Wharfedale Owners Thread - Page 46 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1351 of 1365 Unread 05-12-2015, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers View Post
Yes and Yes.

I have my Evo 40s bi wired and amp'ed, via an Emotiva UPA5 and my Evo Centre amped on the 5th port of the amp.

I let the Denon X4000 power the 4 Evo 10s as the rears.

Seggers
What was the difference you heard when bi-amped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1365 Unread 05-12-2015, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
What was the difference you heard when bi-amped?
I would love to say that I have golden ears and tell the difference between all things, but I can't.

I did it mainly to stop an aging Onkyo AVR from over heating when trying to drive a 7.1 setup.

However, when cranked up a bit, it does sound pretty darn good.

Seggers
Zorba922 likes this.

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, PC DX12 sub, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and a Sony BDPS6200. There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
post #1353 of 1365 Unread 05-21-2015, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone get a listen to any of the 200 series? Looks like they have been in the UK for a bit and MusicDirect has some. Liking that they can put closer to walls with their down firing port design.
post #1354 of 1365 Unread 05-24-2015, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Guys,

Need assistance, as seen in my signature I have the Wharfedales AT500 and Xarus (centre). I love my floor standing AT500 but I find the xarus a bit weak. im about to pull the trigger on a centre speaker and have Yamaha NSC-444 as a replacement.

do you think it will be a good match up? how bout a KEF C6LCR?

Where I live don't stock different types of Wharfedales (AT and xarus atm) so hence im going for the Yamaha.

Pioneer VSX-919ah / Wharfedale Atlantic AT500 Fronts Speakers / Wharfedale Xarux Rears and Centre Speakers / Wharfedale SW150 Sub / WD Media Player / LG BD player
post #1355 of 1365 Unread 05-25-2015, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey there...

Just to be thorough, have you tried raising the center's volume on your receiver?

I'd look into contacting Wharfedale to get a recommendation from them, and possibly help you find a dealer that may have any in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1356 of 1365 Unread 05-25-2015, 07:23 PM

Well, after about 3 weeks of steady breaking in, I am really enjoying my Diamond 10.1s...the sound has a lush musical quality so enjoyable that I don't mind the bit of treble detail that it gives up! Not really hearing anything "veiled" about these speakers---that was the criticism I often found when researching them, but I can't agree. At first I had them set on "small" to avoid congestion since I'm using them with a 12" sub but as they broke in, went back to "large" to get a little bit of extra fullness and that seemed to push them from "ok" to "great." I don't listen to anything truly bass heavy anyway, and usually listen at fairly moderate volumes, so am not really worried about damaging them especially since I'm not a fan of the sort of mega-LFE blockbuster movies that would run the highest risk.

I'm usually a "function over form" sort of guy but I have to say it's impossible not to love the curvy-yet-slim shape of these things...exactly the way I like my women!
MarlinFan likes this.
post #1357 of 1365 Unread 05-25-2015, 07:25 PM

Only question now is whether to bi-amp or not...they sound so good already that I'm feeling pretty lazy about it, lol
post #1358 of 1365 Unread 05-25-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlinFan View Post
Hey there...

Just to be thorough, have you tried raising the center's volume on your receiver?

I'd look into contacting Wharfedale to get a recommendation from them, and possibly help you find a dealer that may have any in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks I never thought about contacting Wharfedale. I was thinking this Yamaha then I realised they are selling it here for $200 more than what people used to pay for a few decades (years) ago... so I flagged that and did more research online. I have found some mission speakers 79CSE that have gone down in price. I somehow like buying blind. I wonder if similar spec centre speakers from a different brand/make will have the same output?

Where I live (Sydney Au) don't supply the matching centre for my Atlantic speakers. I wasn't knowledgeable back then when I purchased my system (its my first one still) and the place I got it from only offer Xarus centre speakers. Thinking they are all the same.

I have owned my system for 5yrs now still going strong except for the weakness in my centre even though its rated at 150w at 6ohms.

Pioneer VSX-919ah / Wharfedale Atlantic AT500 Fronts Speakers / Wharfedale Xarux Rears and Centre Speakers / Wharfedale SW150 Sub / WD Media Player / LG BD player
post #1359 of 1365 Unread 05-26-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrossover View Post
I have found some mission speakers 79CSE that have gone down in price. I somehow like buying blind. I wonder if similar spec centre speakers from a different brand/make will have the same output?
I honestly don't know. That's like playing blind buy Russian roulette!

I came across www.jbhifi.com.au and see that they have most of the Atlantic series in stock, other than the center. They -might- be able to place a special order thru whoever their distributor is. So if Wharfedale or jbhifi can't help you, I see you having to go planetary on your quest. I don't really see much of anything Wharfedale Atlantic here in the US, but Canada and France seem to have also gotten said series.

Another thought hit me. Have you considered using a third AT-500 as your center channel?
post #1360 of 1365 Unread 05-26-2015, 11:14 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba922 View Post
Well, after about 3 weeks of steady breaking in, I am really enjoying my Diamond 10.1s...the sound has a lush musical quality so enjoyable that I don't mind the bit of treble detail that it gives up! Not really hearing anything "veiled" about these speakers---that was the criticism I often found when researching them, but I can't agree. At first I had them set on "small" to avoid congestion since I'm using them with a 12" sub but as they broke in, went back to "large" to get a little bit of extra fullness and that seemed to push them from "ok" to "great." I don't listen to anything truly bass heavy anyway, and usually listen at fairly moderate volumes, so am not really worried about damaging them especially since I'm not a fan of the sort of mega-LFE blockbuster movies that would run the highest risk.

I'm usually a "function over form" sort of guy but I have to say it's impossible not to love the curvy-yet-slim shape of these things...exactly the way I like my women!

LOL. I just upgraded to the Diamond 10.2s with the CS center. I could not agree with you more. "Lush musical quality" that blew me away . Now to figure me out some rears..
Zorba922 likes this.
post #1361 of 1365 Unread 05-26-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I honestly don't know. That's like playing blind buy Russian roulette!

I came across www.jbhifi.com.au and see that they have most of the Atlantic series in stock, other than the center. They -might- be able to place a special order thru whoever their distributor is. So if Wharfedale or jbhifi can't help you, I see you having to go planetary on your quest. I don't really see much of anything Wharfedale Atlantic here in the US, but Canada and France seem to have also gotten said series.

Another thought hit me. Have you considered using a third AT-500 as your center channel?

Hi MarlinFan,

Thanks. actually my whole home theatre kit was bought from JbHifi. They only have Wharfedale atlantics in surround and floorstanding and only sell XARUS wharfedale centres.

when you say using a third AT500 (or im assuming you mean from the same series like a bookshelf speaker which is available through jbhifi as well) do you mean using a bookshelf as a centre channel? never crossed my mind. every seemed to have proper centre channel.

post #1362 of 1365 Unread Yesterday, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Hi MarlinFan,

Thanks. actually my whole home theatre kit was bought from JbHifi. They only have Wharfedale atlantics in surround and floorstanding and only sell XARUS wharfedale centres.

when you say using a third AT500 (or im assuming you mean from the same series like a bookshelf speaker which is available through jbhifi as well) do you mean using a bookshelf as a centre channel? never crossed my mind. every seemed to have proper centre channel.
I was thinking of you using a third tower, as I've seen people do that. HOWEVER....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wembl...fer/1064577683

Look at his second picture. I swear that looks like the center channel you're looking for. Maybe he's open to making a deal. Happy hunting.

Last edited by MarlinFan; Yesterday at 09:33 AM. Reason: Wembley Downs is really far from Sydney!
post #1363 of 1365 Unread Yesterday, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of you using a third tower, as I've seen people do that. HOWEVER....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wembl...fer/1064577683

Look at his second picture. I swear that looks like the center channel you're looking for. Maybe he's open to making a deal. Happy hunting.

hehehe how awesome is you? however, it looks like its not atlantic centre as you know all wharfedale cabinets are consistent with their model design. And the unfortunate part.. that place is like a distance from California to Miami florida ... takes a good 5-6hours on the plane hehehe.

so the cost is not feasible. im really thinking of pulling the trigger on a different brand for the centre even the cabinet colour may look different too! hehe

post #1364 of 1365 Unread Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hbcueducated View Post
I have some Diamond 10.5s (black) that I don't use and will be selling. Nice sounding towers.
I might be in the market for these.
post #1365 of 1365 Unread Today, 07:11 AM

Quote:
hehehe how awesome is you? however, it looks like its not atlantic centre as you know all wharfedale cabinets are consistent with their model design. And the unfortunate part.. that place is like a distance from California to Miami florida ... takes a good 5-6hours on the plane hehehe.

so the cost is not feasible. im really thinking of pulling the trigger on a different brand for the centre even the cabinet colour may look different too! hehe
lol. Got my geography lesson for the day! Amazing what you can do with Google.co.uk. Know anyone that speaks Korean? I came across a few shops that claim to have it.

Anywho, I strongly recommend you check in first with Wharfedale first before you pull the trigger.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Sp870 Sp870 , Wharfedale Opus 2 3 Speaker Pair Piano Finish
Gear in this thread - Sp870 by PriceGrabber.com