Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2007, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally connected my Rti10's and Csi5 center to my RX-V3200 and they sound great. I have turned it as high as -20db with no problems. However reading that these speakers respond well to high current/more power, would bi-amping improve the low level performance/sound quality? My A/V room is 15x12x8.

All my a/v eqippment is 9 years old, haven't had the urge to upgrade until a few months ago. This all started with buying a 50" Panny plasma and seeing the Polk sale. Next step is chosing between HD and BR.

PS3 and A2 - just want my HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2007, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAZ View Post

I finally connected my Rti10's and Csi5 center to my RX-V3200 and they sound great. I have turned it as high as -20db with no problems. However reading that these speakers respond well to high current/more power, would bi-amping improve the low level performance/sound quality? My A/V room is 15x12x8.

All my a/v eqippment is 9 years old, haven't had the urge to upgrade until a few months ago. This all started with buying a 50" Panny plasma and seeing the Polk sale. Next step is chosing between HD and BR.

If you don't need HDMI, then that AVR is certainly stout enough. I'm glad it sounds great...and yes, a more powerful amp should improve things still. Good thing the Yammy has pre-outs .

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

If you don't need HDMI, then that AVR is certainly stout enough. I'm glad it sounds great...and yes, a more powerful amp should improve things still. Good thing the Yammy has pre-outs .

Ack 9 years resisting the upgrade bug, but once I decided to start there is no stopping

Next is the Toshiba hd-35a (this week) and then I need a HDMI reciever (looking at the 905 before Xmas), then a new sub and I'm done

PS3 and A2 - just want my HD
Old 10-29-2007, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

You did pretty good...9 years. You deserve a treat. There are some truly great sub options available now too .

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:23 PM

I'm working on putting together a 5.1 surround system and wanted to get some input from all the Polk fans on this thread. My fronts will be a pair RTi150's with a CSi5 center channel. I've also got some Polk RTi4's for rear channels coming soon. I've also got a powered Polk sub (can't remember the model number, but was purchased about 3 years ago along with the RTi150's). I'll be running all of these through a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver and using a Samsung LNT-4671 LCD for viewing. My RTi150's sound so good I didn't want to get rid of them, but rather upgrade around them.

I realize my fronts are older model speakers, however I spoke with someone at Polk who told that I should purchase either the CSi3 or CSi5 as well as the RTi4's or RTi6's if I wanted speakers that are voice-matched to my RTi150's. I went with the RTi4's simply because they are smaller and I will be wall mounting them.

Any thoughts about my proposed setup as far as fine tuning goes? What about bi-amp connections (is it worth it)? I'm pretty fired up about getting this system going, so any other comments are greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmplockmonster View Post

i just upgraded my onk 605 to an 805 to run my lsi15's &lsic and ads surround-ihavn't had the money to get the lsif/x yet.i have heard these speakers are power hungry,does my 805 have enough to push these speakers.in other words would an amp of about $1000 make that much of a difference.i have an eD a5-350 on the way so i hope that helps out the low end.thanks for any and all advice

Your Onk should run things ok if it is 4 ohm stable. If you like it a little on the loud side. (-15 or louder when calibrated) I would definately look into an amp for your front stage.

If you are planning on staying with a reciver for the forseeable future, you might as well at least run all your surrounds from the reciever. Take the Center channel and front speakers off it and it will have more than enough grunt for the rest of your speakers. If you are willing to purchase used, you should be able to get a nice 2 -3 channel amp for under $600.

I would just enjoy what you have for awhile though - unless you start seeing some signs of strain from your reciever (excessive heat, shutdown, distortion) there is no rush to run out and blow your budget. Take you time and enjoy each upgrade. If it works out great (not all of them will) if not, resell (or return) and try something else.

You have a great system. I highest recommendation is to just sit back and enjoy it for awhile....

Michael
Old 10-29-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAZ View Post

I am of the opinion that you are better off just getting a single larger amplifier rather than 2 smaller ones. If you get an amp for your front stage, just run them off the amp and let your AVR spend all its energy taking care of your surrounds. If you have an extra amp you are not using, by all means - plug it in and see if it benefits you. If you would have to purchase another amp to bi-amp - I would sell the one that is not doing it for you. (assuming you have one smaller amp now) and put the funds with whatever you have to get a single larger amp.

I would expect an amp to make for a more clear sound at all volumes (better control of the woofers) and turning it up to make it seem like things get more clear and easier to understand rather than just louder. If you have around 100 watts now - an amp will not get things much louder (a little louder but not much - in my opinion). If you want louder, you are better off looking at more efficient speakers.

glad you are enjoying your system. Do you know anyone (or have any shops nearby) that would let you borrow a 2 channel amp to help you determine if the change in sound is worth the cost to you?

Michael
Old 10-29-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw97 View Post

I realize my fronts are older model speakers, however I spoke with someone at Polk who told that I should purchase either the CSi3 or CSi5 as well as the RTi4's or RTi6's if I wanted speakers that are voice-matched to my RTi150's. I went with the RTi4's simply because they are smaller and I will be wall mounting them.

Any thoughts about my proposed setup as far as fine tuning goes? What about bi-amp connections (is it worth it)? I'm pretty fired up about getting this system going, so any other comments are greatly appreciated!!

When I mounted my LSi7's to the wall using the keyhole slot in the back of the speaker I thought the bass was really muddy and not at all the sound I was used to. (I had 7's for my front speakers at the time) It was suggested that I purchase a set of wall stands from a company called b-tech. (btech-77 are the stands I ended up getting - you can get them from polk or crutchfiled) They work great and the bass sounded much better. They were well worth the $55 they cost me. (plus I could twist the speakers any direction I wanted and tilt them up to 5 degrees)

Other than that - just enjoy what you have for awhile. When you decide something is missing - then start looking at ways to change things around.

Michael
Old 10-30-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoki View Post

It was suggested that I purchase a set of wall stands from a company called b-tech. (btech-77 are the stands I ended up getting - you can get them from polk or crutchfiled) They work great and the bass sounded much better. They were well worth the $55 they cost me. (plus I could twist the speakers any direction I wanted and tilt them up to 5 degrees)

Thanks for the advice! Coincidentally I actually ordered those very same mounts from Crutchfield when I ordered the RTi4's, so it's great to hear they're worth the $60 price tag.

Does anyone have any comments about matching RTi150's with newer Polk speakers (i.e. the CSi5 and RTi4's)? Has anyone out there had any experience setting up a system with a combination of older, discontinued Polk speakers with current Polk speakers?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraw97 View Post

... Does anyone have any comments about matching RTi150's with newer Polk speakers (i.e. the CSi5 and RTi4's)? Has anyone out there had any experience setting up a system with a combination of older, discontinued Polk speakers with current Polk speakers?

I did have a try recently matching a newer CS245i center with four ten years old MiniMonitors. The results were outstanding IMO. However, those RTi150 look like a great speaker and are possibly harder to match! There is no mention of them in the advice article on finding current centers for older Polk speakers. The obvious suggestion would be a CSi5 center, so maybe that would indicate RTi6 or FXi5 surrounds rather than RTi4 ... but you could certainly contact Polk Customer Service about this. They generally are excellent at answering very specific questions within 48 hours.

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/rti150/
http://www.polkaudio.com/contactus/index.php
Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

The CSi40 is the matching center and should be very similar to the CSi5. There will be differences, but the last rev of RTi should play well with your 150s.

A timbre matched system would be...

RTi150
CSi40
RTi25,28,35,38
FXi30,50

Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 AM

Yamaha / Polk Audio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All

I have got a Yamaha HTR 5940 Receiver and was just wondering, would it work well with the following speaker (wich I already have) :

Two Polk Audio Monitor 60 &
Two Polk Audio Monitor 40

When installed, an error message shows up (check SP Wires).. were chequed and replaced everything looks fine, tweeters were burned out, replacement came from Polk Audio but.. I do not want to touch it again till receive a professional opinion.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The receiver and the speakers should work fine together.

Sounds like there is a problem in the speaker wires. Probably a short somewhere. I'd try the receiver with one speaker at a time hooked up to isolate the problem to a specific speaker/wire.

A nail through a speaker wire will often short the two sides together and produce that kind of message. A strand of wire at the terminals touching the opposite terminal will do the same thing.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 PM

WOW these speakers are great pushing them with a Yammy 1600.. Ive been reading that these bad boys can handle some serious power wanted to get any advise from current or previous RTi12 owners. Now all I need are some rears that will sound good wouldnt mind staying with polk I currently have a set of monitor 40s that I am not using as that is always an option ..any advice???:
Old 10-30-2007, 01:34 PM

I really want to stay all polk, but my options are limited. I left about 4 inches between my mantle and tv. So the csi's are too tall. I could mount it above the tv like Mcloki, but my wife does not like that option. Plus it would be very high >8 ft. It would have to be angled down. My wife already is getting annoyed with all the gadgets in the family room. She thinks it's a bachelor's pad .

I did find a short bose center channel that would fit, but it sounds like nobody in here likes bose.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:

The CSi40 is the matching center and should be very similar to the CSi5. There will be differences, but the last rev of RTi should play well with your 150s.

A timbre matched system would be...

RTi150
CSi40
RTi25,28,35,38
FXi30,50

Thanks for the tip. I was able to find some information off the Polk website which states that the speakers models you've mentioned above are the ones that are matched to my RTi150's, however finding folks who sell these discontinued speakers new has proven tough. I'll stick with the CSi5 and RTi4's for now. I'll post again sometime this weekend after I have the full system up and running with a report.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rygamer View Post

I really want to stay all polk, but my options are limited. I left about 4 inches between my mantle and tv. So the csi's are too tall. I could mount it above the tv like Mcloki, but my wife does not like that option. Plus it would be very high >8 ft. It would have to be angled down. My wife already is getting annoyed with all the gadgets in the family room. She thinks it's a bachelor's pad .

I did find a short bose center channel that would fit, but it sounds like nobody in here likes bose.

Rather than skimp, I'd prefer to go phantom center. On your receiver, speaker setup, select none for center, this will direct the center channel to your fronts. The only drawback is off axis seating. Many folks prefer it.

I don't recall what your fronts are, but putting a Bose center or even a slimline Polk RM center in the middle is just too much of a compromise...do without or adjust your TV mount and put in a matching center.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rather than skimp, I'd prefer to go phantom center. ... Many folks prefer it.

I don't recall what your fronts are, but putting a Bose center or even a slimline Polk RM center in the middle is just too much of a compromise...do without or adjust your TV mount and put in a matching center.

I agree entirely. People sometimes go to the trouble of getting the wrong center to make things sound worse instead of better. There's nothing wrong with a phantom center, unless your front speakers are more than 9' apart possibly and some of the seating is too close to either the front left or right.

Have you tried this yet rygamer? Just make sure you adjust the settings in your AVR and place your front speakers correctly. I have heard some excellent setups (IMO) without a center speaker.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by skandl View Post

WOW these speakers are great pushing them with a Yammy 1600.. Ive been reading that these bad boys can handle some serious power wanted to get any advise from current or previous RTi12 owners. Now all I need are some rears that will sound good wouldnt mind staying with polk I currently have a set of monitor 40s that I am not using as that is always an option ..any advice???:

I have my 12 year old rt12's in my rear. They match up to the current RTi8's. I think rti8's would make a great rear speaker set. Heck, I'm thinking about matching my front rti12's with another set of rti12's... They area ll ready all run on Outlaw 2200 monoblocks.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
Old 10-30-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

I agree entirely. People sometimes go to the trouble of getting the wrong center to make things sound worse instead of better. There's nothing wrong with a phantom center, unless your front speakers are more than 9' apart possibly and some of the seating is too close to either the front left or right.

Have you tried this yet rygamer? Just make sure you adjust the settings in your AVR and place your front speakers correctly. I have heard some excellent setups (IMO) without a center speaker.

Right now I just have 2 speakers (rti4's). Everything is in stereo mode. I am not a audiophile, but these speakers are AWESOME. My family room is about 21 ft long 13 ft wide and i feel these speakers are more than adequate.

The fronts are mounted high, but aimed and angled towards the general seating area, which is the center of the room.

I have a onkyo 605, so i'm not sure what mode I'm suppose to be in but I will fiddle with it tonight.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now I just have 2 speakers (rti4's). Everything is in stereo mode. ...

It sounds as though you are off to a good start, and the RTi4 are a favorite choice of many in these threads. I have some small MiniMonitors and some large RT55s, so if the RTi4 are anything like either of these they are definitely good enough for your room. Why not get two more, and then a subwoofer, and go 4.1 instead of stereo? It might make a world of a difference for movies especially and you might be surprised at just how good those RTi4s can be.

Prices have already gone up on the RTi4 since the great deals when the RTi A first came out. If you don't have the budget right now, think of craigslist.com if you live in a large metropolitan area. You might pick up some RT25i or RT35i in good condition for $100-125 a pair. If you do have the budget, get the extra RTi4. I may not be the Polk Audio demi-god that some of the respondents are here (a few come to mind), but that's what I would do in your shoes, and never look back!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have rti8's as fronts without a center channel . I don't miss it at all. Infact I tried
with csi3 and without it . didn't find any difference. Returned csi3.

My fronts are 5 ft apart.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It sounds as though you are off to a good start, and the RTi4 are a favorite choice of many in these threads. I have some small MiniMonitors and some large RT55s, so if the RTi4 are anything like either of these they are definitely good enough for your room. Why not get two more, and then a subwoofer, and go 4.1 instead of stereo? It might make a world of a difference for movies especially and you might be surprised at just how good those RTi4s can be.

Prices have already gone up on the RTi4 since the great deals when the RTi A first came out. If you don't have the budget right now, think of craigslist.com if you live in a large metropolitan area. You might pick up some RT25i or RT35i in good condition for $100-125 a pair. If you do have the budget, get the extra RTi4. I may not be the Polk Audio demi-god that some of the respondents are here (a few come to mind), but that's what I would do in your shoes, and never look back!

rti4's are great little speakers. I am using them as rears with rti8's as fronts.
they blend very well and the SQ is awesome from those little speakers.

I don't mind putting all around
Old 10-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Right now I just have 2 speakers (rti4's). Everything is in stereo mode. I am not a audiophile, but these speakers are AWESOME. My family room is about 21 ft long 13 ft wide and i feel these speakers are more than adequate.
I have a onkyo 605, so i'm not sure what mode I'm suppose to be in but I will fiddle with it tonight.

rygamer, I remember when you were planning to purchase these. Glad you are enjoying them. The RTi6 was my 1st pair of REAL speakers, too. As long as you set the rest of the onkyo's channels to NONE, experiment with some of the listening modes other than STEREO or DIRECT (which I would recommend for pure 2-channel listening, btw). The choices will be probably limited, since you don't have surround speakers yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi View Post

]
I have rti8's as fronts without a center channel . I don't miss it at all. Infact I tried with csi3 and without it . didn't find any difference.... My fronts are 5 ft apart.

Not surprising, since rti8's were too close together and likely overpowering the csi3. You may have noticed csi5 better ,.. and, yes, literally, too (I wish I had space for it in my current setup)

- Val
Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 View Post

rygamer, I remember when you were planning to purchase these. Glad you are enjoying them. The RTi6 was my 1st pair of REAL speakers, too. As long as you set the rest of the onkyo's channels to NONE, experiment with some of the listening modes other than STEREO or DIRECT (which I would recommend for pure 2-channel listening, btw). The choices will be probably limited, since you don't have surround speakers yet.

Not surprising, since rti8's were too close together and likely overpowering the csi3. You may have noticed csi5 better ,.. and, yes, literally, too (I wish I had space for it in my current setup)

- Val

csi5 is too big even csi3 is also big. I am happy without center for now.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:10 AM

Hey it looks like its time to up grade my front mains. I currently have the Polk RM6750 satelites and will be moving those to be my surround L,R, and Back. I need some suggestion on bookshelfs (ie. Monitor 30/Rti4's) to use with them. I know they aren't timber matched but I'm looking for something close to it. Thanks for the help
Old 10-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlam77 View Post

... I need some suggestion on bookshelfs (ie. Monitor 30/Rti4's) to use with them. I know they aren't timber matched but I'm looking for something close to it. Thanks for the help

Grab some RTi4s if you can find a good deal still, and a CSi3 center to match. They were going as low as $150 a pair new (shipped) and $130 for the center (shipped) from amazon.com recently because of the introduction of the new 2008 RTi A line, but prices have crept back up since.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Grab some RTi4s if you can find a good deal still, and a CSi3 center to match. They were going as low as $150 a pair new (shipped) and $130 for the center (shipped) from amazon.com recently because of the introduction of the new 2008 RTi A line, but prices have crept back up since.

I was thinking the same since the rti's seem less expensive.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:21 PM

I been running a system for about 5 years, slowly upgrading each year
(when i have a little extra cash)

Currently..
Receiver:Yamaha RX1200
Center: Polk CSi4
Front Speakers : LSi15's (which i love other than the 4 ohm) Don't have the real power i need to run them, They sound great!!! even with 60watts.
Surround Speakers: B&W LS1's ( would like to buy some LSiFX's some time)
Sub: SVS SB-12 (which shakes the house)
Oppo Upcoverter
32" Bravia Xbr1
and my special JVC VCR (which my wife makes me keep)

If you get a chance to listen to the LSi speakers you might find yourself buying a set.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Welcome montanaredeye! Didn't you mean a CSi3 or CSi5 center channel speaker, or maybe a CSi40?

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su