Wharfedale Owners Thread - Page 35 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1021 of 1296 Old 10-24-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So my UPA 5 arrived and I was finally able to set it up. Well, mostly as I haven't run Audyssey on the new setup yet.

It did cause me a bit on angst though, as both the Onkyo 805 and UPA wouldn't go on the stand together. So I had to do a complete re-org of my HTC bits. This kind of sucks, as the 805 isn't in the open air anymore, but I do have a fan that runs on top of it.

The wife has just mentioned that she may be going out, so maybe the Audyssey setup can be run now.

I will say, though, although I was only using the previous setup, the front sound stage did sound more open to me. Could that be wishful thinking. Maybe....

I have bi-wired the fronts by using a 1 - 2 RCA connector and 4 of the 5 channels of the amps. The centre got the last channel to itself.

Seggers

No idea if these pictures are working or not....
LL
LL

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1022 of 1296 Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You should definitely be able to crank it up now if you want! Audyssey would primarily just change the levels. But I would think you should get better sound overall, bigger soundstage.
post #1023 of 1296 Old 10-25-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post

So my UPA 5 arrived and I was finally able to set it up. Well, mostly as I haven't run Audyssey on the new setup yet.

It did cause me a bit on angst though, as both the Onkyo 805 and UPA wouldn't go on the stand together. So I had to do a complete re-org of my HTC bits. This kind of sucks, as the 805 isn't in the open air anymore, but I do have a fan that runs on top of it.

The wife has just mentioned that she may be going out, so maybe the Audyssey setup can be run now.

I will say, though, although I was only using the previous setup, the front sound stage did sound more open to me. Could that be wishful thinking. Maybe....

I have bi-wired the fronts by using a 1 - 2 RCA connector and 4 of the 5 channels of the amps. The centre got the last channel to itself.

Seggers

No idea if these pictures are working or not....

Definitely like the cleaned up look of your new setup. Looks like your Onkyo has plenty of breathe space too
post #1024 of 1296 Old 10-25-2010, 12:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonf View Post

Definitely like the cleaned up look of your new setup. Looks like your Onkyo has plenty of breathe space too

I must admit I do too. As much as I like the Wii, I didn't like the fact that the wife hijacked the clear shelf and made it all messy....

I did do the sound setup, including using my ratshack SPL. I had to bring the levels back up in order to get the back to 75, except for the sub. Poor thing, I had dialed it back into about the 33% region and the SPL still said it was north of 80dB. Still, I like a little shake, rattle and roll....

I haven't really run the 805 for any length of time there. It does have one of those suck (as in from the unit) fans, it is clear left and right and there is a fair bit of room above, so I'm not going into utter blind panic mode just yet.

I will have to run it for a while and risk some fingers on the hand to see how warm it actually is.

I still think that the sound stage has opened up. I did set the Tivo to BS to the 805 as well. I have yet to stick in a decent BD (like Hitman) and crank it up...

Seggers

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #1025 of 1296 Old 10-29-2010, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, looking at buying some new bookshelf speakers and the Evo2-8's and 10's are on my short list. I love the curved cabinets, which is why I'm also considering Paradigm Studio 10's and Era D5's. Can anyone compare the Wharfedale's to those two speakers?

Also, with respect to the Rosewood finish -- is it more red than brown, or vice versa? I'm looking for a dark wood finish that's more brown, but the photos I've seen make the Wharfedale's seem more reddish....

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #1026 of 1296 Old 10-29-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post

Hey guys, looking at buying some new bookshelf speakers and the Evo2-8's and 10's are on my short list. I love the curved cabinets, which is why I'm also considering Paradigm Studio 10's and Era D5's. Can anyone compare the Wharfedale's to those two speakers?

Also, with respect to the Rosewood finish -- is it more red than brown, or vice versa? I'm looking for a dark wood finish that's more brown, but the photos I've seen make the Wharfedale's seem more reddish....

I have matching Rosewood Evo (1) setup and it's more red than brown. Don't think that Wharfedale ever did a 'brown' wood colour. There's a pine (yellow) type colour or black.

Actually, if you scroll back a bit, I have a pic where you can see the corner of one of my Evo 40 towers.

Seggers

post #1027 of 1296 Old 10-29-2010, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Anyone know where I can lay my hands on a PowerCube DX12 sub?

I'd really like to finish the set off (have an all matching setup) and retire my Definitive 1500TL sub.

I don't seem to be able to find these things in the US.

Seggers

post #1028 of 1296 Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM

Liked: 11
They have a brown walnut finish on the new Evo Sigs as well as the Diamond 9.1 limited edition. The high end Airedales also have a walnut finish.

About the sub, call Bob at Sound Import. From what I've read he can order anything.

(508) 422-9788
post #1029 of 1296 Old 10-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_rider View Post

I've heard the Paradigms, an earlier version I think a couple years ago and they were very good. I chose the Evo's though. I thought the Evo's were smoother and sounded great. Also compared the Evo's directly to some Dynaudio's and something else I can't remember and Evo's were definitely the better sounding speaker to me.
post #1030 of 1296 Old 11-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info guys. Does anyone know where I might find some Evo2's to audition in Colorado? The only dealer near me doesn't have them (only Opus and Diamond series)...

LSA One Monitors, LSA LCR Center, LSA On Wall surrounds, dual Hsu VTF-3 subs, Denon AVR-X4000, Adcom GFA-6000 amp, UTurn Orbit turntable
post #1031 of 1296 Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Oh, mean to ask -- has anyone seen or heard of the "Piano Cherry" finish? Found a pair on Ebay and they look gorgeous, but I don't see them on Wharfedale's website.

post #1032 of 1296 Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 PM

They're made for the Asian market (they have a gloss birds-eye maple and I think piano black too), I think only available by special order here if at all. STO has a pair right now in that cherry, not sure how they got them.
post #1033 of 1296 Old 11-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Soooo tempted to order those even having never heard them! Damn my dealer for not having any Evos! Would I be able to get an Evo center in that finish?

Added another speaker to my list -- the AAD Silver-1. New it's too pricey but you can find them used well under a grand... Anyone heard them before?

post #1034 of 1296 Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM

You'd probably have a hard time getting an Evo center at all, never mind in that finish lol.
post #1035 of 1296 Old 11-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderdashcci View Post

You'd probably have a hard time getting an Evo center at all, never mind in that finish lol.

Are they that hard to find? Pretty sure I've seen them on eBay???

post #1036 of 1296 Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Wildwest might have them, but I've never seen them on STO. The only time I've ever seen them on eBay that I can recall was international. That finish will be difficult to find though...black would probably be easier and shouldn't stick out too much (or maybe I should say it will make the 8s stand out more).
post #1037 of 1296 Old 11-04-2010, 06:28 AM

Question about speakers for Prologic IIz.

I have a set of DFS-18s which I hope to use with my new Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR. I've read quite a bit about Dolby ProLogic IIz and I'd like to try this out. Do you think the Diffuse Field Surrounds will work as PLIIz front height speakers or should I rather use them as normal surrounds (at the back but configured as surrounds)?

If I can't use the DFS speakers for front highs, what other speaker would you recommend? I have access to Amber, Crystal2/3 and Diamond 10s.

Your input is appreciated.
post #1038 of 1296 Old 11-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagenuts View Post

Question about speakers for Prologic IIz.

I have a set of DFS-18s which I hope to use with my new Onkyo TX-SR608 AVR. I've read quite a bit about Dolby ProLogic IIz and I'd like to try this out. Do you think the Diffuse Field Surrounds will work as PLIIz front height speakers or should I rather use them as normal surrounds (at the back but configured as surrounds)?

If I can't use the DFS speakers for front highs, what other speaker would you recommend? I have access to Amber, Crystal2/3 and Diamond 10s.

Your input is appreciated.

I use 3 prs of Diamond 8 DFS for my wides, sides and rears, not sure how much diff are they from the DFS-18, since they all look alike from the outside. I think the diamond 9.SR would be a good match for them.
post #1039 of 1296 Old 11-05-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post

I use 3 prs of Diamond 8 DFS for my wides, sides and rears, not sure how much diff are they from the DFS-18, since they all look alike from the outside. I think the diamond 9.SR would be a good match for them.

Thanks richardyc, I will look at these.
post #1040 of 1296 Old 11-23-2010, 06:15 PM

Been reading through the various threads and thought I'd throw in some viewpoints and get some feedback -- particularly with a dedicated amp powering Opus 2-2's. I've read opinions on receiver-only power to drive stereo/surround speakers and was curious if there truely was a notable difference.

Hmmm.

Wasn't really sure what to expect with a separate amp for the setup, but I added a Parasound Halo A52 to juice the Opus 2-2's and was instantly impressed. There are those who note that "..one can't tell the difference...". Yeah, well, I did right away. I guess these need some dedicated power, and a dedicated amp will make one a believer. Even the wife noticed a change in accuracy, placement, and "legibility" (her words, not mine). While the new sound is deep with cleaner bass and clarity, it's also a bit bright and forward. Typically these are very warm speakers that are more cozy than harsh, but now they want to get noticed. Is it better than before? Yup. But is it as warm? Nope. Airy? Well... Detailed? Oh yeah. Clearer? Yessir.

So what gives? Just to compare I added an older Yamaha as a pre-amp. Yikes. 'Nuf said for the Yamaha.

I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX-74 as a pre-amp, so I am wondering if it's that or the amp. I want to believe it's the Pioneer so I can keep the bug alive and justify an A/V unit. After a Pioneer/Yamaha comaro I'm pretty sure that a different A/V processor will do the trick.

So now I need an A/V Processor that has the latest codecs for 2K or less that will pair well with Wharfedale Opus and Parasound. Anyone using a Halo to power some Wharfedale Opus speakers? Anyone?
post #1041 of 1296 Old 11-26-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubalj View Post

Been reading through the various threads and thought I'd throw in some viewpoints and get some feedback -- particularly with a dedicated amp powering Opus 2-2's. I've read opinions on receiver-only power to drive stereo/surround speakers and was curious if there truely was a notable difference.

Hmmm.

Wasn't really sure what to expect with a separate amp for the setup, but I added a Parasound Halo A52 to juice the Opus 2-2's and was instantly impressed. There are those who note that "..one can't tell the difference...". Yeah, well, I did right away. I guess these need some dedicated power, and a dedicated amp will make one a believer. Even the wife noticed a change in accuracy, placement, and "legibility" (her words, not mine). While the new sound is deep with cleaner bass and clarity, it's also a bit bright and forward. Typically these are very warm speakers that are more cozy than harsh, but now they want to get noticed. Is it better than before? Yup. But is it as warm? Nope. Airy? Well... Detailed? Oh yeah. Clearer? Yessir.

So what gives? Just to compare I added an older Yamaha as a pre-amp. Yikes. 'Nuf said for the Yamaha.

I am using a Pioneer Elite VSX-74 as a pre-amp, so I am wondering if it's that or the amp. I want to believe it's the Pioneer so I can keep the bug alive and justify an A/V unit. After a Pioneer/Yamaha comaro I'm pretty sure that a different A/V processor will do the trick.

So now I need an A/V Processor that has the latest codecs for 2K or less that will pair well with Wharfedale Opus and Parasound. Anyone using a Halo to power some Wharfedale Opus speakers? Anyone?

Welcome to the world of subtle but hearable differences in sound from the various electronics. A good preamp will make a big difference with these speakers, My setup I decided music was the most important and use a Vincent pre amp and amp, that are hybrid (part tube). For the surround I just bought a cheap Pioneer ($40) receiver on craigs list along with a blu ray player that already has all the codecs built in and it still sounds great along with good bass management with the receiver. The music system sounds like liquid velvet if there is such a sound description
LL
post #1042 of 1296 Old 12-04-2010, 08:15 PM

I currently own a pair of Emerald 9.1 for the front of 5.1 setup
and Modus Music Center for the center.

This may seem like a stupid question and I know it is subjective, but....

Are these any good? If I were to replace them how much would I need to spend to get better quality speakers? Such as? Thanks.
post #1043 of 1296 Old 12-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgroff View Post

I currently own a pair of Emerald 9.1 for the front of 5.1 setup
and Modus Music Center for the center.

This may seem like a stupid question and I know it is subjective, but....

Are these any good? If I were to replace them how much would I need to spend to get better quality speakers? Such as? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure those speakers are the most entry level speakers Wharfedale makes, I would highly recommend at a minimum going to the Diamond series, but if you can budget more, go EVOII or OPUSII.
post #1044 of 1296 Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Thx
post #1045 of 1296 Old 12-11-2010, 10:01 PM

After some research I decided that I wanted some 8.2a's for Christmas so hopefully I'll get them. All reviews seemed to be very positive and they look great. It came down to the 8.2a and KRK RP5 and the 8.2a's won by a hair. I'll be using them on my desk with my computer via a USB DAC (Gamma y1 lite).

Anybody in here have experience with 8.2a they'd like to share? How would they compare to the RP5s?
post #1046 of 1296 Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

I'm pretty sure those speakers are the most entry level speakers Wharfedale makes, I would highly recommend at a minimum going to the Diamond series, but if you can budget more, go EVOII or OPUSII.

Not to rain on your parade, but everything I have come across seems to indicate the emerald line was above the diamond line. I cannot find any reviews for the emerald 91 (mostly just the 97). Either loved or hated.

Can any Wharfedale Emerald owners chime in? Like I started this, what speakers would be a marked improvement over the Emerald 91s and the Modus Center?
post #1047 of 1296 Old 12-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not to rain on your parade, but everything I have come across seems to indicate the emerald line was above the diamond line. I cannot find any reviews for the emerald 91 (mostly just the 97). Either loved or hated.

Can any Wharfedale Emerald owners chime in? Like I started this, what speakers would be a marked improvement over the Emerald 91s and the Modus Center?
Don't sweat it man, you aren't raining on anyone's parade - I'm just as interested to find out now as you are. It's odd I can't find any info on that line on Wharfedale's website at all.
post #1048 of 1296 Old 12-15-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider4ever View Post

Don't sweat it man, you aren't raining on anyone's parade - I'm just as interested to find out now as you are. It's odd I can't find any info on that line on Wharfedale's website at all.

For what it is worth, I found this

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...aradigm+sub+15

Talks about emerald being above average speaker. Below the EVO line (but so is the Diamond)

And this
"Fast forward 2 decades to the late 1990's and early 00's, and you see that the idea of the traditional British mini-monitor never went away, where as the E-series were enthusiastically praised in small circles of people in the know. At this time, I had an after school job working for a small, local hi-fi and HT shop that sold what were to most people in the area high-end gear: Denon, Wharfedale, h/k, Audio Source, and so on. At this time, Wharfedale had several product ranges, all equally as cluttered. In the high-end were the excellent Emeralds, and the low-end was filled with the Atlantics (the successor to Valdus). Smack in-between was the Sapphire line.
"

from
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=65198

Still wondering what it would cost to improve over my current set-up. I realize it is subjective, but for lack of better words, I find something missing in my current set-up and would like to "up-grade" if the cost is reasonable. My suspicion is the Modus Center and not necessarily the Emerald 91s. Not sure if the Diamond Series Center will resolve this.
post #1049 of 1296 Old 12-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

I would just grab this http://cgi.ebay.com/Wharfedale-Evo-E...item255f9b42a2

EVO center for $145
post #1050 of 1296 Old 12-17-2010, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I own 2 pairs of the Emerald 97 towers in Walnut. Best Audio purchase I ever made. People still compliment the sound of my system to this day. The Mid-Woofer pushes air down to 40Hz so the design is really a 2 1/2 way. I have not heard the Emerald 91 bookshelf but have heard the somewhat larger Emerald 93 and the small Emerald 95 tower. All of the original Emerald line was produced in the mid/late '90s and early '00s. I believe the Modus series is also in this time-frame. All of the Emeralds, no matter the cabinet design/size shared the same drivers and composition types with only a few minor modifications during their run. The biggest and last in the series Emerald 99 had larger woofers though. I had the EM Center but replaced it with a Polk CS2, a terrific CC often on ridiculous sale at NewEgg. It matches very well with the Emerald drivers.

If I were you and wanted to stay with Wharfedale and get a 'significant' upgrade (YMMV), I would move to EVO line or if budget allows, the Opus. But it sounds to me like you really just need to upgrade the CC.

My life is an open book...wish I could read it and have it make sense.

Reply Speakers

Tags
Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page