post #10261 of 39130 Old 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchy View Post

i think it would be pretty difficult to tax an AVR w/ the M70's... they're pretty efficient speakers.

Not too hard if you like it loud . I mean whats the point in buying super big speakers if your not gonna crank it right .

Thankfully I went and got myself a dedicated amp (Thanks Ron Temple) and so far have no worries about taxing my setup (Monitor 60's, CS2, Monitor 40's).

Actually taking that Carver amp to a meet to see how it does with some 4 ohm LSi 15's this weekend .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10262 of 39130 Old 04-01-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I find HT the least taxing on an AVR or my amps. The sub takes the huge peaks and even at reference level the meters on my amps rarely bump over 30 watts. Now music in 2 channel, I've watched the needles on my Carver TFM35 tap the edge at average listening levels of 90dbs when 10db + peaks hit. The meters max out at 500w. Unclipped peaks take a ton of current for very brief periods. SDAs like LSis are quite a load.

On an AVR, when you crank it, if it still sounds clean without harshness or compression, you're probably not clipping. If it gets fatigueing or doesn't sound as good at -3dbs lower, then your probably are clipping and are hearing distortion.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #10263 of 39130 Old 04-01-2011, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Probably wouldn't be necessary for the bedroom, but down the road you'd be glad you stepped up to the STF2. I've read many good reports of the STF2 and I think the extra 6Hz extension would be well worth a mere $80.

That's what I figure now that I assess it, it would feel silly to think I went through the ordering of such an item only to ponder what another $80 could have provided should the circumstance change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoyeB View Post

If he entertains the STF2 he might as well get VTF1 since its on sale now. The VTF1 could double as "magic fingers" if you hide it under the bed

Ah, that's where the "Hey what the heck"-ism begins lol. That starts to tread quite a bit out of my price range now and the little surpluses in cost start getting too easily justified

Rob excellent post on the 60-70 upgrade, I was actually pondering just that (whether to get the 70s instead). I'd recommend you bust out Transformers or some other Michael Bay insult to film to give the speakers the workout, but why torture yourself while you're at it?
post #10264 of 39130 Old 04-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Blackstone TL3 five pack with a wireless sub (can hardly wait!) and am looking for speaker stands. I don't see any from Polk for the TL series. Has anyone found a good solution?

(I'm renting so don't want to hang on wall, plus couch is against back wall and hanging on wall would point sound forward, not a us.)
post #10265 of 39130 Old 04-02-2011, 09:41 PM

If you have the space to put satellites on stands, why aren't you buying floor standing speakers?

Signature.
post #10266 of 39130 Old 04-02-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:

If you have the space to put satellites on stands, why aren't you buying floor standing speakers?

Valid question. The apartment is pretty full now, and I think floor standing surrounds would make it feel more cramped. I think a simple floor stands and the smaller speakers would just work out better. Just don't see any for the Blackstone's.
post #10267 of 39130 Old 04-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSteve View Post

. . . hanging on wall would point sound forward, not at us.

You might want to try what they sound like on the back wall, elevated well above your ears. It may not work ideally but you just might be surprised by the result, especially if you experiment with the distance between the speakers and angle you point them. While not the recommended location by either Dolby or THX, it is a recommendation of Polk's re: mounting locations for surrounds as diagrammed in the owner's manual that came with the Monitors.

Few of us probably have the ideal room for surround speaker placement so I would venture that most of us utilize some compromise or another. I just made a change in surround speaker placement with my recent purchase of the M30s for this role and they are both up above and behind us now, slightly toed out. It is a very oddly shaped room with few right-angles at the walls and ceiling, and the speakers are mounted ~8' from the floor on posts/pillars above a half-wall that sits a few feet behind us. I was worried that I was going to lose the sense of the sides of the sound stage and hear everything coming from behind and overhead, however, am not hearing that at all and it sounds like a 360 degree sound stage. I've been watching several action films recently in DTS and DD and am rather pleased with what I'm hearing. Despite being monopole speakers in a supposedly sub-optimal location, my ears are not localizing the sites of the surround speakers.

I have never tried floor-standing speakers for surrounds but realize many do use them for this purpose. That this works surprises me more than mounting surround speakers on the back wall, as it puts the speaker right at ear level while seated. As that apparently works well for many people too, that suggests to me that experimenting with surround speaker placement will likely yield many acceptable options, though I'm sure room acoustics will play a large role in the final result.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #10268 of 39130 Old 04-03-2011, 06:16 AM

I have some good news! I just bought some FXi A6 Surround Speakers. Next week I am going to be buying a pair of RTi A9's. I already have a CSi A6 for my center.
post #10269 of 39130 Old 04-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenstylus1 View Post

I have some good news! I just bought some FXi A6 Surround Speakers. Next week I am going to be buying a pair of RTi A9's. I already have a CSi A6 for my center.

That is good news, congratulations. You gonna love those FXi's.

post #10270 of 39130 Old 04-03-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centauro74 View Post

That is good news, congratulations. You gonna love those FXi's.

Nice. Now just need to buy the receiver a Pioneer sc-37. And a Epik Sub
post #10271 of 39130 Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugenstylus1 View Post

Nice. Now just need to buy the receiver a Pioneer sc-37. And a Epik Sub

Why buy an AVR with an advanced amplifier in it, as opposed to an AVR + an external amp?

Signature.
post #10272 of 39130 Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Why buy an AVR with an advanced amplifier in it, as opposed to an AVR + an external amp?

Don't currently have the space for an external amp. Maybe down the line.
post #10273 of 39130 Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCasualty View Post

... I just made a change in surround speaker placement with my recent purchase of the M30s for this role and they are both up above and behind us now, slightly toed out...

I'm curious what you mean by "toed out" ... do you mean they're more pointed toward to the screen than the listener (but still toward the center of the room) or do you mean they're pointed more toward the side walls than the center (away from the listener)?

My couch is against the back wall of my apartment living room, so I'm somewhat limited with placement for my Monitor 30 rears, but I'm open to new options. I currently have them both just sitting on the side-tables next to the couch, pointed directly at the listener. If you or anyone has any suggestions for options I should try, I'm all ears
post #10274 of 39130 Old 04-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

I'm curious what you mean by "toed out" ... do you mean they're more pointed toward to the screen than the listener (but still toward the center of the room) or do you mean they're pointed more toward the side walls than the center (away from the listener)?

They're pointed forward toward the screen, just slightly toward the side walls.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #10275 of 39130 Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My couch is against the back wall of my apartment living room, so I'm somewhat limited with placement for my Monitor 30 rears, but I'm open to new options. I currently have them both just sitting on the side-tables next to the couch, pointed directly at the listener. If you or anyone has any suggestions for options I should try, I'm all ears

If you can mount them on walls in a straight line w/ the listener's ears on the side walls you will be golden. Check out the 5.1 setup at this link and just imagine your Monitor 30's as the surrounds rather than bipole/dipole speakers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #10276 of 39130 Old 04-04-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTowel View Post

Very nice read. Those comments reaffirm my feelings for the RTi line. Monitors are nice, but the RTi line is something special to me. Anyway, is this RT5 comparable to the A1 or A3 of today's line? I dont remember the woofer size being mentioned in there.

On the other hand, the monitor series of today are great entry level speakers that deliver reasonably accurate sound at a very aggressive price point.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/p...specifications
Polk Audio RT5 loudspeaker Specifications

Sidebar 1: Specifications

Description: Two-way, stand-mounted, magnetically shielded, reflex-loaded loudspeaker. Drive-units: one 6.5" mineral-loaded polymer-cone woofer, one 1" polymer-dome tweeter. Frequency response: 54Hz-23kHz, ±3dB. Nominal impedance: "compatible with 8 ohm outputs." Sensitivity: 89dB/2.83V/m. Amplifier requirements: 20-125W.
Dimensions: 14.5" (368mm) H by 8.5" (216mm) W by 9.75" (248mm) D. Weight: 20 lbs (9.1kg) each.
Serial numbers of units reviewed: 34383 & 34384.
Price: $330/pair (1998); no longer available (2011). Warranty: 2 years, with 3-year extension for submitting warranty card. Approximate number of dealers: 500.
Manufacturer: Polk Audio, 5601 Metro Drive, Baltimore, MD 21215. Tel: (410) 358-3600. Fax: (410) 764-5266. Web: www.polkaudio.com.

post #10277 of 39130 Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In tour case they should be pointed to the screen.

post #10278 of 39130 Old 04-04-2011, 06:53 PM

I figured out why Audyssey was turning down my RF speaker and calculating it as closer than my LF speaker. My LF speaker tweeter is not operational

Monitor 70s aren't any more than a few months old! There getting a good workout. Hopefully Polk can get this straightened out quick.

Are they going to ask me to remove the tweeter and do some diagnostics, or just ship the whole thing back? My boxes got wet in a basement flood so I don't have any boxes.

If they are going to ask me to open the speaker, I can open it now and certify exactly whats bad. I will be on the road tomorrow for a week and wont have a chance to do this until I get back. be nice if I could do it before I leave and return with the parts at my doorstep :|

Signature.
post #10279 of 39130 Old 04-04-2011, 11:45 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum and looking to hook up on the Polk discussions. I've purchased two Polk audio setups over the period of one year.

The first home theater setup that got me into Polk Audio was a 5.1 system using four RTi8's with an RTi CSi A6 center channel and PSW111 subwoofer. I used a Pioneer Elite VSX-23THX with 110W x 7 (20Hz - 20 kHz, .09% THD @ 8 ohms) to power the system.

This setup was truly impressive to me and everyone had over my home. However, the upgrade bug made me get rid of everything and start over. I really want something that had a fuller sound and a more luxurious look. Therefore, I went with the RTi A series.

I purchased RTi A9's for the front, RTi A7's for the rears surrounds, RTi CSi A6 (which I already owned), and lastly the Polk DSW PRO 500 (10 inch, 200 Watt). Considering that the RTi A series speakers are a little power thirsty, I added the Pioneer Elite SC-35 which is 140W x 7 (20Hz - 20kHz, .09% THD @ 8 ohms).

I have found the RTi A series as a whole is little on the bright side which I tamed in the EQ. I also found that you can create a full sound out of these speakers but you most likely will need to add a little more bass in the lower frequencies in your EQ as well. The Pioneer automatic calibration makes a flatter sound than which is to my liking. Nevertheless, I was able to make a clean full sound that often doesn't need the power subwoofer. Therefore, the powered subwoofer is often turned off except on the movies and when I listen to music but not regular TV shows.

I'm not and expert but I can share my experience with these products. I'm looking to chat it up and maybe learn a few things.

And before anyone ask, I do have a reason for the RTi A7 rears. They are not overkill.
LL
LL
LL
post #10280 of 39130 Old 04-04-2011, 11:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I wouldn't purchase another Polk subwoofer if I were you any more look towards the Internet direct companies and you'll hear real bass
post #10281 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

I wouldn't purchase another Polk subwoofer if I were you any more look towards the Internet direct companies and you'll hear real bass

Yeah, I heard that before. However, I'm please with the bass I have in my second living room.

I sure there is more powerful and or better for the same money subs because I have heard them myself. However, I still did it because American TV gave me a pair of Polk R150 with it. They basic suckered me in with that.

I still like the sub but I'm sure there is better out there.
post #10282 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 04:06 AM

Liked: 11
SRTer,

Nice setup! I've heard mostly good things about the new Polk subs like your Pro 500 (compared to their older and cheaper stuff), so I'm sure it's fine -- especially considering you have A9 mains and can set them to "large" (or crossover at 60hz or so) My long-term plan is to replace my R50 mains with A7s someday.

I use the R150s for surrounds -- amazingly good little speakers for that duty.

Florida_Gator
post #10283 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 04:46 AM

That is a dream setup for me. Still, do tell about the RTiA7 rears

Signature.
post #10284 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Gator View Post

Nice setup! I've heard mostly good things about the new Polk subs like your Pro 500 (compared to their older and cheaper stuff), so I'm sure it's fine -- especially considering you have A9 mains and can set them to "large" (or crossover at 60hz or so)

Yes, the DSW is said to be a nice product and not to be confused with their cheaper subs. Those A9's are some BIG speakers!

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #10285 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
SRTer, very nice setup you have!

And I'm not just saying that because there's a pistol on your coffee table.

Cary
post #10286 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

For anyone wanting to move up from Monoprice wire to something more mid range, MIT has a blow-out sale on some quite decent wire.

http://www.mitcablesexpress.com/exp-b-stock-sale.html

Yes I know, we mostly use Monoprice, but at these kinda prices why not give er a try? Heck they even come with plugs attached so you dont need to do anything other than plug and play....

Heck I paid ~30 bucks for 33 feet of AudioQuest wire (and then another 50 for my bannana connectors) and MIT is supposed to be leaps and bounds better and its not that much more with connections, so techinically its cheaper.

Quote:

post #10287 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
FWIW, I have ordered from Mono a couple times, but still stick with Parts Express for most supplies. I've had some issues with MP's quality and inventory (sold out of the better plugs so order the cheapies, and find they fall off or have to be positioned "just so"). But MP will ship a small order by mail at little extra cost, while PE uses Fedex, so if I can I wait til I'm ready to place a large order of supplies anyway.

There have been threads here on AVS about MP, with the usual "well I've never had any problems" and "why didn't you tell them about that" but frankly it just isn't worth the hassle. Sometimes I'll even get plugs and cables from Amazon or NewEgg.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #10288 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post
FWIW, I have ordered from Mono a couple times, but still stick with Parts Express for most supplies. I've had some issues with MP's quality and inventory (sold out of the better plugs so order the cheapies, and find they fall off or have to be positioned "just so"). But MP will ship a small order by mail at little extra cost, while PE uses Fedex, so if I can I wait til I'm ready to place a large order of supplies anyway.

There have been threads here on AVS about MP, with the usual "well I've never had any problems" and "why didn't you tell them about that" but frankly it just isn't worth the hassle. Sometimes I'll even get plugs and cables from Amazon or NewEgg.
Eh, only problem I have had is their "premium" rca's are soo tight a fit on my amp and reciever they actually pulled the RCA sleeve off my amp when I removed them. The 0.68 cent one went on with no problems and fit like a glove. So I ordered 4 more of those and will put the "premium" ones into the box of misfit audio cable's

Quote:

post #10289 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
That is a dream setup for me. Still, do tell about the RTiA7 rears
Well, I purchased the RTi A7’s because it came to me one day that people said some people might be wrong about what is need in the rear channels. I found that when I had my four RTi8’s; on some material they really were put to work.

Just because you have a sub doesn’t mean that the bass coming from it is as realistic as possible. Rolling off frequencies from the mains and rears at 80Hz is standard practice, but it does not mean that the data in all material is designed to be played like that.

I have a few live concerts DVD that have played the rear channel at full volume with a bass line and all. I’ve had movie with exploding coming from the rear and because of the RTi A7’s, it really sounded believable because the bass from the blow up did come from the rear with the sub adding a little kick to it. Sometime, I think that some subs (albeit not the most expensive ones) are a little messy and over achieving in creating bass but the towers taking a good amount of that work load makes things a little nicer to me.
Once again, that is to me.

Furthermore, the Pioneer Elite SC-35 allows for all speakers to play while listing to music and the rear RTi A7’s do get a full workout over here. They sound great, plus they play a little more mid-bass in the midrange speaker array because of the larger 6.50 inch driver and 125Hz crossover. I really wished Polk would have put the same in the RTi A9’s in place of the two 5.25 inch drivers. I’m worried with their 120Hz crossover point during hi volume music. I just think that’s a little low for the 5.25’s.

The RTi A7’s are nice, I really could have just done four of those, but it just didn’t feel right. Had to get the bigger speaker just to say I got it.

Think I might use the R15 for Height Speakers. Don't know.
post #10290 of 39130 Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
SRTer, very nice setup you have!

And I'm not just saying that because there's a pistol on your coffee table.

Cary
Yeah, we like to keep the coffee warm over here....

Therefore, we keep the heat on poppin hot.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread - Psw108 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page