Calling all Polkies:Official Polk thread - Page 425 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12721 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 234
So I swapped the omw3's from the rear surrounds to the side and put the moniter 30's at the sides. Oh man, it's so much better. Playing Splinter cell convictions and Killzone 3 that I just got was crazy!

I also watched a little bit of The Transporter. I kind of have been using that as a baseline recently. In was impressed with the movie as well. At first I wasn't, mind you the 30's are about 3 from my ears, finally at the right height lol. So I ended up pointing them down a little more, made a big difference. I now can't tell where the sound is coming from which is how it supposed to be.

I did get a little inebriated as the night when on so that could have been part of it lol. I'm wondering if I should run MCACC and then break out the spl meter again since I moved the couch a bit and angled the 30's down more after I ran it last night? How sweet this hobby is lol......

Oh before I forget I was playing some Splinter Cell last night and there is this bass hit every 10 or 20 seconds in co-op and man did the my S10.3 sound good. This was late and I had the volume down to minus 14 out of 15 on the sub speaker level! I usually run it at +5 during the day. It still sounded sooo good and I only have 10 hours on it so far lol. It wasn't loud at all but it was perfectly clear and soo subtle which is exactly what I want at night. I'm loving this sub more and more every time I listed to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12722 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I'm using 4 RC80i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers and I need a shallow center channel speaker for my Mantle below the TV (Mantle Depth is 7.5in) what should I do! My max budget for a center channel is $350... My initial thought was the CS2, but it's a beast at just under 12in... Any recommendations would be MORE THAN welcome lol
post #12723 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlee138 View Post

If I'm using 4 RC80i 2-Way In-Ceiling Speakers and I need a shallow center channel speaker for my Mantle below the TV (Mantle Depth is 7.5in) what should I do! My max budget for a center channel is $350... My initial thought was the CS2, but it's a beast at just under 12in... Any recommendations would be MORE THAN welcome lol

What should you do?

You should MOVE THE DAMN TV FROM ABOVE THE FIREPLACE. IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE.

I'd like to kill the first feng-shui A$$HAT that did this on whatever HGTV show they got on. There are MANY reasons that's a terrible place to put a TV, and you've just mentioned one of them.

Florida_Gator
post #12724 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:

Any recommendations would be MORE THAN welcome lol

Although I agree with FL Gator in that TV's over the fireplace is not the most ideal placement, that doesn't help your current situation.

Maybe consider a soundbar?

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
post #12725 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Or another ceiling speaker (the kind that angle towards the listener like: http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio/inceiling.php#rts ).

Florida_Gator
post #12726 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 04:00 PM

Im running Polks in my family room and would like some advice on setup. My two mains are R50s and I have them set to Large. I am also using R15s for surrounds and they are set to small. The center is a CSi30 which I just now switched to large to see how it sounded and I'm not sure if I like it. I am using a PSW250 sub. All my speakers are run through an Onkyo 701 AVR which puts out 100W a channel. My room is 16'x13' longer then wider). My rear speakers are mounted on the ceiling angled down because the couch is directly up against the back wall. Yes, I know this isnt ideal but its all I have right now and I just want the best I can get from what I have to work with.

I have my AVR set to 80hz crossover. Now, if you were running this setup then what configuration would you be running these speakers in? (small or large)

Also, here is a picture of my sub. For some reason, I cant really tell a difference when I move the HZ knob around.

Here is a picture of how my rears are set up. Picture was taken from the couch where I watch TV. Not the ideal speaker placement but I have no other choice.

Here is a picture of the entertainment center I made a few years ago for my rear projection. I just picked up this new Sony LED TV 3 days ago.

post #12727 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDZ28 View Post

Im running Polks in my family room and would like some advice on setup. My two mains are R50s and I have them set to Large. I am also using R15s for surrounds and they are set to small. The center is a CSi30 which I just now switched to large to see how it sounded and I'm not sure if I like it. I am using a PSW250 sub. All my speakers are run through an Onkyo 701 AVR which puts out 100W a channel. My room is 16'x13' longer then wider). My rear speakers are mounted on the ceiling angled down because the couch is directly up against the back wall. Yes, I know this isnt ideal but its all I have right now and I just want the best I can get from what I have to work with.

I have my AVR set to 80hz crossover. Now, if you were running this setup then what configuration would you be running these speakers in? (small or large)

Also, here is a picture of my sub. For some reason, I cant really tell a difference when I move the HZ knob around.

Here is a picture of how my rears are set up. Picture was taken from the couch where I watch TV. Not the ideal speaker placement but I have no other choice.

Here is a picture of the entertainment center I made a few years ago for my rear projection. I just picked up this new Sony LED TV 3 days ago.

Hey thats a nice tv, what size is it? I'm quite new to home theater but it seems that your room in the same size as mine, about 16l by 13w. Although mine is set up with 7.1 channels I find that having everything set to small an my crossover at 100hz works quite well. Then everything below 100hz is sent to the subwoofer. If I set the fronts and center to large it seems the sound isn't nearly as clean and the subwoofer kind of fights the mains and center. Now I know I can change the phase of the subwoofer but I haven't had my set up that long to mess with it. In any case I think with R50's, which I believe are similar to my Moniter 50's, don't really go all that low. I think the general consensus is to run 80-120hz crossover on your receiver and let your sub handle everything below that. As far as the crossover on your sub, I see it's connected to the line in jack. Is this one of two connections, the other being LFE? I'm not really experienced enough to say if line in is the same as LFE if thats the only connection. In any case if it is then the crossover on your sub should be bypassed and it is using the receivers crossover which I believe is what you want in most cases. Hope this helps and maybe some of the more experienced posters here can elaborate furthur.
post #12728 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM

The L and R line in are the only input connections on the sub
post #12729 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The L and R line in are the only input connections on the sub

Yeah I see that now lol. So it's only one cable coming out of the "LFE" or "subwoofer out" on the receiver correct? If soo then your subwoofer is only getting a LFE (Low Frequency Effects signal). So the subwoofer crossover is not used in this configuration.
post #12730 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper186 View Post

Hey thats a nice tv, what size is it?

Sony 55" LED. It replaces a big Sony 50" rear projection. Hence the now big gap I have on the top. I will be modifying the cabinet this spring.
post #12731 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sony 55" LED. It replaces a big Sony 50" rear projection. Hence the now big gap I have on the top. I will be modifying the cabinet this spring.

Thats what I thought. I have a 46 at the moment. Quite happy with it but if I ever move up it's going to be a 55 or 60. Any bigger would be way too much for my setup. I just bought a floating tv stand that only goes up to 46 inches soo I guess I'd have to get a new stand too lol.
post #12732 of 39009 Old 02-20-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:

I used R50s for front L & R for years, using R150 surrounds (very similar as your R15s). Best setup for what you have is all "small", with an 80 hz crossover. Set your sub's Hz knob into the white area.

You may find that you need to bump up the center level a tad, to hear dialog over the front L & R. Adjust sub and surrounds to taste.

Florida_Gator
post #12733 of 39009 Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Hey, quick question for you Polk owners out there. I have a wierd problem that Im hoping some of you can help me with.

Setup:
Polk Monitor 60 ii - L + R
Polk Monitor CS1
Polk Monitor 40s - Surround
Outlaw LFM-Plus
Onkyo 809

OK so here is the problem. Every thing sounds great except for some circumstances when I am watching my Verizon Fios on HBO and Encore. When I am listening at low to moderate volumes, I get what sounds like clipping from my Left, Right and Center. When there are explosions or heavy noise, it sounds like there is a static that increases with the intensity of the explosion. The funny thing is, its really not on very loud at all, and seems to only happen on HBO and Epix channels. When I flip to another station, like Starz and leaving it at the same volume, I get no clipping sounds. Even increasing the volume, and watching an intense scene like Two Towers - Helm's Deep battle, I get no clipping or static sounds whatsoever.

I flip back to HBO or Epix, and once it gets to a louder scene, I get that static again. I should note that it seems the intensity and frequency of the static sound increase and decreases both with the my changing of the gain on my reciever as well as volume peaks through out the movie im watching.

So, am I clipping my Polks? If so, why is this clipping specific to HBO or Epix channels and not happening when I change to another station and increase the volume.

I appreaciate any help and insight you all may have. Thanks.
post #12734 of 39009 Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Your CS1 might be clipping, but unless you have it very loud, it's unlikely the 60's would... especially since it does not occur on other channels. You might try different surround decoder settings on your AVR. If the problem persists, it's more likely you'd get a better answer posting in an Onkyo thread.

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #12735 of 39009 Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 AM

Hi,

I was thinking of upgrading this. What would sound better: to match the R150 L/R with a CSR for center and have RM8 for surrounds or keep my RM8 center and R150 L/R and add RM8 surrounds?

Here's the setup:
Sony STR-DH510 receiver.
pair of Polk Audio R150 speakers for my L/R channels
Polk Audio RM8 center channel
post #12736 of 39009 Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runrabbitrun79 View Post

Hi,

I was thinking of upgrading this. What would sound better: to match the R150 L/R with a CSR for center and have RM8 for surrounds or keep my RM8 center and R150 L/R and add RM8 surrounds?

Here's the setup:
Sony STR-DH510 receiver.
pair of Polk Audio R150 speakers for my L/R channels
Polk Audio RM8 center channel

What's your budget?

Reason I ask is because my advice would be "none of the above".

At a minimum, I'd get a CS1 ($80 on NewEgg) (or better yet, a CS2) for the center, a pair of Monitor II 30's ($80/pair currently on NewEgg) for fronts, and move your R150 to surround duty.

Florida_Gator
post #12737 of 39009 Old 02-22-2012, 11:38 AM

Not sure of my budget for this yet. I'm happy with the way the setup performs so far and I'm happy with these speakers, but I was wondering what to do when I want to go 5.1 or 5.0.

I was also thinking of looking into the Blackstone series or complete the RM8 series. What's your opinion on those?
post #12738 of 39009 Old 02-22-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

Your CS1 might be clipping, but unless you have it very loud, it's unlikely the 60's would... especially since it does not occur on other channels. You might try different surround decoder settings on your AVR. If the problem persists, it's more likely you'd get a better answer posting in an Onkyo thread.

Thank You. I appreciate the response. Again, this clipping/static sound is happening at low to moderate volumes. I hear it, freak out, flip to a non-HBO Epix channel, and its perfectly fine.
post #12739 of 39009 Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runrabbitrun79 View Post

Not sure of my budget for this yet. I'm happy with the way the setup performs so far and I'm happy with these speakers, but I was wondering what to do when I want to go 5.1 or 5.0.

I was also thinking of looking into the Blackstone series or complete the RM8 series. What's your opinion on those?

Blackstones look nice, and specs look good... other than that, I have no feedback (never heard them, sorry).

Bang-for-buck, I'd suggest either CS1 or CS2 for center, Monitor II 30's or 40's for front L&R, your R150s for surrounds, and a Bic F12 sub. That would get you a very nice 5.1 system for about $350-400 (assuming you don't already have a sub). And all your speakers would match/blend much better than using the RM8s for part of your system. If you do this, I'd suggest using a crossover of 80hz.

If you're looking to save money, then just get a CS1 center, Bic F12 sub, keep the R150s for front L&R, and use RM8s for surrounds. Cost there would be about $270. If you do this, I'd suggest using a crossover of 100hz.

Florida_Gator
post #12740 of 39009 Old 02-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you sit relatively close my budget set up has fared quite well.

M50's for fronts
Blackstone TL2 center
M30's for rears
+ sub (your choice for budget)

I have my crossover set at 60 for left/right and 80 for everything else.. no issues with the TL2 being overpowered as our sitting position is 8-10 ft away and I bumped the channel level by 2db.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #12741 of 39009 Old 02-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Gator View Post

What should you do?

You should MOVE THE DAMN TV FROM ABOVE THE FIREPLACE. IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE.

I'd like to kill the first feng-shui A$$HAT that did this on whatever HGTV show they got on. There are MANY reasons that's a terrible place to put a TV, and you've just mentioned one of them.

Other than having issues with the center channel depth it's actually the perfect location for our TV. Never had an issue with neck pain or discompfort. Never had an issue with the TV due to heat etc (We use the FP maybe once a year), nor any other TV's we've had over other FP's. It's far ad away the best layout for that particular room.

Quote:

Or another ceiling speaker (the kind that angle towards the listener like: http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio/inceiling.php#rts ).

I don't see how a $2,500 speaker comes in under a $350 dollar budget, but ok, thanks for the link.

Anyway, it's not an ideal timber match, but Newegg dropped the price of the Klipsch WC-24 down to $229 and it just barely squeaks into my dimensions.
post #12742 of 39009 Old 02-24-2012, 11:32 AM

Has anyone here had experience with Polks Lci-RTS speakers, in particular, the Lci-RTS-C and Lci-RTS 105?

Thanks for any input you can offer,

Daniel

post #12743 of 39009 Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Anyway, it's not an ideal timber match, but Newegg dropped the price of the Klipsch WC-24 down to $229 and it just barely squeaks into my dimensions.

That's an understatement!

Might not matter though, given the other compromises you're dealing with.

Florida_Gator
post #12744 of 39009 Old 02-24-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:

That's an understatement!

Might not matter though, given the other compromises you're dealing with.

I've been putting up with built in tv speakers for the last decade. If it sounds even slightly better I'll be excited.
post #12745 of 39009 Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 PM

Liked: 14
Hello All,

I'm new to Polk Audio and I need help with my HT 5.1 setup. Room is 14x10 with open space to kitchen. I do mainly movies and music. I don't need to shake the house but listen to movies dialogs and enjoy the music.

I think there are some promotions on newegg with monitor series. I appreciate the quick response

Which PA series I should look for?

Are polk audio comparable to energy speakers? Which is best PA or energy?

Thanks for the help!!
post #12746 of 39009 Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHT View Post

Hello All,

I'm new to Polk Audio and I need help with my HT 5.1 setup. Room is 14x10 with open space to kitchen. I do mainly movies and music. I don't need to shake the house but listen to movies dialogs and enjoy the music.

I think there are some promotions on newegg with monitor series. I appreciate the quick response

Which PA series I should look for?

Are polk audio comparable to energy speakers? Which is best PA or energy?

Thanks for the help!!

Best is subjective.

The monitor series or TSi series are excellent bang for the buck speakers...both are almost identical with the TSi's being newer replacements for the monitors. Sound quality is virtually identical. The RTI A series is lots better. What is your budget?

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #12747 of 39009 Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

Best is subjective.

The monitor series or TSi series are excellent bang for the buck speakers...both are almost identical with the TSi's being newer replacements for the monitors. Sound quality is virtually identical. The RTI A series is lots better. What is your budget?

Budget is around $400-500.

so which is better in sound, clarity? PA or energy?

Thanks
post #12748 of 39009 Old 02-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHT View Post

Budget is around $400-500.

so which is better in sound, clarity? PA or energy?

Thanks

Ordered this on newegg..Feedback on below setup?

Monitor40 series II for front
Monitor30 Series II for Surround
CS2 Series II
PSW10
Total: $429

These will be paired with STR-DN1000 Sony recv. which I already have.

I think I made bad choice on sub. I was looking for PSW12 and it was unavailable on newegg.
post #12749 of 39009 Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 AM

I am interested in getting a set of Polk audio speakers for a 7.1 system. Unfortunately Newegg USA refuses to sell to anyone with a Canadian stamp in his passport, so I have to look at other merchandisers. I have found some on Amazon but the one with the better deals and having everything I want in stock is, according to Polk's website, not an authorized dealer. Are there really Polk Audio knock offs out there and would a company like Amazon be part of a distribution system selling knock off's.

Epson 8500UB (R); Elite Electric100 16:9; Yamaha RX-V671; Polk Monitor 60 x 2, Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 30 x 4
post #12750 of 39009 Old 02-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamKat View Post

I am interested in getting a set of Polk audio speakers for a 7.1 system. Unfortunately Newegg USA refuses to sell to anyone with a Canadian stamp in his passport, so I have to look at other merchandisers. I have found some on Amazon but the one with the better deals and having everything I want in stock is, according to Polk's website, not an authorized dealer. Are there really Polk Audio knock offs out there and would a company like Amazon be part of a distribution system selling knock off's.

Are you close to a border? Ship to ups stores close by.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page