Advertisement

post #62 of 39101 Old 12-22-2005, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I'd ask that question on Amps and Receivers. I'm new to the separates area myself. I recently put a modest amp on my fronts and got a great boost in my Polk R50s. I wasn't expecting it on their low end speakers. I've read a ton of posts on RTi10s, 12s and LSis, nearly everyone touts the improvement with power. I believe them due to my modest gain.

Thanks I'll search over in that area.

If you have to tell people how good you are, you're not as good as you think.
post #63 of 39101 Old 12-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

The RTi's use Vifa tweeters, The LSi uses Vifa Ring Radiator tweeters. The monitors and R's do not use Vifa tweeters. There is a ton of information available on these speakers at Polks forum.
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/

A quick example of how the tweeters are different. The RTi's have a heat sink on the back of the Vifa tweeters and the Monitors do not use Vifa tweeters or have a heat sink.
post #64 of 39101 Old 12-22-2005, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

I'd ask that question on Amps and Receivers. I'm new to the separates area myself. I recently put a modest amp on my fronts and got a great boost in my Polk R50s. I wasn't expecting it on their low end speakers. I've read a ton of posts on RTi10s, 12s and LSis, nearly everyone touts the improvement with power. I believe them due to my modest gain.

Thanks I'll search over in that area.

If you have to tell people how good you are, you're not as good as you think.
post #65 of 39101 Old 12-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc99 View Post

I think he means that the tweeters do not sound as refined as the Ascends. They use better tweeters.

Exactly. Most of the conversation in this thread is referring to the higher-end Polks, which I have never heard. I'm sure they use better tweeters. Also, even though the Monitors sounded harsh, (by harsh, I mean they sound like a scratchy record... the detail is there, but it's distorted) they were still detailed. They were also quite efficient. Played louder, with less power than the JBLs and Ascends.

As for Polk not being "audiophile" stuff anymore.... well, speakers are no longer the rite-of-passage, phallus-enhancing symbol they were in the 70s and 80s. Polk has changed with their market. Other speaker makers that didn't are now out of business. Disco is dead. Move on.

post #66 of 39101 Old 12-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergusonv View Post

The RTi's use Vifa tweeters, The LSi uses Vifa Ring Radiator tweeters. The monitors and R's do not use Vifa tweeters. There is a ton of information available on these speakers at Polks forum.
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/

A quick example of how the tweeters are different. The RTi's have a heat sink on the back of the Vifa tweeters and the Monitors do not use Vifa tweeters or have a heat sink.

Thanks for the info! Anyone see a good deal on Rti8s around? I can't find any under $700 a pair??
post #67 of 39101 Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info! Anyone see a good deal on Rti8s around? I can't find any under $700 a pair??

I have a pair boxed up, after having sat in a guest bedroom for over a year with no use whatsoever. I was planning on throwing them on Ebay at the end of January, but PM me if interested. I had a full Polk RTi surround system in that bedroom with the expectations that someone would actually use it. No dice. Everyone just watches TV in the living room.

Suburbia: where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.
Flickr photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/
post #68 of 39101 Old 12-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone here do a comparison between the Monitor line and the Rti line?
post #69 of 39101 Old 12-22-2005, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Doc, I think you'd better join Club Polk...endless discussion, good information, just don't try to hawk anything on the Flea Market without being around awhile or wear a raincoat.

Monitors get limited airplay over there, recognized as a great start. RTis and LSis,especially for music, get most of the attention, along with alot of gear combinations.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #70 of 39101 Old 12-23-2005, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:

From what I remember, the Rti line seemed to be more detailed than the monitor line. I listened to the monitor 70s and they seemed to be bass heavy. Great looking speakers though.

Friends dont let friends Pan and Scan!!!
post #71 of 39101 Old 12-23-2005, 10:31 AM

Guess I should check in also!

Bedroom:
Monitor 70 mains
CSi30 Center
RTi38 side surround
RTi28 rear surround

living room:
Monitor 30 mains
PSW12 sub
post #72 of 39101 Old 12-23-2005, 11:51 AM

I'm a member of Club Polk, but you guys have a pretty nice flow over here also, so I'm chiming in also.

Theater:
RTi8s Front L/R, CSi5 Center, FXi5 Surround L/R, FXi3 (inverted) Rear L/R
Subs: HSU STF-2 Front, SVS PB10-ISD Rear

Home Office/Chill:
T90EBs Front L/R, CS1 Center, FXi3's Surround
Sub Velodyne CHT-10

Love the Polk product.
post #73 of 39101 Old 12-23-2005, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson57 View Post

I'm a member of Club Polk, but you guys have a pretty nice flow over here also, so I'm chiming in also.

Theater:

Home Office/Chill:
Sub Velodyne CHT-10

Love the Polk product.

I agree about the nice flow statement.I also visit club polk but somehow this seems to be a much nicer community....unless you get your "polkisms" wrong.

post #74 of 39101 Old 12-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson57 View Post

Theater:

Home Office/Chill:
Sub Velodyne CHT-10

Love the Polk product.

How do you like your Rti8s? I have read over at club Polk that some people actually said they were bright sounding?!?
I am considering these or the Monitor 60s. I am just about ready to make the purchase on one or the other.
post #75 of 39101 Old 12-23-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How do you like your Rti8s? I have read over at club Polk that some people actually said they were bright sounding?!?
I am considering these or the Monitor 60s. I am just about ready to make the purchase on one or the other.

Doc99, like its been said many many times, you simply MUST go into a store and listen to both.Fortunately most stores that carry polks usually carry the complete line.Fry's electronics here in so. CA even has a room dedicated to polk speakers. I own a pair of Rti 8s that I find very pleasing.Also your other equipment, DVD player / reciever etc., would play a major role in how they sound. I'm currently using my denon 2910's DACs and an onkyo reciever for power and the outcome is spectacular. You're really going to have to do the leg work on this one.

post #76 of 39101 Old 12-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

I know. Your right. But the only local place around here is a CC, and they only carry the monitor line!
post #77 of 39101 Old 12-23-2005, 10:42 PM

Liked: 12
hello

I have a

a pair of Monitor 30s
a pair of Monitor 40s
a CS1 for center channel
a PSW10 for subwoofer.

I bought these as a package. Can you please tell me which receiver best suits the above speakers and if I need to replace the PSW10 with a Dayton sub (like everybody on this board says)

Just for background - I am a newbie and not an audiophile by any stretch of imagination. This is for a 15x15 room.

Thanks

Raavango
post #78 of 39101 Old 12-23-2005, 10:56 PM

Liked: 11
Great thread. 'Bout time.

My first 'surround system' was Polk. Monitor 6 sub/sat with the CS200 center and M3II surrounds pushed by an Onkyo Prologic receiver. I rented 'Clear and Present Danger' on VHS and man....that was it. I was hooked. That system has since been cannibalized and reconfigured in the basement as I've moved on to different brands in the main system (Infinity and currently B&W).

Current basement system consists of the following...

R20 mains
R15 surrounds
Monitor 6 sats rear surrounds
CS200 center

I heard the R15's while auditioning surrounds for a friends system and couldn't believe what I heard....for the price. $80 for the pair (on sale) was an amazing deal for what I was hearing. He bought 2 pair for surrounds and I bought a pair as mains to ressurect the old system.

I have kept my Polk experience to the budget side as I wasn't real impressed with one of their more expensive offerings. I can't remember the exact series (RT perhaps) but it was about $1k/pair at CC a couple years ago. 3 woofers with the mid/tweeter assembly bafffled separately. They just didn't compare to the B&W 603's that were only $100 more. However the R series is more than worth the money in my opinion. I have put the R20's on a Rotel 971 amp and am even happier.
post #79 of 39101 Old 12-24-2005, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raavango View Post

hello

I have a

a pair of Monitor 30s
a pair of Monitor 40s
a CS1 for center channel
a PSW10 for subwoofer.

I bought these as a package. Can you please tell me which receiver best suits the above speakers and if I need to replace the PSW10 with a Dayton sub (like everybody on this board says)

Just for background - I am a newbie and not an audiophile by any stretch of imagination. This is for a 15x15 room.

Thanks

Raavango

I think a Harman Kardon receiver would work good with those. HK receivers are considered to be a bit on the warm side while those polk speakers are a bit on the bright side, so in the end you have a fairly neutral sound. I have an HK AVR130 (the entry level receiver they offer) and it works fantastic!

In terms of the subwoofer, the PSW10 and Daytons are both entry level subs and you'd be taking more of a lateral step by getting the dayton, as opposed to upgrading. I would suggest saving up about $250 or $300, and then you could get a nice 10" or 12" velodyne. If you save up a little more (around $400) you could start looking at Hsu or SVS which are fantastic too.
post #80 of 39101 Old 12-26-2005, 07:42 PM

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the RM-10/RM-6800 (these 2 seem to be the same except for slightly different styling and subwoofer) and RM-20/RM-6900 (same).

This would be for a 6.1 setup where TV/home theater (sports & movies) would be primary audio use. The RM-20/RM-6900 is a bit more $$, but I would prefer the smaller size of the RM-10/RM-6800.

Also would love any feedback on some newbie questions:

Speaking of the size issue: since the front speakers will be set up in bookcases, I may have to lay them on their sides -- does this screw anything up?

Also, a random Polk question: do these systems use standard speaker cables, or is there a proprietary system like Bose has?

thanks.
post #81 of 39101 Old 12-26-2005, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by raavango View Post

hello

I have a

a pair of Monitor 30s
a pair of Monitor 40s
a CS1 for center channel
a PSW10 for subwoofer.

Thanks

Raavango

I have a Yamaha htr 5790 paired up with a set of R-20 mains a 245i center ,a set of fx300i dipole surrounds and a set of MK2s for back surrounds with a Velodyne Dps-10 sub and a Ksw-10 sub and it all sounds very nice and tight, I am also using amps for the 5 channels with the back surrounds being driven by the avr . But I feel the best sounding speakers are what sounds best to the user , I like my setup alot and it brings me great enjoyment. Lou
post #82 of 39101 Old 12-26-2005, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Doc, I too am looking at getting a new set of speakers and have auditioned both the Rti and Monitor line. I started with the Rti line and to me, the Rti8s sounded bright, not bad sounding, but they seemed to emphasize the highs more then I liked. I compared them with the Rti10s and found the Rti10s to have a much fuller sound, less emphasize on the highs and balanced the mids with the extra driver quite well. I then listened to the Monitor line, at a different store, starting with the Monitor 40 bookshelf speaker. I thought that these balanced the highs and mids well but was a little light on the bass. I then spent some time listening to the Monitor 50 and 60s with each step up having just a little better sound then the previous model, mainly in the mid range. This same store also had a set of Rti8s so that I could compare the two. I found that the Monitor 60 had a less harsh sound, more comparable to the Rti10 in terms of balance (don't get me wrong, I would jump at the chance to get a set of the Rti10s if I could, but the budget would not allow it), then the Rti8 and to me seemed a better sounding speaker. So IMHO the Monitor 60 sounded better and that is the line that I am going to be pulling the trigger on in the next few days.
post #83 of 39101 Old 12-27-2005, 08:12 AM

RT7 fronts here
a 275 center channel
rt15 surrounds

Velodyne sub
Denon receiver

Some years old.. but still sounds great!
post #84 of 39101 Old 12-27-2005, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post

What i have:

2x Polk Monitor 70
2x Polk Monitor 30
Polk CS1

Velodyne CHT-12
Polk PSW10 (for the surround speakers)

Sounds similar to mine. I might even have the same center.

I have R50 fronts, the CS1 center (I think), and R20 rears all together with a Velodyne CHT-12.

After grad school I'll start looking at replacing all the speakers eventually but it's good enough for now!

my NADs are new
post #85 of 39101 Old 12-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

RM10's & sub.
Still have 2 Pioneer HPM60's circa 1978. Should've looked for 3 more on ebay. Would've made quite a 5.1 esp. center spkr.
Yamaha V1500 replaced a mid 80's Sony avr with only B channel.
post #86 of 39101 Old 12-27-2005, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emorphien View Post

Sounds similar to mine. I might even have the same center.

I have R50 fronts, the CS1 center (I think), and R20 rears all together with a Velodyne CHT-12.

After grad school I'll start looking at replacing all the speakers eventually but it's good enough for now!

whoops i made a typo, i have the CS2 You have a pretty solid system though, especially the velodyne (which i love)
post #87 of 39101 Old 12-27-2005, 04:24 PM

Here's my Polk Audio collection:

RT7 x 2 as fronts (love 'em)-nine years old and still sound awesome.
CSi30 center
PSW650 sub
RCA model 40-5003 (Rat-Shack) surrounds-they sound very good actually

All powered by a Pioneer VSX-1015 TX. Makes a very good combo.
post #88 of 39101 Old 12-27-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfreeman View Post

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the RM-10/RM-6800 (these 2 seem to be the same except for slightly different styling and subwoofer) and RM-20/RM-6900 (same).

This would be for a 6.1 setup where TV/home theater (sports & movies) would be primary audio use. The RM-20/RM-6900 is a bit more $$, but I would prefer the smaller size of the RM-10/RM-6800.

Also would love any feedback on some newbie questions:

Speaking of the size issue: since the front speakers will be set up in bookcases, I may have to lay them on their sides -- does this screw anything up?

Also, a random Polk question: do these systems use standard speaker cables, or is there a proprietary system like Bose has?

thanks.

I've had the RM6900 for a week now, and I like 'em For the size, there is a lot more "authority" there than I expected, they fill the room nicely and when I'm watching something like Saving Private Ryan or Die Hard I'm worried about the neighbors calling the cops!

About the size, the fronts with the RM6900 are around 12-13" tall. You will NOT be standing these up in a bookcase, the bottoms are angled, not flat. They have to be mounted on either the included stands, or a floor stand.

Or as you say, mount them on their sides, but the sides are rounded and you'd have to come up with something to keep 'em steady and properly aimed if you did that. The center is identical to the fronts, and mounts on the side with a special stand that comes with the set - maybe you could order 2 more of those direct from Polk? They'd work for that purpose with the fronts as well...

Don't know how mounting on the sides would affect the sound quality.

The RM6800 uses different fronts, they appear identical to the RM6800 - RM6900 rears, which are 7" tall, and flat on the bottom so they can be set on any level surface. Those should fit in bookcase with no probs.

They use standard speaker cable, no probs there. And all speakers (except the sub) have binding posts instead of spring clips which I like. Not sure why the sub doesn't have binding posts, but that don't bother me since I'm running the sub off my receiver's front preamp outs.

Hope this is useful...
post #89 of 39101 Old 12-27-2005, 09:44 PM
J\V

Howdy! Thought I'd check in for the fun of it...

I have a Denon 3805 pushing RTi-8s and a CSi-5 in front, with a PSW-505 sub (also have RC55 and RC60's for the walls and ceilings for the basement currently being built). Listened to the Monitor series at CC, and they sounded OK, though a bit muddy compared to the RTi series. I haven't taken the time to tweak the receiver yet, and probably won't do so until all the equipment goes into the basement where it belongs...

By the way, I have a question that maybe you all could help with: My Dad has some RT-8s from about 10 years ago, and is considering upgrading the speakers, or getting a center channel. Does anyone know what center channel speaker would be timbre-matched for these older Polk speakers? Either current model or older model. His speakers seem in great condition and he likes them, but he is getting into HT and recognizes the importance of timbre-matching, especially for the front speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-J

My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete...

Sony KDL-60NX810 | Denon 3805 | Polk RTi8+CSi5+PSW505

My HT thread
post #90 of 39101 Old 12-28-2005, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J\\V View Post

By the way, I have a question that maybe you all could help with: My Dad has some RT-8s from about 10 years ago, and is considering upgrading the speakers, or getting a center channel. Does anyone know what center channel speaker would be timbre-matched for these older Polk speakers? Either current model or older model. His speakers seem in great condition and he likes them, but he is getting into HT and recognizes the importance of timbre-matching, especially for the front speakers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-J

According to polkaudio.com faq the CSi3 is the current CC model that matches the RT-8s.

If you remember the 70's...you weren't really there!
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page