Wharfedale Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
soulrider4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County, NY
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbadge View Post

Hi there!
Thank you very much for the information!

Honestly I am considering a pair of Axiom or Wharfedale with the budget of roughly $300. I have listened to none of them, but it seems I lean toward the Wharfedale since I have heard they are "warm," which is my taste for music listening. As I know, I could contact with TSTO when anything goes wrong with the Wharfedale, instead of shipping them to the U.K., which is nice. However, Axiom has a very reputable customer service right here in North America is a considerable advantage.

Could you tell me what makes you choose Wharfedale? I know this is classic but I think a little refreshing discussion wouldn't hurt

BTW, the eBay store I contacted with last few days was actually Philadelphia TSTO

Again, thanks a lot for your inputs!

Best,
iBadge

Hey,

Can you get floorstanders? For $299 shipped - http://cgi.ebay.com/Wharfedale-Diamo...item25538a3fd3

Wharfedale Diamond 9.4, it's a no brainer!

Wharfedale speakers are great sounding when paired with the right equipment for power. They have great detail and imaging, and just keep you coming back for more. They have a great US based distibutor 'Sound Imports' if you have any problems, they'll ship you whatever, whenever. I've never heard Axiom's but I don't think they'll be able to match the level of detail at this price level.
soulrider4ever is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
boulderdashcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, Ma
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can also get the 8.3, the floorstanding version of the 8.2, for $209. You'll gain a bit of extension, but maybe lose some control due to the larger enclosure.

I personally haven't dealt with STO, but the person I bought my speakers from got them from them. He didn't report having any trouble with them, he just ended up wanting a different finish so sold them.

I chose Wharfedale because they had always been a curiosity of mine. When I was shopping for speakers originally, the Diamond 9.1 was at the top of my list to listen to, but unfortunately they were having some distribution problems so they ended up being nearly impossible to find new with a warranty. Last year after everything was sorted out, the Diamond 9 and Evo2 standmounts became extremely popular across a few internet forums due to very low prices from STO. The Evo2-10, which at one time were $299, were extremely underpriced making them pretty much the best speaker in that price point as they're comparable $600-$800 speakers (which is their MSRP as well). The best thing about them is how detailed they are without being fatiguing at all, and smoothness across the board. Bass, while not having much impact unless you really work the room, is very tight.

If you can afford $359, I'd bet that the Evo2-8 would be better than the Diamond 8 or 9, tower or bookshelf. Bass extension will not be as good, they will not be as punchy, but you'll probably get better detail and an overall more balanced presentation out of the Evos. However, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these speakers.
boulderdashcci is offline  
post #723 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Senior Member
 
boulderdashcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, Ma
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here are some recent pics of my Evos, since the pics on STO are obviously awful. Mine are in maple, which they no longer have, but it'll give you a general idea of what the finish is like if that's important to you. The Diamonds use a vinyl finish rather than the real wood veneer that the Evos have.





Ignore the masking tape on my floor, that was from doing the WASP setup, which is great by the way.
boulderdashcci is offline  
post #724 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
soulrider4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County, NY
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Maple is puurrtty, mine are all black, but needed the WAF.
soulrider4ever is offline  
post #725 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
soulrider4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County, NY
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dear Opus owners,

What are you using for speaker cable for the triamp, or are you just using the bridge that came with the unit? I'd imagine the opus line would benefit from high quality cable jumpers.
soulrider4ever is offline  
post #726 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

Hey,

Can you get floorstanders? For $299 shipped - http://cgi.ebay.com/Wharfedale-Diamo...item25538a3fd3

Wharfedale Diamond 9.4, it's a no brainer!

Wharfedale speakers are great sounding when paired with the right equipment for power. They have great detail and imaging, and just keep you coming back for more. They have a great US based distibutor 'Sound Imports' if you have any problems, they'll ship you whatever, whenever. I've never heard Axiom's but I don't think they'll be able to match the level of detail at this price level.

Hi,

I love to have that beautiful pair of speakers, really! However, for now I need a pair of bookshelf speakers for the bedroom. I will definitely look at these, or the Evo, when my living room is finished

When you say "paired with the right equipment for power," would you mean right amount of power (powerful enough) or some certain receiver? Is the Denon AVR590 probably a right one?

Could you tell me where could I find more information about the distributor "Sound Imports"? It is important to know Wharfedale authorized distributor and service (?) is around.

Cheers!

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #727 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Senior Member
 
boulderdashcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, Ma
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I personally have talked to Bob (Sound Imports) and he's a good guy. I had an issue with the tweeter not being seated flush on my speakers and he walked me through adjusting it, and even offered to let me take them over to him for no charge if I couldn't get it fixed myself as he's local to me.

I'm not sure how warranty service works in the US, since mine are second hand they aren't covered (nor have I had a big enough issue to want to send them back anyway), but judging from my conversations with Bob I wouldn't be hesitant with that at all.
boulderdashcci is offline  
post #728 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

If you can afford $359, I'd bet that the Evo2-8 would be better than the Diamond 8 or 9, tower or bookshelf. Bass extension will not be as good, they will not be as punchy, but you'll probably get better detail and an overall more balanced presentation out of the Evos. However, I don't think you'll go wrong with any of these speakers.

Hello!

Thank you for your input! The picture are beautiful and informative. Also thank you for the WASP page.

The Evo series, any color/finish, are undoubtedly pieces of art. Adding $150 is not a big deal, but I promised to myself the water testing would be the 8.2 after reading several, mostly good, reviews . Besides, it's the bedroom for now; thus the Diamond 8.2's seem fit the bill. Again, I lean toward the Evo and I hope the price would be still good when I finished the living room.

Best,

iB.

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #729 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

I personally have talked to Bob (Sound Imports) and he's a good guy. I had an issue with the tweeter not being seated flush on my speakers and he walked me through adjusting it, and even offered to let me take them over to him for no charge if I couldn't get it fixed myself as he's local to me.

I'm not sure how warranty service works in the US, since mine are second hand they aren't covered (nor have I had a big enough issue to want to send them back anyway), but judging from my conversations with Bob I wouldn't be hesitant with that at all.

Thanks. That's good to know. Is "Sound Imports" in MA? Do they have any online (i.e. web/e-mail) contact? I live in MD so I guess I must ship the speakers over there if I ever need service. Well for one pair it is not big of a deal, but for a (future) system then it is important to choose a nice vendor at the beginning

Again, the pictures, including those on Flickr, are beautiful. Thanks!

Best,

iB.

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #730 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
boulderdashcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, Ma
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah, he's in Hopedale, MA, between Rhode Island and Boston. All his contact info is here.

Thanks for the compliments on the pics. They are definitely pleasing to look at just as they are to listen to, though sometimes more than others. I generally prefer a darker veneer (my Cambridge Soundworks M80s, the other speakers on my Flickr are generally what I like) so sometimes I don't care for them....but with the right lighting they are quite nice looking. They are always enjoyable to listen to however, I have yet to find anything that sounds bad on them, except maybe poorly produced noise rock albums (and even it's not unlistenable). Most of what I listen to is atmospheric, dynamic instrumental rock, and they handle that quite well. They sound like a much bigger speaker than they really are and have a great sound stage. I'm listening to Explosions in the Sky right now at low-moderate volume, not even in the sweet spot, and they still sound huge. They are really over achievers, at least for what they cost.
boulderdashcci is offline  
post #731 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Member
 
lonestarbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

I personally have talked to Bob (Sound Imports) and he's a good guy. I had an issue with the tweeter not being seated flush on my speakers and he walked me through adjusting it, and even offered to let me take them over to him for no charge if I couldn't get it fixed myself as he's local to me.

I'm not sure how warranty service works in the US, since mine are second hand they aren't covered (nor have I had a big enough issue to want to send them back anyway), but judging from my conversations with Bob I wouldn't be hesitant with that at all.

I spoke with Bob as well and he was incredibly helpful. I was looking for a vendor who was local, unfortunately, there isn't one. Bob mentioned that he can get anything I needed Wharfedale related. He is the contact person for U.S. distributors on Wharefedale's website.
lonestarbuzz is offline  
post #732 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 PM
Newbie
 
cfiliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Turkey
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I recently own a pair of 8.3s. I've just bought a Cambridge Audio 640A v2, which i think is very musical.

I was looking for a replacement for my 8.3s. Especially a bookself... I was considering Monitor Audio RX2s for that purpose. But the retailer just offered a brand new pair of Opus 2-M1s for €750 (in Turkey) - cheaper than RX2s

Do you think it is really a bargain..? I've just read there were some issues with 'cohesion' according to review by What Hi-Fi. But is this a real issue..? I mean, even with this issue, is it much better than RX2s?

Cheers,
cfiliz is offline  
post #733 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Member
 
boulderdashcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, Ma
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do you have a link to the What-Hifi review? I'm curious about the Opus standmount speakers.
boulderdashcci is offline  
post #734 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

They are definitely pleasing to look at just as they are to listen to, though sometimes more than others.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the information.
I agree. Their look is not the first factor for my decision, but I must admit I keep coming back to them because the look first off Well, there's a reason though: I could not hear/"audit" any of them; I can only look at them. Again, your pics are very nice to look at and informative also! Personally, I like the darker too, but the lighter is not bad at all. I mean they are beautiful.

Quote:


I'm listening to Explosions in the Sky right now at low-moderate volume, not even in the sweet spot, and they still sound huge.

You're lucky. I'm in the middle of some midterm
Quote:


They are really over achievers, at least for what they cost.

Shhh... Don't let too many people know that

Best,
iB

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #735 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarbuzz View Post

I spoke with Bob as well and he was incredibly helpful. I was looking for a vendor who was local, unfortunately, there isn't one. Bob mentioned that he can get anything I needed Wharfedale related. He is the contact person for U.S. distributors on Wharefedale's website.

Hi!

Thanks. That's really good to know.

Best,
iB.

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #736 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Newbie
 
cfiliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Turkey
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

Do you have a link to the What-Hifi review? I'm curious about the Opus standmount speakers.

http://whathifi.com/Review/Wharfedale-Opus2-M1/
cfiliz is offline  
post #737 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Member
 
boulderdashcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, Ma
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Interesting read, thanks for the link. I have to wonder if the lack of integration they describe comes from the tweeter being mounted in the center, rather than on top in the cast iron casing like the rest of the Opus/Evos. I have never read about any other Wharfedales suffering driver integration issues like that.

Have you gone and listened to them yourself at all?
boulderdashcci is offline  
post #738 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Member
 
Jidonsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone recommend a way to get inside the speaker cabinet? The other Opus 2 speaker arrived today. A couple nicks here and there from a spike that was loose and rattled around during transport, but otherwise okay. In addition, the front left floor spike was tangling and come out completely when I tried to tighten it back up. I didn't realize that it used a retaining nut on the other end. Needless to say, that retaining nut is now loose inside the speaker cabinet....
Jidonsu is offline  
post #739 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
boulderdashcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, Ma
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Taking The woofers out is the only way in as far as I know.
boulderdashcci is offline  
post #740 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Bluvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Orland Park (South Side Chicago), Illinois
Posts: 1,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Found the Wharfedale EVO2-10 Shipped to my door for $418. I think that a good price. What do you guys think?

John
Bluvette is online now  
post #741 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Member
 
Jidonsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

Taking The woofers out is the only way in as far as I know.

Probably pretty easy, right?
Jidonsu is offline  
post #742 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
boulderdashcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, Ma
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah, just the six screws around the woofer. The MDF should have threaded inserts so don't worry about wearing the holes out when putting them back together. There should be a cast iron ring around the woofer that isn't part of the driver itself, so that comes off and you can just lift the driver out.

Quote:


Found the Wharfedale EVO2-10 Shipped to my door for $418. I think that a good price. What do you guys think?

John

Congrats on the purchase, please post some impressions when you get them. That is the cheapest I have seen them new recently, so good deal.
boulderdashcci is offline  
post #743 of 1365 Old 03-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Member
 
Jidonsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

Yeah, just the six screws around the woofer. The MDF should have threaded inserts so don't worry about wearing the holes out when putting them back together. There should be a cast iron ring around the woofer that isn't part of the driver itself, so that comes off and you can just lift the driver out.

Just did it, what was easy enough. Thanks!
Jidonsu is offline  
post #744 of 1365 Old 03-16-2010, 12:33 AM
Newbie
 
cfiliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Turkey
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

Interesting read, thanks for the link. I have to wonder if the lack of integration they describe comes from the tweeter being mounted in the center, rather than on top in the cast iron casing like the rest of the Opus/Evos. I have never read about any other Wharfedales suffering driver integration issues like that.

Have you gone and listened to them yourself at all?

Yes, I had the opportunity to listen them. Actually, I didn't reallised any cohesion or disintegration - but I'm no expert and they were driven by a tube amp. On Saturday (20th), the dealer will provide a CA 640A (like the one I'm actually using at home). So, I think I will have a better judgement. By the way, I will also be comparing them with a pair of RX2s, which is normally not the equivalent, right..? He was claming that, the equivalent of Opus for MA is PL100 or GS10. Do you agree with that..?

I think Opus 2-M1 is really HUGE for a bookself speaker, with height of 51cm! I have a 1.5 y.o. monster at home, so, placing them onto a stand will be invitation to a home accident - i guess. So, I am planning to place them really on a bookcase, like Ikea Expedit. It has a total height of 149cm, but I'm not sure if Opus would fit between the shelves. Another question can be related with performance when placed inside a bookcase.



By the way, are there any Opus 2-M1 users around..? Would be pleased to hear any comments.

Cheers,
cfiliz is offline  
post #745 of 1365 Old 03-16-2010, 01:18 AM
Senior Member
 
boulderdashcci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canton, Ma
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wouldn't recommend placing them on a shelf, since they really should be away from the walls. What I'd do is look for the heaviest stands you can get (with mass loading), use carpet spikes, and use BluTak or something similar (adhesive putty) to hold the speaker to the stand. When all is said and done you should be around or over 100lbs, which shouldn't easily be knocked over. Your dealer should be able to give you some recommendations on what to do here, but I'd bet he'll tell you not to put them in the bookcase. If you absolutely must, look for a front ported speaker instead (but these still need to be away from walls to perform their best, so it still won't be ideal).

I'm not familiar with Monitor Audio's lines so I'm not sure what the equivalent of theirs would be.

There was a guy who was using M1s as surrounds a few pages back. He posted some very nice pictures along with some random items to show size comparison, and indeed they are quite a big speaker. The M2s are even bigger, though they use a wider enclosure since they have a 7" woofer so they're a little more proportionate.
boulderdashcci is offline  
post #746 of 1365 Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 AM
Newbie
 
cfiliz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Turkey
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

I wouldn't recommend placing them on a shelf, since they really should be away from the walls. What I'd do is look for the heaviest stands you can get (with mass loading), use carpet spikes, and use BluTak or something similar (adhesive putty) to hold the speaker to the stand. When all is said and done you should be around or over 100lbs, which shouldn't easily be knocked over. Your dealer should be able to give you some recommendations on what to do here, but I'd bet he'll tell you not to put them in the bookcase. If you absolutely must, look for a front ported speaker instead (but these still need to be away from walls to perform their best, so it still won't be ideal).

I'm not familiar with Monitor Audio's lines so I'm not sure what the equivalent of theirs would be.

There was a guy who was using M1s as surrounds a few pages back. He posted some very nice pictures along with some random items to show size comparison, and indeed they are quite a big speaker. The M2s are even bigger, though they use a wider enclosure since they have a 7" woofer so they're a little more proportionate.

Yes, that seem to be a problem. As far as I understand, even 20cm is given as minimum, 70 cm is generally recommended by users. In this case, I will look for heavy stand, as you mentioned.
cfiliz is offline  
post #747 of 1365 Old 03-16-2010, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
soulrider4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County, NY
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, got my speakers in, I'm slightly upset for the following reasons

1) Grill pegs falling off / getting stuck in speakers
2) Non matching serial numbers, I have 0003R and 0002R, shouldn't it be 0003L and 0003R?
3) 1 broken carpet spike, so I've taken off all of the spikes/feet for now, didn't seem to affect the sound too much, but it could have.

On the up side they are a great clean clear sounding speaker with loads of bass that is tight/fast and create a huge soundstage.
soulrider4ever is offline  
post #748 of 1365 Old 03-16-2010, 06:58 AM
Member
 
ironbadge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: MD
Posts: 166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

You can also get the 8.3, the floorstanding version of the 8.2, for $209. You'll gain a bit of extension, but maybe lose some control due to the larger enclosure.

Hi!

I read some about the 8.3, and I think it might be better to get the 8.3, sort of 8.2 with stand, because we don't really place the "bookshelf" speaker on any bookshelf. The specs of the 8.3, besides size, shows it can come down to 40Hz, a bit lower than the 8.2. One thing I dislike is the sand stuff. We do not fill the 8.2 with sand, don't we? With the 8.3, does it make noticeable difference?

Thanks & Regards,
iB.

______________________________________
My stuff: Sony B-R, Pioneer LD, PS-LX300USB, DVD-S1800BL, RX-A1030, NHT Absolute Towers, NHT Absolute Zeroes, Pinnacle center & surrounds, VTF-2 MK4, MBM-12 MK2, Samsung 36 something
Our stuff: Sony BDPS5200, AVR-790, Infinity Primus 363s, Energy Take center & surrounds, Klipsch SW-350, Pinnacle Subcompact8, LG LB5900
ironbadge is offline  
post #749 of 1365 Old 03-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
soulrider4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Orange County, NY
Posts: 682
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Initial impressions -

PROS
Amazingly smooth sound
Extremely clear and detailed
Non fatiguing at all, not even a hint
Musical and Warm sounding
Whopping bass, drums sound very realistic
Vocals are incredibly detailed and life like
Large soundstage
Non analytical (pro if you don't like that I guess)
Imaging height / depth are all there

The 'air' around the instruments is there, however, my room isn't treated that well so a lot of that is lost. I can tell as I move about the room certain air I hear in different places, so I'm trying to still find that sweet spot in position.

I think I'll need to get a pair of XPA-1s to try to get those suttle nuances more apparent.

CONS
In comparison to the Mirage OMD's they don't envelop you quite the same, however, it's not really designed to. Still has a solid off axis SQ however. I would say they produce a cleaner sound than the OMD's did however.

PITA to move around they are 90lbs each and with carpet spikes it's brutal. I ended up removing the spikes as I still want to play around with the positioning.

Need a lot of space between the speakers to keep imaging/soundstage in a sweetspot. 8-10 feet apart at least.

Kind of picky with positioning / toe in it seems, at least in my room.

I honestly feel like the XPA-2 isn't enough of an amp for these; it powers them fine, but it's not getting enough subtle / low level micro details that I was hoping to hear.
soulrider4ever is offline  
post #750 of 1365 Old 03-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Member
 
Jidonsu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

Ok, got my speakers in, I'm slightly upset for the following reasons

1) Grill pegs falling off / getting stuck in speakers
2) Non matching serial numbers, I have 0003R and 0002R, shouldn't it be 0003L and 0003R?
3) 1 broken carpet spike, so I've taken off all of the spikes/feet for now, didn't seem to affect the sound too much, but it could have.

On the up side they are a great clean clear sounding speaker with loads of bass that is tight/fast and create a huge soundstage.

The R actually stands for Rosewood, but the serials should match. I finally got my matched speaker and that stain/grain is nearly identical.

Did the carpet spike actually break?
Jidonsu is offline  
Reply Speakers

Tags
Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish
Gear in this thread - Sp870 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off