Wharfedale Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Wharfedale Owners Thread

Speakers

mustvid's Avatar mustvid
12:41 PM Liked: 10
post #451 of 1309
06-22-2009 | Posts: 347
Yes, I am aware of that sale. I purchased Diamond 9.1's and my 8's from STO. I would prefer Black and they are $90 more than the maple. I was hoping someone might be willing to sell their black set. I may buy the maple or try a sub to get more bass.
HURON ANGEL's Avatar HURON ANGEL
09:53 PM Liked: 10
post #452 of 1309
06-23-2009 | Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

Yes, I am aware of that sale. I purchased Diamond 9.1's and my 8's from STO. I would prefer Black and they are $90 more than the maple. I was hoping someone might be willing to sell their black set. I may buy the maple or try a sub to get more bass.

I have the 9.2`s in black, after i upgraded to the opus 1`s i put the 9.2 in there original wrapping and stored them away, I would give them a 9 out of 10, no flaws, and one year of use, let me know
mustvid's Avatar mustvid
10:00 PM Liked: 10
post #453 of 1309
06-23-2009 | Posts: 347
I appreciate the offer. I really want the Evo2 10's.
kyle777's Avatar kyle777
04:09 AM Liked: 10
post #454 of 1309
06-29-2009 | Posts: 18
I don't know if anyone has posted pics of their drive units but the port fell out of my 9.5's and I took some pics if anybody wants.
anxion's Avatar anxion
12:18 PM Liked: 10
post #455 of 1309
06-29-2009 | Posts: 31
hello Guys
I have one question What AV receiver I should use for wharfedale 9.5 0r 9.6 ?

thx
Jim2009's Avatar Jim2009
10:03 PM Liked: 10
post #456 of 1309
06-29-2009 | Posts: 4
Hi Everyone,

Here comes my first post here. I'm a Wharferdale fan and I love it's great warm and non-fatigue sound.

Anyone knows which CD players and amps have best synergy with opus2-2? I am still struggling on how to match these opus2 (the new opus line) speakers. I don't wanna take the risk of buying these stuff that I don't have any chance to audition. Also, anyone knows the best price of opus2-2. Thanks a lot!
Rogue Element's Avatar Rogue Element
07:56 PM Liked: 10
post #457 of 1309
06-30-2009 | Posts: 178
First off, welcome! As a fellow Wharfedale owner, I can't agree more with your assesment of the Wharfies. Great soundstage, balanced tonality, simply non-fatiguing.

There was an "Amps for Opus" thread going a while back. Check it here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=opus

IIRC, lots of tube gear was suggested, as Opus likes neutral to slightly warm gear. The Hypex UcD amps also fit that profile (Exodus Audio has the best prices there and will send a demo unit for shipping costs IIRC), and being Class D are WAY more efficient. Many also like Outlaw and Emotive amps. Hopefully you will get some more responses.

AYSelectronics (www.ayselectronics.com) has been a good source of Opus, even the bookshelves. Prices have varied greatly.
Jim2009's Avatar Jim2009
07:01 PM Liked: 10
post #458 of 1309
07-01-2009 | Posts: 4
Hello Rogue,

Great and thanks! Your information is really helpful for my decision!
After checking the thread you mentioned, I have decided to get opus-2 (the old series) rather than opus2-2, which has no discernable differences to ears of some experienced guys.

For CD player, I will consider Rega Apollo, which is sounds good and a little sweet to me feeding Unico (a Hybrid amp from Unison Research) to drive EVO2-30.

But for amps, I think many of them are not affordable to me and most of them are not available in the dealer in which I'll get opus. My buget for amps is below 1500$, so I want to choose something like NAD, Unison Research and Cambridge Audio, which are available in the local dealer and have good performance cost ratio also. Unison provides some hybrid amps (having tubes for preamp), but seems I can not find anyone using it to matching their opus.

Rogue, what do you think of these amps for synergy? I know you have so much experience with your opus.

Another question, do warm cd player and warm amp really have best synergy with opus series? What I am concerning is if both warm stuffs can still make clear and detailed sound. Really appreciate your kindly help!
09:31 AM Liked: 10
post #459 of 1309
07-02-2009 | Posts: 178
Well, I don't know how much experience I really have. I do know what I like though

Is that $1500 for 2 channels, 3 channels, 5, or 7? I know you can get 7 channels from Outlaw and Emotiva in that range, but they are mail order (with good CS, returns, etc.). IIRC, NAD makes a multichannel ICEpower amp now, the T1095 I think. I don't have personal experience with ICE, but people report that they deliver prodigious amounts of clean power and have a nice, slightly tubey sound. Check out the threads for D-Sonic and Wyred4Sound amps (they're ICE amps) to get an idea of what to expect. Since you've got a good dealer, maybe he'll let you take some demo units home of each line to experiment with for a while.

Always remember with amp demos: people react positively to perceived loudness. In other words, the louder amp is preferred, all other things being equal. So, try to make sure that each new amp is set with the same gain as the previous amp before making any evaluations. A simple Radio Shack SPL meter will suffice.
Jim2009's Avatar Jim2009
12:26 AM Liked: 10
post #460 of 1309
07-03-2009 | Posts: 4
Rogue, thanks a lot for the reply!
I am considering pure music system. So I just want to get a two-channel hybrid amp or solid-state one that sounds sweet as tubed amp, but not lack of detail, speed and dynamic.

Unfortuanately the dealer does not stock any opus speakers so I don't have change to audition.
So here comes my question. Actually I want to know if something like 840A / 740A (transistor amp from Cambirdge Audio) and Unico / Unico SE (hybrid amps from Unison Reseach) sounds good or not with opus series. Let me check with other friends in case you do not have experience with Cambrige Audio and Unison amps. Thanks anyway!
soulrider4ever's Avatar soulrider4ever
07:33 AM Liked: 10
post #461 of 1309
07-04-2009 | Posts: 681
def. consider http://emotiva.com/ - they have a great sale on a pair of monoblocks right now; plus a CD player/preamp/amp combo sale as well for $999
Jim2009's Avatar Jim2009
03:54 AM Liked: 10
post #462 of 1309
07-06-2009 | Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

def. consider http://emotiva.com/ - they have a great sale on a pair of monoblocks right now; plus a CD player/preamp/amp combo sale as well for $999

Sounds like good and cheap stuffs.
But unfortunately this brand is not available at the local dealer. Thanks anyway!
01:09 PM Liked: 10
post #463 of 1309
07-06-2009 | Posts: 178
No experience with the Cambridge or Unico amps. Sorry.

Good luck!
TjMV3's Avatar TjMV3
01:41 PM Liked: 10
post #464 of 1309
07-06-2009 | Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2009 View Post

But unfortunately this brand is not available at the local dealer. Thanks anyway!

You can buy directly from the Emotiva.
Ikemann's Avatar Ikemann
08:17 PM Liked: 10
post #465 of 1309
07-06-2009 | Posts: 98
Just got a pair of Opus 3 and Opus Tri-Centre for almost 2 weeks now. Very impress with Opus line, worth every penny.

Opus 3 sound a lot better than my old ADS M-15 & Evo-40, it give a very open sound very good sound image due to 3" dome mid-range & 1" silk dome tweeter. Bass is real good for both mid-bass (tight mid-bass) & low-bass (powerful low-bass). I don't even need a sub for my 2 channel set up.

Opus Tri-Centre also bring a real live effect to 7.1 surround set up, it give more sound image than my old Evo Center (of course, it triple the size & price). Vocal is much better than Evo. Didn't realize how important of a center channel speaker until switched to Opus.

Drive with ADCOM GFA-5802 & GFP-750 on 2-channel set up, and run with Yamaha RX-Z9 on 7.1 surround set up. Another happy Wharfedale owner.
Fastnbulbous's Avatar Fastnbulbous
09:31 AM Liked: 10
post #466 of 1309
07-08-2009 | Posts: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2009 View Post

Emotiva has a liberal return policy. For your $999 budget, you're not going to get anything better new than the XPA-2 for $799, at 250 watts per channel. If my XPA-5 drives my Opus 3, center and tri-surrounds beautifully, I don't think you'll have any problem with Opus 2. I've tried a few amps, and my experience is that amps are all about value per watts and build quality. Anything regarding "warm" versus "cold" sound is just crazy talk.

The other option of course is to patiently look for used equipment.
07:08 AM Liked: 10
post #467 of 1309
07-13-2009 | Posts: 681
I just picked up an Emotiva LPA-1 for my bedroom setup - Diamond 9.1 / CS and all I have to say is - WOW. I've had various receivers and even some other power amplifiers powering these speakers, but it wasn't until I connected it to this LPA-1 that I finally understand why stereophile raved about this speaker.

The Bass that is coming out of this seriously rivals my subwoofer down to around 50hz, it's incredible! I now finally have a very nice stereo image being portrayed in 2.0. Emotiva + Wharfedale = win!
boulderdashcci's Avatar boulderdashcci
02:32 PM Liked: 11
post #468 of 1309
07-24-2009 | Posts: 232
Guess I should chime in as I'm now a Wharfedale owner.

I've been using the Evo2-10 standmount for the past month or so and I've been very impressed. I just posted some detailed thoughts about them here so I won't go on for very long, but I will say I like these speakers very much. They are as detailed as I could want and not harsh at all, and they do pretty much everything I like well with the exception of being a bit polite (see my link, I explain it a bit more there). I've always had an interest in this company's speakers so I'm glad I finally got a pair for myself. Haven't been let down one bit.
05:12 PM Liked: 10
post #469 of 1309
07-24-2009 | Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

Guess I should chime in as I'm now a Wharfedale owner.

I've been using the Evo2-10 standmount for the past month or so and I've been very impressed. I just posted some detailed thoughts about them here so I won't go on for very long, but I will say I like these speakers very much. They are as detailed as I could want and not harsh at all, and they do pretty much everything I like well with the exception of being a bit polite (see my link, I explain it a bit more there). I've always had an interest in this company's speakers so I'm glad I finally got a pair for myself. Haven't been let down one bit.

Sweet, glad you like - def. look into a amp - http://emotiva.com/upa2.shtm has a line level out so it's 'integrated' without a remote control, but still has a volume control (albeit on the back) you can get a B-Stock for $250. You won't be dissappointed.
05:36 PM Liked: 11
post #470 of 1309
07-24-2009 | Posts: 232
I'm actually looking at the NAD C325bee or Cambridge Audio Azur 540A - both 60wpc integrateds going for $299 right now at Spearit Sound in Boston. I don't think I'll be ready to buy until winter time though, so those deals probably won't be around then.
aburwell213's Avatar aburwell213
09:36 AM Liked: 10
post #471 of 1309
08-10-2009 | Posts: 39
I am looking to get a pair of Diamond 8.2 to use on my Harman Kardon AVR-146.

AVR-146 specs here:
http://www.harmankardon.com/specific...%20146&sType=C

As you can see Harman provides only 8-ohm specs.

Question: Can the Harman Drive these 6-ohm speakers well, considering the impedance factor and all?

I've read that the Harman amp is a decent high-current amp...but is it enough?

I would also like to add a Wharfedale center channel. If it can handle it.
12:21 PM Liked: 11
post #472 of 1309
08-10-2009 | Posts: 232
I can't see your receiver having any problems with those speakers. 6ohms is a pretty easy load.
01:13 PM Liked: 10
post #473 of 1309
Quote:

I can't see your receiver having any problems with those speakers. 6ohms is a pretty easy load.

Great.

Hopefully there's enough juice to power the center channel as well.

I am second-guessing this because my buddy is attempting the same now, but experiencing issues running his center and bookshelfs together with this same receiver.
01:21 PM Liked: 11
post #474 of 1309
What kind of issues? Receivers are made to be able to run all 5-7 channels at the same time.

6Ohm loads are not uncommon, they're just uncommonly rated that way. All speakers will swing their impedance depending on the frequency they're playing. Most speakers, even those rated at 8ohms, will play between 4-16 ohms throughout the spectrum. A 6ohm load is not difficult at all, and your receiver should be able to handle it without a problem.

Also I'd look into the Diamond 9 if you can afford them. From what I've read they're much better speakers than the older ones (just stuff as small as the curved cabinet on the Diamond 9 as opposed to the box one of the 8 should yield better performance). And the Evo2s are in a whole different league, and not much more money.
01:34 PM Liked: 10
post #475 of 1309
Quote:

What kind of issues? Receivers are made to be able to run all 5-7 channels at the same time.

6Ohm loads are not uncommon, they're just uncommonly rated that way. All speakers will swing their impedance depending on the frequency they're playing. Most speakers, even those rated at 8ohms, will play between 4-16 ohms throughout the spectrum. A 6ohm load is not difficult at all, and your receiver should be able to handle it without a problem.

Also I'd look into the Diamond 9 if you can afford them. From what I've read they're much better speakers than the older ones (just stuff as small as the curved cabinet on the Diamond 9 as opposed to the box one of the 8 should yield better performance). And the Evo2s are in a whole different league, and not much more money.

From what I can remember, the speaker was going in and out. Like some kind of short or something. There may be an issue with the speaker. It is a center channel from STO.

Yes, I am looking at some Diamond 9's now from STO for 100 bucks.
01:52 PM Liked: 11
post #476 of 1309
Sounds more like an issue with the receiver being broken than it not being able to handle the speaker. If the three speakers running at the same time were too much of a load for the receiver, it'd simply go into protect mode, so it definitely isn't that.

I'm not sure what the Diamond 9.0 would get you over the 8.2 as it is a much smaller speaker only having a 4" driver. The 9.1 is a 5.25" driver with an enclosure tuned for very low bass response for it's size, so you'd probably have better results with that, though I don't know your room size/situation. Call STO and see what they think.
MatsudaMan's Avatar MatsudaMan
08:29 PM Liked: 10
post #477 of 1309
08-10-2009 | Posts: 80
I own a pair of Diamond 9.5's. They've been a dependable speaker for all kinds of music. I've driven them with NAD c352 and Atoll in80 and in100 (relatively unknown french integrated - love them). I thought they sounded pretty good with the NAD, but when I hooked them up to the Atoll they really opened up. I think wharfedales match really well with amps that are bright and punchy - also something that can really grip the bass - as wharfedales are known to have somewhat wooly bass. Overall though they've been great speakers.

However, I "upgraded" to some Spendor S5e's and they are much better. Anyone want to buy some mint condition Diamond 9.5's?
04:11 PM Liked: 10
post #478 of 1309
08-13-2009 | Posts: 256
In case anyone is interested, I noticed there's an Opus 3 on eBay, closing Tuesday. Don't bid more than $1,700!
paerley's Avatar paerley
10:54 AM Liked: 10
post #479 of 1309
08-14-2009 | Posts: 97
Well, I've officially joined:

A. The world of Mid-High end Audio gear
B. The Wharfedale Owners Club

With my recent acquisition of:

1 Set Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Bookshelf Speakers
1 Set Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 Bookshelf Speakers
1 Wharfedale Diamond 9.CS Center Channel Speaker

As well as a Denon AVR-1909 Receiver. I'm currently running in 5.0 as I've found the Wharfedales produce better bass than my crappy HTIB woofer did. So I'm in the market for a sub. Been looking at a BIC F12 or an eD A2-300. Also looking at going to the 7.N variant of surround sound. Any suggestions on 9.0s vs 8.0s for Rear Surround Channels? I picked up the 9.1s + 9.0s as the price was right for the set, but in moving forward, want what will likely work best in my setup. I've also considered going nuts and doing something like 9.4s in front, 9.0s moved to Rear surround, and 9.1s moved to side channels.

Anyways, these are my first high end(for lack of a better term) speaker purchase, having come from a world where bose cubes are god, and monster cables are worth it. Today my wiring from monoprice shows up (150' of good zip cord, and 20 banana plugs), so I believe I've successfully graduated to an edumacated buyher(*). I will state that I am absolutely blown away by what these speakers can do already. They have maybe 4 hours of use, and from what I've been told (in my decision making thread located here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...170&highlight= ) after a decent break in period they'll sound noticeably better. What in the sound will become different as I cross this point? I did notice that, while watching Bad Boys II last night, the vocals became clearer as the movie went on, as well as some other 'non descript' improvements in the sound quality. Unfortunately, I don't really know the preferred terms for things, but here's my best shot:

When I started listening to music and watching a movie, my first impression was that it was like listening while you're sick and really stuffy (and everything has the semi-muffled sound). I'm sure it was, in part, to my being used to RCA Speakers that used MASSIVE 2 in. Drivers(?Tweeters?), but how much was the speakers breaking in? At first it seemed REALLY bad, like I was afraid that I had gotten defective speakers. Now I'm certain it's another contributing factor. Also, audyssey is setting the speakers to 'small', which seems odd to me, as they're not small.

Ok, I guess that's enough comment for my introduction, haha.

I look forward to reading more and learning from you guys.

Pat

(*) For both people who stumble on this, it's an INTENTIONAL misspelling.
10:35 PM Liked: 10
post #480 of 1309
08-19-2009 | Posts: 256
The Opus 3 sold for $1,050, over $600 less than what I paid for mine. Someone got an awesome deal!
Tags: Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish

Gear in this thread - Sp870 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread