Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 39368 Old 07-25-2007, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by margate21 View Post

i was wondering if someone could provide an answer as to why my old rt600's sound horrible with my new onkyo 805. to me they sound hollow kindof holding back. is the new receiver too much for the older speakers. or do i have it hooked up wrong.

not sure what your doing wrong. I use a pair of rti 8 (2way but rated up to 200 watts) powered by a denon 2807 (simular power rating to the onkyo) and i have the speakers set up as bi-amped, it really brings out the sound. hope this helps. also look at wire size, config of onkyo. I used the provided denon mic to set up seating postitions, this REALLY made the speakers sound better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 39368 Old 07-26-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:

i was wondering if someone could provide an answer as to why my old rt600's sound horrible with my new onkyo 805. to me they sound hollow kindof holding back. is the new receiver too much for the older speakers. or do i have it hooked up wrong.

I'm also using my Onkyo 805 to bi-amp my RTi8's. Sounds wonderful!
I don't know what could cause what you are hearing. Are you getting sound from both tweeters?
I did read several reviews for the RT600's that weren't very favorable, but if they sounded good to you before, then the Onkyo should make them sound at least the same if not better.
post #813 of 39368 Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 AM

So I will admit I have been a lurker for quite a few months now on the AVS forum trying to figure out exactly what entry-level HT system (5.1 for now but leave room for 7.1 upgrade) I was going to put together. I would like some input from the more experienced members out there about this. I do consider myself relatively picky on audio quality but would say not as picky as 50% of the members on this forum sound. Anyway, on to my point... Here is the system I was thinking:

Front: Polk RTi6's
Center: CSi5
Rear: FXi5's

Need some input on a sub... PSW303? PSW125?

Powering these speakers will be my choice of AVR, the Yamaha RX-V661.

Now before you ask, I have yet to go and demo these speakers with this receiver at the local Tweeter store (or whatever it may be), but that will come soon. I was just putting this thread out there for some opinions and to see if maybe any of you had experience with this type of speaker combination. Will they work well with each other? Will one speaker set overpower another set? Is the receiver enough to power these speakers? Etc., etc. Your input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

-Adam
post #814 of 39368 Old 07-27-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm just curious what you people think of my Polks......I love them.

fronts LSi9s
center LSiC
surround LSiFXs
subwoofer SVS 20-39PC
post #815 of 39368 Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM

Actually the SVS 20-39PC-PLUS
post #816 of 39368 Old 07-27-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclypse84 View Post

So I will admit I have been a lurker for quite a few months now on the AVS forum trying to figure out exactly what entry-level HT system (5.1 for now but leave room for 7.1 upgrade) I was going to put together. I would like some input from the more experienced members out there about this. I do consider myself relatively picky on audio quality but would say not as picky as 50% of the members on this forum sound. Anyway, on to my point... Here is the system I was thinking:

Front: Polk RTi6's
Center: CSi5
Rear: FXi5's

Need some input on a sub... PSW303? PSW125?

Powering these speakers will be my choice of AVR, the Yamaha RX-V661.

Now before you ask, I have yet to go and demo these speakers with this receiver at the local Tweeter store (or whatever it may be), but that will come soon. I was just putting this thread out there for some opinions and to see if maybe any of you had experience with this type of speaker combination. Will they work well with each other? Will one speaker set overpower another set? Is the receiver enough to power these speakers? Etc., etc. Your input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

-Adam

The RTis have a nice warm midrange, but a pretty bright tweeter. Many think that the combination of a Yammy/RTi aggravates the tweeter into harshness...others have no problem. Try it, if it's not to your liking, return the AVR for something more on the warm side...maybe Marantz, HK or NAD.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #817 of 39368 Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Polky here! Best band for the buck!

Drivers:
F:RTi12
C:CSi5
S:FXI5
R:RT12 (Old school baby)
Sub:Energy ES12XL

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #818 of 39368 Old 07-27-2007, 11:04 PM

The previous generation of Polk RTi (i.e. RTi 70, 28, 55, etc.) has more neutral high in comparision to the current version. If you like brighter sound, the current generation RTi has this characteristic.
post #819 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 12:38 AM
Advanced Member

whats up guys...i own Rti4 fronts with CS3 center and FXi5 surrounds...i recently went and bought some klipsch F3 floorstanders with the matching center...they seem to lack in the midrange department over the Polks especially the center channel...i can barely even hear vocals in movies at times compared to my old polks...ive considered returning the klipschs and getting a pair of RTi8 floorstanders with the CSi5 center...so i guess here is my question,

exactly how much different do the Rti8's sound as opposed to my RTi4 bookshelfs? i definately dont really need the bass from the floorstanders cuz im running a HSU ho with turbo...are the RTi8's a little less bright than the RTi4's? i know these questions come up all the time on this site but i hate to buy them and get them home without getting a concencious first...hehe
post #820 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 05:53 AM

My RTi12s were fairly harsh at first, even with the onkyo 905 which is fairly warm to my ears. I tried some 10-band eq settings on my computer and found that taking the 2k down -6dB and the 4k down -3dB really helped alot. I can now listen to really intense metal and pieces with extreme chorus (i.e. lotr soundtrack) much closer to reference volume without a hint of fatigue. Every now and then I set it back to default just to compare (I immediately have to turn it down and put the settings back). I realize that every room/listener is different, but it still feels like I just got alot more bang for my buck with music listening. They may not be LSi series, but I couldnt justify the price difference after this small tweak.

Also, to those who do not believe having excellent bass response in your mains is not necessary, consider that in an "ordinary" room, a single subwoofer suffers from standing wave issues, where as two towers placed in the proper locations in addition to a subwoofer provide for comparatively even coverage. Also, on alot of recievers, if you want to listen to stereo cd/sacd/etc with pure or direct audio modes, you will need to have your subwoofer wired differently to pick up the signal from the front channel. With something like the RTi12, the bass extension is there, and is usually adequate for 90% of the music available. For the other 10%, the sonosub handles quite nicely.

The addiction is taking hold...
post #821 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1029 View Post

Also, to those who do not believe having excellent bass response in your mains is not necessary, consider that in an "ordinary" room, a single subwoofer suffers from standing wave issues, where as two towers placed in the proper locations in addition to a subwoofer provide for comparatively even coverage. Also, on alot of recievers, if you want to listen to stereo cd/sacd/etc with pure or direct audio modes, you will need to have your subwoofer wired differently to pick up the signal from the front channel. With something like the RTi12, the bass extension is there, and is usually adequate for 90% of the music available. For the other 10%, the sonosub handles quite nicely.

I'm still trying to get bass out of the bottom of my RTi12's. Right now I have an outlaw 2200 monoblock plugged into the whole speaker and the bass will kick when its really turned up, at normal listening levels, the 3 speakers barely move.

at one point I was Biamping them and this worked great. I have my Onkyo AVR. I preamped to my Onkyo amp which ran the top. I then used the outs on that amp to go to the Outlaws which ran the bottom. I then turned up the fronts on the Onkyo AVR to +8. The Onkyo Amp actually has a volume adjustment so I turned the volume down just about half way to the point that it matched the Polk center volume (because the top was just to loud). This left the Outlaws on the lower 2 at +8. At that point, I finally started really hearing bass from the lower speakers (not really all that much).

Seems like a lot to drive them lower 3 drivers!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #822 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

It's getting close to the new RTiAs and the current RTi line is getting marked down to make room. JR, ******* and Frys (local) feature same pricing and Crutchfield is higher, but free shipping. Start saving your pennies...RTi12s for $800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey View Post

exactly how much different do the Rti8's sound as opposed to my RTi4 bookshelfs?

I wouldn't call the RTi's bright, just that the tweeter can get a bit harsh and fatiguing on some content...midrange is warm. The 8s are an excellent speaker teamed with a warm to neutral amp or AVR. Use the 4s as surrounds.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #823 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I bought a new CSi5 and an Outlaw 2200 mono to go with it, should come in any day! Cant wait!

post #824 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 02:14 PM

Tleavit,
It sounds like the fix you need is placement of your RTI12's. I have setup the RTI12's with denon and pioneer Elite receivers and gotten plenty of bass response. If you move your speakers toward the back wall and away from it you might get the bass response that you want. There is a place in every single room where you can place the speakers it is usually about 12 inches from the wall behind the speakers where you will absolutely kill the bass response. Good luck with your system.
post #825 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 07:15 PM

With the preouts on the onkyo, I noticed that on my ep2500, I had to turn the gain up to max on both channels to get proper response. I purchased an ART Cleanbox and it solved that problem quite nicely. And yes, the lower 3 drivers can take a MASSIVE amount of power. I confidently push my ep2500 100% into all 6 drivers with no fear of bottoming (30hz cutoff engaged ofcourse).

The addiction is taking hold...
post #826 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 07:32 PM

Sorry for the newb question....

So I want to upgrade my rti4s to lsi9s. I'd also like to upgrade my receiver. For the lsi9s to work properly do I need an amp as well? Or will I kill the lsi9s if I hook them up to to say a Denon 2808CI or an Onkyo 805 without an amp?
post #827 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bykes View Post

Sorry for the newb question....

So I want to upgrade my rti4s to lsi9s. I'd also like to upgrade my receiver. For the lsi9s to work properly do I need an amp as well? Or will I kill the lsi9s if I hook them up to to say a Denon 2808CI or an Onkyo 805 without an amp?

The Onk might be 4 ohm stable, but I doubt the Denon is. Maybe 2 speakers at moderate volume. Demanding speakers like the LSis are much better with tons of current. It can be done with AVRs, but it's not recommended.

post #828 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

The Onk might be 4 ohm stable, but I doubt the Denon is. Maybe 2 speakers at moderate volume. Demanding speakers like the LSis are much better with tons of current. It can be done with AVRs, but it's not recommended.

Great. I've been running my lsic for the past few weeks on my crappy sony receiver that Im sure isnt able to do 4ohms.
post #829 of 39368 Old 08-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

has polk said when the new LSi series will be released? if its anytime soon maybe the current models will go on sale at Frys soon
post #830 of 39368 Old 08-05-2007, 09:42 PM

I've only recently got into this level of audio and here are my speakers. Please feel free to tell me how good or bad it is. I also want to get surround back left and right speakers to finishe off the system.

Monitor 60s x2
Monitor 30s x2
PSW10 Sub
CS1 centre.
What Polk speakers should I get for the rear surround?

Cheers

Polk on!!!
post #831 of 39368 Old 08-06-2007, 07:08 AM

Just purchased a setup of Polk speakers for the home theater (7.1) in my game room.

All in wall/ceiling:

Front L/R - TC625i (in wall)
Center - TC265i (in wall)
Surround - TC60i (in ceiling)
Backs - TC60i (in ceiling)
PSW404 - Sub

The front speaker will go on either side of a 135" projector screen and the center will be mounted under the screen. The polks sounded real good when I was at the store. Have to be better than the little 4 inch Sony speakers I had hooked up for 5.1
post #832 of 39368 Old 08-07-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flocky View Post

I've only recently got into this level of audio and here are my speakers. Please feel free to tell me how good or bad it is. I also want to get surround back left and right speakers to finishe off the system.

Monitor 60s x2
Monitor 30s x2
PSW10 Sub
CS1 centre.
What Polk speakers should I get for the rear surround?

Cheers

Polk on!!!

Since you have Monitor 30's already, it's a natural extension to put those in the rear as well. Not a bad setup! How do you like it?
post #833 of 39368 Old 08-07-2007, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey View Post

has polk said when the new LSi series will be released? if its anytime soon maybe the current models will go on sale at Frys soon

Depends on what you would call soon. Late 2008 or 2009 IIRC?
post #834 of 39368 Old 08-08-2007, 05:56 PM

I'm looking at doing an all Polk speaker set up.

Can someone help me decide between the Monitor 50s vs. 60s on the front?

How about a matching center channel speaker (CS1?)

And I'm going to have to do two ceiling speakers for the rear, any recommendations? I think these two are the least important speakers so I don't want to spend as much on these.
post #835 of 39368 Old 08-08-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

so if i buy the lsi 15's, can i buy one amp to power the fronts. does the center need an amp. can all 3 go on one (outlaw 7500). btw i have a onkyo 805.
post #836 of 39368 Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

so if i buy the lsi 15's, can i buy one amp to power the fronts. does the center need an amp. can all 3 go on one (outlaw 7500). btw i have a onkyo 805.

Yes and yes on a nice 2, 3 or 5 channel amp. The 805 apparently will drive them without going into protection, maybe very well, but you'll likely see an improvement with a 200wpc @8ohm amp that can provide at least 300 @ 4ohm. You won't use that much of course, unless you want to go deaf

post #837 of 39368 Old 08-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

You could always get 3 behringer A500's and bridge them so that you have one speaker for each. You can get 3 of them for less than $600 and you will have 500w of power going into each speaker.
post #838 of 39368 Old 08-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Hey guys I need some input. Should I go with the CS1 center or should I go with the CSi3 center. I'm planning on getting Monitor 40s as fronts and surround if I get the CS1. Or I'll get RTi4s for fronts and surrounds if I get the CSi3. They will be driven by a Yamaha HTR-5960, regarding the brightness issue. It did not bother me.

PSN: J_Rodz2588
post #839 of 39368 Old 08-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ25 View Post

Hey guys I need some input...

At the current prices take RTi+CSi and don't even look back.
post #840 of 39368 Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 AM

I just picked up the Monitor 40's and CS1 center to go with my new Onkyo 605. The CS1 has the same drivers and tweeters as the monitor 30, 40, 50, and maybe the 60's(not sure). They are a very good match. I also got the monitor 30's for the rear, everything matches up perfectly sound wise, very nice sound. I can hear the crappy quality of MP3's because the setup is so clear.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page