jmn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbAVS View Post

Hopefully you'll find 10 to 12 feet a little easier on the ears

Seriously, I have 2 RTi6's on their side along with a CSi5 center with a similar setup. They will be over the TV on a shelf about eye level (standing) when I finish my cabinet. I contacted Polk with this very question and they said there will be no difference in sound dispersion with them on their side. I also happen to think it looks nice with the grills all going the same direction and the same height going across.

Are you getting the CSi5 center too?

I'm thinking about buying either Polk Rti6 or Axiom M3v2 or M22v2 ! Axiom are more expensive bookshelfs, ! Just wonder are you happy with your Rti6 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 39101 Old 10-02-2007, 07:19 AM
jmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo3660 View Post

I've read references to the "sound" of various brands and wonder how the Polk sound would be described.

I've heard the Monitor 50 and RTi8 so I don't think enough speakers to identify the Polk sound. A little help?

Polk bright level is my choice. I heard that in the bright scale from Brighter to Warmer : Klipsch-->Polk-->Infinity....
post #993 of 39101 Old 10-02-2007, 07:36 AM
jmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnelf View Post

Fronts: RTi6
Rears: R15
Center: CSi3
Sub: PSW10

For those of you in Toronto, good deal on the CSi5 (2 units left) at the Yonge and Dundas Futureshop. Price is marked at $259 but you can get it for $149! There's also one RTi6 left see if you can get a good deal on that one too!

I believe in US Polk Rti6 quality, but I want to explore Canadian home made Axiom, is it worth to pay $80 more for a pair of bookshelf Axiom M3v2?
any suggestions?
post #994 of 39101 Old 10-02-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn View Post

I believe in US Polk Rti6 quality, but I want to explore Canadian home made Axiom, is it worth to pay $80 more for a pair of bookshelf Axiom M3v2?
any suggestions?

I haven't heard the Axioms. When they get mentioned elsewhere, generally Polk folks that have compared them prefer Polks (duh) for build and SQ. Which is about what you can expect on a Polk thread too .

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #995 of 39101 Old 10-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilchicken View Post

Hello everybody,

First of all, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to audio, but I've been trying to do my homework reading threads and reviews about different products.
My current setup is, well.. TV speakers! (You can stop cringing now..)

Anyway, after doing some research I've decided on an Onkyo TX-SR705 due to features and a bit of future-proofing too.
As for speakers, since this is going to be a big upgrade and I'm lacking funds at the moment, I've decided to start with a good pair of mains, and then adding the center and surrounds. Finishing up with the subwoofer (then again, my bedroom is really small, so i dont know how really necessary it would be to have a subwoofer here).
Would you say this is the right way to go the upgrade path? or should i start with the mains, then the sub and then the center/surrounds?

In any case, after reading this thread for the past couple of days and after checking out the Rti8's at fry's yesterday, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on them for starters. The rest of the speakers would be added in a couple months or as money permits, but it wont be 2yrs or anything like that
For surrounds I figured I'd go with a pair of Rti6's and for the center a CSi5.
I have no decided on a sub yet, but like I mentioned, I think I can live without it for a while.

This system would be used mostly for:
Gaming (ps3) and movies: 70%
Music: 30%

I may end up using it for music a lot more, since it will sound pretty decent, I'd say, so it could end up being 50/50 for gaming/music. Music wise, it's mostly punk so it wouldnt be anything too demanding on it.

Is this a good combination of components? The mains and the surrounds would be matched, and from what I've read, that CSi5 is the way to go for kickass sound on a center. Would it all mix nicely with a 705?

Thanks a lot for helping me see the light when it comes to audio

ps. Also, and this is probably a dumb question, the 705 supports HDMI 1.3 but my TV only does HDMI 1.2, there shouldn't be any handshake or compatibility problems, right?
Once again, thanks for reading my ramblings!

Wow, RTi8's for a small bedroom. You sure know how to treat yourself right. Anyway it sounds like you've got a good plan. The 705 should be more than adequate. See if the mains are enough for your room. I'm thinking of surround sound with RTi8's or RTi10's (depends if the price stays right ), CSi5 and four RTi4's for a familyroom all driven with a 605. Of course I will have to get a subwoofer, which I'm researching now.
post #996 of 39101 Old 10-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn View Post

Polk bright level is my choice. I heard that in the bright scale from Brighter to Warmer : Klipsch-->Polk-->Infinity....

I heard about the "Klipsch sound" and got a chance to hear the RF82 last week. My first reaction was I didn't like it but after a little listening I thought is was alright but not as good as Polk. The folks on the Infinity Beta50 thread rave about it but I can't bring myself to purchase speakers I haven't heard when I like speakers I have heard.
post #997 of 39101 Old 10-02-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Wow, RTi8's for a small bedroom. You sure know how to treat yourself right. Anyway it sounds like you've got a good plan. The 705 should be more than adequate. See if the mains are enough for your room. I'm thinking of surround sound with RTi8's or RTi10's (depends if the price stays right ), CSi5 and four RTi4's for a familyroom all driven with a 605. Of course I will have to get a subwoofer, which I'm researching now.

Well I'm sure I could do with something smaller, but I'd rather invest in something that will last me a long while and that will still be enough to fill up a living room whenever I end up moving. That is, if I don't fall victim to upgradeitis. *knocks on wood*
So, is my upgrade path a good choice then?

In [the planned] buying order:
2 rti8 for mains
1 csi5
2 rti6 for surround

And the sub at the end? Good choice? Comments anyone?
post #998 of 39101 Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2 rti8 for mains
1 csi5
2 rti6 for surround

I think some people might suggest buying the subwoofer before the surrounds, and possibly even the center, but wait and see what comments you get rather than take my word for it.

I just wanted to mention, the RTi line is being discontinued in favor of the new RTi A line. That's one reason why the prices are almost 50% of MSRP now. That might be a problem when you try to get your RTi6 and CSi5 (both for pricing and for availability). Apparently, the RTi A may be using the same drivers and tweeters as before, just different cabinets, but it may make a difference in how they sound.
post #999 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 03:51 AM

Quote:

Well I'm sure I could do with something smaller, but I'd rather invest in something that will last me a long while and that will still be enough to fill up a living room whenever I end up moving. That is, if I don't fall victim to upgradeitis. *knocks on wood*
So, is my upgrade path a good choice then?

2 rti8 for mains
1 csi5
2 rti6 for surround

I think you're doing just fine... With a small room, you may not need a sub, but you'll definitely want one later. With the RTi series being priced as it is, it's a steal! It looks like you are going to have a setup that you will be absolutely pleased with. Good luck!
post #1000 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 AM

Quote:

Bilbo,
What are you looking at for a sub?
I've got RTi8's, CSi5, FXi5's with an Onkyo 805 and an SVS PB-12NSD that I'm really happy with. I've also heard similar setups with an HSU MK3, that sounded pretty good. Good luck in your search!
post #1001 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRoddy View Post

Bilbo,
What are you looking at for a sub?
I've got RTi8's, CSi5, FXi5's with an Onkyo 805 and an SVS PB-12NSD that I'm really happy with. I've also heard similar setups with an HSU MK3, that sounded pretty good. Good luck in your search!

The subs you mention are outside of my budget, ~$350. I'm considering ED A2-300, ED A3-250, HSU STF-2, BIC H-100, Velodyne VRP-1200 and Klipsch. Once I understand this equipment better (I'm a n00b ) and can phrase an intelligent question or two, I'll head over to the subwoofer forum.

I'm not firm on the Onkyo 605 and might be able to stretch to the 705 if I think I "need" it. I'm not an audiophile like many/most folks in this forum. Denon is coming out with some models this month so I might wait a bit and see what they are like.
post #1002 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

The subs you mention are outside of my budget, ~$350. I'm considering ED A2-300, ED A3-250, HSU STF-2, BIC H-100, Velodyne VRP-1200 and Klipsch. Once I understand this equipment better (I'm a n00b ) and can phrase an intelligent question or two, I'll head over to the subwoofer forum.

I'm not firm on the Onkyo 605 and might be able to stretch to the 705 if I think I "need" it. I'm not an audiophile like many/most folks in this forum. Denon is coming out with some models this month so I might wait a bit and see what they are like.

You might want to give serious consideration to the Dayton Titanic 10" kit from Parts Express.
post #1003 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

You might want to give serious consideration to the Dayton Titanic 10" kit from Parts Express.

Hehe. Right out of the gate I don't think I want my first HT sub to be a build. I built my first PC this year and while I enjoyed it the aggravation quotient was very high, mostly because of Vista.
post #1004 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
It's a kit. Literally takes 10 minutes to put together. Glue in the foam, screw in the driver, screw in the amp, done. I don't know why they don't just assemble them themselves, since everything is pre-cut and the enclosure is pre-made.

I think it's worth a look
post #1005 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

It's a kit. Literally takes 10 minutes to put together. Glue in the foam, screw in the driver, screw in the amp, done. I don't know why they don't just assemble them themselves, since everything is pre-cut and the enclosure is pre-made.

I think it's worth a look

I'll take a closer look. I've seen the Dayton recommended before but once I saw it was a kit my look was over. Looks matter (WAF & me ) so I want something that looks professionally put together not something put together by a n00b on his first try.

I assume the Dayton will sound at least as good as the subs I'm looking at.
post #1006 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I assume the Dayton will sound at least as good as the subs I'm looking at.

Of the subs you mentioned the Bic H100 will have the highest WAF and it's a great budget sub too. The others all are pretty much industrial black boxes, but in the dark...

Performance and SQ
A2-300
A3-250
STF 2
Dayton Kit
Bic
Velo
Klipsch

None are bad, the top 4 are an arguable tie, but the eD subs being flat to 18hz with considerable SPL advantage below 25hz where the other guys can't go.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1007 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

Of the subs you mentioned the Bic H100 will have the highest WAF and it's a great budget sub too. The others all are pretty much industrial black boxes, but in the dark...

Performance and SQ
A2-300
A3-250
STF 2
Dayton Kit
Bic
Velo
Klipsch

None are bad, the top 4 are an arguable tie, but the eD subs being flat to 18hz with considerable SPL advantage below 25hz where the other guys can't go.

Both eD's go down to 18Hz and cost $350. The A2-300 is 12" and 200W while the A3-250 is 10" and a whopping 350W. I heard size matters so shouldn't the A2-300 be better or does the A3-250's 350W make up for the 2"? And what's with the eD finish? It looks like if you ran your hand over it you would come away cut and bloody.

The BIC H-100 is very attractive and has many advocates in the subwoofer forum.
post #1008 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 07:41 PM
jmn

[quote]Originally Posted by Arnelf View Post

For those of you in Toronto, good deal on the CSi5 (2 units left) at the Yonge and Dundas Futureshop. Price is marked at $259 but you can get it for $149! There's also one RTi6 left see if you can get a good deal on that one too![quote]

I stop by the Yonge and Dundas Futureshop, I see they are doing renovation of the building, I did not see them open for business. Do you know when will they finish the renovation to reopen ?
post #1009 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

2 rti8 for mains
1 csi5
2 rti6 for surround

I'm getting the exact same setup. Already have the rti8's and csi5 tomorrow. Receiver (onkyo 605) hopefully by next week. Next (later down the line) will be sub and then surrounds. I figure my family room is small enough so I can do w/o the surrounds for now. Plus I'm still debating on the rti6 or fxi3. My sofa is against the back wall so placing the fxi3 on each side in dipole mode would work but I'm worried people sitting anywhere but the sofa won't get the same surround effect. Any comments on that? Also, can anyone comment on whether just using the rti8 and csi5 without a sub will make them work too hard to pump out the bass or can I do without it for a while?
post #1010 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 PM

[quote=jmn;11807719][quote]Originally Posted by Arnelf View Post

For those of you in Toronto, good deal on the CSi5 (2 units left) at the Yonge and Dundas Futureshop. Price is marked at $259 but you can get it for $149! There's also one RTi6 left see if you can get a good deal on that one too!
Quote:

I stop by the Yonge and Dundas Futureshop, I see they are doing renovation of the building, I did not see them open for business. Do you know when will they finish the renovation to reopen ?

They are actually not renovating, that one is a brand new location. The old Yonge and Dundas Futureshop is still open and located just north of Dundas east of Yonge past HMV and the closed Sam the Record Man store. They will move to the new and bigger site when it opens sometime in November.
post #1011 of 39101 Old 10-03-2007, 10:56 PM
jmn

thanks for the info. When they open the new location, I hope they give good sale on Energy speakers, I see people in Energy forum highly praise them....
post #1012 of 39101 Old 10-04-2007, 01:32 AM

RTi A3 Black. Cherry available for pre-order.

Black RTi A5 for pre-order. Cherry "coming soon."

RTi A7 pre-order, black or cherry.

Black RTi A9. Cherry pre-order.

Also, FXi A4 available in black or white.

FXi A6 in white. Black "coming soon."

Centers are all available except for the black A6.

They're trickling in. No sign of them on Crutchfield's site yet. All of this as of 4:30AM Eastern on October 4.
post #1013 of 39101 Old 10-04-2007, 06:52 PM

Well my onkyo 705 is on it's way, but the rti8's are not onsale anymore at fry's and i couldnt get the sales rep to sell them to me at the price they had a couple days ago. I'm not sure if I should wait for another sale or just try and find a good coupon or something and order online.
post #1014 of 39101 Old 10-04-2007, 07:49 PM

I think JR and amazon have them for about the same as frys does/did.
post #1015 of 39101 Old 10-04-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxkid View Post

I think JR and amazon have them for about the same as frys does/did.

Nope, no such luck, right now the prices are as follow:

Amazon: $271.23 (Free shipping)
JR: $224.99 (Plus 41.44 shipping)
Crutchfield: $274.99 (Free shipping)

Maybe (hopefully) they will go lower over the weekend.
post #1016 of 39101 Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Sorry, I didn't account for shipping.
post #1017 of 39101 Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When you give a price for speakers you have to include shipping because that can range from zero to more than 20% of the retail price.
post #1018 of 39101 Old 10-04-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah, shipping is the killer there. Apparently it's not too cheap to haul 50lbs of speaker
I tried asking crutchfield for a price match but they wouldn't go for it, the rep i talked to seemed to ask around for it though, so maybe it is a possibility if i can get lucky with a different rep next time. Anybody has any success stories with crutchfield price matching?
post #1019 of 39101 Old 10-05-2007, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Both eD's go down to 18Hz and cost $350. The A2-300 is 12" and 200W while the A3-250 is 10" and a whopping 350W. I heard size matters so shouldn't the A2-300 be better or does the A3-250's 350W make up for the 2"? And what's with the eD finish? It looks like if you ran your hand over it you would come away cut and bloody.

The BIC H-100 is very attractive and has many advocates in the subwoofer forum.

From what I've read from eD, the A2-300 still has the advantage in SPL...doesn't have to work as hard with the 12" driver and larger box. Yes the finish is definitely industrial, but I hear it's better in person. I've heard the Bic a couple of times...as I said before it's a great budget sub, equal to retail subs in the $4-500 range. It's not equal to eD or Hsu offerings...they are a step up...sound quality, extention and especially impact.

post #1020 of 39101 Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 AM

ok so i bought a jbl balboa center ch because it was the cheapest/best at the time about 50 shipped... now im looking at the matching fronts balboa 30s and there all sold out so i have to get them online.. so i started looking at some polks.. has anyone heard the r50s or the r300s? its a race between those sets or tha balboa 30s please help me decide???
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page