post #12691 of 39016 Old 02-18-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron116 View Post

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't see any of the RTiA5's on the eBay site at the moment, but I will definitely keep an eye out. Were I to go the A5 route I'd probably opt for the A1's as surrounds.

In my limited research on receivers it looks like the Onkyo 609 and 709 have a pretty good following on this site. Anyone have any thoughts on how either of these receivers would work out with this setup?

Good choice in speakers. Between the two receivers, even though the 609 is a really decent AVR, the 709 not only has a bit more power, but employs pre-outs, this is significant if you plan on or end up deciding you'd like to have more power and want to add an amp to your set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy View Post

I'll be updating the sub and receiver next since my current one should drive the upgraded speakers. Having to do the whole upgrade in phases but want to do all of the speakers at the same time,

I can totally relate! I upgrade my set up one tax return at a time

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 39016 Old 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Don't worry folks, they're still selling them. But I may be replacing mine. Recently I've replaced some of my Monitors with older RTi's from Polk's eBay store. I have been so impressed with the RTi4's and CSi5 that I'm hoping to upgrade most of my Monitors to the RTi line.

I had hoped to go to the top of that line and buy RTiA9's for about $1500, and though I'd still love to do that, they would probably also need a receiver upgrade to one more powerful than my current Denon and/or buy an AVR with pre-outs and add an external amp.

Suddenly this has become a much bigger project than I had intended. But after reading an exchange between Geoff and Star Wars Guy, it occurred to me that I might be just as happy sticking with the discontinued RTi line and just replace everything, but going one step down... RTi10's up front and RTi8's at surround. I believe these would be the equivalent of RTiA7's and RTiA5's, all to be had for around $1000.

I guess this would mean getting rid of both my current M60's and the M70's. But I think this would work out well. Only thing is I think the older models are a bit ugly, with the brushed aluminum fronts and hideous spike feet. Anyone's thoughts on this?

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #12693 of 39016 Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yep, and my next receiver will be a 7.1 for when I have the dedicated room. Then I'll probably want to play the whole upgrade game again! That'll probably have me move the RTi8s to my rears and have new fronts!
post #12694 of 39016 Old 02-18-2012, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

I had hoped to go to the top of that line and buy RTiA9's for about $1500, and though I'd still love to do that, they would probably also need a receiver upgrade to one more powerful than my current Denon and/or buy an AVR with pre-outs and add an external amp.

Suddenly this has become a much bigger project than I had intended. But after reading an exchange between Geoff and Star Wars Guy, it occurred to me that I might be just as happy sticking with the discontinued RTi line and just replace everything, but going one step down... RTi10's up front and RTi8's at surround. I believe these would be the equivalent of RTiA7's and RTiA5's, all to be had for around $1000.

I guess this would mean getting rid of both my current M60's and the M70's. But I think this would work out well. Only thing is I think the older models are a bit ugly, with the brushed aluminum fronts and hideous spike feet. Anyone's thoughts on this?

Yes, a big project indeed! Fortunately for me, I already had an Onk 807 and an XPA-3 driving my Monitor set up. Now that I have my RTiA9's and CSiA6, I got an XPA-2 to drive the mains and the -3 now drives the Monitor 70's in surround with the center.

I had also considered the RTi12's, wasn't too crazy about the face but I did dig the spikes. It was the price on Polk's ebay that was so appealing to me.

I think it's the shape of the cabinet with it's overall refinement of the RTiA line over the RT line that drove me to go for the A9's in the end. With Polks easy pay plan, I'm now considering going with the A7's for surround and the A5's for wides. Forget surround and bookshelfs, I'm going all towers.

One thing for sure Rob, your step up the RTi10's and 8's will be a huge leap over the 70's and 60's.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #12695 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff4RFC View Post

Yes, a big project indeed! Fortunately for me, I already had an Onk 807 and an XPA-3 driving my Monitor set up ... I had also considered the RTi12's, wasn't too crazy about the face but I did dig the spikes. It was the price on Polk's ebay that was so appealing to me.

I remember reading abut the 12's here and checking them out on eBay a few months back. Too bad they're gone now, as I might be reconsidering them. But I have to keep in mind that I really need to think downsizing. It won't be too long and I'll probably be living in some sort of retirement community. Otherwise I'd go for the power amp and whole ten yards.

It was just 2-3 years ago that I sold my massive studio monitors and bought my first Polks (M50's, CS1 and OWM3's at the time, none of which I am still using). In fact it was the search for a decent center - something that was never a factor back in the stereo days, before HT - that led me to this point. I hated the CS1 and went to laying a Monitor60 on its side, then the CS2 and CS20. Finally the CSi5 has the clarity I was looking for. Now the M70's seem to merely "surround" the center.

Quote:

I think it's the shape of the cabinet with it's overall refinement of the RTiA line over the RT line that drove me to go for the A9's in the end... One thing for sure Rob, your step up the RTi10's and 8's will be a huge leap over the 70's and 60's.

The appearance is a BIG factor against the older RTi's. Not sure I really care for the curved cabinets of the newer line though. I'd go for the A9's right away if they weren't likely to be underpowered by my current equipment. I'm hoping that "huge leap" in to the RTi line will be big enough for me. Buying the Monitors ended up like buying candy. Big question will be what to do with them.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #12696 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
I'm hoping this is the right place to do so introduce myself. I just recently got into home audio seriously. I did quite a bit of research before pulling the trigger, at least on speakers lol. I had bought an open box Sony STR-DH-820. At the time I had a cheap RCA 2906 HTIB. The fact that I got a "real" receiver brought even the cheap satillites alive. In any case I ended up returning the Sony. The sound was good and the auto calibration was quite good but I didn't really like the fact that I couldn't hook up front heights and rear surrounds which I plan on doing eventually. Ended up taking it back and was all set on the yamaha rx-571 but they raised the price. Went to a different store and they had the Pioneer VSX-921 on sale! I now have that and love it. I also had bought a psw110 before that which wasn't to bad when I watched super 8, especially on the train crash scene. It was on sale for half off and I got sucked in lol. My setup as of now is Polk CS1 center, M50's front, Owm3 surrounds and M30 rears and an Energy S10.3 sub. I absolutely love the sound!! Not only are the polks amazing speakers for the price, but they are just amazing period. I may end up getting 60's for the front and moving the 50's to surround backs and the 30's to side surrounds. I used to into car audio but this home theater hobby is really sucking me in lol. I have really been learning a lot, especially from here as well as the Club Polk forum. In any case I had a few questions. I have been doing a little more reading and it seems that in a 7.1 configuration the side sourrounds are more important then the surround backs. I was going to get all moniter 30's but I thought maybe the 30's would be to big to wall mount so I got the owm3's for side surrounds. So my question is do you think I should move the 30's from the back to the sides and put the owm3's in the back? I don't really feel I'm lacking in anything just want the best sound I can get. Another possibility is selling the owm3's and getting another pair of M30's. My next question is should try and hook up the psw110 through the line level inputs and use it as a midbass speaker or sell it? I think the energy sub is fantastic. I didn't realize how much polk subs aren't really recommended except for the psw505 which I was comparing to the energy. BTW this is in a mobile home in a 13w x 16l x 8h living room open to a 13w x 15l x 8h kitchen. Although there is a 3h by 10l bar at about the midway point. I can post pictures of my setup at some point if needed. Anyway I'm happy to be a lifetime Polkie and sorry for the long winded post lol. I'm just soo excited to be a part of this community. I'm also planning on posting this in the Club Polk forum so if you are a memeber there and see a similar post there, please don't flame me lol. Thank you for all the in depth information, you as well as Club Polk are the reason I have what I have today and I'm enjoying every minute of it! I'm happy to be a contributing memeber of AVS. I would appreciate any input, thanks!
post #12697 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcome fellow Polkie! I was just coming in to post that I'm pulling the trigger on RTi8's and 10's. I just mentioned to my wife how I miss my old speakers and that I'm thinking of upgrading what we have now. She didn't flinch! Of course, maybe the pearls she got for Valentine's Day may have helped my cause

Regarding rears vs wides, much depends on your seating placement, whether your room is deep vs wide. Our living room is deep, like a movie theater, where viewers sit halfway back the room with lots of open space behind them. In our case, we have surrounds on either side of the listeners and rears far back. If your listening area is arranged in a wide fashion, where seating is spread across the room left to right with little space behind the seats, then certainly highs and/or wides would make more sense.

Regarding your equipment, my first venture into the Polk product line was much the same as what you currently have. I was pleased with the OWM3's and only recently upgraded them to RTi4's. The CS1 and M50's were not so satisfying however. I quickly moved up thru M60's to M70's, and now have many excess Polk Monitors to get rid of. If you are perhaps located in the mid-west I can give you a great deal!

There's nothing wrong with the Monitor line. Much depends on the size of your listening area. I still have M40's, M30's and a CS10 in the bedroom and they are ideal for that size room.

post #12698 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Welcome fellow Polkie! I was just coming in to post that I'm pulling the trigger on RTi8's and 10's. I just mentioned to my wife how I miss my old speakers and that I'm thinking of upgrading what we have now. She didn't flinch! Of course, maybe the pearls she got for Valentine's Day may have helped my cause

Regarding rears vs wides, much depends on your seating placement, whether your room is deep vs wide. Our living room is deep, like a movie theater, where viewers sit halfway back the room with lots of open space behind them. In our case, we have surrounds on either side of the listeners and rears far back. If your listening area is arranged in a wide fashion, where seating is spread across the room left to right with little space behind the seats, then certainly highs and/or wides would make more sense.

Regarding your equipment, my first venture into the Polk product line was much the same as what you currently have. I was pleased with the OWM3's and only recently upgraded them to RTi4's. The CS1 and M50's were not so satisfying however. I quickly moved up thru M60's to M70's, and now have many excess Polk Monitors to get rid of. If you are perhaps located in the mid-west I can give you a great deal!

There's nothing wrong with the Monitor line. Much depends on the size of your listening area. I still have M40's, M30's and a CS10 in the bedroom and they are ideal for that size room.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I may have not made myself clear and I'm sorry for not doing soo. I did not mean surround backs vs wides. I meant should I have the owm3's as backs and the moniter 30's as sides or the other way around, which is my current setup? I live in a mobile home and being that it's in the shape of a rectangle and I have the couch on the one side and the loveseat on the other, it wouldn't be possible to use wides. Although if I ever move or do a total rearranging, I will keep your detailed explanation in mind, thank you. I think I have seen many a post where you say you moved from 50's and a cs1 to 60's and a cs2 and finally 70's unless I'm mistaken. I find that compared to what I had before, this is amazing. I doubt I will be upgrading anytime soon but who knows lol. I'm still hitting myself for not jumping on the open box cherry m60's they had on newegg. Lets just say they were cheaper then a single m60 when they are on sale!!
post #12699 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post

I may end up getting 60's for the front and moving the 50's to surround backs and the 30's to side surrounds.

Welcome to the forum! If I may; IMO, the 50's would produce more sound as surrounds and the 30's would be more appropriate for rear surrounds.

When I was using my M40's as surrounds, I tried them as rears for awhile and they were practically dead in comparison, in fact, I don't use rears at all, I get more activity from the wide channel than heights or rears. Of course a guys needs to experiment himself to see what's what but one things for sure, the surrounds carry more content than the rears.

Quote:

Congratulations Rob, the RTi's will serve you well, a plastered smile for hours to come. It's nice to see I'm not the only one with a wife that has nothing but full support for the monster that consumes us.

BTW, here's a shot of my new cabinet I just built for my gear and new center channel.

post #12700 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Liked: 11
viper186,

I would definitely try the 30's as surrounds (sides) and the OWM3's as rears. There's generally much more content going to the surrounds than the rears.

Florida_Gator
post #12701 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 11
Geoff,

Beautiful job on the new component rack!

Now you just need a bigger TV to go with your big sound!

Florida_Gator
post #12702 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!! Agreed! Next; a 64" to replace the seemingly small 50"

post #12703 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Welcome to the forum! If I may; IMO, the 50's would produce more sound as surrounds and the 30's would be more appropriate for rear surrounds.

When I was using my M40's as surrounds, I tried them as rears for awhile and they were practically dead in comparison, in fact, I don't use rears at all, I get more activity from the wide channel than heights or rears. Of course a guys needs to experiment himself to see what's what but one things for sure, the surrounds carry more content than the rears.

Ahhh I see, well thank you, I guess that means I should use the M30's for surrounds and switch the owm3's to rear surrounds for the moment. The only issue I can see with using 50's as surrounds is the fact that from what I know, surrounds are supposed to be 2-3 feet above ear level for the least amount of localization per THX and dolby labs suggestions. With the way my living room is set up currently, there is no way to elevate the towers to that height anyway but I guess I could try them at normal height if and when I get the 60's. I would also be leary about putting them up that high even if I could. Once my cats start going at it it's like MMA and I do not want them to tip over, much less from 2-3 feet higher then the are now lol. I was orginally going to get the 40's due to that fact and I was afraid they would start using the grills as scratchings posts but they seem quite disinterested in them and they are kind of out of the way of where you walk soo they havent knocked them over....yet. I really like the look of the towers so I'm glad I got them lol.
post #12704 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Gator View Post

viper186,

I would definitely try the 30's as surrounds (sides) and the OWM3's as rears. There's generally much more content going to the surrounds than the rears.

Thanks, looks like I'm going to have to find a way to mount them. I don't think there are studs in the walls where I can keep them right to the side of my seating position. . In fact I know the one side doesn't lol.
post #12705 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Awesome setup BTW Geoff!
post #12706 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Viper- take a look at the stands I made for my wides in earlier post. I made some of those for my 30's also when I was using them. Currently I'm using M70's for surrounds with no lift, just as they sit. The sound is awesome.

post #12707 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Viper- take a look at the stands I made for my wides in earlier post. I made some of those for my 30's also when I was using them. Currently I'm using M70's for surrounds with no lift, just as they sit. The sound is awesome.

Do you happen remember what time/date that post was made. There are a lot of pages in this thread lol. I'm currently on 362 at post 10800 something and trying to read everything up until now lol.
post #12708 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah, just a few posts back, in fact you commented on the set up, thanks. My M40's are set up on stands I made in the garage.

post #12709 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Ahh I didn't see them when I looked before lol. You will have to excuse me I'm at work on an iphone lol. Yeah I have though about building some but I'm just not sure how they would come out with me behind the drill/saw/hammer lol.
post #12710 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Geoff, nice looking setup! I remember thirty years ago when we moved into our current house and the living room had sofa, TV, high end stereo, that's all When you say "made" do you mean assembled or actually fabricated? I always have to admire someone who can do real woodworking and still count ten fingers

Viper you're right, I did not read your post correctly (can happen with a handheld!) But as others have stated, side surrounds will always have program content, rears may or may not, so put your best speakers at the sides. But rears are not insignificant. Putting a pair of CS2's back there really improved our rear soundstage.

post #12711 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

I guess I know what I will be doing on my 3 days off next week but I might not be able to wait that long loll. Yeah hey, s**t happens. I somehow missed you offering to sell your moniters a few posts back. Sadly I live in Pennnsylvania on the East Coast soo no can do but thanks for the offer.
post #12712 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Geoff, nice rack...

RobLee, where in the midwest are you?
post #12713 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy View Post

RobLee, where in the midwest are you?

Cincinnati...

But rather than waste an entire post on just that...

I gotta say I noticed that the Monitor 70's really sound great when I spend the day listening to New Age music on the internet radio, as I've done today and they are really sweet with this kind of material. But it's when I listen to real instruments, say Beethoven's symphonies on Blu-ray, when I notice that that the instruments only sound natural coming from the RTi5 center channel. The other night we watched the 25th Anniversary BD of Phantom of the Opera .. lots of sopranos in that one, and that's what really sold me on the need to upgrade to RTi's all around. But I think I'll keep the 70's though... they look so cool, and if I want to upgrade the 40's in the bedroom I suppose it would make sense to go with full range speakers. Sometimes my wife will surprise me and mention how nice something sounds. I think she's developed a trained ear. It takes time. After a while, one gets to the point where you can't even stand to be in the same room with distortion.

post #12714 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 03:45 PM

Liked: 13
RobLee sent you a PM
post #12715 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post

You can repay that debt by enjoying the music

What an easy payback. Been picking up new music left and right; The Last Concert-The Modern Jazz Quartet, Camino Latino-Liona Maria Boyd, A Mandeli-Pepe Habichuela, Sultans of Swing-The Very Best of Dire Straits, Worrisome Heart-Melody Gardot, and on, and on and on. The LSi7's really sing. I have a pair of 26" Skylan speaker stands on order and I'm putting together a short list of economically priced CD players w/the Marantz CD5004 currently in the lead spot. Thanks again.
post #12716 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by batuche View Post

What an easy payback. Been picking up new music left and right; The Last Concert-The Modern Jazz Quartet, Camino Latino-Liona Maria Boyd, A Mandeli-Pepe Habichuela, Sultans of Swing-The Very Best of Dire Straits, Worrisome Heart-Melody Gardot, and on, and on and on. The LSi7's really sing. I have a pair of 26" Skylan speaker stands on order and I'm putting together a short list of economically priced CD players w/the Marantz CD5004 currently in the lead spot. Thanks again.

Glad your enjoying the music. Now for interconnects speaker cables and components

My Setup

Quote:
There exists, for everyone, a sentence - a series of words - that has the power to destroy you. Another sentence exists, another series of words, that could heal you. If you're lucky you will get the 2nd, but you can be certain of getting the 1st. - Philip K. Dick

post #12717 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 06:54 PM

Just took some measurements and realized that the RTi8s will not fit in my current configuration because they are too deep. All the more incentive to buy a bigger house!
post #12718 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

In my case, I didn't take any measurements... I'll make them fit.

post #12719 of 39016 Old 02-19-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In my case, I didn't take any measurements... I'll make them fit.

Word brother, make them fit!!

Yes, I made my cabinet from a pair of pine planks and four 42" birch dowels. My tools included; jig saw, portable power saw, 19V power drill, sand paper, steel wool, stain, clear polyurethane, wood screws. Oh yeah, a tape measure and pencil

post #12720 of 39016 Old 02-20-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medforddawg View Post

Yes, if I upgrade my speakers, I would upgrade my sub. I have been watching the PSW10s on the ebay store. My original thought is to purchase a new center and fronts, probably Monitor 50s and a CS1 or CS2. But, I saw this add on Craigs List and it was basically the same price as my 6750, and was having a little buyers remorse. I think I am probably better served finding a good deal on some fiftys and the center then spending anything now on a slight upgrade (if it is in fact that).

Medford,
I started with the 6750 system 3 years ago, and I have never regretted it. I had a super tight budget but wanted 5.1 to get started. I have now upgraded everything but the sub and have been very pleased with the order I did it in...
1st: Upgraded center to a Polk CS10 (this should be done first, CS1 is good too)
2nd: Uprgraded fronts to Tsi100 (wish I had got the Tsi200, but still pleased)
3rd: Upgraded surrounds to T15 (not a real common Polk, got an incredible deal and very happy with them.)

brlan with an "i"
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page