AVS Forum banner
3M views 46K replies 3K participants last post by  LouM5 
#1 ·
I just felt it was about time we had an official polk speaker thread , being that according to the speaker brand poll , we have quite a few polkies in here. This might be a good place to discuss tweaks , problems or experiences with your speakers. I for one own a pair of Rti 8s which im very thrilled with and just recently upgraded my center speaker to the almighty csi 5 which has turned out to live up to the hype. The weak link in my set up is my Boston acoustic subwoofer which really isnt that bad but I could do better. The sub is positioned right next to my throne (sweat spot) ,a position I found to sound the best(at this location it also doubles as a poor man's butt kicker
). Anyhoo , it will be nice to hear from other polkies out there....

See less See more
#42,581 ·
I'm very happy, just picked up a pair of LSIM-703's from two different Amazon sellers, who both apparently only had one.

Got one for $400, and one for $425. Pays to be observant! Now I just need F/x's, 705's or 707's, and a 706c.
Adorama, who is an authorized online Polk vendor, is running some sales on LSiM bundles right now and the pricing is essentially 50% off. If you can cancel your Amazon orders, it may save you some money and get you more of what you want. They appear to have one bundle that includes a 706c & two 703s and another bundle that includes the 706c, two 703s and two 707s. Some of the bundles appear to only be available in one color or the other, which might influence your decision.

You can find more info on slickdeals.net.

#42,582 ·
Adorama, who is an authorized online Polk vendor, is running some sales on LSiM bundles right now and the pricing is essentially 50% off. If you can cancel your Amazon orders, it may save you some money and get you more of what you want. They appear to have one bundle that includes a 706c & two 703s and another bundle that includes the 706c, two 703s and two 707s. Some of the bundles appear to only be available in one color or the other, which might influence your decision.

You can find more info on slickdeals.net.

Well, I called and they said the deal is going on "for the foreseeable future". Which to me means new models are coming out.
So payday I'll pick up the deal with the two 707's, 703's and 706 center. Then I just need the surrounds and I'll be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#42,583 ·
It's certainly possible they are coming out with something new. As far as I can tell, you can't even order 703s via Polk's site right now. I ordered a 706 and a couple of 703s from Adorama during the last Friends & Family sale. The 703s were backordered for a few months, but finally showed up a few weeks ago. They are still showing as unavailable on Polk's site, which seems a bit odd to me. I called Polk once while waiting for the 703s from Adorama to arrive and that person indicated they were awaiting a shipment of 400+ 703s.

#42,584 ·
Well, I called and they said the deal is going on "for the foreseeable future". Which to me means new models are coming out.
So payday I'll pick up the deal with the two 707's, 703's and 706 center. Then I just need the surrounds and I'll be happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont know about that one honestly, they went over 10+ years with the LSi series before redoing the speaker.

If I had to hazard a guess as to why its that they noticed at that slashed price point they are moving a LOT more product, so while their profit margin may be smaller, the quantity they are selling is enough to offset it at least for now, and keep everything profitable enough for them to stomach. They also may have figured out a way to lower the price of the enclosure which given the curves and finish is I'm sure not super cheap.

The line I look for to be refreshed soon is the RTi A line as it hasn't had a upgrade to the line for quite a bit.

I'd say the RTi A line refresh and they release some new in-ceiling and in-wall options for Atmos and the newer audio formats. They currently have speakers you could USE in those scenarios, but not meant for JUST that.

Maybe the RTI with a flat top for upward firing ATMOS add on speakers like Def-Tech and Pioneer did....

Reactions: Aarghon
#42,585 ·
+1. I would expect a refresh on RTi A series but not on LSiM. If I recall the LSiM series was introduced back in 2011 and 5 years life cycle is not common for Polk Audio speakers. The RTiA was introduced back in 2007 so that's most probably the series that could get a refresh this year or next year. Also the fact that Definitive Technologies has an Atmos speaker already and due that Definitive Technologies and Polk Audio are the same company, it make sense for Polk Audio to launch a new RTi - Atmos compatible speaker series. Also note that that bundle offered by Adorama if only available at Adorama and only as a bundle. There is no discount for single or pair of speakers.

#42,586 ·
I dont know about that one honestly, they went over 10+ years with the LSi series before redoing the speaker.

If I had to hazard a guess as to why its that they noticed at that slashed price point they are moving a LOT more product, so while their profit margin may be smaller, the quantity they are selling is enough to offset it at least for now, and keep everything profitable enough for them to stomach. They also may have figured out a way to lower the price of the enclosure which given the curves and finish is I'm sure not super cheap.

The line I look for to be refreshed soon is the RTi A line as it hasn't had a upgrade to the line for quite a bit.

I'd say the RTi A line refresh and they release some new in-ceiling and in-wall options for Atmos and the newer audio formats. They currently have speakers you could USE in those scenarios, but not meant for JUST that.

Maybe the RTI with a flat top for upward firing ATMOS add on speakers like Def-Tech and Pioneer did....
I have this feeling that Polk is moving out of the dealer model, and this price point sales product while the high margin product is now the soundbar and bluetooth wireless thingers.

#42,587 ·
+1. I would expect a refresh on RTi A series but not on LSiM. If I recall the LSiM series was introduced back in 2011 and 5 years life cycle is not common for Polk Audio speakers. The RTiA was introduced back in 2007 so that's most probably the series that could get a refresh this year or next year. Also the fact that Definitive Technologies has an Atmos speaker already and due that Definitive Technologies and Polk Audio are the same company, it make sense for Polk Audio to launch a new RTi - Atmos compatible speaker series. Also note that that bundle offered by Adorama if only available at Adorama and only as a bundle. There is no discount for single or pair of speakers.
They have to put a speaker on top for atmos so RTI A is very due for an update.

#42,588 ·
I have this feeling that Polk is moving out of the dealer model, and this price point sales product while the high margin product is now the soundbar and bluetooth wireless thingers.
Maybe, it also might be that they know their top tier products wont sell well in big box stores at its pricepoint, so they move the "GOOD" stuff to online retailers only, while retaining the lower models (R/M/T/Monitor/TSx/RTi A) at big box stores.

#42,589 ·
I don't recall any B&M store selling the LSiM series. Even, only few online retailers have the LSiM in stock and all of them sell it at full MSRP. You can still find RTi A at Fry's but they never had the LSiM series in stock.

#42,590 ·
I don't recall any B&M store selling the LSiM series. Even, only few online retailers have the LSiM in stock and all of them sell it at full MSRP. You can still find RTi A at Fry's but they never had the LSiM series in stock.
There are some Pacific Sales stores with LSIM series for sale. I'd call the local store before making the drive just to be sure.

#42,591 ·
Goodnight all!

Attachments

#42,592 ·
Is anyone taking advantage of the Adorama sale? It's essentially the same pricing as the F&F 50% off sale, but the speakers are bundled, which may be a problem for some.
I really wanted to jump on this deal, but the 706c is too tall (9") for my setup, and the 703 bundle with the 704c was already backordered by the time I found this deal. Last I checked, there were still some 706/703 bundles in cherry. I'd be willing to purchase a set if someone here wants a heavily discounted 706 center speaker.

#42,593 ·
It was probably a price mistake but I snagged a pair of FXi/A6's from Amazon at 299.99 the other day. I was planning on using these huge speakers as side surrounds in a 7.1.4 setup. First does anyone know of any speakers stands that can handle these behemoths. Second, barring another miracle of a price mistake on another pair of A6's, sound wise would it be ok to use a pair of OWM3's that I have in the rear or should I try save up?

#42,595 ·
I really wanted to jump on this deal, but the 706c is too tall (9") for my setup, and the 703 bundle with the 704c was already backordered by the time I found this deal. Last I checked, there were still some 706/703 bundles in cherry. I'd be willing to purchase a set if someone here wants a heavily discounted 706 center speaker.

@Radio81 and I are sharing one of the group buys, where I get the 706C. I have a new in box black Mahogany LSiM703 that I bought in the F & F sale that I intended to use with my 2 other LSiM 703's as a center. But, before I got around to it, I had to lower my screen and the 703 became too tall. It's available for $500.

#42,596 ·
@Radio81 and I are sharing one of the group buys, where I get the 706C. I have a new in box black Mahogany LSiM703 that I bought in the F & F sale that I intended to use with my 2 other LSiM 703's as a center. But, before I got around to it, I had to lower my screen and the 703 became too tall. It's available for $500.
Yeah! I am beyond happy that we could make this deal work for both of us. Honestly, the last thing I need is more speakers, but I could not pass these up at half off. I plan to run without a center until I can find a discounted 704c.

If anyone has a recommendation for speaker stands for the 703, please let me know. I would prefer a 22”-24” stand which can also be filled with sand or steel shot. The problem I’m finding is that most of the speaker stand top plates aren’t big enough. The 703 is a fairly deep bookshelf, and very heavy. Does everyone still use blu tack to help secure the speakers to the stands? Double sided tape?

I’ve found some 18” stands that would probably work, but not sure I want to go that low.

#42,597 ·
^^^I have my L & R 703's sitting on top of my dual Subs. I put 6" stands under the subs to reduce "floor effect" and it turned out to be just the right height for the front pair. Perhaps it's better to spend the money on a second sub than stands, if you don't already have a second sub. The LSiM 703's are good down to mid-bass and having my subs just underneath seemed like a good idea.

Reactions: zpatter1
#42,598 ·
^^^I have my L & R 703's sitting on top of my dual Subs. I put 6" stands under the subs to reduce "floor effect" and it turned out to be just the right height for the front pair. Perhaps it's better to spend the money on a second sub than stands, if you don't already have a second sub. The LSiM 703's are good down to mid-bass and having my subs just underneath seemed like a good idea.
I just bought an Outlaw Ultra X12 and a Subdude HT II isolation mat earlier this year. I have plenty of space for another sub, but I’m not sure I want to cough up the cash for all that again. I need to sell some things first, like my HTD Level 3 towers and center I have listed for sale here on AVS. *COUGH* :D

That is a good idea though and the X12 is tall enough to where it would work great.

#42,599 ·
#42,600 ·
Anyone had any issues with auto switch on and auto switch off feature on their Polk Sub ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk