Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Speakers > Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread
J\V's Avatar J\V 07:10 PM 12-28-2005
Thanks! That little nugget is just what he needs!

Doc99's Avatar Doc99 07:49 AM 12-30-2005
Well, I wound up getting the Monitor 60s, and am very pleased with the sound. I did not know how they would compare to my Polk RT-400s(which have incredible bass, and I knew the 60's would not compare in this department), but I can say that the Monitor 60s do sound better. Better midrange and highs. I find the tweeters "JUST RIGHT" Very detailed, but never harsh. I compared these also to the RTi8, and oppose to some opinions on the Polk forum, I do like these more. If I had to critize anything, it would be that these do lack the low end, but the bass that they do have is so detailed. Definitely benifit with a sub.
bjornb17's Avatar bjornb17 01:26 PM 12-30-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc99 View Post

Well, I wound up getting the Monitor 60s, and am very pleased with the sound. I did not know how they would compare to my Polk RT-400s(which have incredible bass, and I knew the 60's would not compare in this department), but I can say that the Monitor 60s do sound better. Better midrange and highs. I find the tweeters "JUST RIGHT" Very detailed, but never harsh. I compared these also to the RTi8, and oppose to some opinions on the Polk forum, I do like these more. If I had to critize anything, it would be that these do lack the low end, but the bass that they do have is so detailed. Definitely benifit with a sub.

I have the Monitor 70s and your review pretty much sums up how i feel as well
Doc99's Avatar Doc99 04:03 PM 12-30-2005
Yeah. If I did not run a seperate sub(Mirage S-10), I would have went with the Monitor 70s. Now time for an electronics change. I just don't like a fixed 90hz crossover that my Yamaha has. I think it is to high for floorstanders.
Kevin Golding's Avatar Kevin Golding 04:11 PM 12-30-2005
My setup for the last 6 years:

RT35i mains
CS245i center
R10 surrounds (a 2nd pair added this year)

I also had a PSW100 long enough to build a Tempest sonosub.
jb0362's Avatar jb0362 04:40 PM 12-30-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post

Just refer to your Polktionary and become familiar with the terminology

Lets all just shut the POLK up and get on with talking about speakers...

I have a Pioneer 43 in. Plasma PDP4350
5 - POLK RM6200's
Polk PSW250
powered by a Sony STRDE845

What are your thoughts on these speakers?
I have just completed my basement and will be moving everything soon.

Also I have 2 Subs (PSW250's) only running one of them ..any benefit to using 2?
bjornb17's Avatar bjornb17 04:55 PM 12-30-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0362 View Post

Lets all just shut the POLK up and get on with talking about speakers...

I have a Pioneer 43 in. Plasma PDP4350
5 - POLK RM6200's
Polk PSW250
powered by a Sony STRDE845

What are your thoughts on these speakers?
I have just completed my basement and will be moving everything soon.

Also I have 2 Subs (PSW250's) only running one of them ..any benefit to using 2?

POLK you!
bembol's Avatar bembol 12:53 PM 12-31-2005
Main >> RT25
Center >> CSi3
Surround >> R15
Subwoofer >> PSW120

Picked up the CSi3 and R15 just a few days ago on Boxing Day...!!!
irnmdn's Avatar irnmdn 06:38 PM 12-31-2005
Tweeter has this system for $130/pair. I could not find any info about this speaker anywhere at Polk's website or internet. How does this speaker compare to RTi4 or M30. I have M40 as fronts, I am looking for matching rear speaker to connect to Sony stereo receiver in A+B configuration.
bjornb17's Avatar bjornb17 12:43 AM 01-01-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmdn View Post

Tweeter has this system for $130/pair. I could not find any info about this speaker anywhere at Polk's website or internet. How does this speaker compare to RTi4 or M30. I have M40 as fronts, I am looking for matching rear speaker to connect to Sony stereo receiver in A+B configuration.

it's the same as the monitor 30s with a slightly different colored face. nice little speakers and $130 for the pair is phenominal! go and snatch them!
RotaryPowered's Avatar RotaryPowered 03:17 PM 01-01-2006
Just purchased a pair of Polk RTi10's for the front, centers will be CSi5, R30's rears r15's rear surounds. I've read all of the grumblings about lack of midrange with the 10's. I remember reading a post that the issue evolved around the fact that the 10's needed a large amp or dedicated amp. I will be using a Sony STRDA3000ES digital amp rated at 150w per channel. Will this receiver drive the 10's to the level needed to produce the best mid range sound? I went with the 10's as they are in a larger room 18x24, 19ft ceiling, one wall consist of floor to ceiling of windows, very open floor plan. I know not the best for HT but will have to suffice until the media room is finished one day in the basement. Set-up will be for mostly movies with a Panasonic TH50PX-500u as the display.

Secondly the only physical location for my center is above the TV approx. 8in above the set with a total height of 74 inches from the floor. Can I angle center down a little and still expect to get a decent sound image?
Ron Temple's Avatar Ron Temple 04:03 PM 01-01-2006
While the 10s say they are nominally 8ohms, there was a picture floating around with a meter on them showing 4. 150wpc would seem to be enough to get the woofs moving, if you're receiver can handle them. 200wpc would probably be better. If your Sony gets overly hot or shuts off, you're going to need to think about separate amps. (Many people are giving them far less with no problem, so I doubt if there's a problem)
RotaryPowered's Avatar RotaryPowered 05:33 PM 01-01-2006
I hope they are 8ohm as this receiver is known to have several issues with 4ohm speakers. I was purposely avoiding all 4ohm speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

While the 10s say they are nominally 8ohms, there was a picture floating around with a meter on them showing 4. 150wpc would seem to be enough to get the woofs moving, if you're receiver can handle them. 200wpc would probably be better. If your Sony gets overly hot or shuts off, you're going to need to think about separate amps. (Many people are giving them far less with no problem, so I doubt if there's a problem)

cneely8's Avatar cneely8 08:02 AM 01-02-2006
I'm considering the polk FX series for my 6th and 7th channels. These are the triangular bipole/dipole speakers.

Any experience with these? opinions?
fergusonv's Avatar fergusonv 08:38 AM 01-03-2006
The 10's are 4 ohm speakers.
maggiefan's Avatar maggiefan 11:21 AM 01-03-2006
Hi guys. I'm a Club Polk member too.

RTi70 fronts.
CSi30 center.
FXi30 surrounds.
JBL PB10 sub. (yeah, that could use improvment)..
RotaryPowered's Avatar RotaryPowered 06:28 PM 01-03-2006
Why do the specs from Polk state they are 8ohm when they are 4ohm? How are they wired differently than the rti8's, they have the same specs to are they not 4ohm also, if not what makes them different? Are they using different parts within speaker construction? What options do I have other than buying another amp? Of all the RTi10 speakers sold on the market there are only a couple of people that noticed this?? You mean to tell me they are using 2 ohm speakers? Come on what gives....a call to Polk is in order...
nelson57's Avatar nelson57 07:57 PM 01-03-2006
cneely the FXi's are excellent surrounds IMO, I have them both on the sides, and in the rear set at bipole. You won't be disappointed.
RotaryPowered's Avatar RotaryPowered 08:17 PM 01-03-2006
Ok read up on the Pro amps (a lot of info to digest). If using a Crown XLR 402 what do i need to set it up to my Sony 3000es receiver and my Polk RTi10's? At this point i would only want to use the pro amp on the front mains. Do i need two amps or one? How do i connect it to my receiver, is this easy? Thanks for helping a newbie!
Ron Temple's Avatar Ron Temple 12:21 AM 01-04-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryPowered View Post

Why do the specs from Polk state they are 8ohm when they are 4ohm? How are they wired differently than the rti8's, they have the same specs to are they not 4ohm also, if not what makes them different? Are they using different parts within speaker construction? What options do I have other than buying another amp? Of all the RTi10 speakers sold on the market there are only a couple of people that noticed this?? You mean to tell me they are using 2 ohm speakers? Come on what gives....a call to Polk is in order...

This is from memory. I think Buckeyefan posted this, you might want to do a search. I have no idea why Polk hasn't addressed this. If you unbridge the binding posts, each set of posts measures on the meter at 8 ohms. When they are bridged they measure 4. He took some pictures. Others have noted that they like a lot of juice to open up the 7" woofs. I think they are rated to 300watts. I'm not saying they are going to burn out your Sony or that it will clip. Just more power will do them justice.
RotaryPowered's Avatar RotaryPowered 09:20 AM 01-04-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

This is from memory. I think Buckeyefan posted this, you might want to do a search. I have no idea why Polk hasn't addressed this. If you unbridge the binding posts, each set of posts measures on the meter at 8 ohms. When they are bridged they measure 4. He took some pictures. Others have noted that they like a lot of juice to open up the 7" woofs. I think they are rated to 300watts. I'm not saying they are going to burn out your Sony or that it will clip. Just more power will do them justice.

Thanks for the info. So all i would have to do is hook up a Crown 402 amp to the front speaker Pre Out on the back of my receiver via XLR/RCA cable to the Crown amp?And then connect the speakers to the crown amp for this to work? Am I still able to make frequency adjustments etc.. via my receiver with this set-up?
Ron Temple's Avatar Ron Temple 10:11 AM 01-04-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotaryPowered View Post

Thanks for the info. So all i would have to do is hook up a Crown 402 amp to the front speaker Pre Out on the back of my receiver via XLR/RCA cable to the Crown amp?And then connect the speakers to the crown amp for this to work? Am I still able to make frequency adjustments etc.. via my receiver with this set-up?

Yes, that's the ticket. Blend the amp gain/volume in 2 channel to the rest of your speakers, then leave it alone. Calibrate the whole system again. The receiver handles volume and trim from there on out.
AVPnoy74's Avatar AVPnoy74 11:30 AM 01-04-2006
Did anyone here jump on the deals that Fry's had with the Monitor 104 set (2x40s bookshelf mains, 2x30s bookshelf surrounds, CS1 center, PSW10 sub)? In early fall they had the set for $600, then later on clearance for $400, then last Black Friday I heard they were going for around $200.

Very good prices considering their website Outpost is still selling a pair of 40s for about $300 alone.
Ron Temple's Avatar Ron Temple 01:02 PM 01-04-2006
That was a killer deal, nearly have to give the sub away tho
AVKnight's Avatar AVKnight 12:16 PM 01-05-2006
So... I had a great family movie fest over the holidays watching POLAR EXPRESS, THE INCREDIBLES, ROBOTS, and WAR OF THE WORLDS with my array of Polks in the living room! When you got the jaws of the in-laws dropping, you know you are THE MAN! All of the kids just went nuts ("Wow, listen to that!" "Oooh, that is sooo coool!!" "Awesome!" "I can hear stuff behind me!" "Aaaaah!!")

I also heard from my brother-in-law's son, "Dad, when can we get a system?" (Tee-he-he!)

I cranked up the system quite a bit more than normal and the budget R50s, R30s, R15s, CSi3, and PSW12 showed no sign of strain being pushed by the H/K AVR635. They f'n rocked the room!! I know this forum and others criticize the Polk PSW12 subwoofers as being child's play, but I tell you what: watching WAR OF THE WORLD, they did not, I said NOT, bottom out! You still FELT the walls and floor rumble (and drinks ripple) from the tripods. It was a great experience watching everyone enjoying themselves with the home theater.

I've had this system since April, and I am still just as impressed now as I was when I purchased them.

Still lovin' my budget HT:

Polk R50s (Main)
Polk CSi3s (Center)
Polk R30s (Surround)
Polk R15s (Rear)
Polk PSW12
H/K AVR635
pimpcasso's Avatar pimpcasso 12:42 PM 01-05-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVKnight View Post

So... I had a great family movie fest over the holidays watching POLAR EXPRESS, THE INCREDIBLES, ROBOTS, and WAR OF THE WORLDS with my array of Polks in the living room! When you got the jaws of the in-laws dropping, you know you are THE MAN! All of the kids just went nuts ("Wow, listen to that!" "Oooh, that is sooo coool!!" "Awesome!" "I can hear stuff behind me!" "Aaaaah!!")

I also heard from my brother-in-law's son, "Dad, when can we get a system?" (Tee-he-he!)

I cranked up the system quite a bit more than normal and the budget R50s, R30s, R15s, CSi3, and PSW12 showed no sign of strain being pushed by the H/K AVR635. They f'n rocked the room!! I know this forum and others criticize the Polk PSW12 subwoofers as being child's play, but I tell you what: watching WAR OF THE WORLD, they did not, I said NOT, bottom out! You still FELT the walls and floor rumble (and drinks ripple) from the tripods. It was a great experience watching everyone enjoying themselves with the home theater.

I've had this system since April, and I am still just as impressed now as I was when I purchased them.

Still lovin' my budget HT:

Polk R50s (Main)
Polk CSi3s (Center)
Polk R30s (Surround)
Polk R15s (Rear)
Polk PSW12
H/K AVR635

Now this is exactly what makes this hobby worthwhile. Its not who has the most expensive , prettiest , largest most popular equipment etc etc, but the endless hours of enjoyment it brings to you and your family. The looks in thier eyes and comments are simply priceless!
afrogt's Avatar afrogt 05:17 PM 01-06-2006
Hey Polkies, Fry's has the CSi25 center on sale for $79 this weekend.
Ron Temple's Avatar Ron Temple 06:22 PM 01-06-2006
My son just went over to get one to match the R30s I bought him in Sept. So now he's got R30s, CSi25, Mission 30s and a Cadence XSub run through a Denon 1801. Maybe I'll get him to join
leevit's Avatar leevit 08:10 PM 01-06-2006
My Polks are the -RT 35 series X 4 with CS series 300 and PSW 150 12"
I do DVD-A/ and SACD and the results are very good indeed! Although I think the best combo for Polks are DENNON. But I have Integra 100 x 5 with LFE out. DTR-7 WRAT and THX. very nice sound q.
leevit's Avatar leevit 08:12 PM 01-06-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpcasso View Post

Now this is exactly what makes this hobby worthwhile. Its not who has the most expensive , prettiest , largest most popular equipment etc etc, but the endless hours of enjoyment it brings to you and your family. The looks in thier eyes and comments are simply priceless!

If you got to the "brother in law" then you have won!! good job!
Tags: Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop