Wharfedale Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1297 Old 01-20-2007, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Was going to pull the trigger on the Ascend 170s untill I came across a article concerning the Wharfdale Diamond 8.1 gd words I read on them I also notice theirs a bigger one 8.2 went to amazon.com darn gd price save myself 150.00 bucks If I get those over the Ascends,I havent heard either one Help....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1297 Old 01-22-2007, 12:50 PM

Well the system has been recalibrated and in use now for a while. I'm happy with music but to be honest I still think a different CC might have been a better choice - I still can't hear voices too clearly. Maybe it is just the crappy sound mixing but I don't know.

I think next time I will go for a less laid-back sounding system.

Oh, yeah I also got DSotM on DVD-A (you know, the infamous bootleg circulating these days) and WOW. Amazing. I need to get some new surrounds!

I have sound equipment.
post #93 of 1297 Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agendrano View Post

I am considering getting the Evo 10, Evo Center and Evo 8 for my HT and audio setup.

I will be using it on our bedroom (small room with lower than normal ceiling, converted attic).

The dealer in our area only have the Evo 40, though I have also heard the Evo 30. They have to order the Evo 10 and 8 and I will be buying them without auditioning!

I really like the sound of the Evo 30, though I do not want to get it because of the small room that I will be using.

How different is the sound of the Evo 10 compared to the 30?

I will be using my Denon 1804 for my HT and KT88 Push Pull tube amp for my audio.

Thanks.

Got the Evo 10 and it is great with my Denon 1804.

Connecting my KT88 tube amp, the vocals are to die for, soundstage is great and I do not even need my subwoofer for two channel audio.

Worth every cent I paid for it.'

Got the Evo center too, but I was not avle to get the Evo 8 (out of stock) so I am using my WH2 for surround.
post #94 of 1297 Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 AM

im interested in the opus (1,2) line...has anybody done any comparisons to higher end offerings from other manufacturers? im interested in comparisons with dynaudio (which i currently have - 52se) or any speakers that you have compared with the opus and why you eventually ended up with the opus. Thanks in advance...
post #95 of 1297 Old 02-02-2007, 06:47 AM

lvis - send Tauwan da Bomb and PM, I know he has listened to a lot of different speakers and he gives the Opus very favorable comments.

Agendrano - try www.ayselectronics.com for the Evo 8s.

http://ayselectronics.com/index.php?...roducts_id=964

I need to figure out if the bookshelf or surround speakers are the right choices for my 4 surrounds. How do you decide?

I have sound equipment.
post #96 of 1297 Old 02-02-2007, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

I listened to the B&W 804S quite extensively and compared to my Opus 1 and thought the Opus 1 sounded just a little better overall. I particularly like female voices better on the Opus speakers. Music in general was very good on both. Guitar, piano, violin, cello all sound very good. But the B&W's go for around $4k or so. The Opus speakers are a very nice sounding and attractive speaker in the $2k or so price range. The black and rosewood piano finishes both look very nice. I also listened to several others before buying - Kef IQ series, Klipsch, NHT & a couple others.
post #97 of 1297 Old 02-02-2007, 10:27 AM

agendrano, did you compare the evo 10s to any B&W bookshelf speaker? I'm especially curious how they sound compared to the B&W CM1.
post #98 of 1297 Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvis View Post

im interested in the opus (1,2) line...has anybody done any comparisons to higher end offerings from other manufacturers? im interested in comparisons with dynaudio (which i currently have - 52se) or any speakers that you have compared with the opus and why you eventually ended up with the opus. Thanks in advance...

You can click on the number of people who voted for Opus 2 in my poll and see who voted. Many have posted in this thread. 9 voted for it as opposed to 40 for the B&W 703. I preferred Opus, but I did not hear them side by side. Right now, however, I don't think anyone can beat the old Opus line for the price.
post #99 of 1297 Old 02-06-2007, 11:24 AM

Hi all,

I would love to audition some Wharfedales because of all of the things I've read about them and because they are some nice looking speakers.
Unfortunately, there are no dealers to be found anywhere near where I live.
I have been looking at the Evo 30s and the Opus 1s. Can anyone describe the characteristics of each one? I'm looking for a pair for 2 channel music only, in a relatively small room (12'x11'x8').
Based on that info, are there any recommendations?
I've listened to KEF IQ5 and 9, Paradigm Studio 60, Focal 716V, 816V, Totem Arros, B&W 603 S3, Rega 3s, PSB Image 65s, and Boston Acoustics VR2 and 3. All of them had some nice characteristics, but none of them made me say "Wow, those are it!". And for the record, the KEFs were the only ones where I knew immediately that I did not like them. No disrespect to KEF. They just weren't my to my taste.
Anyway, I listed these in case any descriptions included comparisons and/or similarities.
Thanks.
post #100 of 1297 Old 02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

I don't know if anyone can compare the Opus 1's to the Evos. But I can tell you about the Opus 1 in general. I also listened to several of the speakers you did, Kef IQ, Paradigm, B&W, BA as well as Klipsch, NHT and a couple others. None of them seemed worthwhile to me and then I heard the Wharfedale Diamonds, I really liked their sound. The dealer here though didn't carry the Opus because he said most people wanted an under $1000 set of speakers. So I took a chance and got the Opus 1. I figured if they sounded a little better than the Diamonds it would be worth it. The Diamonds are good, but the Opus is definitely a step above. To me they sound great and voices sound better than most speakers I've heard anywhere. Music is detailed without any harshness. They also quite transparent and if you make some equipment changes you'll hear it on the Opus. Soundstage is very good as well and their very attractive to look at. I always say speakers are as much furniture as they are stereo components and looks and size are extremely important. Mine are in a 13'x15' room. I didn't know anything about Wharfedale 3 months ago. I had heard of them before but wasn't familiar with them. But the more I listen the more I am impressed. I use them for my home theater too and am getting the Opus center as well. I'm also thinking about getting the Opus 3's instead. My old sub has a problem and the Opus 3 has larger woofers that can compensate more for my subs inadequacies during movies. Don't really need the sub for 2 channel listening though.
post #101 of 1297 Old 02-06-2007, 05:06 PM

Dakar, what receivers/amps are you using? Do you think you'll upgrade to drive the 300w Opus 3?

I don't know what I'll do if I upgrade to Opus. I just got my HK AVR 645, and I know it's not enough power. I was thinking of maybe adding a 2 channel Rotel or Sunfire amp.
post #102 of 1297 Old 02-06-2007, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if this helps, but I can give you a list of amplifiers that my Opus 2 (and all Opus Series speakers) absolutely love and sound simply beautiful with; all at varying prices.

The Quad 909 amplifier (solid state amp)

The Butler Audio TDB 2250 ( Vacuume Tube Hybrid amp)

The Van Alstine Ultra Fet 350 or 550 (Tube Hybrid amps)

The Rega Exon 3 Monoblock amps (solid state amps)

The McIntosh MC252 (solid state amp) (Wharfedale Opus series and McIntosh amps are wonderful match)

The Odyssey Audio Mono Extremes (solid state amps)

The Moscode 401HR Vacuume Tube Hybrid amp

Gemstone Blue Diamond amps

Then of course there are the extremely expensive amps from........

Lamm and Manley which are amazingly beuatiful matches for the Opus, as well as being amazingly expensive.

With the Opus Series, the better gear you have driving them, the better they sound and perform.
post #103 of 1297 Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 View Post

I don't know if this helps, but I can give you a list of amplifiers that my Opus 2 (and all Opus Series speakers) absolutely love and sound simply beautiful with; all at varying prices.

The Quad 909 amplifier (solid state amp)

The Butler Audio TDB 2250 ( Vacuume Tube Hybrid amp)

The Van Alstine Ultra Fet 350 or 550 (Tube Hybrid amps)

The Rega Exon 3 Monoblock amps (solid state amps)

The McIntosh MC252 (solid state amp) (Wharfedale Opus series and McIntosh amps are wonderful match)

The Odyssey Audio Mono Extremes (solid state amps)

The Moscode 401HR Vacuume Tube Hybrid amp

Gemstone Blue Diamond amps

Then of course there are the extremely expensive amps from........

Lamm and Manley which are amazingly beuatiful matches for the Opus, as well as being amazingly expensive.

With the Opus Series, the better gear you have driving them, the better they sound and perform.

How many of these amps have you actually heard the Opus on, because the AVA Ultra Fet 550 is on my mind big time!
post #104 of 1297 Old 02-07-2007, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb View Post

How many of these amps have you actually heard the Opus on, because the AVA Ultra Fet 550 is on my mind big time!

I 've had personal, ears-on experience with the following amps with the Opus 2 & 3:

I own the Butler TDB 2250 and it has been driving my Opus 2 for almost a year. Beautiful match.....simply beautiful!

I spent a few hours listening to the Van Alstine Ultra 550, driving a pair of Opus 3 at an audio friend's house. He actually borrowed it from a friend of his, for the listening session. I can't say enough about how wonderful this amp is. I'm saving to get one for when I get my second pair of Opus 2 (version 2).

I had a brief listening session with the McIntosh MC252 and the Opus 2; after a fellow Opus 1 owner (who later upgraded to the Opus 2), auditioned this amp at a dealer's store (with the Opus 3) and raved about the synergy with these two. I was floored! Talk about sweet, musical and emotional? Then, you're talking about the MC252 and Opus 2 (with the McIntosh C220 Pre Amp) !!!! This combo is my ultimate 2-channel goal for my Opus 2. Eventually I will buy these two pieces (for my home office) and then let the TDB 2250 and Ultra 550 battle it out , with one going either in my HT system in the living room, and the other into the dining room system.

I also spent a few hours with the Odyssey Audio Mono Extremes and Opus 2 in my home. Thanks to a generous friend who went through a lot of trouble and brough them over, to hook up to my Opus 2. Wonderful match !!! But I liked the Butler TDB 2250 better, so I went with the TDB 2250.

The Quad 909. I only had a 15-20 minute listen with this amp and the Opus 2. I was running late and ran into major traffic getting to the audition and had to be getting back. But I was very impressed with what I did here. Amazing little amp!

The rest of the suggestions were from other Opus series owners, from accross the country who auditioned those other amps and whom I have either talked to on the phone; or exchanged e-mails with.
post #105 of 1297 Old 02-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

I've used more general amps with the Opus 1's. First I was using my old Adcom 555 with my Yamaha 2700 receiver as pre/pro. That sounded very good actually. I also connected to my old Adcom GTP 500 pre that I had sitting in a box for the past several years. The Adcom combo actually brought out the impressive soundstage these speakers posses. However shortly after that I sold the Adcom gear and then got a used Rotel 1066 and was bridging to 3x150 and still using the Yamaha as pre. That sounded good but was lacking a little. It was more to do with Yamaha I think than the amp. So I decided I wanted more power and sold the Rotel and tried a B&K 4420 at 225 watts/2 ch. While I was waiting for that I was just using the Yamaha rec. amp. Just using the receiver actually sounded pretty good as well. When I put the B&K on it the bass was noticeably better and the highs seemed a little less harsh at higher volumes. The B&K is a little laid back though but I actually like that. The other thing with an amp is the music seems fuller at low volumes compared to just the receiver.

Since I use my system as 50% music and 50% tv & movies, I decided I would just as well get a multi channel amp. I also want to go back to separates so I can get the amp now and a pre/pro later. I tried a new Rotel 1095 5 ch/200 watt amp and that did sound very good but it had some kind of electrical issue so I took that back to the dealer within a week. So now I'm running the speakers off the Yamaha again and it still sounds very good. I've been listening to several CD's and also XM radio and am still impressed with the sound. The Opus 1's sound great from the receiver and I should be happy with it. But I was able to get a really good deal on an almost brand new NAD M25 amp. This amp is very conservatively rated at 160 watts/7 channels at 8 ohm (is really more like 180 watts). However NAD amps with their Powerdrive system are able to deliver a lot more than their rated power when it's needed so this should perform like a higher powered amp. However I don't have it yet, I probably won't receive it until Monday or so. But I'll let you know how it sounds. Like I said, I will sell the Yamaha eventually (not for awhile though) and get a dedicated pre/pro. But I'll have my amp all ready for it. I've had 4 receivers in past 15 years but have always had at least a 2 channel amp as well.
So, yes you can run the Wharfedale Opus speakers from a good receiver. A good preamp and amp however will make them sound better (richer, fuller, better bass) in most cases.
post #106 of 1297 Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Has anyone used the opus tri surrounds are they nice? also will they go with my setup i have evo 30's and 8's as surrounds also evo center

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
post #107 of 1297 Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hey folks, I have a pair of Mint 1985 Wharfedale Mach 5, I am the original owner and they sound as good as the day I bought them!
They have been replaced by my new Klipsch RF-83's.

PM me if you want them, Waterloo, ON, Canada, local pickup only!
post #108 of 1297 Old 02-07-2007, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

dakar80124,

I'm very interested in hearing your opinions and results with that NAD M25.

Please feel free to share
post #109 of 1297 Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoney80 View Post

Has anyone used the opus tri surrounds are they nice? also will they go with my setup i have evo 30's and 8's as surrounds also evo center

Personally, I think the Opus Tri-Surrounds suck. I think they are the sole flop and blunder in the Opus Series.

The one time I heard them I was not impressed whatsoever. Although, they are extremely finicky for placement. But I've had other guys express very similar opinions about the Tri-Surrounds and they spent much more time with them than I did. Spoke with one guy who absolutely loves his Opus 2 and Opus Center Channel, but was very disappointed in the Tri-Surrounds. He got rid of them and bought Evo 10 as his rears.
post #110 of 1297 Old 02-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryukyu View Post

Hi all,

I would love to audition some Wharfedales because of all of the things I've read about them and because they are some nice looking speakers.
Unfortunately, there are no dealers to be found anywhere near where I live.
I have been looking at the Evo 30s and the Opus 1s. Can anyone describe the characteristics of each one? I'm looking for a pair for 2 channel music only, in a relatively small room (12'x11'x8'). Based on that info, are there any recommendations?

Before purchasing my Opus 2's almost 3 years ago I listened to a pair of Evo 40's versus Opus 2's in the dealers listening room. They were driven by Macintosh amps. I forget the player but I was only using regular CD's (not DVD Audio or SACD). From the material I had and listened to the Evos sounded a bit different than the Opus. Vocals tended to sound noticeably thinner and less rich then on the Opus. Piano sounded much better on the Opus, more lifelike. Bass reproduction was also noticeably better on the Opus. Drums seemed to come across better also on the Opus. Not like the Evo's were "bad" just not as good sounding as the Opus 2. I was going to buy the Evo's originally until I heard them stacked against the Opus right in front of me. I had the coin so went with the Opus 2 and have never regretted my purchase.
post #111 of 1297 Old 02-07-2007, 12:36 PM

How about the EVO series DFS? I think I may upgrade to the Opus center later this year or at least try it and see if it improves my current EVO setup. Of course it wouldn't hurt to fix my room a bit more, it is concrete floor & ceilings which makes for some "nice" acoustics.

I have sound equipment.
post #112 of 1297 Old 02-07-2007, 03:29 PM

I have the Evo DFS, but I can't adequately evaluate them because of the messed up layout of my apartment. The right rear is up high on the rear wall in a corner above a cd rack, next to a hallway. I couldn't place the left rear in a compatible position because there is no wall there -- the room extends into the kitchen. So it's against the side wall. They are meant to be near a corner so the sound bounces properly.

Evo DFS are difficult to test because they're meant to disperse sounds and effects so that they don't seem to come directly from the speaker. I think they would sound best in a 7.1 setup, with Evo 8 or 10 on the sides. They must work well for someone, as Wharfedale isn't the only one that uses that design. When I move hopefully I'll have a better space to make it work.
post #113 of 1297 Old 02-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous View Post

I have the Evo DFS, but I can't adequately evaluate them because of the messed up layout of my apartment. The right rear is up high on the rear wall in a corner above a cd rack, next to a hallway. I couldn't place the left rear in a compatible position because there is no wall there -- the room extends into the kitchen. So it's against the side wall. They are meant to be near a corner so the sound bounces properly.

Evo DFS are difficult to test because they're meant to disperse sounds and effects so that they don't seem to come directly from the speaker. I think they would sound best in a 7.1 setup, with Evo 8 or 10 on the sides. They must work well for someone, as Wharfedale isn't the only one that uses that design. When I move hopefully I'll have a better space to make it work.

I'm in the same postion you are; odd apartment layout. I am currently using a single DFS about 4 foot behind the primary seating position with 8's on the sides, 40's for fronts and EVO center. Really does not sound bad. Hope to move in the near future and be able to set up a proper 7.1 system with both DFS's in the rear. BTW, I do not find the EVO center to be as weak as others claim although I am not an expert at this.
post #114 of 1297 Old 02-14-2007, 06:11 AM

I started a new thread to talk about Amps for Opus, consolidating all the amps I've seen mentioned by Opus owners in various forums the past couple months, and questions about 7 channels, mono blocks and bi-wiring.
post #115 of 1297 Old 02-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone ever heard the Wharfedale Pro series? Such as the Twin X Monitors? I was wondering how these might work as surrounds?

http://www.wharfedalepro.com/frames/...ker.twinx.html
post #116 of 1297 Old 03-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

I picked up a new pair of Evo2-10's for $500 that I'm want to use for my rears (unless I sell them). If anyone's interested they have more pair left in black. He also has some Evo2-20's in maple for half price.

Sold my Opus 1's. Deciding what to get but am leaning toward getting the Opus 2's, which is kind of what I wanted to begin with. Every other speakers I've looked at under $2k have something or the other I don't like about them while the Opus don't really have anything I don't like and I love their sound. And from what I've seen so far they raised their prices for the series II's.
post #117 of 1297 Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 PM

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone can help,
I have purchased a wharfdale 7.1 system and am connecting to a yamaha rx-v659 receiver.
Everything is fine and the system sounds great EXCEPT I cannot get any sound from the sw-250
I have run auto setup several times from the receiver and tried manually as well but not a peep from the sub
I note it turns on and all functions operate from the remote but notice all lights turn off after about 10 seconds and wondered is that is normal?
My old db dynamics sub works fine in place of sw-250 so seems I am getting signal from receiver and cable is ok?
Any help greatly appreciated from Aussie user
post #118 of 1297 Old 03-20-2007, 09:15 AM

Sounds like the auto-on is not functioning correctly. Does the sub have a On/Off/Auto switch? If so try setting it to On and see if it plays. If it does there may be an issue with the sub's amp.

I have sound equipment.
post #119 of 1297 Old 03-28-2007, 11:19 AM

I am considering the DFS speakers (diamonds), and read all of the posts on this thread about them. I figured that anyone who has these, probably following this thread. Can anyone else add anything about them. I noticed that some people are using them as sides in a 7.1 system. I want to use them as rears in a 5.1 system. According the Wharfedale brochure, they are designed to hang on the rear wall in a 5.1 system.
post #120 of 1297 Old 03-28-2007, 01:15 PM

I'm curious as well since they are bipoles and not dipoles. Was planning on doing (eventually) DFS for sides and EVO 8/10 for rears but in my current layout the opposite would be much easier to implement.

I have sound equipment.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish
Gear in this thread - Sp870 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page