AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

Please which is better ?

I can get either or - a pair of Diamond 9.6 or a pair of first generation EVO 30's

Price is neglible - I'm just curious which would be better for stereo playback of music? Soundstage is very important to me as well.

Hard to say. What's the size of the room where these speakers will reside?

What kind of gear do you have to feed them the music?

What kind of sound do you like? A little on ythe warm side? Neutral? Analytical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1308 Old 03-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

Hard to say. What's the size of the room where these speakers will reside?

What kind of gear do you have to feed them the music?

What kind of sound do you like? A little on ythe warm side? Neutral? Analytical?

It's going to be in my living room which is pretty 'average' in size - I don't think I'll be getting a subwoofer for this room - so that makes me think the 9.6's would be better, but I'm not a huge boomer anyway.

The amp will be a emotiva upa-7 that will run in 2 channel mode for the living room (I have 5.1 in the adjacent room, but I will have those off while in the living room) - this should provide enough power fo either or.

I like being able to hear where the different instruments are, etc. - good imaging / soundstage / powerful sound.

Just as a point of reference - my friend has Mirage OM-9's powered by an Adcom amp - I enjoy those a lot.
post #363 of 1308 Old 03-29-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post

Every single one of the nubs on one my my Opus 3 grills broke off. Any suggestions for a solution? Some of the nubs are stuck in the holes, not sure if I can dig them out with a pin or not. The only thing I can think of is substitute velcro. I hate to blemish the speakers like that, but I can't imagine gluing anything to the grill would work.

this is what I do, since I fly RC helicopters micro to 450 size I have a lot of small tool and parts, I used a very small drill bit I think around .o39 and a finger driver and made a hole in the part that was stuck in the speaker, then I used a small screw as an easy out, works great and theres no chance for damage to the speaker, then I drilled out the other side of the break and filed the broken halves, I used 1mm carbon fiber rod as a pin and CA glue which is way better than super glue, and now there sronger than before, not saying that you have to do this exact process but maybe theres something that you can put to use, a local hobby store will have everything you need
post #364 of 1308 Old 03-29-2009, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had the same problem with my Diamonds. I have been using "fun tak" -- the kind of stuff you use to hang posters on a wall.
post #365 of 1308 Old 03-29-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:

It's going to be in my living room which is pretty 'average' in size - I don't think I'll be getting a subwoofer for this room - so that makes me think the 9.6's would be better, but I'm not a huge boomer anyway.

The amp will be a emotiva upa-7 that will run in 2 channel mode for the living room (I have 5.1 in the adjacent room, but I will have those off while in the living room) - this should provide enough power fo either or.

I like being able to hear where the different instruments are, etc. - good imaging / soundstage / powerful sound.

Just as a point of reference - my friend has Mirage OM-9's powered by an Adcom amp - I enjoy those a lot.

definatly the evo 30`s would be a step up in quality of design and materials over any of the diamond speakers, is there a chance for you to audition them both?
post #366 of 1308 Old 03-29-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:

Seggers, the drivers on my Evo 30 and Opus 2 are never visually moving, unless I crank the hell out of the volume (which I hardly ever do). Those drivers simply are not visually moving under normal, moderate or even slightly high volumes or dynamics.

You can tell if the driver's working by the sound coming out or if your ears aren't capable of detecting them........gently and softly place your finger tip near or on the driver diaphragm (make sure your hands are well washed, dried and free of any oils, grime or dirt). You'll feel the music/vibrations coming through the drivers.

You may want to check that before going through yet another exchange.

Seggers, tony is right, make sure your sending back a bad speaker, like tony said touch and listen, if its not working then I would shut everything down and take the binding post screw caps and the biamp plates off and check for things like, oils, plastics or any other debre that might hinder a good connection, I would think it very rare for a driver to be bad since wharfedale check for driver respons before they box them, hookup a different speaker to make sure that you equipment is right, speaker polarity and settings
post #367 of 1308 Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURON ANGEL View Post

definatly the evo 30`s would be a step up in quality of design and materials over any of the diamond speakers, is there a chance for you to audition them both?

Sorry, NO. Guess it's not an easy choice, eh? I'd probably win with either or.
post #368 of 1308 Old 03-29-2009, 10:01 PM

buy the opus 1`s for $1,407.00 from my friend terry at (at your service) but you better hurry before there gone, you will take it to the next level and be very happy you did
post #369 of 1308 Old 03-29-2009, 10:43 PM

I'm new here but I got to say I'm really happy with my 9.6's. I'd recommend them to anybody.
I bought a complete 7.1 set last september.
9.6 fronts, 9.cm center, 9.dfs sides, 9.cs for rears since they hang from the cieling and an SW250 sub. Mostly I was really happy with it. But the sub wasn't near enough. I sold it off at a severe loss and since I already had an extra stereo amp, I built myself a pair of subs with 15" kickers.
The 9.6's are good for music as well as movie's/tv. I have the subs crossed at 50Hz since the fronts are pretty smooth down to that level.
Wharfedale prices are pretty high here in Canada. I almost bought online from WWE, but exchange, shipping and tax/import duties would have been much worse. Whafedale gave me the name of a local shop, Audio Oasis, who handled all the shipping so i didn't have to deal with any of that.
The only problem was one of the 9.cs grills had the little nubs broke off (they popped out with a pin, no problem) and my store had the new grill mailed staight to me.

My old Klipsh system has moved up to the bedroom

Tom, Ajax, ON, Canada
post #370 of 1308 Old 03-30-2009, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, NO. Guess it's not an easy choice, eh? I'd probably win with either or.

I would probably take the Evo 30's myself, little bit better tweeter and nicer cabinet. But if you like to rock out and pump up the volume the Diamond 9.6's rock.
post #371 of 1308 Old 03-30-2009, 08:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Seggers, the drivers on my Evo 30 and Opus 2 are never visually moving, unless I crank the hell out of the volume (which I hardly ever do). Those drivers simply are not visually moving under normal, moderate or even slightly high volumes or dynamics.

You can tell if the driver's working by the sound coming out or if your ears aren't capable of detecting them........gently and softly place your finger tip near or on the driver diaphragm (make sure your hands are well washed, dried and free of any oils, grime or dirt). You'll feel the music/vibrations coming through the drivers.

You may want to check that before going through yet another exchange.

TjMV3,

Cheers for the suggestion.

I didn't quite make it clear in my original mail. I was touching the 2nd driver. It moved (not a great amount, but it did move) for both the good 40 and the 40 that was to be replaced. It did not move, under the same situations, on the newly arrived 40 that is now upstairs.

I was very careful as one of them I actually wanted to keep......

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #372 of 1308 Old 03-30-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

TjMV3,

Cheers for the suggestion.

I didn't quite make it clear in my original mail. I was touching the 2nd driver. It moved (not a great amount, but it did move) for both the good 40 and the 40 that was to be replaced. It did not move, under the same situations, on the newly arrived 40 that is now upstairs.

I was very careful as one of them I actually wanted to keep......

Seggers

Okay, cool. I just wanted to make sure you weren't going through a lot of work and inconvienance.

Don't get me wrong, those driver move. But from a visual stand point, it's hard to see it unless you get right up close and in front of the drivers under normal, moderate or even slightly high volumes or dynamics.

Another thing that crossed my mind, was this. Several years ago, I seem to remember someone having a problem with a driver that was not working and it turned out to be a simply case of the internal wire dislodging from the internal driver connetion, at some point in shipping/handling. IRRC, the guy removed the driver and reconnected the wire.
post #373 of 1308 Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post

I would probably take the Evo 30's myself, little bit better tweeter and nicer cabinet. But if you like to rock out and pump up the volume the Diamond 9.6's rock.

Well, I ended up going with the Diamond 9.6's for the larger driver.

I'm sure the evo 30 would have been an awesome choice, but I think that these will suit my needs just fine. In a few years, I'll just upgrade them to Opus 2's

Thanks for your replies!
post #374 of 1308 Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post

Every single one of the nubs on one my my Opus 3 grills broke off. Any suggestions for a solution? Some of the nubs are stuck in the holes, not sure if I can dig them out with a pin or not. The only thing I can think of is substitute velcro. I hate to blemish the speakers like that, but I can't imagine gluing anything to the grill would work.

I've used small, square cut pieces of adhesive backed velcro on my rear EVO 10's. Both top pins on one grill broke off. I have a roll of adhesive velcro in 1/2" width for computer stuff that I used. I had to double them up (4 layers as opposed to just two) in order to get the height needed from the wood of the speaker itself to the rear of the grill. But cutting them that small made them invisible once the grills were on and attached with the velcro at the top.
post #375 of 1308 Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Tony. I commented I ordered a pair of the new EVO2-10's to replace my older Pacific EVO-10's for my rear surrounds and you asked for me to let you know if I hear a difference. Well I can say I do.

When I first got them (from tsto for the previously mentioned price) and pulled them from their boxes they were intact and the shipping boxes showed no damage so that is all good. They are the exact same size cabinets as my older ones but with a different/updated driver.

They are listed as having the same 87db sensitivity as my older Evo's so I figured they would have the same levels needed from my player(s) as my old ones. But after I wired them up and played some 5.1 music I have they seemed at first to be more sensitive since they seemed to have noticeably more sound coming from them. So after a few run thru's on other 5.1 albums I have I ran a sound calibration disk I use that has band limited (500Hz-2000Hz) pink noise for each speaker. I use it with a Radio shack sound level meter I've always used for balancing speaker levels.

The sound levels seemed to measure pretty much the same as they always did in terms of overall system speaker level balance. After tweaking I ran thru my 5.1 music and again I can only say that I'm hearing more and clearer sound coming from the new EVO 2's. Overall I seem to have a better match to my front Opus 2's (first generation like yours) than I had before. Mostly it seems like it's better and clearer sound from around 800Hz to maybe 3KHz. I hear some instruments and voices in that range more clearly and more in balance with my fronts than I did before.

I know you have the same speakers as I do/did so you wanted my take on using the EVO 2 10's versus the Pacific EVO 10's. Bottom line is that I feel the 379 I spent on new rear speakers was well spent as I can hear an improvement in my rear surrounds.
post #376 of 1308 Old 03-30-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you!

I'm gonna' have to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTBC View Post

Tony. I commented I ordered a pair of the new EVO2-10's to replace my older Pacific EVO-10's for my rear surrounds and you asked for me to let you know if I hear a difference. Well I can say I do.

When I first got them (from tsto for the previously mentioned price) and pulled them from their boxes they were intact and the shipping boxes showed no damage so that is all good. They are the exact same size cabinets as my older ones but with a different/updated driver.

They are listed as having the same 87db sensitivity as my older Evo's so I figured they would have the same levels needed from my player(s) as my old ones. But after I wired them up and played some 5.1 music I have they seemed at first to be more sensitive since they seemed to have noticeably more sound coming from them. So after a few run thru's on other 5.1 albums I have I ran a sound calibration disk I use that has band limited (500Hz-2000Hz) pink noise for each speaker. I use it with a Radio shack sound level meter I've always used for balancing speaker levels.

The sound levels seemed to measure pretty much the same as they always did in terms of overall system speaker level balance. After tweaking I ran thru my 5.1 music and again I can only say that I'm hearing more and clearer sound coming from the new EVO 2's. Overall I seem to have a better match to my front Opus 2's (first generation like yours) than I had before. Mostly it seems like it's better and clearer sound from around 800Hz to maybe 3KHz. I hear some instruments and voices in that range more clearly and more in balance with my fronts than I did before.

I know you have the same speakers as I do/did so you wanted my take on using the EVO 2 10's versus the Pacific EVO 10's. Bottom line is that I feel the 379 I spent on new rear speakers was well spent as I can hear an improvement in my rear surrounds.

post #377 of 1308 Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 PM

I got my evo2 10's 2 weeks ago, there seems to be a problem with them. The singer is usually in the middle slightly in front of speakers or slightly off to either side with the drums behind, cymbals and drums fluctuate up and down in height and rotate around the center. There no speakers there though ! The lead guitar to the left and bass guitar to the right a little inside or outside of speakers. So what gives ? Maybe their just breaking in. I've listened to paradigm studio 20, focal 706v and monitor audio rs1 and never heard that ! By the way the highs, mids and lows are perfect !
post #378 of 1308 Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 24
.... turned out to be a broken off connector. Looks like it was rammed home and the thing just broke.

For those who have wondered what it takes to get a driver out, you require a 1/8 hex head bit.

So now I wait for find out if WWE are going to ship the last one, or if I can go ahead and replace the connector.

I almost want to go "f.... It" and keep the one that has lifting veneer on it.

I have 2 pair of EVO 10s (not EVO2) and they sound great. They have a wondeful sound stage to them. So I was wondering, cammer, did you reset up the speakers, re do the AVR settings etc and what the transport medium was for your musice stuff?

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #379 of 1308 Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammer View Post

I got my evo2 10's 2 weeks ago, there seems to be a problem with them. The singer is usually in the middle slightly in front of speakers or slightly off to either side with the drums behind, cymbals and drums fluctuate up and down in height and rotate around the center. There no speakers there though ! The lead guitar to the left and bass guitar to the right a little inside or outside of speakers. So what gives ? Maybe their just breaking in. I've listened to paradigm studio 20, focal 706v and monitor audio rs1 and never heard that ! By the way the highs, mids and lows are perfect !

That doesn't sound like a speaker problem. That sounds like a speaker placement problem and probably a listening seat placement problem, too.

Also, recording/CD/album were you listenign to that did that?

Another thing, just to make sure, check your interconnects and speaker cables. Make sure you have Positive/Red/Right and Negative/Black/Left plugged in their correct outputs and inputs. And make sure your amp's speaker cable outputs are connected with the ......Left is your Left from the seating/listening position and Right is your Right from the seating/listening position.

Not Right and Left from the speakers facing the listening position perspective.

I have a friend who mixed that up and his soundstage/imaging was a bit whacky.
post #380 of 1308 Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 AM

I have just joined the Wharfedale owners club as of yesterday. Picked up a set of Wharfedale Evolution 30's on eBay for a song. I will be using these for a new 2-channel setup in my livingroom. Plan on eventually driving these with a Peachtree Audio Nova mated with a Sonos ZP90. I was originally set on getting a pair of Monitor Audio RS6s or Energy RC-30s but I couldn't pass up the sweet deal on the Wharfies. I am pretty confident that these speakers should give me many hours of listening enjoyment. Very had to get impressions on these and had to buy unheard so I am nervous about what to expect. Wharfedales don't seem like a very big brand and are almost unheard of here in the U.S.

Any suggestions about placement or amplification are welcome.
post #381 of 1308 Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrinerMonkey View Post

I have just joined the Wharfedale owners club as of yesterday.
Any suggestions about placement or amplification are welcome.

That should be a nice combo, I would think that would sound great together. Placement isn't to complicated on these, I would just toe them in a bit see how they sound. Let us know.
post #382 of 1308 Old 04-03-2009, 01:48 PM

These speakers are amazing EVO2 10. Their powered by a Yamaha rx-v659,just wondering how that receiver would sound with opus series 1 - 1, I will not upgrade to separates to expensive. Would that receiver supply enough power to do those speakers justice.
post #383 of 1308 Old 04-03-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:

These speakers are amazing EVO2 10. Their powered by a Yamaha rx-v659,just wondering how that receiver would sound with opus series 1 - 1, I will not upgrade to separates to expensive. Would that receiver supply enough power to do those speakers justice.

I would think a yamaha would sound harsh and bright with anything let alone with the opus line, I have red a few posts hear and there were people had sound and power issues with yamaha paired with opus, opus speaker like power more the better I think

I found this for you but loading it on a bench and hooking it up to opus speaker are two different things http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...ments-analysis
post #384 of 1308 Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 PM

Huron Angel, actually the yamaha sounds exceptionally good with the evos not harsh at all just detailed. Way better than the paradigms I had which were borderline fatiguing.
post #385 of 1308 Old 04-03-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:

Huron Angel, actually the yamaha sounds exceptionally good with the evos not harsh at all just detailed. Way better than the paradigms I had which were borderline fatiguing.

that might be, my diamond 9.2`s seemed to lack some of the highs with my H/K 645 when I had them in my system, so if the tweeter in the evo are anything like them then I gess it could sound better with the yamaha, but the opus are way different, even with the H/K as a pre and the Butler 5150 as an amp it sometime seems slightly bright when my ears are giving me problems from alergies other wise there perfect for me,

I still have my yamaha rx v-870 from my old system when I was running DCM`s which had horn loaded tweeters and after years of use I came to the conclusion that it was pretty bright so I upgraded to wharfedale diamond speaker and H/K which was much softer but then realized that the system souned slightly muffled and the highs were not all there,

If you want my opinion I say anytime you can get your hand on a pair of opus speaker regardless of what you have (get them) knowing that you will upgrade other things later, your reciever should handle the opus 1`s the 2`s would be pushing it
post #386 of 1308 Old 04-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HURON ANGEL View Post

I would think a yamaha would sound harsh and bright with anything let alone with the opus line, I have red a few posts hear and there were people had sound and power issues with yamaha paired with opus, opus speaker like power more the better I think.

I've been driving my Opus 2's (first generation) for 5 years now with a Yamaha RX-V2400 which is rated at 120 watts per channel. I've never felt my sound was too bright or harsh. Over the years I've had in several other friends I consider audiophiles and they have always been blown away by the sound from my Wharfedale system. Most recently about a month ago the husband of a friend of my wife's came over and he is a professional in the sound industry having done stage set ups for concerts as well as custom home installs. He was VERY impressed with the sound from my set up. So I feel very happy with the sound I'm getting and confident it's not just *my* ears/head telling me so.

I have Opus 2 fronts and center and just recently (this past month) upgraded my rear surrounds from the Pacific Evo 10's to the Evo 2 10's. I have an SVS PC Ultra cylinder subwoofer. I admit I run all my speakers in small mode with a crossover at either 60 or 80 Hz so my receiver isn't straining to drive my Wharfedales at the very low frequencies. If I ran them large I might be more concerned about power.

It's true that the Yamaha RX-V659 is rated at 100 watts versus 120 watts for my 2400 so there could be some concern about power if you're driving a full 5.1 system. More power is almost never a *bad* thing but it wasn't clear to me if Cammer has a 5.1 system. OTOH I know he said his system sounds good so likely he has enough power for his listening needs.
post #387 of 1308 Old 04-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Ice' I do have a 7.2 & to would run the opus 1 on small.
post #388 of 1308 Old 04-04-2009, 02:19 PM

the most important thing is that you are happy with the sound of your system, I have very sensitive ears that are damaged as well so I can hear like a dog but have to sleap with something that is noisy like air purifiers or all I hear is a very loud ringing noise, so finding a system that fits my needs can be tricky

and yes setting everything on small is what I do to, even with all the power I have, I have my sub takes care of the low F

On the H/K 645 if you chose large, no derived sound will be sent to the sub output, althouth the LFE signal for 5.1 digital programs will always be sent to the sub out, thats what my book says, I have not experemented with everything yet but I will get around to it
post #389 of 1308 Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 PM

[quote=Tom.F.1;16152876]I'm new here but I got to say I'm really happy with my 9.6's. I'd recommend them to anybody.

welcome Tom, nice equipment you have
post #390 of 1308 Old 04-05-2009, 11:40 AM

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...omlayout2.html

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/how...placement.html

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/sp...ent-guidelines

http://www.thx.com/home/setup/speakers/71.html

these site have help me but not all thing are pratical or justified, and starting pionts are different on some sites, somethings I just dont agree with like the rear channels being on the sides or even slightly back on a 5.1 setup, I think the starting piont should be 110 to 130 degrees and the elevation starting piont should be a foot higher than ear level or just enough to clear the back of the seating and have somewhat of a separation from the seating simular to the fronts but slighty wider apart, this is if the room permits,,, your objective shoud be to get the sound to wrap around your head and tie into the fronts

I have my sub placement just like the THX site right under the center and it gives me bass that cant be trace to the source it sounds and feel like its coming from everywere

the tweeters on the front and center speakers should be somewere around ear level, or as the setup gos ear hight should be someware between the tweeter and driver, my ear hight at seated is around 3`1" the tweeters on the fronts is 3`2" tweeter on the center 3` and the tweeters on the rears are 4`6 1/2" but of course that is what works for my system (room and equipment) for example my rear DFS speakers are Bi pole 2 way so someone with evo 10`s as rears like tony has it would be an entirely different placement all together
Reply Speakers

Tags
Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish
Gear in this thread - Sp870 by PriceGrabber.com