Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainman31 View Post

Does anyboby know where I can find a CSI 5 for a good price? Every place I checked was sold out.

It's been discontinued, replaced by the new CSi A6. I ordered from Amazon a couple weeks ago, but seems to be sold out now. If you have a Fry's nearby, call and see if they have any stock left.

There is one for sale on e bay right now, also available at hifitrader dot com. But of course, these aren't authorized resellers so you won't have the 5 year warranty. The A6 can be had for $400. If that's out of your budget, your best bet might be to buy the CSi3 for $150, or even a CSi25 ($89 shipped from Polk's ebay store), wait for a deal on the A6, then sell the 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:

How good was the price at frys on the fx's I'm also intrested.

My local Fry's in Indy has a pair of FXi3's for only $200... unfortunately they are white and I was looking for black.
post #1953 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 AM

Thank ya'll, great information.
post #1954 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 11:43 AM

So I called Frys to see if they have any FXI5's and they tell me they have 3 sets. So I rush up there and there is a guy buying a set wrapped in shrink wrap. I'm not sweating it because they have 2 more sets. So they go check in the stock area and nothing no FXI3's either. So they checked all the stores in the area and nothing. You gotta hate it when you go to buy something and there is a guy buying the exact thing you want when you get there. I want to run 4 of the FXI5's for my surround , but I guess I'm out of luck.
post #1955 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinipux77 View Post

Ron, can you believe the prices people are paying for RTi's? I thought $150 off retail on the set rti6, csi3 and fxi3s I got exactly 2 years ago was stealing

- Val

The feeding frenzy when a line changes creates short term opportunity for real savings. When the RTi stock is gone, look for the A series and used RTi value to rise back up again.

One nice thing about Polks is there's quite a bit of used inventory available on ebay and local craigslist. If some of you can't score a 5 now, you should be able to find one at a decent price over the next few months on the used market if you have to settle for less now. Also, I wouldn't pair RTis with the CSi25. It's a misleading model number. It was originally released in Europe to match the R series, then brought back to the US, then changed to the CSR. Pickup a CSi3, it's a timbre match and a nice center.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #1956 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, I have an Onkyo 605 on the way and I want to upgrade my speaker system. I have a pair of bookshelf M10's that I will use as rears and was wondering what center and fronts I could use to match up. I want to keep the fronts bookshelf size and I am looking for entry level. Thanks for any help!

"You went full ******, man. Never go full ******."
om [NOM] nom
post #1957 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 12:21 PM

I was thinking of getting the A7's instead of the rti10 but went a head and ordered the 10's after I saw fry's website went down another $50 on them. About $480 for the pair with shipping and tax, hard to pass up. If you order each separately you save about $60 on the shipping cost. Ordered just in time because the next day they were sold out.

Should be here Wednesday, will be a nice upgrade from the monitor 40's I currently have.
post #1958 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple View Post

The feeding frenzy when a line changes creates short term opportunity for real savings. When the RTi stock is gone, look for the A series and used RTi value to rise back up again.

One nice thing about Polks is there's quite a bit of used inventory available on ebay and local craigslist. If some of you can't score a 5 now, you should be able to find one at a decent price over the next few months on the used market if you have to settle for less now. Also, I wouldn't pair RTis with the CSi25. It's a misleading model number. It was originally released in Europe to match the R series, then brought back to the US, then changed to the CSR. Pickup a CSi3, it's a timbre match and a nice center.

I'm glad I didn't know about the line change price drops a year or so ago, I would have something other than the RTi12s I got on the cheap at Fry's a few weeks ago.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #1959 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhering View Post

It's been discontinued, replaced by the new CSi A6. I ordered from Amazon a couple weeks ago, but seems to be sold out now. If you have a Fry's nearby, call and see if they have any stock left.

There is one for sale on e bay right now, also available at hifitrader dot com. But of course, these aren't authorized resellers so you won't have the 5 year warranty. The A6 can be had for $400. If that's out of your budget, your best bet might be to buy the CSi3 for $150, or even a CSi25 ($89 shipped from Polk's ebay store), wait for a deal on the A6, then sell the 3.

Did you get a good deal through Amazon for your csi 5 when they were in stock?
I checked with frys but they were out as well, Most of the discontinued models at frys are all sold out.
post #1960 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I'm glad I didn't know about the line change price drops a year or so ago, I would have something other than the RTi12s I got on the cheap at Fry's a few weeks ago.

I second that, $299 each is a steal for a set of speakers that retails for $1700.
and a free sub.
post #1961 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raull1 View Post

hey kreepy (nice nickname) .. do yourself a favor and go for the cherry rti8's if you do get them. I received my pair today from fry's and the veneer of the wood is a dark awesome cherry, I thought It was going to be lighter but it's dark like the new rtiA's, looks 2x as expensive as it was

Nobody here cares about speakers (my house) and they all remarked on how nice they looked.

Would someone with the any polk speaker in cherry mind posting a pic? Just curious of how dark it really is. Thanks.
post #1962 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 06:29 PM

I couldn't take it anymore. I broke down and ordered the RTIi8's last night from Fry's for my second room theater. Already have the 10s in my primary - but $149 each was too good to pass up. Then I went to crutchfield and ordered the csi3 to pair with the 8s. My wife's going to kill me!

If you have to tell people how good you are, you're not as good as you think.
post #1963 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Did you get a good deal through Amazon for your csi 5 when they were in stock?
I checked with frys but they were out as well, Most of the discontinued models at frys are all sold out.

The CSi5 was $305 at Amazon with free shipping.
post #1964 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 07:52 PM

Just recently purchased 2 rti10s and a csi3 from frys and got the free sub, then I purchased a pair of fxi a4s. I wondering will my onkyo 805 work with this combo for my home theater/music listening.
post #1965 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 08:13 PM

Anybody own the Polk CSR center channel? If you do how is it?

Edit: Also does anybody use Banana Plugs on the Polk R50? I was wondering if it was possible, it looks like there's some sort of cap there so I'm not sure if you can use banana plugs or not.
post #1966 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 08:30 PM

Just ordered two RTi10s, Two RTi4s and a CSi3 in Cherry (I wanted a CSi5 but I just cant find a way to do it with my setup - space is an issue and that 4 inches extra is too much for me). I already have a SW to help with the lows, and I bought from three places to save the most money - so I didnt get a free Sub. (Did the RTi10s as seperate orders for $17 shipping each). Saved a decent bit with no tax either.

I'm going from a 12 year old JBL Simply Cinema to these, so Im expecting I'll really enjoy things much more - especially music. I've always liked the sound of these, and demoed them two weeks ago to see if they sounded good to me.

Not sure what I am going to do right now - Curious if I should even worry about the extra two channels or just focus on getting these 5 in and bi-amping the fronts since its an option for me.

In all seriousness, how much am I missing by staying 5.1. I can do 7.1 but not sure how much of a difference it will be. Any suggestions on how much Im missing? Obviously I can change down the road if needed.
post #1967 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottso View Post

Would someone with the any polk speaker in cherry mind posting a pic? Just curious of how dark it really is. Thanks.

Not sure how acurate your montior is, but they are pretty close to the polk website in color. Not dark like my cherry bedroom set. They are almost a red oak IMO
post #1968 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Hello all...

I just assembled my Bush 2-shelf TV stand, and now realize that my CsiA6 Center doesn't quite fit unhindered into the top shelf (directly under the TV) It fits in the shelf, but there is an overhang of the unit's framework that would block maybe 1/4 inch of the A6.

Which is a better solution - Moving the A6 down to the bottom shelf (maybe with a slight shim or lift of some kind to aim it back to listener's height), or leaving it on the higher shelf with a slight blockage?

I'm leaning towards leaving it on the upper shelf, but I'd appreciate any advice.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

CycloneMBA
post #1969 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 09:03 PM

So has anyone been able to get the RTi8s for $150 each from Fry's in store? That would save me almost $70 in shipping.
post #1970 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycloneMBA View Post

Hello all...

I just assembled my Bush 2-shelf TV stand, and now realize that my CsiA6 Center doesn't quite fit unhindered into the top shelf (directly under the TV) It fits in the shelf, but there is an overhang of the unit's framework that would block maybe 1/4 inch of the A6.

Which is a better solution - Moving the A6 down to the bottom shelf (maybe with a slight shim or lift of some kind to aim it back to listener's height), or leaving it on the higher shelf with a slight blockage?

I'm leaning towards leaving it on the upper shelf, but I'd appreciate any advice.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

CycloneMBA

What about getting a center speaker stand for it?
post #1971 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM

what onkyo receiver would be best to run the Rti10 ?

i am considering the 605
post #1972 of 39009 Old 01-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezzy View Post

I'd get an HSU or H-100. I wouldn't buy a Polk sub..

Well, I went to Frys today..checked out the subs....DSW sounds a lot better than PSW505/125....but than again, never heard Hsu/eD/SVS subs before.....

Yeah, than, prob go for a Hsu or BIC H-100...now for 30% music / 70% movies, should I go with BIC H-100 (budget is $>300), Hsu STF1, or STF2?...(And is VTF1 really a huge step up from here?)...

Home Audio: Polk Audio LSi15 - Onkyo TX-SR805 - purchasing Emotiva XPA-3 Amp/Cadence 15" Sub

PC Audio: Energy RC-10 - Onkyo Integrated Amp
post #1973 of 39009 Old 01-14-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nozerider View Post

So has anyone been able to get the RTi8s for $150 each from Fry's in store? That would save me almost $70 in shipping.

If you place 2 separate orders from frys.com, you can save a little on shipping.
post #1974 of 39009 Old 01-14-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJunky View Post

If you place 2 separate orders from frys.com, you can save a little on shipping.

Damn - wish I was smart enough to realize that!

If you have to tell people how good you are, you're not as good as you think.
post #1975 of 39009 Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Wouldnt it be better to use a rti-8 , rti10 or rti12 as a center channel ( depending on which mains you have ) ...as oppsoed to a csi3 or csi5 ?

If I get some rti12's , Im thinking about getting a single rti12 as a center and laying it on its side, right underneath my projection screen .. Of course, I would raise the 12 off of the ground on some kind of stand and laying on its side as mentioned.

Why wouldnt a perfectly matched speaker be better then a typical center ??
post #1976 of 39009 Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal View Post

... does anybody use Banana Plugs on the Polk R50? I was wondering if it was possible, it looks like there's some sort of cap there so I'm not sure if you can use banana plugs or not.

Yes, banana plugs work well with R50 (R30 and R15 as well). Just pop off the little plastic protector plug by inserting a sharp edge (knife, etc) between it and the top of the banana jack. Then unscrew the outside of the jack housing to extend it all the way out (it has a fixed stop so won't come completely off) and plug in the banana plug. Extending it out provides lateral support for the plug body. Good design IMO.
post #1977 of 39009 Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsterut View Post

Yes, banana plugs work well with R50 (R30 and R15 as well). Just pop off the little plastic protector plug by inserting a sharp edge (knife, etc) between it and the top of the banana jack. Then unscrew the outside of the jack housing to extend it all the way out (it has a fixed stop so won't come completely off) and plug in the banana plug. Extending it out provides lateral support for the plug body. Good design IMO.

Thank You, now does anybody use the Polk CSR for center channel?
post #1978 of 39009 Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycloneMBA View Post

Hello all...

Thoughts?

Thanks,

CycloneMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal View Post

What about getting a center speaker stand for it?

Don't know what type of TV you're using, but if it's a rear-projection or CRT, I'm using one of Omnimount CCH1, the black version, from Amazon.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #1979 of 39009 Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny View Post

Wouldnt it be better to use a rti-8 , rti10 or rti12 as a center channel ( depending on which mains you have ) ...as oppsoed to a csi3 or csi5 ?

If I get some rti12's , Im thinking about getting a single rti12 as a center and laying it on its side, right underneath my projection screen .. Of course, I would raise the 12 off of the ground on some kind of stand and laying on its side as mentioned.

Why wouldnt a perfectly matched speaker be better then a typical center ??

RTi12 tower speakers are "polarized" in the vertical. On its side, the tweeter/mid would be off-center, which was the reason for making center-channel speakers in the first place. It would work for towers and/or bookshelf speakers that have the tweeter/midrange co-axial and/or centered on the long axis.

post #1980 of 39009 Old 01-14-2008, 09:58 AM

Hey guys, I guess this is the best place to post my question....

I am looking for a polk center to match the 50's I just got. I'm thinking CSI25 or 30 but I'm also seeing C1, M series and other higher end models. I don't see that much difference in specs for some of them, so am wondering what would match the 50's. One thing I like is that a couple of the models are flat on top (not angled in back) which lets me put stuff on them. Also should I go for 4RTi's for rears, or the 150's since they're made to go with the 50's? I'm also trying to do cherry to match the 50's and am realizing there are some models not made or available in cherryl!! (i.e. 150's!)

Looking at Onkyo 605 for receiver, it is important that it has some HDMI and future compatibility with a little extra wattage in case I upgrade some speakers sometime.
Thank you!
lowella
Reply Speakers

Tags
Polk Audio , Polk Audio Rti8 High Output Floorstanding Loudspeaker Single Black , Polk Audio Rti4 High Performance Bookshelf On Wall Speakers , Polk Audio Csi5 High Performance Center Channel Speaker , Polk Audio Rti6 High Performance Bookshelf Speakers Pair Black , Polk Audio Three Way Vanishing Rt Series In Ceiling Speaker 70 Rt , Polk Audio Monitor70 Series Ii Floorstanding Loudspeaker , Polk Audio Monitor 30 Bookshelf Speakers Cherry , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs1 Center Channel Speaker Single Cherry , Polk Psw108 10 100w Psw Series Powered Subwoofer , Polk Audio R50 Floorstanding Speakers Each , Polk Audio Surroundbar 4000 Iht Virtual Surround Speaker Bar With Wireless Su
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page