Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

Pold LSi's all around.
LSi 15's
LSi Center
LSi FX's
PSW 1000

Driven by a Onkyo 805. Is it safe to run this thing at 4 ohms since that is the recommended setting for the speakers?

They are 4 ohm nominal speakers and a load for any AVR to drive. The 805 is supposed to be 4 ohm stable. Whether it can handle your setup without choking only you can answer. If you are asking about a setting on the AVR, switchable from 8 ohms to 4 ohms...I'd leave it in 8 ohm mode. Those switches actually limit current to protect the AVR, but your speakers need all that current. Personally, I'd at least get a 2 channel amp on the 15s, they'll improve and it will take a ton of burden off the AVR, YMMV.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 39009 Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLoki View Post

What polk center did you get? (should have been CSi3 or CSi5)

What surrounds are you running?

How do you have your Subwoofer hooked up? (RCA cable to LFE in on Sub or speaker wire from avr to sub to front speakers)

How are they set up in your room? (against wall, in a cabinet, one against a wall, the other in the middle of the room, etc.)

What sounds wrong about your setup?

Michael

First, thank you Mike for responding!!

Second... i have a CSi5 Center.

i'm not running surrounds right now but will later so its all front at the moment.

I first started with an RCA cable running from a sub out jack to LFE in on sub. nothing. then i moved it to a mono center out based on the owners manual and.. nothing. green light on sub no sound.

My RTi10's are in the corners left and right of TV pointing in to center of room. the center is below the plasma TV and the sub is to the left of TV on floor. all are about 4 inches from walls.

the problem is most of the sound is coming from the center because its probably the only one hooked up right and the mains have little sound and its kinda crackly under water when i put my ear to them. if i play with the different 'effects' i can get better sound to the mains but nothing out of the center. My mains have the jumper still on, one cable running to red/black A and the other red/blk B but nothing on the other speaker plugs. my volume has to be turned up half way to get decent sound and the db # goes into negative the higher the volume.

is my connections right but my set-up in the receiver wrong?

Do you have the yamaha RX-V1 or does it matter to understand this?

help please.
post #1503 of 39009 Old 12-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

WOW...i thought the price Frys had on the LSi15's 2 weeks ago was good...i went into the Frys in San Marcos tonight and they have the LSi15's on sale for $421 bucks each! you can also get them on their site as well...sadly the center remains the same price as well as the surrounds...but $421 for the LSi15's is outstanding! needless to say i picked up a pair along with the Onkyo 805...mmmmm...$1559 out the door for everything...is this what heaven feels like? lol
post #1504 of 39009 Old 12-07-2007, 07:04 AM

Sorry if this has been answered before, but does any know if the new CSi A4 center channel is timbre-matched (or close enough) for use with the RTi8's as LR? I know that technically the CSi3 is recommended.
post #1505 of 39009 Old 12-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

This post just came up at Polk Audio:

Hi Polk Guy's

I wanted you Guy's to be the first to know about our new web presence. We opened a Polk Audio store today on Ebay.

http://stores.*********/Polk-Audio-Direct

You'll have to replace all the *s with ebay dot com, of course (please use a dot, not the word, and remove the spaces!). It is apparently legitimate. The e-Bay member name is "polkdirect".

No feedback yet, obviously, and no screaming deals either as far as I can see, but still, this could be great news in the near future!

Here's a link to the entire Polk Club forum post, but I'm not sure how you can view it as a guest:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...32&postcount=1

Edit: Confirmed as legitimate and given "sticky" status by the "web manipulator" of Club Polk.
post #1506 of 39009 Old 12-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdOut View Post

A noob here: Amp to the sub, I understand. But, why does the wire have to go from the sub to the front speakers? Is that the standard practice? I just installed a pair of Rti8's in place of onkyos' in a ht setup and did not wire from sub to front speakers. Should I?

Just another way of hooking up a subwoofer. (You would hook it up one way or the other, not both)

I prefer the single cable to LFE in on the sub and subwoofer out on the AVR, but there are instances where the other method would work better. (usually with older equipment or small speakers not able to hit 100hz on there own.)

Michael
post #1507 of 39009 Old 12-07-2007, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4au View Post

First, thank you Mike for responding!!

Second... i have a CSi5 Center.

i'm not running surrounds right now but will later so its all front at the moment.

I first started with an RCA cable running from a sub out jack to LFE in on sub. nothing. then i moved it to a mono center out based on the owners manual and.. nothing. green light on sub no sound.

My RTi10's are in the corners left and right of TV pointing in to center of room. the center is below the plasma TV and the sub is to the left of TV on floor. all are about 4 inches from walls.

the problem is most of the sound is coming from the center because its probably the only one hooked up right and the mains have little sound and its kinda crackly under water when i put my ear to them. if i play with the different 'effects' i can get better sound to the mains but nothing out of the center. My mains have the jumper still on, one cable running to red/black A and the other red/blk B but nothing on the other speaker plugs. my volume has to be turned up half way to get decent sound and the db # goes into negative the higher the volume.

is my connections right but my set-up in the receiver wrong?

Do you have the yamaha RX-V1 or does it matter to understand this?

help please.

I do not have the Yamaha reciever but it should make no difference. (menu options should be the same, but maybe labled a little differently.)

Lets start with Physical connections.....
  • You have a DVD player that is hooked up to your AVR with one of the following cables - Optical, Digital Coax (looks like a single RCA cable) or HDMi correct?
  • You subwoofer is hooked up from LFE out (or subwoofer out) on the AVR to the LFE in (or subwoofer in) on your subwoofer with an RCA cable. On your subwoofer, the green power light is on. You have the crossover turned all the way up and the volume turned up 1/2 way on the back of the subwoofer.
  • Your center channel speaker is hooked up to the center output on your AVR via speaker cable. If the CSi5 is bi-wireable, you have the brass jumpers in place between the red/red and black/black posts on the back of the speaker. Your speakers are in phase. (red on the AVr is hooked to red on the center channel, and black to black). The wire nuts (that you tighten on the speaker wire) are screwed down finger tight. You are ABSOLUTELY SURE that not even one strand of speaker wire under the red cap is touching anything on the black cap and vice versa)
  • Your right and left channels are hooked up to MAIN right and left respectively on the back of your AVR. Double check everything else I wrote for the center channel for each of the right and left channels.

ok - In the AVR setup.....
  • You have front speakers set to small, center set to small, sub to on, surround to off (or none) and rear (or back) surround to off (or none).
  • The crossover for your subwoofer is set to 80hz for your front and center channels. (you can experiment with 60 once we get sound working)

Now the questions:
  • If you run through the test tones built into your AVR, do you get sound from each speaker?
  • If you play the radio built into your AVR and play with the surround modes to select something like 7 channel stereo or some such thing, do you get sound from all speakers?
  • When you play a DVD, what sound processing does your AVR display (dolby digital, dolby pro-logic, stereo, etc.)

Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out....

Edit - did some looking at the RX-V1 and apparently the front channels are called "main" and the channels labled "front" on AVR are actually yamaha front effects channels. That may be part of your problem.....
post #1508 of 39009 Old 12-07-2007, 06:35 PM

How would these compare to my Onkyo HTIB speakers?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-...oductDetail.do
post #1509 of 39009 Old 12-07-2007, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Night and day difference.
post #1510 of 39009 Old 12-07-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiciliaYItalia View Post

How would these compare to my Onkyo HTIB speakers?

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk-...oductDetail.do

They would blow them away. In all fairness though, almost any real speaker (especially a tower speaker) will sound much better than almost any HTiB speaker.

You pay a cost for a small speaker and it is almost always in sound quality. In almost any room large enough for a TV and a chair, you will get a much more satisfying home theater experience with speakers at least the size of your head (or larger) rather than your hand. (Bigger drivers, more exursion (cones go further in and out), better bass and often less cabinet coloration to the sound (due to the nature of a braced wood cabinet VS plastic in stopping vibration and sound transmission).

With all that being said, the RTi line is the real value leader in the Polk line right now due to closeout pricing.

Michael
post #1511 of 39009 Old 12-07-2007, 06:48 PM

Ok, and Circuit City has a 30 day return policy in case I dont think it is worth it, correct?
post #1512 of 39009 Old 12-07-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiciliaYItalia View Post

Ok, and Circuit City has a 30 day return policy in case I dont think it is worth it, correct?

I would recommend a phone call to your local Circuit City to verify that...
post #1513 of 39009 Old 12-08-2007, 09:54 PM

frys in phoenix has the RTi12 for 350 each till monday. got me 2 of them in black today.

cant wait to hook em up after i get back from my business trip.

by the way i'm new here but going with an all polk setup

2 RTi12 fronts -have
1 CSi5 center
2 TC615i in-wall rears (due to space) -have
onkyo 805 receiver
post #1514 of 39009 Old 12-09-2007, 01:59 PM

Hi guys,

I’ve got a pair of Rti150’s in front and have repeatedly read that they love power. I’m running an Denon AVR-985 (silver version of the AVR-2805) and wonder if I should bi-amp the 150’s. Will my Denon do that? If so, does the “distance” parameter affect my ability to do this? IOW, I’ve got my fronts at 12 ft. from the listening position. Are they time aligned somehow by this parameter? If so, would I have to have the surround back amps set at the same distance parameter???

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
post #1515 of 39009 Old 12-09-2007, 06:53 PM

Hi Guys,

My first post.

I am about to buy my first HT system after living a long time with a Kenwood HTIB

Here is what I have in mind
Front 2xRTi8
Center CSi5
Surround RTi4
Sub one of eD A2-300 / HSU STF-2/ Bic H-100
I will be driving these with an Onkyo SR605

Two questions:
1. Any recommendation for the best sub to go with the speaker set
2. I could not find the CSi5 anywhere other than Amazon. Do you have any ideas where I can get my hands on one?
post #1516 of 39009 Old 12-09-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26kick View Post

Hi guys,

I've got a pair of Rti150's in front and have repeatedly read that they love power. I'm running an Denon AVR-985 (silver version of the AVR-2805) and wonder if I should bi-amp the 150's. Will my Denon do that? If so, does the distance parameter affect my ability to do this? IOW, I've got my fronts at 12 ft. from the listening position. Are they time aligned somehow by this parameter? If so, would I have to have the surround back amps set at the same distance parameter???

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

You couldn't bi-amp the R150s even if you wanted to since they only have a single pair of posts on the back.

I dunno who told you that the R150s "love power." It doesn't take much to power them.
post #1517 of 39009 Old 12-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip5021 View Post

Hi Guys,

My first post.

I am about to buy my first HT system after living a long time with a Kenwood HTIB

Here is what I have in mind
Front 2xRTi8
Center CSi5
Surround RTi4
Sub one of eD A2-300 / HSU STF-2/ Bic H-100
I will be driving these with an Onkyo SR605

Two questions:
1. Any recommendation for the best sub to go with the speaker set
2. I could not find the CSi5 anywhere other than Amazon. Do you have any ideas where I can get my hands on one?

I have the RTi8's, CSi5, FSi3's, eD A2-300 and couldn't be happier. I got the CSi5 2 months ago from frys.com and they beat amazon by $60.
post #1518 of 39009 Old 12-09-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo3660 View Post

I have the RTi8's, CSi5, FSi3's, eD A2-300 and couldn't be happier. I got the CSi5 2 months ago from frys.com and they beat amazon by $60.

No such luck. Just ran a search on Frys with no result. Same for the Fxi3's. Only available in white. Looks like they are being phased out.
post #1519 of 39009 Old 12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No such luck. Just ran a search on Frys with no result. Same for the Fxi3's. Only available in white. Looks like they are being phased out.

Two months ago I got my RTi8's from J&R, CSi5 from Fry's, FXi3's from Crutchfield and Onkyo 705 from theEwarehouse (eBay). As you can see I'm anal about shopping for the best price.
post #1520 of 39009 Old 12-09-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbo3660 View Post

Two months ago I got my RTi8's from J&R, CSi5 from Fry's, FXi3's from Crutchfield and Onkyo 705 from theEwarehouse (eBay). As you can see I'm anal about shopping for the best price.

I may have to do something similar but from a different reason.
Rti8's from J&R CSi5 & FXi's from Crutchfield and Onkyo from B&H (or have CC match it).

Luckily I live in NY so I can just drop by B&H and J&R.
post #1521 of 39009 Old 12-09-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

You couldn't bi-amp the R150s even if you wanted to since they only have a single pair of posts on the back.

I dunno who told you that the R150s "love power." It doesn't take much to power them.

He's talking about the RTi150's from a few years back. That was Polk's flagship RTi speaker. They are biampable and they do, in fact, "love power".

26kick, I don't know if your Denon has a biamp option. Check the manual. Even if it does, you'll notice a bigger difference if you go with a seperate amplifier instead of biamping with the receiver's internal amps. Check out NAD, Outlaw, Adcom... Also, go with used. Amps don't seem to progress technology-wise as most other gear does. For the RTi150's, look at something with around 200-300 watts. This kind of power will make your Polks sing and provide headroom that the Denon could only dream of.
post #1522 of 39009 Old 12-09-2007, 10:47 PM

Anyone help me round out my living room system?

I have the option rounding out a rt15 and cs175 set up with another pair of rt15s or completing a cs 250s and rt3 set up with a pair of rt5s. Which would you choose? They will be in a second system in my living room powered by a Yamaha A-1. I'm leaning towards the RT5s but I know they are older than the rt15s so I'm kinda of unsure.

Thanks!

Brad
post #1523 of 39009 Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

RTi 150s were the previous rev's top of the line...think RTi12 or A9...yes they need some juice. You can try bi-amping from a receiver, but I doubt if you'll see much benefit. Find a receiver with pre-outs and get an amp. CSi40 is the match.

oops: mskeezer beat me to it...

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1524 of 39009 Old 12-10-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

My bad. I could have sworn his post said R150.
post #1525 of 39009 Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 PM

I've got a silly question, but I'm kind of nervous about making sure I can get my setup running on Christmas day. I'm getting two rti8's from FRY's at a great price. Can I use just banana plugs to connect the speakers and receiver? If so, do I even need to?

Also, what would the optimum wattage be for the rti8's?
post #1526 of 39009 Old 12-10-2007, 01:02 PM

First, I ran a search on this thread and nothing showed up as to the LCi-RTS105 in-wall. By any chance has anyone had any experience with this speaker. Granted the designed purpose for this speaker is as a main but mine will be used as side surrounds (rears are dipole). Any opinions on this speaker as SS (yea or nay) would be appreciated. BTW, I have demoed the LCi series (RTS's little brother) and they sounded very good.

"Unless you continually work, evolve and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has"
post #1527 of 39009 Old 12-10-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsdoc View Post

if i were to pick up a pair of RTi8's as fronts & were to pair them w/ a pair of RTi6's (for mostly home theatre use); what would you guys recommend as the next step?

1) a subwoofer
2) matched center

i'm guessing most will recommend a subwoofer, & if so, which ones would you recommend? thanks.

(My receiver is an Onkyo SR605)

so i was going to order a pair of RTi8's from frys & i was planning to pick up a used pair of RTi6's at a great price, unfortunately the deal for the RTi6's fell through so i'm back to square one

at this point i can get the RTi8's for about $160 more than the RTi6's (the RTi8's are sold out at frys)

which pair would you go w/? the RTi6's probably work better for me, both budget-wise & space-wise but i'm wondering if the RTi8's are too good to pass on?

also, how are you guys still getting the RTi8's from frys? they were out of stock last wed when i called, i called today to confirm & they still don't have any available for sale.
post #1528 of 39009 Old 12-10-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twg519 View Post

I've got a silly question, but I'm kind of nervous about making sure I can get my setup running on Christmas day. I'm getting two rti8's from FRY's at a great price. Can I use just banana plugs to connect the speakers and receiver? If so, do I even need to?

Also, what would the optimum wattage be for the rti8's?

Banana plugs aren't necessary. They just make plugging things in easier.

All you need is plain ol 14 gauge speaker wire.
post #1529 of 39009 Old 12-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Budget is getting tight. Would you rather go with

RTi8 + CSi3 + RTi4 + HSU STF-2
Or
RTi6 + CSi5 + RTi4 + HSU STF-2
Or
RTi8 + CSi5 + RTi4 + HSU STF-1

They all end up at the same price point.

Will a BIC H-100 be a better choice than the STF-1 ?
post #1530 of 39009 Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Budget is getting tight. Would you rather go with

RTi8 + CSi3 + RTi4 + HSU STF-2
Or
RTi6 + CSi5 + RTi4 + HSU STF-2
Or
RTi8 + CSi5 + RTi4 + HSU STF-1

They all end up at the same price point.

Will a BIC H-100 be a better choice than the STF-1 ?

You should take into consideration stands for the 6s. I'd go 1/ or 3/ for that reason. The Bic will extend a bit more, but the Hsu's the better sub.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page