn't match. It's just that my current setup with the KEF's sounds great to me and I get plenty of volume, that is up until my receiver shuts down. Since it's shutting down at about 70% output I thought that if I went with some 8 ohm speakers that even though they are less efficient I would be able to turn up the volume a bit more and maybe would be happy with the result. Why is this a bad way to go?

On the amp-Does the addition of an amp change the timing with relation to the other speakers in the surround since they are getting directly fed while the fronts are going to a different amp? Does using a different amp for the fronts free up any headroom on the other speakers? The link you once provided me on the Outlaw had some not so nice customer reviews. Was this just some disgruntled postings?

The 8s are easier to drive and won't shutdown your receiver, neither will the 10s, but a separate amp will really open up the sound. They like the juice. Caveat being your Onk must have pre-outs. It will not effect timing, your receiver handles all processing. You will need to re-calibrate, but once done you're set.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #552 of 39049 Old 02-05-2007, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Polks have been this way for decades. My old SDAs have the same design issue - hence I have a separate larger power amp for them. Power amps are cheap in comparison to speakers, so I think most serious listeners don't give it much thought.
post #553 of 39049 Old 02-05-2007, 11:53 AM

Well I've checked on the Polk forum, spoke with people here and talked with Crutchfield and other vendors. So far I've been told everything from it won't work to absolutely no problem. I found a local dealer with a good price and return policy and I bought some RTi8's. After I get them home, hooked up and fully tested, I'll report back here. Thanks.
post #554 of 39049 Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I've checked on the Polk forum, spoke with people here and talked with Crutchfield and other vendors. So far I've been told everything from it won't work to absolutely no problem. I found a local dealer with a good price and return policy and I bought some RTi8's. After I get them home, hooked up and fully tested, I'll report back here. Thanks.

Congratulation Cat,

I hope they work out for you.
post #555 of 39049 Old 02-05-2007, 03:57 PM

FYI - Have a near new one for sale in the market forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=800934
post #556 of 39049 Old 02-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Reporting back.
In a few different threads I've been working on trying to solve a problem with my receiver going into protection mode at high volume. The receiver is rated at 8 or 6 ohms only and the KEF's were 4 ohm speakers. Since there was a general consensus that this was my problem I thought I'd get some Polk's to match my center speaker since they are rated at 8 ohm. This one member, "mazersteven" kept telling me that the Polk's wouldn't help since they are really 4 ohm not 8 ohm as the manufacturer states. As I stated a couple of posts back I bought a pair of the RTi8's last night from a local dealer in case I need to return them. I'm still not sure about the ohm thing but I have to be man enough to publicly admit that mazersteven was correct in that it did not solve the problem.

Being the stubborn person I am, I'm still leaning toward my own personal theory. My theory is that at the volume I like(about 70% of max), regardless of the ohms, when the part I'm listening to gets real loud and has a lot of bass, there is not enough overhead left for the spikes in wattage it pulls and the receiver goes into protection mode. If the ohms were higher the speaker would be less efficient and I would have the same problem at the same approximate real volume, IMO. OTOH, maybe it is just an ohm thing.

In case anyone has actually read this far, what I've done now is to set the crossover on the mains to 40 and it seems like I can get all the volume I need and I have a nice Velodyne sub anyway. I'm going to experiment around to see how I like the sound and also with my old KEF's to see which I like better when playing this way. If all else fails I may have to go the route mazersteven suggested and get some amps. I may actually be better off returning the speakers, getting the amps and hooking them up to my KEF's. So far I'm very happy with the sound of the Polk's for movies but I think I may have liked the way my KEF's sounded when listening to just music. Seemed a bit warmer to me if that is the correct term. OTOH, the Polk's are timbre matched when using the center channel and surrounds. I guess I'll be trying it out a few different ways.
post #557 of 39049 Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Being the stubborn person I am, I'm still leaning toward my own personal theory. My theory is that at the volume I like(about 70% of max), regardless of the ohms, when the part I'm listening to gets real loud and has a lot of bass, there is not enough overhead left for the spikes in wattage it pulls and the receiver goes into protection mode. If the ohms were higher the speaker would be less efficient and I would have the same problem at the same approximate real volume, IMO. OTOH, maybe it is just an ohm thing.

I think you are just driving the amp too hard.... you like it loud... your Onkyo just can't give it to you.... I had no problems driving my RTi8's with a 75 wpc Yammy ... they do sound better with my Anthem PVA7 driving them now.

You are on the right track with the sub.... but try setting the crossover higher... say 60 or even THX 80 Hz... this will remove a lot of the strain on your Onkyo...

Don
post #558 of 39049 Old 02-08-2007, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsterut View Post

If you can go slightly above the $400 mark you might consider the lower end Hsu and SVS subs which get rave reviews on all forums.

SVS is definitely worthwhile if in your range. Hsu's definitely a good choice as well.
post #559 of 39049 Old 02-09-2007, 11:59 AM

I want to update my Home Theatre System. I currently have a Mits 57831 HDTV, an Onkyo TX-SR600 receiver, 4 Polk RM2300 satellite speakers, a Polk RM 2600 center speaker and a Polk PSW 350 sub. Yes, I know the speakers and receiver are pretty old...

My first queston is whether I should update my receiver or speakers first? The Onkyo 600 receiver is in good shape, but it doesn't have HDMI connections. My second question is what Polk speakers (or alternatives) should I consider when upgrading speakers. I would like to keep the speaker cost less than $1K and am considering continuing to use the PSW 350 sub, unless others think that is necessary. I live in a condo, so space is an issue (fortunately a wife is not an issue ), but I think I would prefer getting a little larger speakers this time around. Approximately 70% of the use will be for HDTV, 25% DVDs and the rest a small amount of music.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated.

Ron
post #560 of 39049 Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 AM

Hello all.

I think I'm about to join Team Polk!

Anyway, I went and auditioned some Polks including the RTi8 towers, RTi6 Bookshelves and the CSi5 center.

I really likes the sound compared to a comparable Klipsch setup. They are also great looking with the cherry wood.

My question is this:

HAS ANYONE WITH A SIMILAR POLK SETUP HEARD ANY OF THE ID BRANDS LIKE the AV123 (X-LS/X-CS), SVS (SBS-01), or ASCEND (170/340)?

I'm wanting to know if the Polk setup is as good sound-wise compared to these. The Polks will be a little more expensive but worth it for the look and quality. I just need to know if you have heard the others and can let me know how they compare to the Polks.

Thanks!
post #561 of 39049 Old 02-10-2007, 08:14 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post

Hello all.

I think I'm about to join Team Polk!

Anyway, I went and auditioned some Polks including the RTi8 towers, RTi6 Bookshelves and the CSi5 center.

I really likes the sound compared to a comparable Klipsch setup. They are also great looking with the cherry wood.

My question is this:

HAS ANYONE WITH A SIMILAR POLK SETUP HEARD ANY OF THE ID BRANDS LIKE the AV123 (X-LS/X-CS), SVS (SBS-01), or ASCEND (170/340)?

I'm wanting to know if the Polk setup is as good sound-wise compared to these. The Polks will be a little more expensive but worth it for the look and quality. I just need to know if you have heard the others and can let me know how they compare to the Polks.

Thanks!

I haven't heard any of those other speakers, except for a couple of Klipsch setups I had. I love the Polks. Klipsch's didn't do it for me!
post #562 of 39049 Old 02-10-2007, 09:26 AM

I have a pair of RTi12's running on a Yammy RXV1700 (bi-amped). Does anybody think I should get more power? I am considering the Outlaw 2200 monoblocks.

Rondog
post #563 of 39049 Old 02-11-2007, 06:38 PM

got an all polk set up
r30 2x
r15 2x
r20 2x
csm
psw10
use an onkyo txnr 900 reciver.
post #564 of 39049 Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 AM

2 R300's (arriving today) as mains
CSi25 center
2 R15 as surrounds

I will eye the R50's if they go on sale again at outpost. In that case, I'll ditch the 5.1 receiver I have for a 7.1 to go with my Samsung HLS-6187W. I have a no-name sub right now and am looking at the BIC H-100.
post #565 of 39049 Old 02-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have the FXi30 surround speakers or the newer FXi3's....I have 4 FXi30's in a 7.1 setup and have been trying them in both bipole and dipole mode in different placements...for example, in bipole mode I would place the side surrounds so that their 5 1/4in. drivers would face the rear wall and the 2 rear surround speakers 5 1/4in. drivers would face inwards(left labeled speaker used as right rear sp.).....In dipole I just swapped the back surrounds so that the left was used as the right rear etc...to avoid phase issues.

If anyone does own these speakers...did you set them up as I did for bipole mode and if not how did you do it??? A Polk customer service rep. told me to put them in bipole mode and place the sides and rear surrounds how I described above instead of following the "left + right" labels on the back of the speaker.

With these surround speakers...what do you prefer...bipole or dipole mode?

Thanks,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #566 of 39049 Old 02-15-2007, 09:22 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 View Post

Anyone have the FXi30 surround speakers or the newer FXi3's....I have 4 FXi30's in a 7.1 setup and have been trying them in both bipole and dipole mode in different placements...for example, in bipole mode I would place the side surrounds so that their 5 1/4in. drivers would face the rear wall and the 2 rear surround speakers 5 1/4in. drivers would face inwards(left labeled speaker used as right rear sp.).....In dipole I just swapped the back surrounds so that the left was used as the right rear etc...to avoid phase issues.

If anyone does own these speakers...did you set them up as I did for bipole mode and if not how did you do it??? A Polk customer service rep. told me to put them in bipole mode and place the sides and rear surrounds how I described above instead of following the "left + right" labels on the back of the speaker.

With these surround speakers...what do you prefer...bipole or dipole mode?

Thanks,
Brian

Hmmm, I have a pair of these on my sidewalls, and I followed he manual instructions on how to set them up. Don' recall which that was! I have RTi28's on the back wall though. Did you look at the manual for guidance?

Are BOTH sets on the sidewalls, or is one set on the rear? Nice speakers BTW. What else do you have for your system?
post #567 of 39049 Old 02-15-2007, 10:47 PM

Liked: 14
Polk SRT 8.2 set up. 2 main speakers with subs, 4 SDA speakers 2 center speakers and 2 18" Energy subwoofers.
post #568 of 39049 Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: close to Milwaukee, WI but far enough from the hood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc9 View Post

2 R300's (arriving today) as mains
CSi25 center
2 R15 as surrounds

I will eye the R50's if they go on sale again at outpost. In that case, I'll ditch the 5.1 receiver I have for a 7.1 to go with my Samsung HLS-6187W. I have a no-name sub right now and am looking at the BIC H-100.

I just got these too! I took a quick listen yesterday. They sound nice, but certainly need a sub. I plan to get a big Hsu!

Did your R300's come with carpet spikes? They are supposed to, but mine did not. I have an e-mail into polk about that.

Pat
post #569 of 39049 Old 02-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post

Hmmm, I have a pair of these on my sidewalls, and I followed he manual instructions on how to set them up. Don' recall which that was! I have RTi28's on the back wall though. Did you look at the manual for guidance?

Are BOTH sets on the sidewalls, or is one set on the rear? Nice speakers BTW. What else do you have for your system?

Hey fst96....I have a pair on the sidewall and a pair on the back wall. My other speakers consist of 2 RTi38's on stands for the mains and a CSi30 for the center channel...wish I had the CSi5 though.

When I talked to the customer service rep. I was trying to ask how to place them for a 7.1 setup when in "dipole" mode and he then told me that I should use them in "bipole" and place them how I said in my prev. post. After having them setup this way for some time...I just feel that they call too much attention to themselves...the sides...not the rears. I am starting to wonder if that is because of the way he said to place them. I am going to try them in "bipole" again but I am going to put the "left" labeled speaker on the left wall and the "right" labeled speaker on the right wall with the side surrounds and I am going to leave the 2 rear surrounds swapped..."left" labeled speaker as the right rear surround etc...

I have gone through the manual but its very vague and I'm not sure...but...I dont think it says much about doing a 7.1 setup with a "dipole" or "bipole" setup. I think it just says that...If you place them on the side wall more than 1 foot behind the listening position or on the rear wall...use bipole mode. It says if you place them on the side wall in line with the LP then use dipole mode. This is basically written for a 5.1 setup with 1 set of speakers it seems. I have had all my speakers for awhile now and I am going to upgrade soon and if I go with Polk again...it will be the LSi series.

Take care,
Brian

Take care,
Brian
post #570 of 39049 Old 03-30-2007, 08:51 AM

Hey people, new here, so I thought I would contribute. I love my Polk setup and have been very happy.

I have the following:
- CSi5 center channel
- 2 RTi6 bookshelf
- 2 FXi5 surround

I don't have a Polk subwoofer, though. I am running the Infinity PS-12. This is all connected to Denon AVR-1804 (planning to upgrade this soon).

I absolutely LOVE these speakers. For home theater, they blow away everyone who comes to my house. I originally wanted the RTi12's as my fronts, but with my entertainment center it wouldn't have worked, so I went with the RTi6's. I am amazed by the sound I get from them and I will always be a very happy Polk customer.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page